[Article] Mikheyev leaves camp due to personal reasons

RWJC

9 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

He's overpaid for what he provides. Even moreso given our mismanagement of the cap over the years.

Bieksa thinks he's a guy to watch for having a big impact for our team.   Plays the right way anyways, and speed to burn.   Kuzmenko EP and Mikheyev can be one of the best 5 x 5 lines in the league.   

Where I do agree with you, is why spend to the cap?   Some flexibility would have been nice, and maybe spending that for cheaper younger versions of Beagle, LE and Roussel our PK wouldn't have sucked.   In the end I'm happy we made some trades to change, got the coach/staff  this team needs, and that Allvin seems to actually have a plan. 

• Like 1

The Tocchet effect? Pods in the dog house, Kuz benched, Mik okay to go, then leaving due to personal reasons after day one of camp BUT Tocchet says he might stay (apology?) (explanation needed as to demotion?)(demand for type of play) (threat of where/who he plays with?).

Contradicting messages? Personal can mean soooo many things.

I hate to paint Euro's especially from the Russians sphere but they/some aren't terribly highly educated and they aren't exposed to a lot of mind games by their coaches, there the coach says what he means and players do as they say still. Lots of structure, strangling structure. There is a "he means what he says". Changes can be seen as demotions or lack of respect or an insult which is much more impactful to a naïve type player.

MAYBE, maybe, maybe he got told they want him to play mostly along the boards, hit more and feed the star players more than trying to score himself, a role complimentary type player. Nothing wrong with a coach wanting that BUT take Mik's background into account. The leading scored on a team he led to their league championship, goes to TO who have Marner, Taveras, Mathews and Nylander, so he has lower expectations for a scoring role and can easily accept that. He signs with Vancouver to be a top six guy, has an injury but tries like hell to stick in the line up but ends up having to give up his spot (in his mind), works like hell to recover and then told he is to be a complimentary player that might not play on the top two lines and be expected to play like the lower skilled players. That might cause some angst.

Knowing some Russian players (mostly in the past) I can safely say they wear their hearts on their sleeves, forget politics. If management tries to play mind games or even say the things they will say in negotiations, some will respond negatively, think they are not wanted or are insulted.

You can't paint all hockey players the same, the game has changed, players can now dictate more where they will go and when.

BUT

It is probably as various stories and non stories are saying, family or something.

The only thing that seems to be confirmed is that it is not his knee, which likely means it is his knee. 😉

Didn't he have a knee injury in the TO playoffs vs Tampa?

Mikheyev is the only speedster we have in the lineup and the rest of the team is not even close.  Also with his PK proficiency and underrated offensive instincts, we need healthy Mikheyev on top of his game this season to keep the playoffs dream alive. 

Hope it's nothing serious and he will rejoin the team soon enough.

• Like 1

Just now, 1-d said:

Mikheyev is the only speedster we have in the lineup and the rest of the team is not even close.  Also with his PK proficiency and underrated offensive instincts, we need healthy Mikheyev on top of his game this season to keep the playoffs dream alive. 

Hope it's nothing serious and he will rejoin the team soon enough.

Shouldn't have traded Raymond with Ballard and that 1st..

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Bieksa thinks he's a guy to watch for having a big impact for our team.   Plays the right way anyways, and speed to burn.   Kuzmenko EP and Mikheyev can be one of the best 5 x 5 lines in the league.   

Where I do agree with you, is why spend to the cap?   Some flexibility would have been nice, and maybe spending that for cheaper younger versions of Beagle, LE and Roussel our PK wouldn't have sucked.   In the end I'm happy we made some trades to change, got the coach/staff  this team needs, and that Allvin seems to actually have a plan. 

I think that's an overly high expectation for them to be one of the best 5v5 lines, but I hope that is the case.

Spending to the cap has not only cost us assets from needing to pay picks to offload salary, but also cost assets we could have acquired by taking salary from other teams. 

I can only hope that Allvin's plan involves spending money more wisely. So far it's been hit and miss.

Mik is a talented player that brings an element of speed to the lineup that we otherwise don’t have. Whatever the reason for him to leave camp I hope it doesn’t take long to deal with and he comes back. We are better with him and don’t really have a suitable replacement that can do the same things. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Signing Mik wasn't the problem. He, and his contract, are fine. If anything we could use another player  like him on this roster, not one less. The problem was not moving out other wingers first. We should have just "paid" to "Bjorkstrand"  Garland last year like CBJ did. Imagine getting a couple extra mid picks for him right now....

On 9/21/2023 at 12:30 PM, Master Mind said:

This signing keeps looking worse and worse.

Hopefully he doesn't miss too much time.

On 9/21/2023 at 12:48 PM, -AJ- said:

Since his rookie year (which I'll assume he wasn't injured for and was just a scratch due to being a rookie), Mikeheyev has averaged 51 games per season in three years. He makes Salo look like an iron man. Assuming this is just a short-term thing, I'm not concerned.

That said, I still expect him to get injured again at some point during the year. His career high is 54 games played, so we should celebrate if he gets 55.

I'm fairly concerned even though the injuries have all been different and random. 50 games is not worth $5 mil even as he's top notch when he plays.

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s not prorated per se, the issue would be getting him back on the team once he’s healthy. 

If he’s missing all of training camp and some preseason, then he’s probably gonna be put of the lineup for awhile. 

Don't know how you feel about maybe some time in Abbotsford to get him up to speed in a not so do or die situation.

6 hours ago, TheGuardian said:

The Tocchet effect? Pods in the dog house, Kuz benched, Mik okay to go, then leaving due to personal reasons after day one of camp BUT Tocchet says he might stay (apology?) (explanation needed as to demotion?)(demand for type of play) (threat of where/who he plays with?).

Contradicting messages? Personal can mean soooo many things.

I hate to paint Euro's especially from the Russians sphere but they/some aren't terribly highly educated and they aren't exposed to a lot of mind games by their coaches, there the coach says what he means and players do as they say still. Lots of structure, strangling structure. There is a "he means what he says". Changes can be seen as demotions or lack of respect or an insult which is much more impactful to a naïve type player.

MAYBE, maybe, maybe he got told they want him to play mostly along the boards, hit more and feed the star players more than trying to score himself, a role complimentary type player. Nothing wrong with a coach wanting that BUT take Mik's background into account. The leading scored on a team he led to their league championship, goes to TO who have Marner, Taveras, Mathews and Nylander, so he has lower expectations for a scoring role and can easily accept that. He signs with Vancouver to be a top six guy, has an injury but tries like hell to stick in the line up but ends up having to give up his spot (in his mind), works like hell to recover and then told he is to be a complimentary player that might not play on the top two lines and be expected to play like the lower skilled players. That might cause some angst.

Knowing some Russian players (mostly in the past) I can safely say they wear their hearts on their sleeves, forget politics. If management tries to play mind games or even say the things they will say in negotiations, some will respond negatively, think they are not wanted or are insulted.

You can't paint all hockey players the same, the game has changed, players can now dictate more where they will go and when.

BUT

It is probably as various stories and non stories are saying, family or something.

The only thing that seems to be confirmed is that it is not his knee, which likely means it is his knee. 😉

Didn't he have a knee injury in the TO playoffs vs Tampa?

Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Master Mind said:

He's overpaid for what he provides. Even moreso given our mismanagement of the cap over the years.

He's bit overpaid sure, but that's just the reality of UFA signings. 

Suggesting his contract is going to weigh this team down like Pearson's was is just a dumb take.

• Confused 1