Will Cale Makar pass Quinn tonight in points ?

cuporbust

Will Makar pass Quinn tonight?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Cale take over the #1 spot tonight in points for defenseman?

2. 2. Will Quinn still win the Norris?

3. 3. Is Cale Makar a better offensive defenseman?

Hey guys. Curious what everyone thinks will be the outcome of the Makar / Hughes points race ( for defenseman). I'd say Quinn's better defensive play will keep him ahead in the Norris race , but not totally sure. Historically,  the d man with the most points tends to get the Norris, but hopefully Quinn can finish strong to silence that argument.  

Thoughts ?

There is a pretty strong argument for both. 

Quinn Hughes: 82 points (13 goals 69 assists in 74 games, +34 plus minus, 34 penalty minutes, 47 blocked shots, 24:44 TOI

Cale Makar: 81 points (19 goals 62 assists) in 69 games,  +15 plus minus, 14 penalty minutes, 128 blocked shots. 24:53 TOI

Edited by cuporbust

Hughes is certainly worthy of winning the Norris, and he's bad salad's equal, at least, offensively depending on how you value how they produce points. No team would turn down either player. 

Both are dominant players, I suppose it comes down to which style you prefer for a given teams makeup. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hughes is certainly worthy of winning the Norris, and he's bad salad's equal, at least, offensively depending on how you value how they produce points. No team would turn down either player. 

Both are dominant players, I suppose it comes down to which style you prefer for a given teams makeup. 

This for sure. Makar's a better goal scorer but Quinn's a better overall defender. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I think Quinn has an argument for Hart.  
Mac is getting it but I don’t think anyone has meant more to their team. 
He put this team in his back at the start of the year and hasn’t put them down. 

• Huggy Bear 1

32 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That depends entirely on which magic eight ball you ask 

Speaking of which, I have a magic 8 ball. I just have to find the damn thing.

• ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I think Quinn has an argument for Hart.  
Mac is getting it but I don’t think anyone has meant more to their team. 
He put this team in his back at the start of the year and hasn’t put them down. 

Hmm, as far as D go I'd honestly put Josi ahead of both Hughes and Makar when it comes to Hart talk

The Canucks probs make the playoffs this season with Hughes putting up lesser, but still impressive production, whereas Nashville almost certainly isn't in the mix without Josi having the season he has 

Preds have decent, if not unspectacular depth but lack the star power of the Canucks, Saros is a very good tender but Demko's been better, Josi's put up 76 in 74 games while playing roughly the same number of minutes as Hughes, whereas the next highest point total for a Nashville defender is McDonagh's 28 points 

I think with Quinn having a breakout season this year and really pushing into another level both defensively and offensively he for the first 3 quarters of the season was without a doubt the consensus top defenseman league wide.

I think overall Makar is a better defenseman, seems very close but I would give him the edge.

What kind of drives me nuts is the ability Hughes has to carry the puck, make dangles and shake off opposing players but he gets almost scatter-brained out there doing too many fakes and spins to the point as the season has gone on and teams are getting a better book on him he is skating into lower percentage plays or losing the puck. You can also see his energy levels dropped a peg too. Where as the first half of the season anyone who is anyone in the league and media was talking about his game, the insanity of his defensive takeaways and recoveries on top of his offensive game. 

He needs to be more direct and purposeful with his puck carrying and stop passing up shots or initial pass attempts for longer puck carries and stickhandling. 

All that said, I think Hughes has produced a Norris season this year. Makar and Josi are right there but what Hughes did for the better part of the season and how far ahead he was from his peers can't be taken for granted. I feel he is getting tired and holding onto the puck too long as the regular season winds down and I would hope the coaching staff can speak for him like it or not and reduce his minutes for even the last few games. He really needs a boost. 

Hughes will win the Norris.  Don't care if Makar passes him for points by a point or two.  When Makar won the Norris he didn't have the most points either.  Josi had 96 points and Makar had 86 points.  Hughes is clearly the better overall defenceman this year.  I'd even say there are one or two others other than Hughes that are better overall than Makar this year as well.  Dobson is having a better year than Makar.  So is Josi...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I don’t know. I didn’t think Makar deserved to even be nominated when he only played 60 games a couple years ago either but he was. I think there’s a bit of bias surrounding Makar. He’s amazing don’t get me wrong but I agree with @Elias Pettersson Dobson, Hughes and Josi have been better this year 

Edited by Devron
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Goals always should be weighted higher than assists.   I don't see QHs scoring more goals than Makar if they switched spots.   Makar does the end to end rushes and also will try and to score in close, QHs plays just inside the blueline to the hash marks, and that's where he scores from.  Edge Makar offensively, not by much though, almost even.  Feel the two teams are evenly distributed for apples (if they switched teams, COL is not as deep as their cup team was).    QHs has Makar beat this year on the D side.   By a good margin. 

QHs is having a better season.    It's not all about points, and no, the guy with the most doesn't always win.   If they did, EK would have a couple more on his mantle.   And Josi would and not Makar.    Plus a load of guys in the past as well.   If a D scores 100 he's getting the Norris, unless another D also gets there, have zero issue with EK and his lame sharts winning one ... not even sure that's ever happened don't think so, maybe Orr and Potvin that's it.   QHs Josi ...then Makar ...  hard to say.     Pronger likely could have won at least one more, maybe two, more but didn't.    Lidstrom did instead.   So yes i've seen a bias towards points, sometimes even when it's garden variety (which Lidstrom's were, sure glad we are seeing guys get 80-100 again).    

Blake won one.  And rightly so.   Chelios's (guy dropped them with Tony Twist ..that's not a normal 5'11 guy, like Bieksa fighting McGratton or Brahsear or Boodgard), and he was the reason why the 95 Canucks repeat was cut short, Chelios peak was awfully good and did it all.    Larry Robinson absolutely.   Borque was just so good at everything, offense/defense, including hitting like a tank, but wasn't the highest scorer.   Even his last season, with just over 50, deserved his runner up, not the highest scorer but usually around over 90.    There is a reason why Lidstrom couldn't win until he left and others aged out.   Al Mac, he was pretty good, as was Leetch.   As was Zubov.   

Housley, Coffey, Murphy ... Langway.    Doubt they will ever just consider points as the main factor (otherwise these guys win more and are finalists), but also don't think we will ever see another Langway (player and Norris) again.   Hedman.   That's this generations Weber,  Pronger before him. 

Weber is the one guy who the previous generation got boned.   Felt he was better in Sochi, then Doughty, just didn't score the one extra goal and  be the hero (something he did a lot of compared to his peers at the time anyways) .    That's a guy, who'd i'd of being happy to see win one, and was robbed once.     They took that hype right into the playoffs and into the cup and into the Doughty is the greatest in the world.   Didn't think he was.   So get that if others aren't happy with the eye test, and the awards, it doesn't always line up.  Sure he was very good, the best though?  Think they just wanted him to finally get one and not end up like Park.   Who was more deserving.   Instead that's Weber.    Who I still think was a better player, games played that is. 

QHs as of right now, wouldn't be completely robbed of a Norris (i've seen that happen twice, Lidstrom's final Norris,  was a joke).  But it sure would sting if Makar won.   Josi is a better candidate than Makar. 

Lidstrom beat Weber by five votes in 2011.    Really it should have been Weber, Chara and Visnovsky.   If they wanted a guy with points pick the guy with points.    He only played 23:28 minutes a game, was -2.     Visnovsky 24:17,  plus 18, more physical, and led the D in scoring and having a career year.

Was actually embarrassed at the time for the league.   And for Lidstrom. 

End of rant.    Makar is the current leagues love child and won't be surprised to see him get the attention. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1