[PGT] Canucks vs Quacks ... Huge Game

Rocket-68

17 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

In trying to describe the Messier era to my wife, I explained, "he may as well have skated laps with a cigarette while giving the fans the finger". Too harsh?

Not harsh enough. And exceedingly accurate. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

In their last 12 games, the Canucks record is: 8-3-1.  The 3Ls were not easy Wins for their opponents;

2 of which could have gone either way.

Of the 12 games, their #1 (all-star Vezina potential nominee) goalie only played in 3.

I'd say the team is coming off a pretty good run of games by winning a lion's share of the games.

This notion that they are entering the playoffs on a downward trend is ridiculous. 

My guess, is that they are one of the healthiest teams in the league heading into the playoffs, and

Demko is coming back well rested and ready to help his teammates win some playoffs games.

It's been a long, gruelling season, with many ups and downs, so I'm sure the boys are ready to finish this

business and start playing some serious hockey. 

Btw, the Oilers record in the past 12 games: 8-3-2.  I wonder if Oiler fans are talking down

their team like many Canuck fans see to be doing.

So well said, thank you. The Ducks got embarassed yesterday and I don't care about standings, they are playing for jobs and pride and today was not going to be easy

• Like 3

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Perhaps but that OEL buy out is looming 

Not a worry until we need to sign Demko and Hughes. Then it gets interesting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kurtis said:

Garland is a beauty.. and just think people were calling for his trade last year..! 

I had heard he asked for a trade last summer, and figured if you don't wanna be here, don't the door hit ya...but he explained himself well on an after hours, and I think he wants to be here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I had heard he asked for a trade last summer, and figured if you don't wanna be here, don't the door hit ya...but he explained himself well on an after hours, and I think he wants to be here.

He is a massive piece of our team and I Love his compete and attitude...want him here long term 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Canucks playing average on the road:  "Going home will help big time with home cooked meals and practice time."

Canucks playing average at home: "Going on the road will help big time. They're probably sick of being at home."

🤣

Not nearly as contradictory as your suggesting.

These guys are human beings and we're all creatures of habit and routine. As welcome as the long homestand's arrival was 3 weeks ago, I'm confident they've been itching to get back out on the road again for at least a week now. 9 games straight at home is not the norm for these guys and it can't help but throw them off balance slightly just in terms of the ups and downs that each season brings them with the mix of travel and home games.

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

OK but devils advocate... everytime someone says this team is a good team, they follow it up with... "if" the powerplay can get going, or "if" we get our scoring back or "if" we can kill off a few more penalties... there's always something off aboit this team.

That's where I argue that we aren't a great team if we are not clicking on all cylinders... do we have the potential? You bet, but are we playing like a great team. No, no we are not. And that's fair to say.

I will never stop cheering and will for sure cheer with 100% support always, but it doesn't make me completely blind to their shortcomings.

But you're talking as if there aren't fans of every team in every city in every sport doing the very same thing.

Much like you, there are fans of every team out there who take pleasure in analyzing and dissecting every little nuance of the team and shining lights on the parts that are broken or, at least, not firing on all cylinders.

It's totally understandable. It can be a big part of the fun of following a sport and a team to dream of it being the best team ever and imagining all the personnel changes, line combinations, systems play, special teams deployment etc that could be tweaked this way or that to make them live up to all the potential we see in our minds and become that perfect or almost unstoppable team that just lays waste to the competition as they steamroll their way to a championship.

But it's just not very realistic.

Only the very, very few greatest of great teams in the history of all sports have a perfect season and playoff run. Look at Boston last year and how the wheels fell off in the post season. Even the great dynasties of Mtl, NYI and Edm had ups and downs within their seasons and times when one or more aspects of their team were far from perfect.

You can believe what you want but there's no way you can say this isn't a great team.

The greatest? Not even close. But definitely great.

Just look at the season they've given us and just the fact that so many of the whiners here and on FB and Twitter, SN650 and elsewhere, deep down, are really just those who know this team has the potential to go on a deep run but they're afraid to hope cuz they haven't learned to manage expectations and to balance hope and excitement for what could be with the pain of loss and adversity that is even more likely in a tournament as tough as the Stanley Cup playoffs.

You want a team that's guaranteed to bring home the prize?

Keep dreaming

Ya want a team that's got a really good shot of making some waves, possibly even going deep and maybe, just maybe, even bringing the whole city alive with OMFG here we go once again?

You're in the right place

Edited by Steamer4GM
3 weeks, not 2
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Sergiomomesso said:

Kind of pathetic to let a guy grab your stick and throw it in the corner and just put your head down pout to the ref about it. Take a penalty and cross check the guy right in the ribs next shift. 

Where’s the guy who levelled Cody Ceci?

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

- it isn't an excuse, it's just how those injuries are recovered from.

Next season, he will be back to his former speed and  in that knee.

It was a mistake to not let him get some extra rest from time to time; hopefully Toch will have learned from this.

We should have kept Kuz and dumped Mik for a bag of pucks.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Where’s the guy who levelled Cody Ceci?

Right? Should've dropped the gloves and tuned the lowly Duck up for such an act of disrespect. Who needs Petey's wrist n' hands intact for the playoffs anyways? Only a softie Swede would stand for such shit! Joshua should've come to his defense for that matter! What could go wrong?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Joshua's progression to a dominant power forward is all but complete. Hes developed quickly during his time here. He might have progressed faster than any player over the last year. I think of vincent lecavalier with that between the legs goal. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Team should rest Lindholm until his wrist is 100%. We're going to need him in the playoffs creating offense. And without a wrist he won't be creating much offense.

The only offense we've seen from lind-🏠 this year.........giphy.webp?cid=790b7611p777uehidp1te3szg Get that wrist better!

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, KFAN said:

It wasn't a pretty win, especially against a bad team on their 2nd in 2 nights. What can you say about Garly and Dak! That line, when JT gets it a bit more together should be awesome.  Now if only Petey's line could do their thing. Silovs did well as a backup to the backup. We've got good enough goaltending and defense to do well in the playoffs.  We just need the offense to be better.

11 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Since ASG they've been having troubles holding the lead, need to nip that in the rear end with playoffs around the corner 

11 hours ago, CaribouCanuck said:

That was way harder than it should have been.. but a win's a win. 

11 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i didn't really watch the game was just listening to it on and off.. but regardless.. we need to fix this blowing leads in the 3rd.. sure we won but barely against one of the worse team in the league on a back to back.. blowing leads late in the 3rd is starting to become a trend that we need to fix asap.. we were lucky we were playing a bad team.. otherwise the non 60min effort ain't gonna cut it.

10 hours ago, Gurn said:

Not good enough.

Playing a team, that played yesterday, then travelled to here.

a team that was 46 points behind them in the standings.

a team that has a brutal pk.

10 hours ago, Pears said:

We should have handled this team given the circumstances but a win is a win and that's all I'm happy and caring about. 

10 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

A win is a win…but man, the team needs to work towards winning ‘better’. I know that sounds spoiled but the expectations going into the playoffs are a bit higher than eeking out a win. 

10 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The game wasn't pretty but the win was important. 

9 hours ago, elvis15 said:

This team needs to go paintballing or something to reset and just enjoy themselves. Glad they hit 100, but they've got to be able to get back to that December form where they're playing with confidence.

7 hours ago, Captain Kirk said:

This seems like it was WAY closer than it should have been?

7 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

A performance like this afternoon's game by the Canucks, and considering the Ducks had played the previous day, shows that either; We're conserving energy and making sure no one get's hurt, or we are stinking at roughly the halfway points of games. Tocchet has to get the "play for 60" thing across.    Almost expect to blow a lead lately. 

Lots of valid concern by most "normal" Canucks fans, that our offense has dried up while we struggle to barely win games in any sort of convincing fashion anymore - even against bottom feeder teams like the Ducks.  Hope this is all part of "The Big Plan" because if it isn't, we'll be swept in the 1st round playing like this - that is a certainty. 

Fingers crossed Demko makes it back in time and Tock-it rest a couple of our top players - especially QH, who's been overplayed by him for sometime now and looks tired.  Ditto for EP40 who has looked injured for the last few months - sit him out and let him get better.

Forget about clinching the president trophy - it is worthless and bad luck anyhow and just hope they manage things carefully in the last 3 weeks with the playoffs in mind.  That's more important!

• Cheers 3
  • Wiener 1

6 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

I had that injury, hurt to walk for over a year, let alone play top tier hockey

Hopefully he recovers faster than I did

If he ever fully recovers

I guess he's our hospital experiment 

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Lots of valid concern by most "normal" Canucks fans, that our offense has dried up while we struggle to barely win games in any sort of convincing fashion anymore - even against bottom feeder teams like the Ducks.  Hope this is all part of "The Big Plan" because if it isn't, we'll be swept in the 1st round playing like this - that is a certainty. 

Fingers crossed Demko makes it back in time and Tock-it rest a couple of our top players - especially QH, who's been overplayed by him for sometime now and looks tired.  Ditto for EP40 who has looked injured for the last few months - sit him out and let him get better.

Forget about clinching the president trophy - it is worthless and bad luck anyhow and just hope they manage things carefully in the last 3 weeks with the playoffs in mind.  That's more important!

Man I brought these concerns up last before last game and got fucking roasted lol. I was worried before it was cool.

Edited by 27 Percent
  • Cheers 2

9 hours ago, HKSR said:

Canucks playing average on the road:  "Going home will help big time with home cooked meals and practice time."

Canucks playing average at home: "Going on the road will help big time. They're probably sick of being at home."

🤣

yeah, change is good. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Fans need to all collectively take a deep breath and say “We’re a good team”.

I know we all tend to overanalyze and constantly worry the wheels are gonna fall off but lets just support the team and not focus on the negatives so much.

The fans, like the team, need to be heading into these playoffs with confidence. There’s lots of things to be confident about right now. I honestly can’t remember a team that has been this good defensively in almost all my years as a Canucks fan. If the offense can start clicking and Demko can get back and in form we can be a very good team.

While the team is working on their game, as a fan start working on getting ready to cheer this team on with everything you have. The best time of year to be a fan is right around the corner. Meet it with excitement and passion not fear! 

Great post.   Get that being a fan the last decade hasn't been easy.    Agree too, overanalyzing, none of us have all the data.   We don't know who's been playing with stuff, or what Tochett and his guys are telling the guys to do and prepare for as individuals and as a  team.    

There for sure are a lot of leaders in the group, from the top of the org right on down.    Playoffs were the goal, and that's been met.    Next up playoffs.     Continue to make a new reputation.   Our D is finally full of NHL caliber guys!  Goaltending continues to be a strength, and we all know these guys can score.     Tochetts done an incredible job.    Going from a maybe wild card spot to a maybe a contender...That's something to celebrate.    This appears to be the dawn of a new Canuck era.  

Especially give EP some slack.   Kids just committed most of his hockey career, and likely all his best seasons to us.    Having two elite centers, is something this org has rarely had.    Those guys can share the torch.   

Brock has  become the player we all hoped for (and few kept that belief he would be anything more than a support player..and an expensive one at that).   We finally have a top pairing RHD!  Our D ... can't say enough about that, the last time we had 7 NHL caliber defenseman was 2011, led by QHs who's been nothing short of brilliant. 

Juulsen/Cole/Myers ... not many teams that wouldn't be happy to have that as your 5-7.   And it's finally "Yuge!" again.     Haven't seen that since the early 2000's.    Soucy, wait until the post season, remember well what he did against us in the bubble,  how's SEA doing without him?

Also agree with Gretzky.   "This team can go as far as they believe they can".     Don't mind believing with them.     There is no such thing as a perfect hockey team anymore.   TB might be the closest since the cap came in, and also agree with Brayden Point "Canucks have all the components of a championship team".    

Plahoff experience, well they did have the bubble, and Allvin was sure to bring in some cup rings,  Cole and Bluegar.    Our D is going to ground and pound.   Demko, well we all know what he can do when on his game.   EP, i'm betting he's saving the best for last.  

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1