[Signing] Sharks sign highly coveted NCAA free agent Colin Graf

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/san-jose-sharks-sign-quinnipiac-forward-collin-graf-to-entry-level-contract-1.2099423

The San Jose Sharks announced the signing of Quinnipiac forward Colin Graf to an entry-level contract beginning with the 2023-2024 season.

The 21-year-old spent the last two seasons with the Bobcats and had more than a dozen NHL teams eyeing him during this year’s college free agent cycle.

Makes sense for him. He'll get NHL opportunities right off the hop, if not top six opportunities, and get the be a relatively anonymous professional hockey player while playing in sunny California. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Makes sense for him. He'll get NHL opportunities right off the hop, if not top six opportunities, and get the be a relatively anonymous professional hockey player while playing in sunny California. 

Yep playing time seems to be the big factor with these guys. I still expect us to be in the mix for some other college free agents. 

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep playing time seems to be the big factor with these guys. I still expect us to be in the mix for some other college free agents. 

And so it should, if I was a hockey player who had several teams after him I'd also go for an opportunity that would allow me to play NHL hockey and earn 6-7 figures sooner than later too

And probs, we may have room up front and on D for players sooner than later, and our prospect pool ain't so deep that guys couldn't step in and potentially be higher rung prospects immediately 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And so it should, if I was a hockey player who had several teams after him I'd also go for an opportunity that would allow me to play NHL hockey and earn 6-7 figures sooner than later too

And probs, we may have room up front and on D for players sooner than later, and our prospect pool ain't so deep that guys couldn't step in and potentially be higher rung prospects immediately 

I can see us really trying for something at C this time, particularly if we re up Hronek. Willander and D Petey look like pretty safe bets as far as d prospects go.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I can see us really trying for something at C this time, particularly if we re up Hronek. Willander and D Petey look like pretty safe bets as far as d prospects go.

Center would be the easiest position to crack, the only blue chip center prospect we have is maybe Raty 

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Solid thinking in theory, but the Sharks are such a dumpster fire they are going to ruin this kid. I bet he flames out of pro hockey in a couple of years…

29 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

You'll get more chances there, but is getting blown up every night the best path to take? I'd argue no. Team literally has nothing of value and no quality vets to learn from. 

The bright side is they have $37 million in cap space next season.

So if they are smart with their money, they will draft well, and pick the right UFA's and Vets to improve the club and shelter their young players.

31 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So if they are smart with their money, they will draft well, and pick the right UFA's and Vets to improve the club and shelter their young players.

Yeah, Corey Perry will be available this summer. Just look at Edmonton’s record since he joined them. 

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

True, just depends on if they wanna throw away one more year for a high pick or if they think this draft's haul on top of what they have already will be enough to start adding actual NHLers.

13 hours ago, YourTimeisNow said:

Solid thinking in theory, but the Sharks are such a dumpster fire they are going to ruin this kid. I bet he flames out of pro hockey in a couple of years…

Dunno, they'll have a lot of top talent coming onto their roster over the next few years, them being a bottom feeder almost guarantees that

It'll be a good place for young guys to try and get paid imo

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Dunno, they'll have a lot of top talent coming onto their roster over the next few years, them being a bottom feeder almost guarantees that

It'll be a good place for young guys to try and get paid imo

Definitely a double Edge sword more playing time but risk of rushing and stunting potential growth. 

29 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Definitely a double Edge sword more playing time but risk of rushing and stunting potential growth. 

That's a risk, certainly, but San Jose should have the cap flex to bring in vets to help stabilize things 

Winning a lottery or two would go a long way for San Jose, they're likely in for a lengthy rebuild 

Which is impressive really, they've been consistently competitive from the 2000's on up until the past few years

• Cheers 1