[Article] Canucks: Noah Juulsen nominated for Masterton Trophy

RWJC

I've been a big Juulsen supporter ever since he was drafted by the Habs. I kept joking to my cousin (who is a huge Habs fan) that they should trade Juulsen to us. Who knew it would come true but in a roundabout kind of way. So happy to see him find his game and be recognized for his hard work and dedication to his craft. If he signs long term with us I can definitely see a Juulsen sweater in my future.

• Cheers 1

All he does is make it hard for players to come into our side of the ice.     Watching him has made me a believer.   What a great candidate.    Juulsen is a legit NHL D-man.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bounce000 said:

Boeser would have been my pick for nomination but Juulsen has come such a long way since game 1 of the season.

Game one of his NHL career.   Brock would have been fine too, but like this better.   

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I was the same happy to admit I was wrong about him.

Me too. The guy has solidified himself as an excellent 3rd pair option on the go fwd. This is great news, as it is one less thing to find, and at a great cap hit.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Game one of his NHL career.   Brock would have been fine too, but like this better.   

Brock just starting trying again, and found his natural talent. Juulsen ground his way to the NHL, then fought his ass off to develop into the reliable guy...Flipside; BB was given a cushy contract when he was undeserving.

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Back in early Dec, I was like "why are we playing this guy, he's not even a top defenseman on our farm team"

Then Noah worked his ass off and shut me up. I love it when our guys can prove me wrong when I doubt them.

A well-deserved nomination, Noah.

19 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I was the same happy to admit I was wrong about him.

Count me in on this. I thought he was just another project player picked up because of where he was picked in the draft. Bieksa even said on HNIC one time: "let's be honest, this is a defensive defenseman here." But Bieksa, a defensive defenseman himself, went to talk about how great Juulsen was in his own end. That was pretty good praise. As Juulsen gained more experience, he went on to play better and better.

I was wrong. He does seem to have high character in combination with his ability to help keep the puck out of the net. He's a guy you could cheer for.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I have always liked Juulsen and rooted for him, but I did not think he was good enough to be an NHL regular. He was good in Abby last year, but not as good as Wolanin and I expected Wolanin to make the 23 man roster this year with Juulsen maybe being 7th man or being sent to Abby. But he made the Vancouver team.

But he looked bad in his first couple of games and I was thinking that despite the Canucks' need for a RD there was no way he could stay in the line-up. But he has improved a lot and is now playing well and is a legitimate third pairing NHL D on a good team.

It shows what good coaching a good attitude can do, even for guys in their late 20s. I previously underestimated the role of coaching. Foote and Gonchar have been great as pretty much everyone has improved under their coaching. Myers is a lot better. And, while Hughes was already excellent, he has taken a further step this year. Similar story with Hronek. He was already good, but he has also improved. With a bit more time, I bet they could also do a lot with Z.

Yes, you're absolutely right. Even with Myers - jokingly named chaos giraffe - has been tempered significantly from that title. Coaching makes a huge difference and the fact that we didn't have this calibre of coaching for so many years really explains why we couldn't develop players.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bounce000 said:

Boeser would have been my pick for nomination but Juulsen has come such a long way since game 1 of the season.

I think Boeser was already nominated last year, so maybe they felt it was a bit weird to do it twice in a row. Had he not been nominated last year, I bet he would've this year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With players like Petey, Miller, Hughes, Demko, Boeser taking the spotlight all the time some players don’t get recognised as much.

For under 1M a year Juulsen has been the best surprise of the year. I’m so happy we have him for 1 more year at a low cap hit. He’s earned a permanent spot in the line up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Back in early Dec, I was like "why are we playing this guy, he's not even a top defenseman on our farm team"

Then Noah worked his ass off and shut me up. I love it when our guys can prove me wrong when I doubt them.

A well-deserved nomination, Noah.

It happened earlier for me honestly. I'm really happy with how well he settled in and I'd argue we're better with him in the line up over Cole and Myers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

He’s put the time and work in and has earned this nomination. It used to be a joke, but now we can honestly say that he’s a jewel, son.

goddamnit

• Haha 1

So happy to hear this... he typifies everything perseverances and dedication can bring...

He has brought him self from the bottom of the pile to the forefront as a hard-nosed stay at home defence man.... Been needing those forever, and suddenly we have him, Zadorov, Souzy and Cole, who can all stand their corner.... and Myers is obviously able to play hard nosed hockey as well...

Without doubt my unsung hero of the year (fighting it out with Hogs)..

• Like 1

Every cup winning team needs a Juulsen. That guy who is always working hard and practicing his game. Seeing somebody like Juulsen working his a** off inspires other players, you feel guilty when you see him giving 110% and you know that you have more to give. Even if you arent slacking off yourself, you see Juulsen going so hard it makes you wanna step up and help him out. 

An inspiring story to get back into the NHL as a starting roster player. Heres hoping that Juulsen can finally look forward to a long NHL career... Hopefully with Vancouver.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I was one of the early ones that was up on Juul's making the team. And I'm still banging his drum to be our 7/11 guy. 

He's our best body checker and plays a quiet low event game. I'm hearing rumblings about him in over Myer's.  And you know I love his quieter game. Juul's is level headed and pretty smart. Staying involved without jeopardizing your team is one of his best attributes. 

Congratulations, but he should be in the line up every night. 

This is very true... only 22pm in 53 games... is solid, when you play a hard nosed style of hockey...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1