[PGT] Canucks at Yotes

4 minutes ago, tas said:

I agree, at least for the first period or so (i was falling asleep in the third and missed the winning goal).

the concerning thing to me I guess was how noticeable it was that he was moving his feet, throwing his body, and was generally more engaged, like you said -- where has that been for 2 and a half months?

I sincerely hope this group is able to flip whatever switch is necessary to get back to how they played the first half of the year. 

I still think he's playing with some undisclosed injury.  IMHO, I'd just take him out of the lineup for a short time to let his body heal for when the real season starts.

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

I should introduce him to my friend Heywood Jablowme. 

I have a neighbour whose name is Horst Schmidt.  German immigrant, who isn't amused by the English

take on his name.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've said this many times, but hrs facing more defensive attention than he ever has before, especially on the pp.  He has to adjust, but so does the coaching staff

it's less the results I'm concerned about and more the observable play on the ice. he's not carrying the puck, not making plays, not winning battles, not moving his feet, not shooting the puck, etc.

I trust they'll figure it out. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

I will take the two points but damn it where has the goal scoring gone!

Honestly and I guess it is part of coaching to blend the lines when there are players not playing their games but this coaching staff really needs to go back to the lines that worked earlier in the season and when Lindholm returns put him in the top six on a line with Petey and Hoglander.

Lindholm never should have been playing 3rd line minutes and while I know the coach could not resist the temptation of playing a top centre on the third line thus flexing his depth at the position it was questionable ( from a nobody fan perspective and observation ). But I feel Joshua/Garland/Blueger need to be reunited and time would have been better spent getting Lindholm and Petey to gel on a line.

Not to mention, I am sure Lindholm is happy to join the Canucks and play in the Playoffs, what killed the chance Vancouver could re-sign him was playing him down the lineup from his position and role basically anywhere else in the league if he joined other clubs.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Honestly and I guess it is part of coaching to blend the lines when there are players not playing their games but this coaching staff really needs to go back to the lines that worked earlier in the season and when Lindholm returns put him in the top six on a line with Petey and Hoglander.

Lindholm never should have been playing 3rd line minutes and while I know the coach could not resist the temptation of playing a top centre on the third line thus flexing his depth at the position it was questionable ( from a nobody fan perspective and observation ). But I feel Joshua/Garland/Blueger need to be reunited and time would have been better spent getting Lindholm and Petey to gel on a line.

Not to mention, I am sure Lindholm is happy to join the Canucks and play in the Playoffs, what killed the chance Vancouver could re-sign him was playing him down the lineup from his position and role basically anywhere else in the league if he joined other clubs.

That can change in the playoffs... if he's deployed with Petey.

silovs has a good game 

As did garland and  dak

hughes is a model of consistency 

after that is was a lot of hot cold performances and against a much weaker opponent.

(AZ is the  most embarrassing franchise in pro sports good work buttman. time to put you pet dog down. (There were still empty seats lolololololol) )

Pretty simple they need to be better but that’s pretty much been since the all star break. 

Next up LA and the no forecheck snooze brand of crap hockey isn’t exactly best medicine to to get the energy intensity up..

They should try Juulsen on the fourth line.
More grit maybe plop him in front of the net on the PP to 

Edited by Combover
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

Love your handle by the way. Do you happen to know Hugh G. Rection?

Thanks.  Sure do.  He's a cousin of mine on my mother's side, son of My Uncle - Hugh_Janus.

Edited by Hugh_Jasoule
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Combover said:

silovs has a good game 

As did garland and  dak

after that is was a lot of hot cold performances and against a much weaker opponent.

(AZ is the  most embarrassing franchise in pro sports good work buttman. time to put you pet dog down. (There were still empty seats lolololololol) )

Pretty simple they need to be better but that’s pretty much been since the all star break. 

Next up LA and the no forecheck snooze brand of crap hockey isn’t exactly best medicine to to get the energy intensity up..

More grit maybe plop him in front of the net on the PP to 

That's the 7/11  I was hoping for.

Juul's just sent to obstruct traffic in the neutral zone. And grab big hits where he can. 

Said it a few times yesterday, and will say it again ...

The last Coyotes game on January 18 was close as well. We eeked out a 2-1 win with Demko in net. 

I was at that game. The Coyotes weren't pushovers and had a good physical game. They're not as bad as people think. They just recently beat Nashville and the CBJ and have been playing well despite their record. 

The important thing is that we won and we can build positive momentum going into the next few big games. This is the momentum we need. One step at a time. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Every team has that player that other teams and fans hate especially in the playoffs. I would say it’s a big part of having success there.

Who do people think will be that guy for us? Zadorov? Miller? Garland? Joshua? Hoglander?

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Garland to be honest. He seems to just always be in the middle of everything, and he makes some big plays and big cellys. That’d be my vote.

Great point! It could be each one of them.

This type of intimidation factor is what we've needed  for quite a while. We've needed that underlying element of being hated as another dimension in our game.

I've often said around here that we're never going to win as a bunch of nice guys. We're doing something right if these guys are hated. 

16 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Great point! It could be each one of them.

This type of intimidation factor is what we've needed  for quite a while. We've needed that underlying element of being hated as another dimension in our game.

I've often said around here that we're never going to win as a bunch of nice guys. We're doing something right if these guys are hated. 

I never understood how we ended up being viewed by the Eastern media as "the bad guys" vs the Hawks (when you consider the various sex scandals that came out against that club) or the Bruins.  Sure, we weren't boy scouts (excluding the Sedins), but come on.  **** guys like Ron McLean.

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

Watching a replay of last night's Stars Coilers game. Star's middle 6 looks good maintains good pressure.  Ottinger looking really sharp. Wyatt Johndon just got his 30th goal as a 20 year old. Robertson always dangerous.  Edmonton looks a step behind. McJesus not really making an impact. Jamie Benn looking sharp gets their 4th goal. Dallas is money in the slot. As Dallas default seems to be for their forwards is to land in the slot somewhere. Steel get their 5th at the end of the 1st. 4 goals in 6 minutes. Oilers defense and goaltending look weak. 
Dallas on their way to 6 straight wins. 

4 hours ago, NHL Tyranny said:

Demko is the Key!  Key to a deep run--fingers' crossed

This was pleasantly a snooze fest. You don't want to run and gun with this team, especially without Demer. LA will be another snooze fest and let's hope the officials keep it balanced but history will likely repeat itself and we will need a good PK and to get ready for uncalled cheap shots (play-off style but one sided).

I like the fact the lines are blending, despite struggles to score. This team needs the ability to play with any line-mate and still make things happen. We all know how Play-off injuries work. That's why the system and experience with many line-mates is the right approach for a clinched team--I trust in management. Do whatever it takes to ensure the team is healthy and knows how to play with anyone, the rest is gravy. GCG

I agree with everything you said. Honestly, I do not mind these different looks and being somewhat on cruise control here.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Ugh...

I grow tired of this.

IF it was ONLY 1 game then YES my comment WOULD be going overboard.

BUT

It's NOT just 1 game, or 3 games. It's not just unlucky bounces or a tired team. 

If they are unable to turn it on now and get into a rhythm before the playoffs, then what gives you the confidence they will just flick a switch and fix all of the issues I pointed out? Issues that have been plaguing the team for 6 weeks. Don't you think if they could just flick a switch they would have already?

Seriously? I'm asking.... Do you honestly think the powerplay, the top 6, chemistry, a checking line, defensive gaffs, Petterson no show, too many penalties etc will just magically fix themselves the day the playoffs start?

If we can't fix them against Arizona what gives you the impression we will show up against Nashville and it will have just fixed itself? Honest question.

Here the answers to you questions... as I see it...

I think the top 6 will be fine, if they reunite Lotto line, and Joshua, Bluger/Suter and Garland...

After that I think the bottom 6 would benefit from having Hoglander back in the bottom 6, and hopefully have an injury free Lindholm in the bottem 6 as well, should easily give us a decent checking line with Mika, Lindholm and Lafferty.

As for defensive gaffs, the f would I know, if they do that or not... all teams do, not just us.

Too many penalties? Do we really have that much more than other teams? I agree some of them are frustrating high sticks or too many men, but again, do you think we are the only team that has them... I'm sure Tocchet would love see us play hard fast hockey with zero penalties, but that is just un likely... Z's 5m major was ok but in other games it would not have been assessed to be a penalty or max a 2min.

Pettersson is in a funk (or what for him is a funk) he had an assist yesterday, and I don't think he played badly... he just wasn't a game breaker... set up a few good chances.

The PP suck.... I have no idea how to fix it, but I'm sure they are trying their hardest to find a solution... Hopefully they will or I could be a short play offs...

What I do know is, that despite all the bitching, the players on the ice all want the same as we do... Whether they can achieve it, who knows... I remember 2011 team, which was best in all the categories failed, and Brunis last year also fell flat on their faces... so nobody knows what the future brings...

I think its been stated numerous times, this team is still learning, what being top dog means... suddenly nobody takes them lightly anymore, and that is a hurdle that needs to be jumped... Will it be this year? I sure hope so, but am fully aware there are 15 other teams hoping for the same.

But one thing is for sure from now until play offs, doesn't matter much beside perhaps between the ears... Let wait and see, when the puck drops for the playoffs...this my honest answer to you question?

PS. Forgot that we've been running with our back up keepers for some time now, and that obviously haven't helped defensively... Demko back changes the dynamics some what.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

On 3/25/2024 at 8:16 PM, TetrisBloctT said:

Maybe Juulsen is hurt, he does block a lot of shots and dishes out hits.

1 hour ago, Combover said:

silovs has a good game 

As did garland and  dak

More grit maybe plop him in front of the net on the PP to gfg

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Here the answers to you questions... as I see it...

I think the top 6 will be fine, if they reunite Lotto line, and Joshua, Bluger/Suter and Garland...

After that I think the bottom 6 would benefit from having Hoglander back in the bottom 6, and hopefully have an injury free Lindholm in the bottem 6 as well, should easily give us a decent checking line with Mika, Lindholm and Lafferty.

As for defensive gaffs, the f would I know, if they do that or not... all teams do, not just us.

Too many penalties? Do we really have that much more than other teams? I agree some of them are frustrating high sticks or too many men, but again, do you think we are the only team that has them... I'm sure Tocchet would love see us play hard fast hockey with zero penalties, but that is just un likely... Z's 5m major was ok but in other games it would not have been assessed to be a penalty or max a 2min.

Pettersson is in a funk (or what for him is a funk) he had an assist yesterday, and I don't think he played badly... he just wasn't a game breaker... set up a few good chances.

The PP suck.... I have no idea how to fix it, but I'm sure they are trying their hardest to find a solution... Hopefully they will or I could be a short play offs...

What I do know is, that despite all the bitching, the players on the ice all want the same as we do... Whether they can achieve it, who knows... I remember 2011 team, which was best in all the categories failed, and Brunis last year also fell flat on their faces... so nobody knows what the future brings...

I think its been stated numerous times, this team is still learning, what being top dog means... suddenly nobody takes them lightly anymore, and that is a hurdle that needs to be jumped... Will it be this year? I sure hope so, but am fully aware there are 15 other teams hoping for the same.

But one thing is for sure from now until play offs, doesn't matter much beside perhaps between the ears... Let wait and see, when the puck drops for the playoffs...this my honest answer to you question?

PS. Forgot that we've been running with our back up keepers for some time now, and that obviously haven't helped defensively... Demko back changes the dynamics some what.

Excellent post! We're finding ways to win despite the challenges. There is good happening in these games. Like JR just said in his interview, teams get to the playoffs in different ways. When Demko went down, a lot of us said that we just need play .500 and we're good. In net, both DeSmith and Silovs have gotten invaluable experience at the right time. We're also bouncing back after a loss and not letting it create negative momentum.

The thing with Petey, the way I see it, and based on what we've seen before, he's one day closer to coming out of his funk. That won't remain the same. He will come out of it and it needs to be in the playoffs. This is how greatness emerges. He needs to figure it out ... and quickly.

Our D has been good, we had great shots last night, and got the win.

Tocchet and co. need to get the PP working and time is now to learn from all the penalty issues. We have the next few games to get ready. One game at a time.

We're also poised to be healthy for the playoffs. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1