[PGT] Nucks @ kangz

Good thing is that DeSmith benefited from a spot starts as a back-up but since Demko was injured, he didn't really give us confidence when it comes to a big game starts.   I do not think he'll come back at this salary and give Silvos the back-up job at a lower salary.  We really need to find other money to keep our guys so I feel confident with Silvos as our back-up.  

Also I feel that we didn't really give them our hands too much because if we did, they will make adjustment against us.  Right now, they are in their head and unable to control the game but once they start to find ways.  Once you beat them, momentum will be at our side in due time.  Once they find the next level and they have been in a cruise mode and is getting pressure.  All they need is a win to keep the home-ice for first round.  They will take a video film on what it worked that led us to 3 goals against 1-3-1 and exploit that.  

Also another factor, the Kings has scored first in all games against us in last two months but we all do not know how the Kings will react if we score first if we do meet in the playoffs.  It is another element that Canucks can do better is the counter-attack the Kings if they get desperate.  When they score first, all they have to do is sit back and the Canucks struggle with that.  So when we do meet in the playoffs, we need to score first in the first two games to maintain the home-ice advantage if we win just one game and Vegas/Kings will not be able to reach us in the standing.  We also maintain the destiny when it comes to division title.  Oilers will need to beat us in order to overtake us so next Saturday will be a big game.  

15 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Didn't say that. I'm sure Demko would have made a difference. Just questioning how you know for a fact he would have saved 3 of the goals. 

Still waiting for you to back that up with fact instead of coming at me for questioning it.

You said it, not me.

How do you know he wouldn’t? Asking for a friend….

21 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I'm so tired of the hatred towards DeSmith.

We had a lot of discussions with Penguins fans on Twitter/HF about what to expect from this guy, and they all said the exact same thing: (paraphrasing) Casey is built to be a backup, and will be one of the best in the league. He will get you points more often than not and thrive in a role where he sees <30 games in a season. However, he struggles when he's asked to take on a greater workload. 

What happened this year? First half+ of the season he's arguably a top 3 backup in the league behind a Vezina caliber goaltender. He would give us a chance to win each time he played, was a key part of one of the best tandems in the NHL with Hellebuyck/Brossoit and Sorokin/Varlamov. He gets us points more often than not and had a positive GSAx. He even got a shutout in December against Minnesota, on a night where we didn't play our best game. Now Demko gets hurt, and he starts to see the lions share of the workload. Lo and behold, we're seeing him start to struggle just like every other time in his career this has happened. 

The guy makes just 1.8 million against the cap, has been a backup his entire career, and you're expecting him to hold down the fort while a future Vezina finalist is injured? Even when we knew this could happen going into the season? Prior to this injury, his only bad outing was the Minnesota game where not a single player showed up! I don't know, it may be because I'm a goalie guy myself, but this bothers me to no end. He's done everything he's been asked to do this season and now he's being tasked with too much. How is that his fault, and why are we crucifying him over this? At the tail end of what's been an incredible season for him and this club? 

He's not playing great right now, no doubt, but I'm incredibly satisfied with DeSmith's quality of work this season and would really appreciate if others would stand up for him too. We're showing some awful parts of this fanbase saying he can "get off the team" or "go f*** himself." That's truly unfair to him and completely unwarranted imo.

Be better.

you could just as easily be talking about Spencer Martin, and so could those other posters.

He also got a rough ride when he was overworked.

Back up tendies are almost always back up tendies.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

But without Floperangelo, Roy, and Carrier. 

Sure, but Hertl's a big add nonetheless

He's been practicing for a while now, any time you can add a guy who's arguably a top line forward that's big news 

Just to mention, I'm fine with having Silovs as a back up next season, but if Demko misses a lot of time next season Silovs will also struggle after a few games in a row.

Hope people don't crap on him, in his rookie year.

Silovs is likely 2 years away from being a number 1.

26 minutes ago, Honkin Hronek said:

I'm so tired of the hatred towards DeSmith.

We had a lot of discussions with Penguins fans on Twitter/HF about what to expect from this guy, and they all said the exact same thing: (paraphrasing) Casey is built to be a backup, and will be one of the best in the league. He will get you points more often than not and thrive in a role where he sees <30 games in a season. However, he struggles when he's asked to take on a greater workload. 

What happened this year? First half+ of the season he's arguably a top 3 backup in the league behind a Vezina caliber goaltender. He would give us a chance to win each time he played, was a key part of one of the best tandems in the NHL with Hellebuyck/Brossoit and Sorokin/Varlamov. He gets us points more often than not and had a positive GSAx. He even got a shutout in December against Minnesota, on a night where we didn't play our best game. Now Demko gets hurt, and he starts to see the lions share of the workload. Lo and behold, we're seeing him start to struggle just like every other time in his career this has happened. 

The guy makes just 1.8 million against the cap, has been a backup his entire career, and you're expecting him to hold down the fort while a future Vezina finalist is injured? Even when we knew this could happen going into the season? Prior to this injury, his only bad outing was the Minnesota game where not a single player showed up! I don't know, it may be because I'm a goalie guy myself, but this bothers me to no end. He's done everything he's been asked to do this season and now he's being tasked with too much. How is that his fault, and why are we crucifying him over this? At the tail end of what's been an incredible season for him and this club? 

He's not playing great right now, no doubt, but I'm incredibly satisfied with DeSmith's quality of work this season and would really appreciate if others would stand up for him too. We're showing some awful parts of this fanbase saying he can "get off the team" or "go f*** himself." That's truly unfair to him and completely unwarranted imo.

Be better.

DeSmith, as a whole, has largely been a breath of fresh air in a backup role this season. Agreed. 

For a team that's historically given their backups little to work with no less. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

What, lol, that comment had nothing to do with anything. He's played well. The rest of the team? Not so much.

Actually, he's been up and down a bit. 2 of the LA goals were garbage shots. Casey had straight on looks at the shooter and straight up failed (first 2 goals). The Drew Dummy goal was sad...probably clocked in the 40mph range. Positioning and anticipation (the basic tools of every good goalie) would have stopped both of the first 2 goals.

5 minutes ago, Dom said:

Guentzel has 21 pts with the Canes. Wish we held off on the Lindholm trade and grabbed him instead. Ugh. 

A healthy Lindholm still has time to prove his worth in the playoffs. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Dom said:

Guentzel has 21 pts with the Canes. Wish we held off on the Lindholm trade and grabbed him instead. Ugh. 

We have enough wingers needed a C option especially a right handed one. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We have enough wingers needed a C option especially a right handed one. 

I would disagree. We in fact have a lot of players that can play Center: Miller, Peterson, Suter, Bluegar, Lafferty, Aman

It’s our wingers that needed an improvement. Millers got Boeser, Perry’s got who? Hog lander is the 3rd wheel on any line. But we needed a winger for Petey. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CanuckMan said:

I would disagree. We in fact have a lot of players that can play Center: Miller, Peterson, Suter, Bluegar, Lafferty, Aman

It’s our wingers that needed an improvement. Millers got Boeser, Perry’s got who? Hog lander is the 3rd wheel on any line. But we needed a winger for Petey. 

We needed a right shot C that is crucial in the playoffs to have that option especially a near selke caliber one which Lindholm has been before. Sucks he was banged up but at least he’ll be ready before/during playoffs 

• Tank 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

tbh I find your criticism of others on here to be from a bit of a pedestal. If you have the experience you claim to have, then talking down to other fans who don't have the benefit of it is a bit lame imo. You have an opportunity to teach people on here what things are really like, at least in the CHL/AHL level, but find you often lean into what type of fan someone is being. Just my 2 cents. 

Good thing I could not care less then hey?  Too many here try to tell people what fandom should look like, I call that out.  Don't like it, oh well.  My feelings aren't hurt

50 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

How do you know he wouldn’t? Asking for a friend….

No idea. Maybe he would have, maybe he wouldn't. But that's why I wouldn't say something so matter of fact.

Demko is by far the superior goalie. I just couldn't wrap my head around someone making a statement of claim that Demko would have for sure saved 3 of those goals. 

Either way, moot point.

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We needed a right shot C that is crucial in the playoffs to have that option especially a near selke caliber one which Lindholm has been before. Sucks he was banged up but at least he’ll be ready before/during playoffs 

Disagree. We needed somebody who can provide scoring, especially on the PP. 

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That game against Minnesota on the 19 February did something.

The team has not been the same since.

Not sure if it shattered the teams confidence or what.

Interesting take.

Definitely might have shook their confidence in the whole system behind the NHL machine. I'm sure they felt victimized by the refs that game. Something that hasn't gotten any better since. More questionable calls since the All Star break than the last couple years combined IMHO. And not just for the Canucks. Reffing across the league has never been worse.

That could easily mess with their minds a bit... kind of "doesn't matter what we do, we will still get screwed over". That's a tough mindset to shake off, even for mature professional athletes.

Edited by JayDangles
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yet they’re a trap team.

The most important thing isn’t winning the division it’s avoiding LA.

Let Edmonton have them for the third straight year.

The way it's shaping up it will be the Nuckelheads facing them .......Sigh

If there is (I guess?) a silver lining is that the players probably have a big chip on their shoulder.  I think its motivating to be the underdog and that can add the extra bit of edge the team needs.  Really hoping Lindholm and Demko can provide a boost to the team.  I wonder if they keep Lindy at C?

20 minutes ago, Dom said:

Disagree. We needed somebody who can provide scoring, especially on the PP. 

PP scored fine earlier in the season, needs better execution now I agree but the players we have, have done it before. They need to get back to shots and bodies in front of the net. Too much looking for the perfect play 

17 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Both Moore and Furlatt should be suspended for the rest of the season.  No excuse.

The league is rigged for American teams, always has been, they're Buttman's little darlings.