Re-signing Priorities?

Diamonds

Hronek

Joshua

Myers

DeSmith

Big Z

Cole

For me, Blueger and Lafferty can walk, and I'd like to see Mikheyev and Suter traded. We need more size and grit up front, and these four guys have gone MIA this latter half of the season. Of course, this could all change come playoff time if any of them show up and perform - I just don't see it happening. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Hronek

Joshua

Zadorov

Blueger

I believe all of these players will be re-signed.  Allvin even mentioned that he wants all of them back.

I like DeSmith but Silovs looks like he may be ready for the big show, so we would save cap space to just let DeSmith walk and have Silovs as a cheap backup to Demko.

Lindholm is a possibility.  But in order to re-sign Lindholm that means that cap space has to be opened up.  Mikheyev looks like the guy that needs to be moved at this point.  That money can go to Lindholm.

Cole, Myers, Lafferty and Friedman can all walk unless they come back on cheap deals.  But all 4 can and should be replaced with cheaper younger players.

Boeser also needs to be re-signed this summer.  Allvin will not go into the season with Boeser as a pending UFA.  I would say that if a deal can't get done with Boeser then he will be moved in the summer, so most likely we could keep Lindholm in that scenario.  Lekkerimaki replaces Boeser in the lineup and then we would need to trade Boeser to get another top 6 forward, or maybe we get a top 4 RHD for Boeser and go the free agent route for a top 6 forward.

Not sure I feel comfortable signing Boeser to an 8.5x8 contract, which is probably what it will take to re-sign him.  Lots of people have said that Petey has regressed this year, but Boeser is a shell of himself from earlier in the year.  He has 8 goals in his last 27 games since the all star break.  So not sure he is really a 40 goal scorer.  I think he is a 30 goal scorer who had an incredible start to the season.  So he is at maximum a $7 million player.

Will be an interesting summer...

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek

Joshua

Zadorov

Blueger

I believe all of these players will be re-signed.  Allvin even mentioned that he wants all of them back.

I like DeSmith but Silovs looks like he may be ready for the big show, so we would save cap space to just let DeSmith walk and have Silovs as a cheap backup to Demko.

Lindholm is a possibility.  But in order to re-sign Lindholm that means that cap space has to be opened up.  Mikheyev looks like the guy that needs to be moved at this point.  That money can go to Lindholm.

Cole, Myers, Lafferty and Friedman can all walk unless they come back on cheap deals.  But all 4 can and should be replaced with cheaper younger players.

Boeser also needs to be re-signed this summer.  Allvin will not go into the season with Boeser as a pending UFA.  I would say that if a deal can't get done with Boeser then he will be moved in the summer, so most likely we could keep Lindholm in that scenario.  Lekkerimaki replaces Boeser in the lineup and then we would need to trade Boeser to get another top 6 forward, or maybe we get a top 4 RHD for Boeser and go the free agent route for a top 6 forward.

Not sure I feel comfortable signing Boeser to an 8.5x8 contract, which is probably what it will take to re-sign him.  Lots of people have said that Petey has regressed this year, but Boeser is a shell of himself from earlier in the year.  He has 8 goals in his last 27 games since the all star break.  So not sure he is really a 40 goal scorer.  I think he is a 30 goal scorer who had an incredible start to the season.  So he is at maximum a $7 million player.

This is very true... 

While all the focus has been on Peteys funk or lack of production, Boeser has also dropped down a gear...

Whether its from playing with Petey or in general is anyones guess, but the ASG has screwed up everyone not named Miller or Hughes...

I have a feeling, that if they can find a trading partner for Brock, he may be gone...

He may still fetch something in a trade, where as Mika wouldn't get us much bar cap space. 
Agree that they want to hold on to Hronek, Joshua and Z, but Hronek may be pricing himself out if he want to be the next Carter or Erhoff. Bluger is a good player, but not ne all end all...

yes off season will be interesting... and we all know JR/PA doesn't hang around. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hronek

Joshua

Zadorov

Blueger

I haven't done the math, but I would guess he was at least at that pace more than once (excluding this season of course where's he actually exceeded that number already) but he couldn't stay healthy.  Can't help but think that he (like Petey) is playing with an injury.  No special insight/knowledge from me, just speculating based on how like you said, how much more effective a player he was earlier this season.  

Boeser might end up being the same case as Horvat where we can't afford to keep him.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 2

On 4/4/2024 at 3:30 PM, Hairy Kneel said:

Hronek at 8M is a no.

I don’t think 8 mil is bad for him. Hronek is top 20 dman in points and I can only imagine where he’d be if he got the pp time Hughes gets. He makes Hughes better when they play together. He also has the ability to be a top puck mover on his own pair. He’s extremely versatile and offers a lot. Sure, he does have boneheaded moments and probably is towards the top of the team in giveaways, but he’s definitely worth a good chunk. 

3 minutes ago, CanucksFan26 said:

I don’t think 8 mil is bad for him. Hronek is top 20 dman in points and I can only imagine where he’d be if he got the pp time Hughes gets. He makes Hughes better when they play together. He also has the ability to be a top puck mover on his own pair. He’s extremely versatile and offers a lot. Sure, he does have boneheaded moments and probably is towards the top of the team in giveaways, but he’s definitely worth a good chunk. 

We can find a sub 5M placeholder till Willander DPetie etc are ready. 

Matt Roy is in the game tonight

Could be a great fit at 4-5M cap.

We could use the savings to keep one our bottom 6 guys.

Tanev

Dumba

Edmondson 

Pesce 

Are all lower cost placeholders. 

Hronek is going to want 8M? No.

We have to many guys to resign.

May be an image of shoes

About a thousand year old 'skates' from Scandanavian origin. The user could glide on ice with the smooth bone 'blade' portion. Kind of cool.

Podz and Hronek are RFA's, so we will get them.

As for the UFA's: I would want to bring back Dakota Joshua, Lindholm who won't be as expensive as folks think, and Zadorov.

I hope we part ways with Myers. Friedman is decent for depth and inexpensive, but Cole is aging out now. 

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Priority 1: Resign Hronek under $8M*

*if it’s not possible than priority 1 is to trade Hronek for max value. 

I’m not comfortable signing him to big money and have not been that impressed when he’s not played with Hughes. 

Priority 2: Resign Dak for under $4M

Priority 3: Make a decision on Zaddy + Myers 

I don’t think any signings happen until Hronek is figured out though 

and I think Cole could walk or come back as cheap depth and I could see us signing Tanev if he makes it to UFA

but if Hronek doesn’t sign, and we don’t get Myers on a team friendly deal and Tanev resigns in Dallas or gets a big offer too much to not refuse and doesn’t come here our right side is looking scary again.

priority 4: Teddy 

feel like he will resign here. I like him as bottom 6 depth but he’s not my highest priority and maybe I’m taking him a little for granted but I’d like to see us keep him if possible.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, CanucksFan26 said:

Roy who we played last night looks great at 5M as a placeholder for 2-4 years. 

8M x 5 

40M is too much

Joshua, blueger, tanev are priorities..  z i like as well.  No to myers and no to hronek for the price..  need more speed and size in top 6..  no to boeser next year as well..  too slow Nd one dimensional even though i think he is a wonderful person.  Petey needs wingers 

• Cheers 1