[GDT] Around the NHL [April 2024]

Just now, Bob Long said:

checks url... yep "canucksfanforum". 

If you expect people to fawn over McDicky, I'd suggest going to HFBoards/Edmonton 

Try talking to some younger hockey fans who don't care about team rivalries.  They have a far more objective outlook on hockey than people who are set in their ways and loyalties. 

I'm a McDavid fan because he's good at hockey.  I'm a MacKinnon fan because he's good at hockey.  I'm a Kucherov fan because he's good at hockey.  That's it.  I don't care what team they play for.  That doesn't dictate what I think about them in terms of ability.  Trying to craft narratives out of thin air makes you look unintelligent.

Just now, Miss Korea said:

Try talking to some younger hockey fans who don't care about team rivalries.  They have a far more objective outlook on hockey than people who are set in their ways and loyalties. 

great, they should fan the way they want to. For me, I'm here to support my hometown team. All others can get fucked. 

I'm a McDavid fan because he's good at hockey.  I'm a MacKinnon fan because he's good at hockey.  I'm a Kucherov fan because he's good at hockey.  That's it.  I don't care what team they play for.  That doesn't dictate what I think about them in terms of ability.  Trying to craft narratives out of thin air makes you look unintelligent.

Again, great way to fan if that floats your boat. 

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

great, they should fan the way they want to. For me, I'm here to support my hometown team. All others can get fucked. 

Again, great way to fan if that floats your boat. 

You can root for against anyone you want.  But you should at least respect their game.  Are you going to take anyone seriously who tries to tell you that Brad the Rat Marchand is an objectively bad hockey player?  Because that's the argument being presented against McDavid - that he's putting himself before the team by trophy hunting.  A completely false statement given the fact that his playing minutes have gone down at the end of the season, and his defensive metrics have gone up.

Just say you don't like him because he's an Oiler and he whines.  Don't make random shit up.

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You can root for against anyone you want.  But you should at least respect their game.  Are you going to take anyone seriously who tries to tell you that Brad the Rat Marchand is an objectively bad hockey player?  Because that's the argument being presented against McDavid - that he's putting himself before the team by trophy hunting.  A completely false statement given the fact that his playing minutes have gone down at the end of the season, and his defensive metrics have gone up.

Just say you don't like him because he's an Oiler and he whines.  Don't make random shit up.

Tbh you can certainly make an argument that both he and draibaby cheat for offence.

14 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Tbh you can certainly make an argument that both he and draibaby cheat for offence.

You simply can't.  Draisaitl is an offensive merchant - no doubt about it.  McDavid is not.  He is a very good stick-checker who will almost always backcheck into the defensive zone.  There is literally video evidence of him stripping the puck away from attackers in his own zone as well as the neutral zone.

Anyone who tries to say McDavid doesn't defend just isn't actually watching him play.

21 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Mac at full speed is terrifying if your team is playing him, but it's so fun to watch

Video from three month ago literally breaks down all three goals from last night

Edited by Miss Korea
  • ThereItIs 1

What ever decision they make with McDavid will be an insight into the Oilers mindset going forward, if he sits that probably shows that they’ve thrown in the towel on chasing the division, if they risk playing him that shows that they are really determined to try and win it. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Video from three month ago literally breaks down all three goals from last night

This video explains things well, he's one of the most relentless and dynamic talents in the league. I'm not sure there's a guy more driven to win than Mac tbh, or anyone who hates losing more. It's not just that he possesses dynamic speed and skill, but he's so smart and knows how to utilize his toolbox. 

As the video mentions, for a star his style is also more physical, he's not a player you can bully out of a game because he's already engaging that way from the get go. 

Edited by Coconuts

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

This video explains things well, he's one of the most relentless and dynamic talents in the league. I'm not sure there's a guy more driven to win than Mac tbh, or anyone who hates losing more. It's not just that he possesses dynamic speed and skill, but he's so smart and knows how to utilize his toolbox. 

As the video mentions, for a star his style is also more physical, he's not a player you can bully out of a game because he's already engaging that way from the get go. 

He has stated on record that his favourite player to watch is Nikita Kucherov.  Can't think of two guys with more opposing styles of play.  Inspires him to be more patient and slow the game down.  Not sure if I saw much of that from yesterday's game, but that is what he said!

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Mac at full speed is terrifying if your team is playing him, but it's so fun to watch

I think MacKinnon's speed gets forgotten about because of McDavid's early career highlights. But MacKinnon is an absolute burner and a straight up race between the two of them today would be very close. I think MacKinnon actually plays at top speed more than McDavid does.

It is amazing to watch when it's not against your team.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

You simply can't.  Draisaitl is an offensive merchant - no doubt about it. 

OK 1/2, I'm off to a good start 😁

30 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

McDavid is not.  He is a very good stick-checker who will almost always backcheck into the defensive zone.  There is literally video evidence of him stripping the puck away from attackers in his own zone as well as the neutral zone.

Anyone who tries to say McDavid doesn't defend just isn't actually watching him play.

its called having Hyman on your wing. Thats what changed, he's got better defensive numbers now because of his better linemate. 

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=EDM&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2024-04-18&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8478402&p2=8475786&p3=0&p4=0&p5=0

without Hyman, McBabies defensive numbers drop significantly - check out the GF% in particular with and without Hyman. 

1 minute ago, Diamonds said:

I think MacKinnon's speed gets forgotten about because of McDavid's early career highlights. But MacKinnon is an absolute burner and a straight up race between the two of them today would be very close. I think MacKinnon actually plays at top speed more than McDavid does.

It is amazing to watch when it's not against your team.

He does

This is from December, but I doubt anyone's overtaken him since

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

OK 1/2, I'm off to a good start 😁

its called having Hyman on your wing. Thats what changed, he's got better defensive numbers now because of his better linemate. 

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=EDM&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2023-10-10&td=2024-04-18&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8478402&p2=8475786&p3=0&p4=0&p5=0

without Hyman, McBabies defensive numbers drop significantly - check out the GF% in particular with and without Hyman. 

There is no questioning their chemistry.  This year Hyman became a forechecking monster which has resulted in extended possession time for that line.

But an Oilers hater should just dismiss him as a garbage goal merchant.

There is no questioning their chemistry.  This year Hyman became a forechecking monster which has resulted in extended possession time for that line.

But an Oilers hater should just dismiss him as a garbage goal merchant.

he has been far more lazy defensively in the past, there's no doubt about it. Hyman has been a real gift for him. 

What I dislike about him tho is his whinging. He complains every game, and its tiresome. He gets away with way to much yap at the ref's "because Connor" and its bullshit. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

A player's interview demeanour or overall personal character has very little bearing on a player's ability to score on the ice.  Carter Hart is a piece of shit.  Nobody is doubting his hockey ability or his teamwork.  Patrick Kane?  Big time frat boy.  Ovechkin?  Arrogant as fuck.  Do you doubt their ability to play as a team?  A player's personality might dictate their playstyle but it has nothing to do with their overall ability.  Nikita Kucherov and Nathan MacKinnon are polar opposites - one is laid-back and patient, while the other is a raging bull who floors it every chance he can get.  Is one personality better than the other?  No.

The further back we go in time the more your argument falls apart.  Edmonton was still climbing their way up the standings, trying to establish a better playoff position.  No shit McDavid was playing his socks off.  Did you forget what type of situation they were in to start the year?  Now that they're firmly in control of their own destiny, they're letting their foot off the gas.  Like, your argument is complete nonsense - McDavid has literally been played less than his season average this past month, and MacKinnon is being played more.  So when you try to spin it like McDavid is selfish or got overworked to the point of injury, WTF?  McDavid plays more while MacKinnon plays less.  That should be evidence enough that one team wants their guy to win the Hart (since he's never won one), while the other doesn't care.

Here's the thing that annoys me the most - I can't even about how amazing MacKinnon and Kucherov have been this year... because you're sputtering off complete nonsense about McDavid.  Just watch the goddamn game and stop hating on every little thing players do.  Everyone in the hockey community is debating over who's had a better year between the 3 top guys, and you're sucking all the fun out of it by trying to attack their integrity. 

Narratives narratives narratives.  That's what people resort to when they can't break down actual hockey plays and systems.  

A player’s interview demeanour has very little to do with his on ice ability. That is correct. However, it has everything to do with whether I want to respect that player or even care about them. I don’t. I don’t care about McDavid. He’s an arrogant prick along with his BFF Draisaitl and only an Edmonton fan would want to cheer for them to win a cup. 

I have no problem watching MacKinnon and Kucherov play. As well many other players. There are lots of guys I’ve hated over the last 30 years of watching NHL hockey.  McDavid and Draisaitl are probably two of the worst though. 

I get it. You’re a fan of hockey. There is nothing wrong with that. But if you really want to talk about McDavid and all of his exploits then you probably need to find a place with like minded people. Maybe an Edmonton fan site would work for you. 

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A player’s interview demeanour has very little to do with his on ice ability. That is correct. However, it has everything to do with whether I want to respect that player or even care about them. I don’t. I don’t care about McDavid. He’s an arrogant prick along with his BFF Draisaitl and only an Edmonton fan would want to cheer for them to win a cup. 

I have no problem watching MacKinnon and Kucherov play. As well many other players. There are lots of guys I’ve hated over the last 30 years of watching NHL hockey.  McDavid and Draisaitl are probably two of the worst though. 

I get it. You’re a fan of hockey. There is nothing wrong with that. But if you really want to talk about McDavid and all of his exploits then you probably need to find a place with like minded people. Maybe an Edmonton fan site would work for you. 

This goes back to my original point.  You probably would like McDavid more if he played for a random team like Anaheim or Carolina.  You would probably like Matthews more too.  And you would've HATED Crosby if he were a Flame or a Leaf.  Imagine if Bedard got drafted by the Oilers.  Imagine the hate he would get from us.  That's most of where all this is coming from.  You're not gonna see a Celtics fan try to say Kobe was a bad player.  They hated his guts, but nobody is crazy enough to say he sucked.

An Edmonton fan site would have the same problem as any other rabid fanbase - they think their team is being persecuted.  Every Canucks fan their team is the most persecuted.  Every Leafs fan thinks their team is the most persecuted.  Hatred is more powerful than love - it's a great emotion to have.  But don't confuse hatred for stupidity.  You can hate someone but still acknowledge their work ethic and team mentality.  You can't see past that.

I'm not going to root for another team when my team is in the playoffs.

Posted (edited)

There are several non-Edmonton McDavid fans the same way there have long been non-Washington Ovi fans and non-Pittsburgh Crosby fans, the same way many other fans around the league appreciate Hughes, Pettersson, and the twins 

One doesn't have to like McDavud or Draisaitl (or Kane, Perry, Wilson, Kucherov, and so on), but let's not pigeon hole individual player fandom, one doesn't need to like players to know talent when they see it

Edmonton and Toronto are my two least favourite teams, but they do feature some of the league's top talents and stars garner fans, it is what is

I don't root for the Kings but I'm not dure there's anyone on CFF who will sing Kopitar's praises more for example

As for taking discussion elsewhere, that's the entire basis for General Hockey Discussion forum, and these monthly threads by extension 

Sure, CFF will always be Canuck-centric, but this is the forum section, along with the trade and rumours section, where broader NHL discussion is king, even if that discussion is largely Canucks driven

At least that's why I make these threads now that Vintage has stepped back, because I find more enjoyment in tracking the league than I do simply tracking the Canucks, even on CDC there was room for broader hockey discussion 

We don't have to agree, we don't even have to get along, but I'm not cool with telling folks to leave regardless of which teams and players they like or dislike, that defeats the purpose of having sections for such discussion at all

Some folks hate Ovi for political Putin related reasons, some don't, folks on both sides of the spectrum still post here, folks can coexist 

Lot of folks on CFF provide valuable hockey insight, none should be pressed to leave for having player or team related views (within reason of course, there are rules and the like)

I vehemently disagree with telling folks they should leave over player related discussion 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I'm a little surprised Boston is still #1, 2011 was forever ago now 

I'd put both Edmonton and Toronto above Boston 

OK.  I know this is going to shock you all, so you may want to sit down before reading it but.....

The Sabres are once again mathematically eliminated from the playoffs as of yesterday.  🤬

Stand back up only after the shock wears off.

• Huggy Bear 1