What are the odds hughes can finish with 100 points in six games left?

Sargon

Just now, Sargon said:

I know the guys need to finish what he’s setting up and finish is what we are lacking lately but anybody think he can do it?

He’s at 86 points right now. 14 points in 6 games? Yeah not happening. That’s the same as asking if Petey will hit 100 points and he’s at 85 points. Both not happening but I think Hughes will finish higher than Petey (shame on him).

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

He’s at 86 points right now. 14 points in 6 games? Yeah not happening. That’s the same as asking if Petey will hit 100 points and he’s at 85 points. Both not happening but I think Hughes will finish higher than Petey (shame on him).

Man EP looks exactly like he did when he was fighting the wrist injury a couple of years ago. 
‘That and his wingers dropping off the face of the Earth has really tanked his production. 

Almost 0% chance, but I suppose it's possible. He'd have to be otherwordly to finish the season at that level. I'll be thrilled with 90 points.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Man EP looks exactly like he did when he was fighting the wrist injury a couple of years ago. 
‘That and his wingers dropping off the face of the Earth has really tanked his production. 

I think the problem lies in that we don’t actually have enough top 6 wingers. Boeser and now Hoglander are the only 2 I would consider top 6 talent. Joshua/Garland have been great this year but let’s be real. They are great 3rd line talents not top 6 guys. 
Our single biggest mistake was getting Lindholm when we should have been finding a true top 6 winger for Petey. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Unlikely, but he's already set the season record for canucks. 

I haven't gone and looked at the exact numbers, but it would also be the franchise record for about 2/3 of the rest of the league.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I think the problem lies in that we don’t actually have enough top 6 wingers. Boeser and now Hoglander are the only 2 I would consider top 6 talent. Joshua/Garland have been great this year but let’s be real. They are great 3rd line talents not top 6 guys. 
Our single biggest mistake was getting Lindholm when we should have been finding a true top 6 winger for Petey. 

I said this earlier in thread. A top right hand C was a reasonable gamble and a hole that needed filling. That he developed a wrist injury doesn’t mean it wasn’t a decent gamble. 
Where the management made a mistake was not adding a top 6 winger as well.  We were short a top 6 winger when we traded Kuz. It makes no sense to go all in with Lindholm and then not fill the easier clear hole to fill on the wing. Some decent wingers went for almost nothing. 
With the current lineup it is hard to find 3 lines that can score and without 3 lines that can score you usually end up with no lines that can score. Any good team can shutdown a 2 line team which is what we currently are. If Lindholm ‘s wrist heals up and can provide some secondary scoring we will look better but still short at least a middle six wingers. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If Hughes gets to 90 points, only these guys would have eclipsed the mark in a single season in NHL history:

Bobby Orr - BOS

Paul Coffey - EDM/PIT

Al MacInnis - CAL

Brian Leetch - NYR

Erik Karlsson - SJS

Denis Potvin - NYI

Phil Housley - WIN

Roman Josi - NAS

Ray Bourque - BOS

Gary Suter - CAL

So that's BOS, EDM, PIT, CAL, NYR, SJS, NYI, WIN, NAS.... 9 teams out of 32 where Hughes would not be the season record holder for the franchise.

Man, Josi was seriously robbed of a Norris...

Yup incredible stuff. If you look at points/game for all dmen who played 100 games, then quinn is currently 7th on the list.

Only harry cameron (too early), reinhart (who spent time at forward) and phil housley never won the norris. 

IMG_5483.thumb.jpeg.4187f0d8a17e8d887842648faed92829.jpeg

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If Hughes gets to 90 points, only these guys would have eclipsed the mark in a single season in NHL history:

Bobby Orr - BOS

Paul Coffey - EDM/PIT

Al MacInnis - CAL

Brian Leetch - NYR

Erik Karlsson - SJS

Denis Potvin - NYI

Phil Housley - WIN

Roman Josi - NAS

Ray Bourque - BOS

Gary Suter - CAL

So that's BOS, EDM, PIT, CAL, NYR, SJS, NYI, WIN, NAS.... 9 teams out of 32 where Hughes would not be the season record holder for the franchise.

it's important for fans to keep this in perspective. even though the pace has slowed over the course of the year, 22 teams in the league have never had a player that's done what quinn has done this year. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Yup incredible stuff. If you look at points/game for all dmen who played 100 games, then quinn is currently 7th on the list.

I could see him easily moving into 5th over time. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

Bobby Orr - BOS

Paul Coffey - EDM/PIT

Al MacInnis - CAL

Brian Leetch - NYR

Erik Karlsson - SJS

Denis Potvin - NYI

Phil Housley - WIN

Roman Josi - NAS

Ray Bourque - BOS

Gary Suter - CAL

There are also a lot of guys who fell short.   It's not an embarrassing thing.   Pretty sure Lidstrom only got around 80 once. 

3 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Only harry cameron (too early), reinhart (who spent time at forward) and phil housley never won the norris. 

Reinhart played how many games exactly?  As a forward?  As many as Federov did as a D? Pretty sure we will see 3 of those guys slip over the entirety of their careers.   I doubt they end up ahead of Leetch and Housley if they manage 1000 games, but maybe they will.  Not Fox that's for sure.   No offense for what they have done and are accomplishing.   For while EK was also doing something special - and who the heck is Harry Cameron?   As for Housley, steep competition.   Same as QHs has right now. 

Edited by IBatch

3 hours ago, tas said:

I could see him easily moving into 5th over time. 

That is a little delusional.   I could see him maybe ending up with 900-1000 points one day, with some good luck injury wise, over a 1200-1300 game career.   He's having a great season.   A Norris worthy one.    Once you play 100 plus playoff games things add up, 150-200 ... another level.   Hope he gets to do that.    As for best regular seasons, QHs is doing that.   Nothing like Borque or Coffey did yet though.  Or Potvin or Orr.   And a half dozen others.     He's making a name for himself for sure and much gratitude.   But 5 ahead of Housley and Leetch, that would be something.    If QHs and Makar manage 1200 regular season and playoff games combined each,  don't think they will bump many of the guys on this list.  

IMG_3875.png

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That is a little delusional.   I could see him maybe ending up with 900-1000 points one day, with some good luck injury wise.     He's having a great season.   A Norris worthy one.    Once you play 100 plus playoff games things add up, 150-200 ... another level.   Hope he gets to do that.    As for best regular seasons, QHs is doing that.   Nothing like Borque or Coffey did yet though.  Or Potvin or Orr.   And a half dozen others.     He's making a name for himself for sure and much gratitude.   But 5 ahead of Housley and Leetch, that would be something.    If QHs and Makar manage 1200 regular season and playoff games combined each,  don't think they will bump many of the guys on this list.  

IMG_3875.png

what about quinn's game gives you the impression he's going to regress?

he's finally reached his level this year, embraced it. I don't see him moving backwards in any meaningful way barring injuries or when age finally takes its toll. 

1 hour ago, tas said:

what about quinn's game gives you the impression he's going to regress?

he's finally reached his level this year, embraced it. I don't see him moving backwards in any meaningful way barring injuries or when age finally takes its toll. 

Nothing.   Aside from perspective, and before going there, like to see a few more seasons.    If he's going to have a long career as in 16-22 years, it's unlikely he will continue to manage his current PPG pace.   Borques career, 18-40, a lot of playoff series in there too.  Potvins was 20-35, but a record 19 consecutive playoff series in there plus others.   It will matter.   Playoffs that is.    It's like taking Zubov and saying "he's over a point a game" in 1994, or EK after he matched only Potvin, Orr and Coffey for top ten in scoring any position 3 times in his mid 20'a (did a a fourth time last year).   If we can make the show four years in a row, and he's still doing it, then maybe i will get a little excited about this.    Nothing wrong with 900-1000 points!    To get there expect around 1200-1300 games though.  

Let's say he plays 20 years, so until he's 39.   Do you think he will have more points than Lidstrom's 1140 something?   Let's see how he's doing around 30 before we get too far ahead of ourselves.   These "mini " records that aren't any sort of actuall records, that the TV keeps bringing up are silly.   

There is a reason Orr and Coffey own the season to season record books, like Gretzky and Mario.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1