Re-signing Priorities?

Diamonds

I'm just wondering what everyone's top 3 re-signing priorities are this summer.

Mine are:

1) Joshua

2) Hronek

3) Blueger

HM: Zadorov, Lindholm

Joshua has established himself as the driving force of our bottom six. Hronek is harder to replace than Zadorov (especially with Soucy already signed). Blueger has been a huge part of our PK and shouldn't cost too much (plus has good chemistry with Joshua).

Depending on how Lindholm looks when he comes back from injury and in the playoffs he might bump Blueger out of my top three. Zadorov I mostly worry is just going to be asking for too much.

So what are yours?

I'd put Zadorov above Blueger. I think Blueger could be more easily replaced than Zadorov. I probably agree with the rest.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1) Big Z

2) Joshua

3) Hronek 

- Big Z is awesome. He uses his size a lot better than that Giraffe and has a lot of good skating ability. Outside of Hughes, he is our next best end to end skater on the back end.

- Raty could be a a cheap and viable option to replace Bleuger

- Hronek was #1 but dropped due to his reliance on Hughes and inability to carry his own pair as a top tier defender.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

This is a tougher question than it sounds.
     Hronek is the most important unsigned player by a pretty wide margin. This being said if he wants to price himself out of Vancouver we should let him. He is a great partner for Hughes but has not really shown an ability to carry a line. Tanev among others have all looked good beside Hughes. He needs to sign a deal that reflects the reciprocal affect of him on the team is. The team is better with him than not and he will not be a #2 dman on a lot of teams. 
     Zadorov is a player I want to keep a lot. He brings the physical play like no one else on the team, has great wheels and has truly fit in here. Price is still a factor, but I am actually more willing to give a slight overpay to big Z than Hronek. 
     Joshua is next on my priorities. He may just be a very discounted top six player. Physical play, reliable in the defensive end, great teammate. I don’t think the recent “slump” (not really much of a slump but definitely not dominating like earlier in the year) is unrelated to Joshua being out. His presence changes games. 
     Lindholm, Blueger, DeSmith have all shown something and should be brought back if the deal is right. Gonna be a very interesting summer in Canuckland. 

• Cheers 1

Hronek, Zadarov, Joshua.    It does depend on asks though.    We all heard the old Uncle Jim's "ran out of time" line, definitely could happen to Allvin.    At least with Hronek they can qualify and try and re-sign later.    Like to keep all 3 if possible. 

• Cheers 2

I'm aware cap is key and signing any or all of those mentioned in this thread is gonna be a chore and a half for management. But to play along, I'm keen on:

-  Joshua, Zadorov, Myers; we want big dudes!

-  Hronek; cuz he and Huggy make a top #1 pairing for us that every team desires!

-  Bluegar, Lindholm; cuz we need centres that are PK talented.

Our team will look dramatically different next season for sure. I've an idea from reading and listening to hockey related stuff regarding our situation come off season. We'll lose some key guys that have been great for us this season.

I'm guessing management will look to save some cap by bringing in young guns; Karlsson, Podz, maybe Raty, Woo, or even Lekkeramaki, to take the place of those positions we lose next summer. In doing so management is hopeful one or two of these young guys works out. Depending on who we resign, these moves will provide some cash to bring in another affective defenceman and that desirable scoring winger for Petey to pair up with. 

However, since we have 'em now. I'd like to see us prioritize  Hronek and Joshua. Bluegar and Zadorov as HM.

• Cheers 1

Hronek 

Josh

Z

Blueger

I'm not wanting Hronek at 8 ml.  

So what can we get for him in a trade if that's the case? 

I think Josh should be thankful to our coaching staff for his success and sign a team friendly deal.  I recently stated that he was overrated around here, but maybe I was wrong about that. He has looked really good since he care back...no rust. 

Blueger should be easy to sign

If lindholm has a great playoff that will be a tough decision to spend significant Cash on. 

• Cheers 1

Hronek

Joshua

Blueger

Zadorov

Lindholm***

Myers

* At this point he may be willing to take a cheap, short-term deal to try to recoup his value. If he wants to try that in Van I think it could work. A la Sean Monahan. If he wants a big contact no thanks.

Edited by sashimi
  • Cheers 1

Sign 3:
1. Hronek, it has been as his partner that QH has had his first Norris-worthy season. 
2. Big Z, we always hear how soft the team is, Z is the counter to that, plus he's an excellent big man with good wheels and hands. Second pairing with Soucey playing the right side.
3. Joshua, size, grit, speed, and hands that are desired and hard to find (L2 w/JT and Brock).
Everybody else can go, and you fill out the roster with Abby guys, Karlsson (L1 w/Petey and Hogs), Johansson (D3 pairing with Juulsen), Pods (bottom six), Baines (bottom 6), and Raty (4C).
I would add a wildcard, and sign Goldobin. He has had a fantastic year in the KHL getting more than a point per game. He is that high-end top-6 winger that Petey's been missing, and maybe now at 28 is ready to play within a team structure to get his second bite at the apple

My dream Roster:
Hogs, Petey, Goldy
Joshua, JT, Brock
Mik, Suter, Garland
Karlsson, Raty, Pods

Oman, Baines

QH, Hronek
Z, Soucy
Johansson, Juulsen
Brisbois, Woo

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan
  • Cheers 1

If Hronek asks too much go for Pesce at a lower price. There are a couple of others cheaper than Hronek. Other ufa's to consider:

Edmondson

Hanifan

Tanev

Brendan Dillon

Dumba

Matt Roy

8M is too much for Hronek 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I take Hronek as an assumed.

Joshua is top priority amongst forwards.

We have been whining/screaming/crying for a decade to get a player like Zadorov and really think we need to re-sign him.

Blueger may be too pricy for 4th line C if the 3rd line isn't reunited.

Lindholm just can't afford so not even considering.

I let Myers walk probably Cole as well as cap is just going to get tight.

I trade Brock at peak value this offseason to make the roster more workable, there is no way we can afford him after next season with the cap penalty jumping up and EP and Hronek's deal in place and the end of Quinn's contract hanging over our head like the sword of Damocles.

• Cheers 1

Hronek, Joshua, Zadorov, Blueger in that order and I think we can keep all of them.

Let Cole, Myers and Lindholm walk.

We'll have some spots in the lineup that will need filling but that can come from <1M UFAs or AHLers. If Blueger asks for too much then he can go too but we have to keep our decent defencemen and Joshua is proving his worth all over again, and will do some more in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

1) Big Z

2) Joshua

3) Hronek 

- Big Z is awesome. He uses his size a lot better than that Giraffe and has a lot of good skating ability. Outside of Hughes, he is our next best end to end skater on the back end.

- Raty could be a a cheap and viable option to replace Bleuger

- Hronek was #1 but dropped due to his reliance on Hughes and inability to carry his own pair as a top tier defender.

Agree with everything you've stated.

I think Big Z is a beauty. Solid character guy too. 

He does struggle defensively, but I think giving him more time to work with Gonchar and Foote and he could elevate that side of his game.

My only fear is he is going to price himself off the team. He is going to get a lot of attention during the playoffs and his agent will start negotiations way high.

If the rumours of Hronek turning down a very solid offer are true, then we might expect the same from Z.

• Cheers 2

21 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Joshua

Zadorov

DeSmith

hm: Blueger

Good call on DeSmith. If him and Demko have a great relationship as a tandem, they why mess that up by bringing in someone new.

DeSmith is arguably the best backup we've had since Cory Schneider, with none of the drama.

15 hours ago, bathgate said:

Joshua, Zadarov, Bluegar , Myers (max 3 mill)

Hronek and Lindholm will price over cap restraint.

To me Hronek is the unicorn.   And get why they are trying to sign him.   Feel those that want Tanev back aren't looking at the big picture. 

Hronek, Zadorov and Joshua are clearly the prime targets. 

It will be very interesting to see what other fa's hit the market and consider Vancouver a prime destination. Maybe taking less to come here.

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I take Hronek as an assumed.

Joshua is top priority amongst forwards.

We have been whining/screaming/crying for a decade to get a player like Zadorov and really think we need to re-sign him.

Blueger may be too pricy for 4th line C if the 3rd line isn't reunited.

Lindholm just can't afford so not even considering.

I let Myers walk probably Cole as well as cap is just going to get tight.

I trade Brock at peak value this offseason to make the roster more workable, there is no way we can afford him after next season with the cap penalty jumping up and EP and Hronek's deal in place and the end of Quinn's contract hanging over our head like the sword of Damocles.

Liked that aside from Brock.   Unless we get swept this playoffs, and he doesn't get any points then sure maybe.   

To me a lot of these questions will be answered come playoff time.   Who steps up, who doesn't etc.   There will be other teams vying for Pesce and Tanev, (sorry i'm not as sentimental on Tanev as some are) will have teams vying for them.    Actually see is re-signing Brock, to play out Miller's peak and at some point playing with EP.   But only if he repeats this season.   Also don't think signing with us will be as much as somewhere else.   Pretty sure he knows the club did him a major solid and stuck by him, and will do the same by us. 

Agree, Hronek is all but a given. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Liked that aside from Brock.   Unless we get swept this playoffs, and he doesn't get any points then sure maybe.   

To me a lot of these questions will be answered come playoff time.   Who steps up, who doesn't etc.   There will be other teams vying for Pesce and Tanev, (sorry i'm not as sentimental on Tanev as some are) will have teams vying for them.    Actually see is re-signing Brock, to play out Miller's peak and at some point playing with EP.   But only if he repeats this season.   Also don't think signing with us will be as much as somewhere else.   Pretty sure he knows the club did him a major solid and stuck by him, and will do the same by us. 

Agree, Hronek is all but a given. 

Not saying want to trade him, we need to find salary somewhere though and he would have value, Mik is payed less and would likely cost to move. When Lekk is looking like next prospect up and Brock’s value is highest it has ever been and he has the bigger ticket price, kind of seems like primary option. 
That or a bargain basement D squad after the first pairing and somehow finding a third line C from within the organization when Raty has been playing wing. 

Hronek and Joshua are no brainers. Hughes and Hronek are god tier and Joshua is a monster. Blueger was great with Garland and Joshua but since Joshua got hurt I feel like Blueger lost a lot of value. He still is awesome but I’d mostly prioritize him if it meant those 3 are on a line all next year. 

Zadorov and Myers are close for me. Both have great value for us. Myers has an edge by handedness and how good he looks under Tocchet. Zadorov is younger and a physical madman but maybe a little less value than Myers. If there’s a way to keep both I’d love it. If not I’d probably be a slight preference to Zadorov strictly on age and we don’t have a ton of grit otherwise on the back end. There are dmen out there with a right shot that I think could be had in a trade to replace Myers without paying a ton. One guy on my radar all year is Nick Perbix. Leads Tampa in shot blocking and is a good cheap dman. If we lose Myers or can’t keep him, I would get on the phone with Tampa and offer a mid round pick and average prospect immediately. Him and Juulsen next year would fill 2/3rds of the right side for a combined 2 mil. Would be a great option if it came to it. 

• Vintage 1