GFL 2023-24 (Multiple Openings - Apply Within)

Gator

image.jpeg.6763d4edbef0fd80dcc074f8cea560ad.jpeg

Dallas seems to have concluded our Entry Draft for 2024, with four picks inside the top 50!

3rd overall pick:LW Tij Iginla, what can i say, always be draftin Iginlas.

36th overall Pick (bought with Front Office money) D  Harrison Brunicke. mobile right shot Dman at 6'3" and skates like the wind.

47th overall pick:C  Lucas Pettersson. Higher Level playmaking than most at this years draft and fast fast fast, adds detail to a quick game, great for a pivot

49th overall (forgot we traded all down list picks to move up to this one): Charlie Elick. Everyone moved away from Charlie when he was called a shutdown Dman, but he skates at a superior clip and mobility level, and his physicality is among the top in the draft, add to that he actually puts up points pretty regularily for a 'shutdown' guy, bam.

I am thrilled with our draft but sad I am out of picks now in a way. Always next year. Good luck to the remainder of the draftees and GM's picking, I have to put in some time outdoors or my wife will be demanding a trade this offseason. 

• Huggy Bear 1

• Gator changed the title to GFL 2023-24 (Multiple Openings - Apply Within)

Dallas Stars, from the desk of the General Manager: 

Just making sure we have our RFA's qualified:

Quinton Byfield has an offer pending to his agent, and we certainly are qualifying him.

Arturs Silovs has an offer pending to his agent, and we certainly are qualifying him.

Egor Afanasyev has an offer pending to his agent, and we certainly are qualifying him.

We will qualify Boris Katchouk and Matthew Phillips as well. 

Taylor Raddysh has not been given a qualifying offer.

Minnesota Wild

Day 1 and 2 of the draft

'The start of something special'

To call this year challenging is an understatement. After a year that included losing 2 players, including our starting goalie to legal issues resolved around allegedly being massive piles of shit. A player retiring mid season and a player attempting to make an NHL coming back but eventually going unsigned. A player getting into legal trouble revolving around a social media post including drugs and having his contract terminated. And last but not least season ending injuries to several key players including our projected top defensemen who only played a small handful of games. Minnesota needed a win to justify the hardship this year, and boy howdy did we get a win in the 1st 2 rounds of the 2024 draft.

Let's welcome some incredible young talent, to the Wild.

Drafted first overall, the future of the Minnesota Wild, Macklin "don't call me Tij" Celebrini

Drafted 21st overall, Igor  "Workhorse" Chernyshov 

Drafted 40th overall, Teddy "Bear" Stiga

And last but not least, at 43rd, Dean "Wildabeast" Letourneau

With this influx of young talent back up the likes of Wright, Kulich, Cossa, Levi, Podkolzin, Coronato, Ostlund and many other exciting young players, the Minnesota Wilds future could not be more bright. We look forward to solidifying our team this free agency and bringing in some players in the summer to support our young team as we try to push towards the playoffs this year.

• Like 3
  • ThereItIs 1

MERCER TO THE JETS!

Winnipeg, MB - The Jets made a big splash during the opening round of the '24 GFL Entry Draft, sending the 25th overall selection and CHL Player-of-the-Year Jagger Firkus to the Vancouver Canucks in exchange for 22-year-old Dawson Mercer and the 170th selection in draft.

"We felt that our squad is in a win-now mode, and made a deal as such," Jets GM arby18 told the assembled media. "Firkus had a heck of a year, and the 25th overall selection that was available to us had some other players that our scouts were high on, but we don't believe that either of those assets were going to help us at the NHL level next year, whereas Mercer will."

Getting some retention in year one of the deal from Vancouver helped seal the deal, as the Jets remain in a bit of a cap crunch, but adding a 22-year-old who's signed to a deal that should age well was enough to make the Jets pull the trigger.

"We were able to move Eyssimont for picks 54 and 121 as well, and with our selection of Sahlin Wallenius at 54 we feel we still got first round value. And while Firkus has an incredibly bright future, is his ceiling that far off from what Mercer can offer us right now?" It's an interesting question.

With a bridge deal for Matty Beniers having been completed, and rumours of both Anton Lundell and Dustin Wolf begin close to getting ones as well, the Jets lineup for 24-25 appears to be taking shape. Look for Mercer to be a big part of that, as it is expected that he and the entire "real-life" Devils will have a bounce-back year.

Kaprizov - Beniers - Mercer

O'Connor - Cirelli - Rust

Copp - [Lundell] - Appleton

? - Staal - Bourque

Romanov - Theodore

Krug - Trouba

Mintykov - Carlo

?

Hellebuyck

[Wolf]

Edited by arby18
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

image.jpeg.2226e6d95b9551e1e4f17b9d09c7ffc6.jpeg

WPG.png.8f94a5840778b7cfeb3f7fff374749fc.pngExtension: The Winnipeg Jets have re-signed pending RFA Dustin Wolf to a 1 year term @ 2.00 million AAV.

WPG.png.8f94a5840778b7cfeb3f7fff374749fc.pngExtension: The Winnipeg Jets have re-signed pending RFA Anton Lundell to a 1 year term @ 4.25 million AAV.

i sent a few signings to you, hoping to hear back about them. I assume we can go over cap like real world but I am trying to move players but these trade lists are both very retricting and unforunate that consideration isnt made for a trade...Like uniting Tkachuk brothers in Edm for example

Anyways, i was fully pumped for this league but I guess I chose a good team but they are capped out for next year with a boatload of UFAs that somehow fit under the cap last year...

Im up for  a challenge but some flexibility to moving players would be nice. Like Selling a player to join a team for example much like we have to do when trying to resign them

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Does Calgary, MOntreal or San Jose have interest in trading for Ekblad? Thats his minimal trade list he will accept trades to unfortunately

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

i sent a few signings to you, hoping to hear back about them. I assume we can go over cap like real world but I am trying to move players but these trade lists are both very retricting and unforunate that consideration isnt made for a trade...Like uniting Tkachuk brothers in Edm for example

Anyways, i was fully pumped for this league but I guess I chose a good team but they are capped out for next year with a boatload of UFAs that somehow fit under the cap last year...

Im up for  a challenge but some flexibility to moving players would be nice. Like Selling a player to join a team for example much like we have to do when trying to resign them

IIRC you are allowed one compliance buyout. @Gator pls confirm?

Edit: Also, I believe NTC list will be reset July 1st.

Edited by Rusty Shackleford
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Viking said:

you can go over cap during the summer while you sort out your moves, but must be completely compliant by season kick off. I will let Gator speak to that though, as I am just the re-signings agent for a short term. Overall yeah I think you picked the best of the vacant teams but with that comes some handicaps like the GM sold all the draft picks to get good and of course maxed the cap in doing so with hopes of a cup win. Was close!

I am working through the offers and plan to have gotten back to everyone who sent them in by end of day, hopefully by end of morning. 

Cheers

• Cheers 1

PIT.png.9d66cfbf0dea135b81ec61aa10c7512a.pngExtension: The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-signed pending RFA Benoit-Olivier Groulx to a 1 year term @ 1.00 million AAV.

PIT.png.9d66cfbf0dea135b81ec61aa10c7512a.pngExtension: The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-signed pending RFA Pierre-Olivier Joseph to a 2 year term @ 2.25 million AAV.

PIT.png.9d66cfbf0dea135b81ec61aa10c7512a.pngExtension: The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-signed pending RFA Nikita Alexandrov to a 2 year term @ 1.00 million AAV.

PIT.png.9d66cfbf0dea135b81ec61aa10c7512a.pngExtension: The Pittsburgh Penguins have re-signed pending UFA Marc Andre Fleury to a 1 year term @ 3.5 million AAV.

17 minutes ago, Viking said:

I don't know if you are aware of this or if it will be of value to you but thought I should share this from our CBA.

3.10 Compliance Buyouts

Only a newly hired GM will be awarded a compliance buyout. When a new GM gets hired they are given the ability to use 1 compliance buyout. This buyout can only happen during their first offseason, and cannot be done mid-season. If a player is bought out with a compliance buyout their contract will be completely taken off of the books

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, Viking said:

During offseason you're allowed to go over cap by up to 10%, but must be compliant for the season.. 

As for compliance buyout out you can buy out 1 player (free of charge) as long as they clear unconditional waivers. If they have a NMC you can just buy them out as they aren't able to be placed on waivers.

There will be more flexibility in terms of Clauses being waived next year, but right now it can be a bit tough to move guys with Clauses. Keep in mind these lists expire on July 1st, so if these teams are not interested/low balling you can always wait until July 1st for the new lists

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Gator said:

During offseason you're allowed to go over cap by up to 10%, but must be compliant for the season.. 

As for compliance buyout out you can buy out 1 player (free of charge) as long as they clear unconditional waivers. If they have a NMC you can just buy them out as they aren't able to be placed on waivers.

There will be more flexibility in terms of Clauses being waived next year, but right now it can be a bit tough to move guys with Clauses. Keep in mind these lists expire on July 1st, so if these teams are not interested/low balling you can always wait until July 1st for the new lists

Okay, just don't agreewith how restrictive it is right now.

I have a cap strapped team that isnt close to a full roster and players have such restricted trade lists with no negotiation allowed it makes it impossible. I know I am new but to allow a team to strip a team of every pick for 2 years and be cap strapped then to have the old GM leave the team in that spot is quite unfair. Yes Tampa is a good team on paper...if you could keep a couple pendind ufa's...but there is 900k in cap space but nearly 20m in pending ufa's that just happened to fit on last years cap pay roll for the team.

I want to wheel and deal but most of the GMs for teams are NOT on here or discord to talk trades...at the busiest time of the league, anyways. I will try for another couple days but if it stays stagnant I will likely drop out of the league, sorry Gator

TBL.png.739a1ffaf1d533a566036fa020c5118d.pngExtension: The Tampa Bay Lightning have re-signed pending RFA Nils Aman to a 3 year term @ 0.925 million AAV.

TBL.png.739a1ffaf1d533a566036fa020c5118d.pngExtension: The Tampa Bay Lightning have re-signed pending RFA Riley Tufte to a 2 year term @ 0.850 million AAV.

TBL.png.739a1ffaf1d533a566036fa020c5118d.pngExtension: The Tampa Bay Lightning have re-signed pending RFA Samuel Fagemo to a 3 year term @ 0.850 million AAV.

MTL.png.2c014c0beb966a6617bfac5c3a20e291.pngExtension: The Montreal Canadiens have re-signed pending RFA Joe Veleno to a 2 year term @ 1.2 million AAV.

MTL.png.2c014c0beb966a6617bfac5c3a20e291.pngExtension: The Montreal Canadiens have re-signed pending RFA Ty Smith to a 2 year term @ 0.850 million AAV.

MTL.png.2c014c0beb966a6617bfac5c3a20e291.pngExtension: The Montreal Canadiens have re-signed pending RFA Max Comtois to a 1 year term @ 1.0 million AAV.

MTL.png.2c014c0beb966a6617bfac5c3a20e291.pngExtension: The Montreal Canadiens have re-signed pending RFA Santtu Kinnunen to a 1 year term @ 0.900 million AAV.

MTL.png.2c014c0beb966a6617bfac5c3a20e291.pngExtension: The Montreal Canadiens have re-signed pending UFA Kiefer Sherwood to a 2 year term @ 2.0 million AAV.

MTL.png.2c014c0beb966a6617bfac5c3a20e291.pngExtension: The Montreal Canadiens have re-signed pending UFA Chandler Stephenson to a 4 year term @ 4.8 million AAV.

MTL.png.2c014c0beb966a6617bfac5c3a20e291.pngExtension: The Montreal Canadiens have re-signed pending UFA Nino Niedereiter to a 2 year term @ 4.0 million AAV.