[PGT] Canucks at Yotes

Yes they’ve done well this year. Beyond most people’s expectations. They had the formula early on and caught some teams off guard. That’s being countered league wide, so we need to claw through to the other side. Full 60 minutes, players in their flow state in consecutive games. 

Good teams have players that are given a role and take their role and do their job. That’s one thing that’s causing the current fluctuation in our play. Players are elevated to roles that’s beyond their ability. Tochet needs to define roles and tell players to do them every shift for the remainder of the year

15 hours ago, The Duke said:

I liked the question by Murph but even better answer from Silovs.  Always important to win. Great mindset for (anyone) but especially a goalie.

Good point! The wins for both DeSmith and Silovs have been invaluable and important to both them as players and the team during this time that Demko has been out.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We're looking good on that end. Check.

Good timing for when Demko gets back.

Yeah, we miss Demmer. At least he is getting some rest. Hope he is back for a game or two to get back in game shape

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Pears said:

But but but we didn't win by 5+ goals even though it was the second half of a b2b...

Seriously give it a rest man. 

Go troll another site if all you can do is try and stir the pot.

As a total aside, I’m excited for Raty.  Up there with points alongside the leaders in Abby but he’s 2+ years younger than any of them.   

iirc not playing C at the moment but still a really nice development.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, The Duke said:

As a total aside, I’m excited for Raty.  Up there with points alongside the leaders in Abby but he’s 2+ years younger than any of them.   

iirc not playing C at the moment but still a really nice development.

Another example of how good our development has been. I think a knock on him was his level of commitment but this season should do wonders for his confidence and his incentive to be better. He's proving it to himself. 

With Willander, DPetey, and Lekk on the way, our depth in Abby is all heading in the right direction for what we need in the years to come. Really impressive to see so quickly. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Höglander - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Pettersson - Garland

Suter - Lindholm - Mikheyev

Podkolzin - Blueger - Lafferty

That's what I'd run with at full strength. 

Bravo! Same here. No idea why so much tinkering is being done.

Great line-up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Excellent post! We're finding ways to win despite the challenges. There is good happening in these games. Like JR just said in his interview, teams get to the playoffs in different ways. When Demko went down, a lot of us said that we just need play .500 and we're good. In net, both DeSmith and Silovs have gotten invaluable experience at the right time. We're also bouncing back after a loss and not letting it create negative momentum.

The thing with Petey, the way I see it, and based on what we've seen before, he's one day closer to coming out of his funk. That won't remain the same. He will come out of it and it needs to be in the playoffs. This is how greatness emerges. He needs to figure it out ... and quickly.

Our D has been good, we had great shots last night, and got the win.

Tocchet and co. need to get the PP working and time is now to learn from all the penalty issues. We have the next few games to get ready. One game at a time.

We're also poised to be healthy for the playoffs. 

Agree on all points... 

Hopefully they get it sorted prior to play offs, as there are lots of questions to asked, but the good part is, we haven't started the play offs yet, so there is time. 

I didn't think Petey was bad against Yotes, but knowing how good he can be, he is probably playing at 80-90% atm... He will figure it out, I'm sure of it.

The PP is a bit of a mystery, and I am a bit more concerned about that, as it has been poor for a long time.

Regardless, we will be good come play offs, the team will be rested, and ready to go... If Demko and Lindholm are back by then, I fancy our chances...

After round one its anybody guess, what will happen... But I'm certainly not the glass half empty type... life is simply too short... 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Maybe just the quiet nature of his body language etc but he really doesn't very often show emotion or get riled up. Not something as an armchair fan that I have a good read on.

But he seems to get a ton of hate here and its annoying if not disappointing to regularly see the crap people post about him.

Has been a top GWG producer in the league all year so thats not something to take for granted.

What I would love is to stop screwing with the lines. Its exhausting and frustrating to watch.

Mikheyev - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Lindholm- Pettersson 

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

PDG - Suter - Lafferty

Aman

Mikheyev looked like a solid fit and style in the Miller line.

Get that swedish line time to gel and the 3rd line is solid.

Having Suter and Lafferty on the 4th line shows great depth.

This is pretty much the line combos I would suggest too.  Mikheyev actually scored and assisted when playing with Miller and Boeser.  I don't see any particular chemistry between Pettersson and Boeser.  Miller drives his own line and works well with Boeser, he doesn't need Garland for this line to work.  Any centre, Blueger, Suter or even Lindholm will work just fine with Joshua and Garland as they are the pair that spark their line.  I would even consider putting Hoglander back down to the 4th line - not as a demotion but because he will elevate that line.  He was able to score almost as readily from there as he does with Pettersson now, and that would make all 4 lines more dangerous offensively.  However, in that case, who else plays with Pettersson?  That I don't have an answer for...  I'd rotate Aman and PDG in and out as each comes back in revitalized after they've sat for one or two.  

Actually forgot about Podkolzin - I'd try him with Pettersson!

Edited by Sooey Steamer
updated comment

6 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Lol, why did you edit? Did you make your own spelling error and then realize how absolutely embarrassing that would be for you? Haha fail.

Yes. I left the ‘u’ off of ‘you’. Still not a fail, perhaps a bit of a dangle…..

2 hours ago, Robinfood said:

Yes they’ve done well this year. Beyond most people’s expectations. They had the formula early on and caught some teams off guard. That’s being countered league wide, so we need to claw through to the other side. Full 60 minutes, players in their flow state in consecutive games. 

Good teams have players that are given a role and take their role and do their job. That’s one thing that’s causing the current fluctuation in our play. Players are elevated to roles that’s beyond their ability. Tochet needs to define roles and tell players to do them every shift for the remainder of the year

The point about other teams adjusting, especially with the top line players is important. This is where the coaching comes in to readjust and get ahead of the defense being used against them. I wonder sometimes if they have worked out some new plays but just don't want to show their hand just yet which would allow teams to adjust prior to the playoffs.

17 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

I like Petey and think he is a fantastic player.

I also think there is something wrong.

When he got blown up at the blue line Miller stepped up and fought for him

Cut to the bench and Petey is nonchallantly chatting on the bench.  He was not focused on what Miller just did for him at all.

That is a problem. 

Yeah, I do think he has a problem, but don't think it's physical, and haven't thought so all year. He's 25 years old, and I know a lot of young people don't reach a maturity of work ethic, commitment, determination, will, and physical abilities until later. Those that do, ie Hughes, are the anomaly. JT at 30 is a good example. There is no one on the team that shows up like he does, but that's not who he was in previous years. Some of JT is very good coaching, helping him become the best he can be. The difference between JT and Petey is one came up knowing he had to work his ass off to be the best, and the other came in slight of stature, high on talent, and too immature to push himself to be the best. I wish for Petey, the team, and for us, that he will mature to reach his potential. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Coilers will lose in round one to Vegas. McBaby will whine. It will be fun to watch. 

Bunch of bustaroos you might say ....

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Zero chance the Smelly Soilers play the Preds. The Coilers and their Baby Whiner captain Loser will pkay the three seed from our division - Vegas. A series that the Baby Whiner will do a lot of crying as he loses and heads to his soother, the goof course. 

Hey - don't knock the goof course ... a lot of us spend contemplative hours there ruminating on the meaning of life 

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

canucks-defencemen-all-time-scoring.png

Remember the Sedins games in their prime? Where they just did their sedinery night after night...  We got so spoiled... No biggie right?  Well looking back at some of the highlights... Wow, we were so lucky to have those guys.  We'll never see two twin brothers dominate the NHL like that again.

Well folks... Look at this kid of what 24 years old?!!!  He's so amazing to watch.... More points in less than half the games played compared to Ohlund! 

That game last night when Hughes... Our capitain, water bugged, having his way with the forwards trying to defend him... Walking the line like no other... Got the puck through to the net,  to have Garly wire it home. 

My jaw dropped.... (Watch the highlights one more time).  Yet he does that all the time... 

He is, our most important player and a bonified superstar defenceman...

The first our team has ever had.

He's like what Bure was when he came here... Something we'd never seen before in a Nucks jersey.  Enjoy y'all because we'll never have another Quinton Hughes.  Bring in the playoffs!!!

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Other than the Vegas 6-3 loss the other losses were 3-1/3-2 losses. I don’t put the blame on Desmith on those losses. Team infront of him didn’t play as well. Bottom 6 offence has all about dried up. Do you want Desmith to skate down the ice and score?

So which of those games did Demko start?

None of them?

I’m not blaming DeSmith simply asking a question. 

• Cheers 1