[Article] Mikheyev leaves camp due to personal reasons

RWJC

7 hours ago, TheGuardian said:

The Tocchet effect? Pods in the dog house, Kuz benched, Mik okay to go, then leaving due to personal reasons after day one of camp BUT Tocchet says he might stay (apology?) (explanation needed as to demotion?)(demand for type of play) (threat of where/who he plays with?).

Contradicting messages? Personal can mean soooo many things.

I hate to paint Euro's especially from the Russians sphere but they/some aren't terribly highly educated and they aren't exposed to a lot of mind games by their coaches, there the coach says what he means and players do as they say still. Lots of structure, strangling structure. There is a "he means what he says". Changes can be seen as demotions or lack of respect or an insult which is much more impactful to a naïve type player.

MAYBE, maybe, maybe he got told they want him to play mostly along the boards, hit more and feed the star players more than trying to score himself, a role complimentary type player. Nothing wrong with a coach wanting that BUT take Mik's background into account. The leading scored on a team he led to their league championship, goes to TO who have Marner, Taveras, Mathews and Nylander, so he has lower expectations for a scoring role and can easily accept that. He signs with Vancouver to be a top six guy, has an injury but tries like hell to stick in the line up but ends up having to give up his spot (in his mind), works like hell to recover and then told he is to be a complimentary player that might not play on the top two lines and be expected to play like the lower skilled players. That might cause some angst.

Knowing some Russian players (mostly in the past) I can safely say they wear their hearts on their sleeves, forget politics. If management tries to play mind games or even say the things they will say in negotiations, some will respond negatively, think they are not wanted or are insulted.

You can't paint all hockey players the same, the game has changed, players can now dictate more where they will go and when.

BUT

It is probably as various stories and non stories are saying, family or something.

The only thing that seems to be confirmed is that it is not his knee, which likely means it is his knee. 😉

Didn't he have a knee injury in the TO playoffs vs Tampa?

All I took from this is that you are insane. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As long as he can get in for the last couple of pre season games he should be good to go, don't think he's fully healed anyway. Do worry about his speed after this injury though.

Havent you seen rookie of the year?

He’ll be better faster and stronger!

In all seriousness though, it could be a while before he plays with full trust in his knee even if it is 100%

• ThereItIs 1

On 9/23/2023 at 6:03 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

As long as he can get in for the last couple of pre season games he should be good to go, don't think he's fully healed anyway. Do worry about his speed after this injury though.

Can you find any bio history? Injury history? Used to be out there but suddenly blank pages

Showed him on the ice the other day, sure didn't look close to coming back. It looks like there is something much more serious he went through.

As a person that had a total reconstruction of a knee he doesn't look close to a return.

He might have tweaked his knee again. And they just didn't want to put it out there. Good strategy by the team. They aren't obligated to tell us exactly what is going on. And it is info that can be used against the team

Edited by Blue
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Blue said:

He might have tweaked his knee again. And they just didn't want to put it out there. Good strategy by the team. They aren't obligated to tell us exactly what is going on. And it is info that can be used against the team

Ive been dealing with knee issues, torn ACL and meniscus. I can tell you first hand that as an athletic person, having my knee be damaged and holding me back from sports and sometimes day to day living can be mentally crushing.

I would expect him to have some personal/mental health days for sure

And like you say its best not to disclose this as it could create a target

Im looking forward to his return though. The team will need him on the PK

• Upvote 1