[PGT] Canucks vs Quacks ... Huge Game

Rocket-68

19 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i rather they stick with what worked previously.. have boeser miller with whomever ep hog an whomever and keep the joshua bluegar garland.. at least 2 of the lines worked before and continue tinker with the ep line.. rather than have 1 line that works and 3 lines that doesn't do much

I'm really hoping they can find good chemistry with lindholm and some marginal guys, like the blue dak gar line.

Cause with those 3 centres, if we could drop blueger to the 4th, who seems to find chemistry with anyone he plays with.

We would be a force, we gotta be able to roll 4 lines in the playoffs if we are gonna go far cause we lack the top end talent up front that Colorado and Edmonton have, and LA scares me with their trap 1-3-1 system.

Its the Vegas model or bust in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, 27 Percent said:

The "winning is winning" argument only works while we're actually winning. If we fall flat once the playoffs start, well the signs were there that the team wasn't really playing well and the "winning is winning" argument becomes the neglected to fix the glaring issues argument. 

Only time will tell but I had a lot more confidence in this team earlier in the season.

In our last 5 wins, only 1 has come from a team with a winning record. We've lost to 4 teams with a winning record in that stretch. 

For those of you who don't know, teams with losing records don't typically make the playoffs so I don't see exactly where our wins are going to come from.

"If"

So you had more confidence earlier, did you? How about before the season started? Bet you weren't as confident then (either). 

Despite the team giving you plenty of reason TO have some confidence, you cherry pick a run where they're not killing it. 

They are fixing the glaring issues....the pp scored a couple of times and looked better. Yes, Petey needs to up his game but, in the meantime, we have others kicking it up a notch. 

LOL...we don't HAVE a losing record.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Breadnbutta said:

I really like the line of Garland with Dak and mills.

With everyone healthy.

Höglander Pettersson Boeser

Joshua Miller Garland

Mikheyev Lindholm Lafferty

Suter Blueger Podkolzin

Di Giuseppe/Åman/Bains

Hughes Hronek

Cole Soucy

Zadorov Myers

Juulsen/Friedman

Demko

DeSmith

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser (feel you need Mik's speed on that line)

Hog-Petey-Lindholm (Imo you have to load up Lindholm with good players, he doesn't drive his own line. The offence will come on this line)

Dak-Blue-Gar (Could be like the HBK line from Pits when they won their cups. Will pretty much carry play when on ice)

Podz-Suter-Laff (energy line that won't hurt you and two big bodied wingers can get in on forecheck and cause havoc) 

36 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

"If"

So you had more confidence earlier, did you? How about before the season started? Bet you weren't as confident then (either). 

Despite the team giving you plenty of reason TO have some confidence, you cherry pick a run where they're not killing it. 

They are fixing the glaring issues....the pp scored a couple of times and looked better. Yes, Petey needs to up his game but, in the meantime, we have others kicking it up a notch. 

LOL...we don't HAVE a losing record.

Almost like no team is going to be on a heater over an entire 82 game season or something. 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

53 minutes ago, 27 Percent said:

The "winning is winning" argument only works while we're actually winning. If we fall flat once the playoffs start, well the signs were there that the team wasn't really playing well and the "winning is winning" argument becomes the neglected to fix the glaring issues argument. 

Only time will tell but I had a lot more confidence in this team earlier in the season.

In our last 5 wins, only 1 has come from a team with a winning record. We've lost to 4 teams with a winning record in that stretch. 

For those of you who don't know, teams with losing records don't typically make the playoffs so I don't see exactly where our wins are going to come from.

Imagine being this blatantly obtuse when we by far have the best record against top 10 teams at 15-5-3 or a .717 win percentage. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

"If you can find ways to win"

Some here used to use that against us....and when other teams barely beat us they came back with "good teams find ways to win" and "you have to be good to be lucky".

Now that we're scraping out some wins that people have penciled in as gimmes they're using them as a strike against this team to say they're not that good. Because they didn't just roll through everyone.

I see a lot of double standards being applied in an "us" and "them" way.

JT's right....no one cares in the end how teams win...it's THAT they win.

Is there reason for concern? Maybe. But no team just slays it every game, no turning  back. There are good teams out there battling to prove themselves and on any given night they can put it together and have a good game (or two). And good teams can fall away a bit...doesn't define them. It's the tally at the end of the season that gives a clearer picture of things.

I kind of agree. 

In the playoffs I agree 100%. Don't care if the win is a squeaker, or because the refs helped us, or if Demko steals it. A win is a win.

BUT

Right now, I'd much rather see the team playing better than they are. I'd take a few losses if it meant seeing the powerplay start clicking, or Petey catching fire, or the 4th line starting to contribute on the board.

I'm happy we won yesterday, but at this point I'm less worried about wins, and more worried about what we're seeing on the ice from a team that's about to head into the playoffs.

I believe they have the right personel so go really deep this year, but visually they do not look like a team that can win a 7 game series against the other western teams, exception maybe WPG And I've been watching a lot of those teams recently.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Another brilliant interview with Tocchet...

He is magic... so humble... never forgets he co-pilots in the coaching staff...

Pays homage to all the greats, and always has a quick one-liner... Love listen to his pressers...

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Imagine being this blatantly obtuse when we by far have the best record against top 10 teams at 15-5-3 or a .717 win percentage. 

I don't really get it, some folks always look for the worst angle on this team. 

• Cheers 4

27 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Interesting this is page eleven.  I'm just seeing some early rumors the Canucks may be throwing another # in the hall of fame.

Nah, can't be. 11 ? seriously?

Oh well, sorry; guess it's already old news....

what's the date?

The only ring Messier should be inducted into here:

IMG_5249.gif

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it seems to me most "canucks fans" on the internet aren't actually fans of the team, they're just fans of pissing and moaning about the team. 

it's so exhausting. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Like I've said, they should find a new team if this one makes them so miserable. 

• ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, tas said:

it seems to me most "canucks fans" on the internet aren't actually fans of the team, they're just fans of pissing and moaning about the team. 

it's so exhausting. 

It's a vocal few, they are just really loud 

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

40 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

I kind of agree. 

In the playoffs I agree 100%. Don't care if the win is a squeaker, or because the refs helped us, or if Demko steals it. A win is a win.

BUT

Right now, I'd much rather see the team playing better than they are. I'd take a few losses if it meant seeing the powerplay start clicking, or Petey catching fire, or the 4th line starting to contribute on the board.

I'm happy we won yesterday, but at this point I'm less worried about wins, and more worried about what we're seeing on the ice from a team that's about to head into the playoffs.

I believe they have the right personel so go really deep this year, but visually they do not look like a team that can win a 7 game series against the other western teams, exception maybe WPG And I've been watching a lot of those teams recently.

Yes. This is an honest view. Its not "negative".  Its realistic.

As a long time Canucks fan, the angst is part of the package.  I don't know how someone can be 100% satisfied with how the team looks at the moment so close to the playoffs. I too don't care about wins or losses right now, just in the play on the ice.

I can hold two types of fan in my brain. The one that cringes at times (what?....you're pairing Myers with Hughes?), and one that is the prime optimist and expects a win every night. We have a truly great team right now. But everything has to go right, as JR said. That includes things like....Petey has to find that other gear before the playoffs start....Demko must get back to 100% form in the few games he'll have left......Lindholm must be healthy and contribute at a high level if we have any shot of going deep.....and of course the team must stay healthy because we do not have a lot of depth.  There's plenty for a bruised and abused Canucks fan to stress about. I am trying not to.

I think we can beat any team out there on a given night. I do, and I will expect it once the first playoff game starts. I believe in this team when they are firing on all cylinders.  But its difficult for any long time Canucks fan to suppress all the worries.  I've had my heart ripped out too many times to not have some trepidation.  But at the same time my brain goes....WOOOOOOOO! All the way baby!  Go Canucks Go!  You can do it!!!

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, kilgore said:

As a long time Canucks fan, the angst is part of the package.  I don't know how someone can be 100% satisfied with how the team looks at the moment so close to the playoffs. I too don't care about wins or losses right now, just in the play on the ice.

I can hold two types of fan in my brain. The one that cringes at times (what?....you're pairing Myers with Hughes?), and one that is the prime optimist and expects a win every night. We have a truly great team right now. But everything has to go right, as JR said. That includes things like....Petey has to find that other gear before the playoffs start....Demko must get back to 100% form in the few games he'll have left......Lindholm must be healthy and contribute at a high level if we have any shot of going deep.....and of course the team must stay healthy because we do not have a lot of depth.  There's plenty for a bruised and abused Canucks fan to stress about. I am trying not to.

I think we can beat any team out there on a given night. I do, and I will expect it once the first playoff game starts. I believe in this team when they are firing on all cylinders.  But its difficult for any long time Canucks fan to suppress all the worries.  I've had my heart ripped out too many times to not have some trepidation.  But at the same time my brain goes....WOOOOOOOO! All the way baby!  Go Canucks Go!  You can do it!!!

well as a fan for 30+ years I seem to manage. 

it's about purging yourself of expectations. 

Edited by tas
  • Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I think we can beat any team out there on a given night. I do, and I will expect it once the first playoff game starts. I believe in this team when they are firing on all cylinders.  But it's difficult for any long time Canucks fan to suppress all the worries.  I've had my heart ripped out too many times to not have some trepidation.  But at the same time my brain goes....WOOOOOOOO! All the way baby!  Go Canucks Go!  You can do it!!!

If you're 45 or so or older, then yes you've got a free pass.  

Doesn't mean we need to be bitter though.   And if you're going to be a realist, then the realist is we were a bubble team, on the low side of making a wild card spot this year.   And now are challenging to have the 3rd maybe even 2nd best regular season in franchise history.     No we haven't won anything yet, but from where i'm sitting having gone through the 80's growing up,  still haven't lost hope.   Don't count the 70's was still too young.   Realistically, now, with 32 teams, we should average a cup every 32 years - and just like flipping a coin, even if it's heads 99 times in a row, the 100th flip it's still 50/50.     Maybe just relax and enjoy it more.    Have seen mediocre regular seasons win cup(s), great ones win nothing.   Usually, it's one of the better ones that actually wins though, and this team absolutely is one of the better ones, even without Demko. 

As for younger fans, i'd say anyone who's stood by this team through the JB era  your equals, that's a lot of skin in the game too.  Tempering expectations is definitely different than only seeing the flaws and ignoring the positives.   And for sure there is always hope too. 

Personally would rather have this season we've had then all good or all bad (and sneaking in either way).   Going into the playoffs that is.    Teams aren't playing their back-ups against us and resting players. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Pears said:

It's like someone was thinking with only 27% brainpower, or 100% brain power and just not very bright 🤭

• Cheers 1