[PGT] Canucks vs Quacks ... Huge Game

Rocket-68

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Or some people might see some issues with the team and also understand that it usually takes teams multiple times in the playoffs before they truly make some noise as a contender.

Contrary to many of the chuds here, that doesn't mean they aren't cheering for the team as much as anyone 

Likely several underlying reasons for people to react the way they do. And yeah, anyone saying how someone should be a fan is goofy.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

Thanks.  They don't call you Doctor for nothing.

I try and approach every game, regular season too, positively.  In fact I've never made a prediction score where they lose, even when they were, well, losers. I can't start a game with that kind of preset. I couldn't enjoy watching that way.  Its more of an general defensiveness, spanning decades. I hate that I have it. I'm working on it.  A first round win would help greatly.

Go Canucks Go!

Same here as far as approaching the team positively. I don't have that defensiveness. I get it though. That's fine and understandable. I was forced to deal with a certain defensiveness years ago in different forms in my personal life so I'm more prone to letting go of that.

This season has been extremely positive. For good reason. You could see it coming last year. As a result, the few chronically negative got exposed this season. It's an opportunity for change.

This season, as compared to the negativity and doom from last season, is evidence of hope for the better. The hope we were looking for over the past few years.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

I wonder if it is just long term fatigue having so many high expectations over the years and still no big prize. "Here we go again" syndrome.

That's on them though, not the team.

Let's face it, THIS team isn't responsible for past failures for the most part. So to tie them in like they are is a product of people's own frustration but it isn't really relevant. Different team.

I mean, the team now or the one 2 years ago? Sure, the core's the same but some of them were just breaking in too. So it's about keeping things in perspective which many don't do. 

435316715_10160841018585549_522934746152

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

That's on them though, not the team.

Let's face it, THIS team isn't responsible for past failures for the most part. So to tie them in like they are is a product of our own PTSD. Different team.

I mean, the team now or the one 2 years ago? Sure, the core's the same but some of them were just breaking in too. So it's about keeping things in perspective which many don't do. 

435316715_10160841018585549_522934746152

Absolutely it is about the individual fan, not the team per se.  Its still a real experience though. It ultimately makes as much sense as when people compare teams' head to head stats over an extended period.  How the Canucks did against Toronto over the last 25 years is irrelevant to how they match up now, for example. 

29 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Likely several underlying reasons for people to react the way they do. And yeah, anyone saying how someone should be a fan is goofy.

No one's telling anyone how to be a fan.

But there likely are ways to conduct yourself on a fan site and if you only chime in to rattle chains and tell everyone how it is, reading the room also becomes important. Criticism is welcome....but constantly being critical, win and lose, becomes a bit suspect. Why do they bother at all? Not giving the team any credit ever for what they HAVE done to only focus on what they haven't. 

And aren't you kind of doing the same here? 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

No one's telling anyone how to be a fan.

But there likely are ways to conduct yourself on a fan site and if you only chime in to rattle chains and tell everyone how it is, reading the room also becomes important. Criticism is welcome....but constantly being critical, win and lose, becomes a bit suspect. Why do they bother at all? Not giving the team any credit ever for what they HAVE to only focus on what they haven't. 

And aren't you kind of doing the same here? 

I told you guys the new forum should have had a locking door…

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I told you guys the new forum should have had a locking door…

I think we should hold cage matches to settle things.

Live streamed. Get your bets in.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dom said:

Demko traveling with the team after they said he wasn't going to. Very odd. 

Tocchett also said Demko may be ahead of schedule.

I believe the 6th is the first game he can technically play so not surprising they’d want him to start practicing later in the week to potentially get ready for the game on the 8th.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Getting a healthy and rested (core player) Demko back is huge.  Since Jan 2-Mar 9 his record

had been:  23 - 17 - 6.  The guys is a brilliant goalie and a huge piece of this team.  DeSmith has

worked hard to keep things going, but the time will come for his to step aside and hand over

the reins to the master net minder.  6 loses in 23 games. Bring it on, Demmer!

Edited by higgyfan
  • Desmenko 2

3 hours ago, Cali Canuck said:

I'd say "he may as well have sat on the bench with a cigarette while giving the fans the finger"

I think I saw him do that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

I play a lot on the BC Lottery Corporations sports betting pages on Playnow.com. I bet "the Canadian" a lot which is five games, the outcomes are multiplied across every combo of the five, so i can get 1 or 2 wrong and still win money, it is about 1/3rd of my bet back if i only get two right: I rarely get less than two right. Often I get 4/5 or 5/5. Anywho...the point of the long winded story is, I know to bet on the team most likely to win, even if that team is playing against Vancouver. I am an optimist when it comes to our club, but when it comes to my money, I am a realist. No shame in calling it like you see it. This year is super easy to be an Optimist, because I see that they can win every game they play, and in fact have won nearly 70% of them. That is not too shabby!

Yeah, I'm not a gambler. Used to play a bit of the Sports Action when it first came out.

But I always used to think...similar to your strategy....that if you are a fan of a top team, ( I suppose it could be any top team in any league) especially now or even back in the past President's Trophy winning team years, one could easily predict that the team would most likely win more than they lose in the season.  That they will finish above .500.  So if I bet $100 on every game to win, I'd pretty well be guaranteed to be ahead by the end  of the season.

Also that way I'd never have to bet against them. :classic_cool:

Maybe next season.

edit:  Thinking about it more, I guess it would depend on the odds given on each game if your winnings outpaced the times you lost the whole $100.  I was probably thinking simplistically that you win $100 every time you are right. Like I said, I'm no gambler.

Edited by kilgore
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Looking at the other nhl results tonight we can see that few "elite" teams are perfect - nyr, florida and avs all lost

Imagine if we lost to the Blue Jackets right now? Good lord the forum would explode lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cali Canuck said:

I'd say "he may as well have sat on the bench with a cigarette while giving the fans the finger"

Trying to remember the guy who really was smoking on the bench. I'm thinking Boldirev? 

39 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Looking at the other nhl results tonight we can see that few "elite" teams are perfect - nyr, florida and avs all lost

Add TB.

Jets losing.  Oils tied with Blues.  

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Curious to hear from the hyper critical on here on the Avs, Rangers, and Panthers losses.

If the Canucks get no excuses what do we determine from those games? Are those teams in serious trouble? 😂

Avs - Cup

Panthers - Finals 

NYR - Conference Finals

Oil - Conference Finals

That experience matters

1 hour ago, Guntrix said:

Demko will probably need a few games to get up to speed.

Hope he gets those games in the regular season and not in the playoffs where the margin of error is smaller.

He's going on the 3 day roadtrip, so I would think the plan is to play him.  He stays home if he's not ready.

I know the offence was a little janky before Demko got hurt, but we really clamped down in his absence.  I wonder if the guys can play a little more aggressive when he gets back.  Or not and we’ll just be that much tougher to score on I guess.