[GDT] Around the NHL [April 2024]

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Watching the same matchup every year is boring

I'm also not expecting us to get that far

Yeah Stars are the team to beat in the west and I don't think we can get pass them. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 24K said:

Yeah Stars are the team to beat in the west and I don't think we can get pass them. 

I think there's a very good chance nobody does 

Easier said than done, they have vets but the Kings were lousy enough to build a very good prospect pool

LA's top tier vets were also younger then than Pittsburgh's vets are now

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Easier said than done, they have vets but the Kings were lousy enough to build a very good prospect pool

LA's top tier vets were also younger then than Pittsburgh's vets are now

so... the intention is to tank next year, or?

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

so... the intention is to tank next year, or?

Nah, they'll try for the playoffs, I just don't think they'll be moving picks much going forward 

Their core is too good for them to bottom out despite being on the older side, the Pens roster is closer to being built to compete than tank as a whole 

If they can get their powerplay figured out they could make it next season, it really cost them this go round 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Nah, they'll try for the playoffs, I just don't think they'll be moving picks much going forward 

Their core is too good for them to bottom out despite being on the older side, the Pens roster is closer to being built to compete than tank as a whole 

If they can get their powerplay figured out they could make it next season, it really cost them this go round 

then I don't understand the LA comp. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

then I don't understand the LA comp. 

It's not a good comp, Doughty and Kopitar were both closer to 30 as the Kings had their few lousy seasons 

They also made some savvy trades and UFA signings in Danault, Fiala, and Gavrikov, amongst others 

The Dubois trade hasn't looked great this season but that could still change 

Just now, Coconuts said:

It's not a good comp, Doughty and Kopitar were both closer to 30 as the Kings had their few lousy seasons 

They also made some savvy trades and UFA signings in Danault, Fiala, and Gavrikov, amongst others 

The Dubois trade hasn't looked great this season but that could still change 

so wth is Dubas talking about, doing it "like LA"?

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

so wth is Dubas talking about, doing it "like LA"?

Probably trying to paint an optimistic picture

The Penguins organization is due for some pain, it'll probably be a lengthy process 

Tampa's time will come too, probably sooner than later

Stamkos is 34, Kucherov is 31 in June, Hedman will be 34 in December, Vasi will be 30 in July 

Cupboards are largely empty, trading picks like candy will hit em eventually 

Edited by Coconuts
  • MillerTime 1

Posted (edited)

Makes his rookie season all the more impressive, he played every single game and averaged nearly 25 minutes a game

Edited by Coconuts

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/ryan-johansen-is-unlikely-to-play-again-in-the-nhl/ar-AA1nk0Bs?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=84b65d8044c3435eb5a693238206e2c4&ei=50

"

In a surprising note from talking to the media on Friday afternoon, Philadelphia Flyers GM Daniel Briere said that forward Ryan Johansen’s NHL career could be over.

“All I can tell you is I don’t expect him to be back,” Briere said, in a quote transcribed by Philadelphia Hockey Now’s Jon Bailey. “I don’t know, exactly, the situation. We’re dealing on the medical side with him.

------

The 31-year-old forward registered 13 goals and 23 points in 63 games, putting him on pace for just 30 points in a full 82-game slate. Johansen has scored at least 60 points five times in a season over his career, highlighted by a 71-point season with the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2014-15. He has another year left on his $4 million deal.

----------------

mal

• Huggy Bear 1