What are the odds hughes can finish with 100 points in six games left?

Sargon

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Almost 0% chance, but I suppose it's possible. He'd have to be otherwordly to finish the season at that level. I'll be thrilled with 90 points.

Sound of reason.   

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Sativika said:

Odds are he won't. 90 plus points is still phenomenal. 

Absolutely!   And as a Canuck, long time fan, never thought i'd see the day.   This is more exciting than Aucion tieing Orr's power play goal record.   Says a lot.   That was at the time, at least an actual record. 

Edit:  Guess im getting tired of the idiot brand of media, that is constantly looking for a record that isn't an actual record and re-framing like it is some sort of major accomplishment.   With a certain sample size.    QHs is a great player he's proving that.   Let's leave him alone and wait for awhile before saddling him something he isn't yet or hasn't done yet.    Last year EK scored 101 on a bad SJ team and Miss Korea was quick to show how bad he was defensively (cough Housley was the same),  and others weren't that impressed either.    Like to see some playoffs.   Gainey inspired a trophy and was only scoring 40 or so points on a team that was scoring close to 400 goals a season.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Yup incredible stuff. If you look at points/game for all dmen who played 100 games, then quinn is currently 7th on the list.

Only harry cameron (too early), reinhart (who spent time at forward) and phil housley never won the norris. 

IMG_5483.thumb.jpeg.4187f0d8a17e8d887842648faed92829.jpeg

Obviously guys in their primes like Fox, Makar, and Hughes get advantages with career rates like this, to be fair. I will also add that I believe Cameron also spent time playing as a forward way back in the day, so his numbers are inflated there too.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Nothing.   Aside from perspective, and before going there, like to see a few more seasons.    If he's going to have a long career as in 16-22 years, it's unlikely he will continue to manage his current PPG pace.   Borques career, 18-40, a lot of playoff series in there too.  Potvins was 20-35, but a record 19 consecutive playoff series in there plus others.   It will matter.   Playoffs that is.    It's like taking Zubov and saying "he's over a point a game" in 1994, or EK after he matched only Potvin, Orr and Coffey for top ten in scoring any position 3 times in his mid 20'a (did a a fourth time last year).   If we can make the show four years in a row, and he's still doing it, then maybe i will get a little excited about this.    Nothing wrong with 900-1000 points!    To get there expect around 1200-1300 games though.  

Let's say he plays 20 years, so until he's 39.   Do you think he will have more points than Lidstrom's 1140 something?   Let's see how he's doing around 30 before we get too far ahead of ourselves.   These "mini " records that aren't any sort of actuall records, that the TV keeps bringing up are silly.   

There is a reason Orr and Coffey own the season to season record books, like Gretzky and Mario.   

Yeah, people sometimes forget to account for regression in these analyses of per-game stats. Sure, Hughes has crazy good numbers at this point like five years into his career, but if we were stopping the numbers at five years in, I'm almost certain there are many names of guys there who were at or above a point per game that ended up falling much lower as they got to their 30s. Hughes is at .91 now and that number will probably climb to close to a point per game over the next several years, but it will probably drop way back down to 0.8 or 0.85 or so when he's 35 and scoring 55 points instead of 95.

There's also league changes to consider too--scoring is up in the NHL now, but for all we know strategies and rules could change that reduce scoring too and his scoring numbers could be negatively impacted that way. Lidstrom, for example, started in a fairly high scoring era of the early 90s, but the vast majority of his career was in low scoring eras except for a short blip of more offense after the 2004-05 lockout. Lidstrom in today's game would probably be capable of 70+ points more often than he actually managed it during his career.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tas said:

I haven't gone and looked at the exact numbers, but it would also be the franchise record for about 2/3 of the rest of the league.

Sans some dudes named Orr and Coffey the only D-men that scored 100 pts at least once in their careers are MacInnis, Leetch, Potvin and Karlsson. Each of them did it exactly once with MacInnis topping this group of 4 with 103 pts ... just to put in perspective on what a D we have in Huggy.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Obviously guys in their primes like Fox, Makar, and Hughes get advantages with career rates like this, to be fair. I will also add that I believe Cameron also spent time playing as a forward way back in the day, so his number are inflated there too.

They aren't in that range where the blue chip D's have their best seasons yet.    That's 28-34 , Carlson, Karlson, Josi, Burns, Hedman, recent examples.    But yes.   It's fair to say QHs points per game will drop.   Because history has shown that what he's doing isn't sustainable, especially once playoffs ensue (Housley didn't have to deal with that nearly as much as say Al Mac or Brian Leetch).    Personally would rather re-visit this once QHs is in that range and has some stripes on his shirt (playoffs). 

Edited by IBatch

Unlikely, but Quinn did score 14 pts in a 6 game span earlier this season

October 31st to November 11th.

12 of those points came over a 4 game span when Canucks played Sharks and Oilers for two of those games, both of which were playing like complete dumpster fires at the time.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 2

6 hours ago, Sativika said:

Odds are he won't. 90 plus points is still phenomenal. 

It is. When you compare what Hughes has done to likely reach 90 vs the blatantly self serving cheating that Karlsson did to hit 100 it's quite something. 

• ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It is. When you compare what Hughes has done to likely reach 90 vs the blatantly self serving cheating that Karlsson did to hit 100 it's quite something. 

EK was also trying to score to get his team back in the game most nights, it is what it is.   That was a bad team.   Much like the dying last gasps of the Sedin era, minus the gaudy points.    For awhile, EK was every bit as generational as Crosby and Ovi,  the Final or best series PIT first back to back, absolutely was EK and his Sens versus Crosby and Malkin show.    He was controlling the puck in all three zones.    Matt Cooke is a real bastard.   Marc Savard was when he should have been banned from the league. 

Edit:  And yes, I do agree that QHs is having a better season then EK had last year.   Also have seen seasons from EK at a similar age with a lot less to work with (he was their only star player), that one could argue were better (i'm not - yet - wait and see what happens in the post season); that we're better.   It's too bad the SENs blew that team up really.   What a tire fire. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

Sans some dudes named Orr and Coffey the only D-men that scored 100 pts at least once in their careers are MacInnis, Leetch, Potvin and Karlsson. Each of them did it exactly once with MacInnis topping this group of 4 with 103 pts ... just to put in perspective on what a D we have in Huggy.

Those three above in bold print; they were all around defencemen. Sure they got 100 points, but they also could play defense, yes? 

28 minutes ago, Sativika said:

Those three above in bold print; they were all around defencemen. Sure they got 100 points, but they also could play defense, yes? 

Yes, of course they were good defensively as well as providing great offense - all over 1000 points by the time their careers ended. By your point I assume you are implying that Huggy isn't very good defensively. If my assumption is correct then I would have to strongly disagree. Hughes has defense in spades to go with his great hands, hockey sense, etc. Hughes defense is on display pretty much every game, at least most of the games I watch him play in and I have watched pretty much every game this year. 

Huggy is just coming into his game and will only get better if his trend / trajectory holds. He isn't big like say MacInnis and uses positioning, angling players off the puck rather than taking the body every time when playing the defensive side of the puck. You can't be a one trick pony playing top line minutes like Hughes does - i.e. all offense. Even Karlsson was good defensively in his prime with his 100 points coming last season - a bit of an anomoly.

GO CANUCKS GO!

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Huggy Bear 1

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nothing.   Aside from perspective, and before going there, like to see a few more seasons.    If he's going to have a long career as in 16-22 years, it's unlikely he will continue to manage his current PPG pace.   Borques career, 18-40, a lot of playoff series in there too.  Potvins was 20-35, but a record 19 consecutive playoff series in there plus others.   It will matter.   Playoffs that is.    It's like taking Zubov and saying "he's over a point a game" in 1994, or EK after he matched only Potvin, Orr and Coffey for top ten in scoring any position 3 times in his mid 20'a (did a a fourth time last year).   If we can make the show four years in a row, and he's still doing it, then maybe i will get a little excited about this.    Nothing wrong with 900-1000 points!    To get there expect around 1200-1300 games though.  

Let's say he plays 20 years, so until he's 39.   Do you think he will have more points than Lidstrom's 1140 something?   Let's see how he's doing around 30 before we get too far ahead of ourselves.   These "mini " records that aren't any sort of actuall records, that the TV keeps bringing up are silly.   

There is a reason Orr and Coffey own the season to season record books, like Gretzky and Mario.   

He would need to average 55 points/season over the next 15 years to slightly eclipse Lidstrom. So it’s possible. But who knows how long he’ll play.

It’s not just about points though, Hughes has certainly shown superstar qualities and probably will continue to do so for many years. Another poster put him in the same category as Bure in Canucks lore, I agree with that.

• Upvote 1
  • Wiener 1

9 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Have we ever had 3 guys with 90? 

90-91 Coffey 93, Borque 94, Leetch 88.... Al Mac 103.  

89-90 Coffey 103, Al Mac 90, Borque 84 (76 games)

83-84 Coffey 126,  Borque 96, Potvin 85

A bunch more all with Coffey  in them that are close too.  

92-93 Housley 97,  Coffey 87, Murphy 85

85-86 Coffey 138 (48 goals),  Howe 82.   Just wanted to add that.   He led D in scoring by a whopping 56 points.    And doubled Howe's goals.   Which was elite back then too (24).   Coffey was in on 1/3 every goal scored that season.    Gretzky was 1/2.   What a pair.  

As for defenseman all-time.   This year maybe QHs, Makar and Josi  can become the second to do that, which is really quite remarkable.     See that you're referring to this team.   Can't re-call that ever happening before. 

Edited by IBatch

9 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Have we ever had 3 guys with 90? 

I think the closest we [we are all Canucks] came is in the 2010 - 2011 year with Daniel (104), Henrik (94) and Kesler (73). I didn't look at every year, just a few of the obvious season.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

I think the closest we [we are all Canucks] came is in the 2010 - 2011 year with Daniel (104), Henrik (94) and Kesler (73). I didn't look at every year, just a few of the obvious season.

Naslund, Bertuzzi but then a big drop off.    Bure and Mogilny never clicked the same year.    And we didn't have a third guy back that could do it either.    Closest would have been Bure, Ronning, Linden, Courtnall, Nedved in 92-93 I'd think.   Aside from 2011.    92-93, five guys 71-110 points.    Also an 84 game season... 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

He would need to average 55 points/season over the next 15 years to slightly eclipse Lidstrom. So it’s possible. But who knows how long he’ll play.

It’s not just about points though, Hughes has certainly shown superstar qualities and probably will continue to do so for many years. Another poster put him in the same category as Bure in Canucks lore, I agree with that.

Love to see QHs have a long successful career as a Canuck.     Bure isn't a bad comp level either.   He's a unicorn, a special unique player.    Actually thought it would be EP doing that, it doesn't look that way yet anyways.     And QHs surprised me.   He's already in his own tier.    What's he going to do now as a mature player in the post season?    Something special. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Naslund, Bertuzzi but then a big drop off.    Bure and Mogilny never clicked the same year.    And we didn't have a third guy back that could do it either.    Closest would have been Bure, Ronning, Linden, Courtnall, Nedved in 92-93 I'd think.   Aside from 2011.    92-93, five guys 71-110 points.    Also an 84 game season... 

There were 84 game seasons? I don't remember that at all. If anyone broke records during those seasons they should have asterisks beside them.

• ThereItIs 1