[PGT]Canucks vs Golden Knights

MikeyD

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We we're a totally different team before the break. 6 guys all chosen out, they got front and center of the league.  They got all the accolades but they didn't get the corollary nod by the refs. Stars are usually given the benefit of the doubt more often than others. Not our guys. Consequently we have to work harder to overcome weak calls. The Sedin's put up with so much crap over the years and know the level of frustration that can create. Zad gets 5 last night on a similar hit that Miller took a couple games ago, and Millers hit didn't get called.  It's been deflating for the team and for the fans. 

And that's why I feel we're behind the 8 ball 'again' heading into the playoffs.  There is definitely a US bump that we have to overcome every game. The refereeing isn't going to change but we have to maintain our composure and work our way from behind it every game.

The linesman had to step in for that high sticking call on Miller last night. But that rarely happens. Otherwise the refs weren't going to call it.

Smyl, Linden, the Sedin's all know this is part of what every Vancouver team has to endeavor to overcome. 

Same bullshit different pile.

The All-star game is such bullshit and teams should start boycotting or send their players with specific instructions not to get too involved. Every time we are playing well and have something to play for I see the all-star break happen and the players come back all disjointed and the team role we are is completely dissolved. This is exactly what happened again this year.

The refs once again had very little to do with us losing. Horrible execution, horrendous mistakes, and giving up goals seconds after we score were the main culprits yet again. It's very concerning our lack of ability to buckle down and to recognize key points in the game like the end and start of periods, as well as when to play it safe and not get scored on. Still extremely immature in that area.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

I think that's a real concern. Watching the oilers right now, they are playing with a lot of confidence which helps with winning games. I don't see that as much with the Canucks right now and likely other teams are seeing the same things fans are with them.

That confidence comes from playoff experience and success.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Bigger questions are: If the Canucks lose that game will it put them into a downward spiral and crush their spirit, and will it go hand in hand with losing the Division and changing who they play in the playoffs? ie) if they do lose the game and/or the Division will it impact their confidence in the 1st round?

Hard to say, but there's a good chance a win in that game could be what ultimately decides it for either team

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Until desmith had that great assist, I thought it was an even start, but that seemed to deflate them 

Yup, in playoffs games are mostly decided by mistakes. Wow, did we ever make a lot of them this game. Completely and thoroughly deserved to lose. Came out pretty good but poor decisions and terrible one on one coverage led to the  chance and then the big error by Desmith got them rolling. The second goal was horrible defence and then the PK let them down again. Game over.

3 hours ago, grumpyone said:

shows that the league KNOWS that they screwed up. 

Really just shows you don't know how hockey works. 

• Cheers 2

To be honest, I'm mentally preparing myself for a 1st round exit. 

But I see a silver lining. Maybe it'll take a complete ass-whooping in the playoffs for this team to really understand what it really takes to compete with the big boys. Championship teams aren't made overnight, and considering the Canucks have already blown out expectations, I wouldn't be too mad at a 1st round exit.

Trust the process. 

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

To be fair, they're not playing very well and, more importantly, not playing well against potential first round matchups.

I mean, there's a lot of cause for concern there 

My point is that these reactions are not fair or measured at all.

Yes, they have had a definite let down in play post-allstar but to write them off completely is an insane emotional response.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I wasn't the one to "sandbag" him.  The Canucks Upper Management did (in case you weren't paying attention) and why they tried to amputate him out from the line-up at TDL, just 3-1/2 weeks after they made that bad gamble on him.  That speaks volumes & says everything we need to know!

They obviously saw the same thing "Normal" canucks fans have seen from him, while he's been anchored here and tried to unload him but they couldn't find any victims feeble minded enough to take him off our hands - otherwise he would have been distant memory by now, menaing we're stuck with him - but just for a few more weeks - thankfully.   

We all wish he brought some value to the team - but the reality is he has brought little value and we could use that $5M bucks in better ways as PA and JR try to improve the roster in the long term.  In any event, this is really all a mute point because he'll no longer be a Canucks in 90 days as he's "a rental" anyways.

Let's call a Spade A Spade,  he's a $4,850,000.00 (only 55.5%) Face-off guy that is replaceable and I don't think anyone calls that money well spent when this team has so many other needs as is plainly visible - as we march towards building a roster strong enough to win us the cup in the coming years.  

P.S. In regards to your comment that "Kuzmenko has been mediocre at best this season", he has almost twice as many goals (that's double for "some people" that don't know what twice means) what Lind-🏠 has since the trade!  So if that makes Kuz mediocre with those numbers, I'm not sure what that makes Lind-🏠?

And just to be clear, I am not saying Kuz would have brought us a cup but I am saying that this teams fortunes changed right after that trade (for whatever reason) and also saying we overpayed for "a rental" like Lind-🏠 with 5 valuable assets.

No you've been sandbagging him and given him one of your dumb unnecessarily hyphenated names. Is there even any evidence the Canucks were even shopping Lindholm or were teams like Boston poking around and his name got out Boston has been heavy on Lindholm for at least 2 seasons now

• Vintage 3

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Adding Lindholm was a good bet, number 2 RH centre that can handle defensive responsibilities and help provide secondary offence. Wrist injury can severely hamper scoring, amazing he was still as good as he was on faceoffs.

What surprised me was not adding another top 6 winger at deadline, they weren’t terribly expensive and if you are going all in with first rounder already then go all in, we went on cold streak and management got cold feet. 
Plus, Lindholm was brought in for the playoffs, let’s see how he does in the playoffs before we make any judgements on that deal. It was a decent bet on one of the top trade targets this year, sometimes good bets still don’t work out, nothing is certain. 

Great post. The trade itself looked great when it happened as we secured the #1 center available, RH to boot, and seemed a great fit. Can't really blame management at all unless they knew he was already injured, which I don't think was the case.

In addition, like you said he was 100% brought in for the playoffs ... so if he heals up and plays like he can moving forward it could still be an excellent transaction. All depends on the playoffs.

• Cheers 4

What happened in Vegas can stay in Vegas.

QH what a beauty, he was the first D man to be picked in our pool, picked by me.

Having beers with the buddies they were giving it to me pretty good, I said he's winning the Norris this year, that got a good laugh.

I just won the pool and they aren't laughing now, this has been a great year so far and I think the best is yet to come.

GCG 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No you've been sandbagging him and given him one of your dumb unnecessarily hyphenated names. Is there even any evidence the Canucks were even shopping Lindholm or were teams like Boston poking around and his name got out Boston has been heavy on Lindholm for at least 2 seasons now

Yes, Boston was one teams they apparently tried to unload him to at TDL but obviously couldn't, as no one in their right mind would pay $4,875,000.00 U$D for an old swedish faceoff dude - as you allready know. 

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes, Boston was one teams they apparently tried to unload him to at TDL but obviously couldn't, as no one in their right mind would pay $4,875,000.00 U$D for an old swedish faceoff dude - as you allready know. 

29 is old?

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Aren’t we a lot ahead of LA and Vegas? 

In points yes. But in play? Maybe we’re a good regular season team but right now we’re not playing like a playoff team. LA still has the old horses in Kopitar and Doughty that have been there and done that. So their team culture is playoff style hockey. Vegas on the other hand is just a season removed from winning it all. Our style of play needs to improve heading into the playoffs. 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

So JT Miller is old and useless as well then no? How useless is Draisaitl he's almost 29 and useless I guess too.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Screw said:

My point is that these reactions are not fair or measured at all.

Yes, they have had a definite let down in play post-allstar but to write them off completely is an insane emotional response.  

I disagree, I think they are fair and measured given their performance in important games

21 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Are you that easily tricked? That was all baseless speculation by people trying to figure out how the Canucks could afford Guentzel. Trading him or Zadorov were the only possible scenarios to gain cap space. I highly doubt there was an discussion regarding that at all.

You also know very little about hockey if you think he's simply an old Swedish face-off dude. He averaged 31 goals per 82 the 5 years prior, 29 yrs old is right in the prime of his career. He's also known for his defensive prowess, and finished second to Bergeron in the Selke voting in 2022. If you are this poor at analyzing hockey it's no wonder all your posts look like chapGPT got into the whiskey. 

• Cheers 2

16 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Is anyone beyond Hughes and Miller planning to show up for the rest of the season?

Like what has happened to Elias Pettersson?

Before, he was distracted by not having a contract. Now, he’s distracted by what to spend all that money on. We have a few players that consistently show up: Miller, Hughes, Hogs, Garland and Joshua. Hopefully, Demko soon. Everyone else is a passenger. Summer surgery is needed.

If this is the lesson that they needed for the playoff intensity, this is it.   They may not have to wait until next year to gain any playoff experience.  Over the last month, LA and Vegas has been playing like the playoffs as their playoffs stake was much higher due to the chase by 9th place.  They may be able to figure out what playoff intensity is like and will start working on it as the coach has been preaching to them for a while.  I think that it is a good thing that they lost.  Had thee Canucks won and Vegas deciding to throw a game and increase their the intensity in the playoffs,  That would not what they want to prepare for.   It is all about preparation and this is a dress rehearsal experience that the Canucks needed.   Had Vegas clinched a playoff spot long time ago then Vegas would not put up an effort last night needed to win the game.

20 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Are you that easily tricked? That was all baseless speculation by people trying to figure out how the Canucks could afford Guentzel. Trading him or Zadorov were the only possible scenarios to gain cap space. I highly doubt there was an discussion regarding that at all.

You also know very little about hockey if you think he's simply an old Swedish face-off dude. He averaged 31 goals per 82 the 5 years prior, 29 yrs old is right in the prime of his career. He's also known for his defensive prowess, and finished second to Bergeron in the Selke voting in 2022. If you are this poor at analyzing hockey it's no wonder all your posts look like chapGPT got into the whiskey. 

He’s as obnoxious with trades as KingofSurrey was when we acquired “13 goal scorer” JT Miller. 

He sure back tracked that hot take quickly. Only difference is RU keeps mindlessly yapping 😂

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Before, he was distracted by not having a contract. Now, he’s distracted by what to spend all that money on. We have a few players that consistently show up: Miller, Hughes, Hogs, Garland and Joshua. Hopefully, Demko soon. Everyone else is a passenger. Summer surgery is needed.

13th in league scoring is far from a passenger ffs 😂🤦‍♂️

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Yeah, not sure. It just sounds like a stock response in sports so doesn't mean a lot after a while.  I suppose its better than saying that the other team was better!

Yeah it would be great if they broke the reasons down, but they likely don't even know the reason, an d if they do, they don't like to wash their dirty linnet in public....

Do get what you are saying, butits often emotionally just after the game.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I disagree, I think they are fair and measured given their performance in important games

15-6-3 against the top 10 says you're nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking. 

Edited by Pears
  • Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

13th in league scoring is far from a passenger ffs 😂🤦‍♂️

How have his points/goals been lately? Vegas, no points; Arizona, no points; Dallas, no points; LA, no points;  Calgary, 2 assists; Montreal, no points. So, last 6 games, 2 assists and no goals for our superstar forward. Not fucking good enough. There is no denying that he has disappeared for the last 6 games when we need him to elevate his play. This has also happened for stretches earlier this year. Petey is talented but streaky. I wish he could carry the team on his back like Miller or Hughes.