[PGT] Nucks @ kangz

It’s certainly possible they pick things up come playoff time.  But they have no playoff experience outside of the bubble.  They don’t know what it takes.  The Panthers have slumped horribly but they were in the finals last year.  My confidence in a team like that to turn it on is miles ahead of the Nucks since they’ve lived it. 

Hopefully I’m wrong - and Demko and Lindholm coming back (assuming they do) makes a massive difference.

-GJ

Edited by Guadeloupe Jones

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, they only use a defensive structure like that at certain times, the Canucks do it too.  Most teams do......the kings are just better at it than anyone else 

they just use it a lot. Not sure anyone is 'better at it' though. It makes for some boring games. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

they just use it a lot. Not sure anyone is 'better at it' though. It makes for some boring games. 

They use it when a team gets quick possession on a dump in, that's about it

The Canucks stink right now. I’m somewhat confident they will get out of this and have a competitive first round. But the chance of a first round exit can’t be ignored. 

I’m still choosing to enjoy the wins and not fret about the losses. That’s how I keep this team from driving me insane lol. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

They use it when a team gets quick possession on a dump in, that's about it

The Kings fall back into their neutral zone trap when Quinn Hughes is on the ice. They are coached to protect against the greatest players. They don’t play this way when McWhiner Baby is on ice. Interesting, isn’t it? 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Kings fall back into their neutral zone trap when Quinn Hughes is on the ice. They are coached to protect against the greatest players. They don’t play this way when McWhiner Baby is on ice. Interesting, isn’t it? 

That's because Hughes is elite at quick retrieval and transition.

When they can get in on the fire check, they do.........which is quite often.  Then, they go into the standard 1-2-2

The thing for me that kind of bugs me is this: when did the self-proclaimed experts who've known all along because they're objective and we're not make their assessments?

If they're going back over the last couple of years, this team has changed (quite a bit). So that team or this team?

It's a moving target and to somehow pretend they knew the trajectory of "this team" is kind of silly....because they didn't have all the information in place to do so. If they started projecting based on last year, this was our team:

432939715_10160849713475549_205017421210

So no, I don't think they've observed and critically analyzed in order to know what THIS team in the here and now will do. Because this team you can only assess on this year. And it's really tough to know what they'll do based on their season and running hot then cold.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

um, that team takes pride in using it more than most: https://theathletic.com/5387259/2024/04/03/la-kings-defense-system/

Absolutely they do and they should.  They're incredibly disciplined and a tight unit in the nzone.

I'm not saying they don't do it, just that it's not their primary system........like all teams, they do it when they know that getting in on the forecheck won't happen 

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Absolutely they do and they should.  They're incredibly disciplined and a tight unit in the nzone.

I'm not saying they don't do it, just that it's not their primary system........like all teams, they do it when they know that getting in on the forecheck won't happen 

So what happened, then, from Dec. 28 - Jan. 28 when they lost 14/16 games or something like that?

Seems it wasn't working so well.

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

These threads would be so much easier to read, if people would stop with the personal attacks.

Where do you see them?

Report them (rather than addressing them here and adding extra clutter). That way they're sure to be seen.

All we need is one solid game to turn this around. Winning records start with one win. It’s not the first time this team has hit a skid and it won’t be the last. They’ll turn this around in perfect timing to compete well in the playoffs.

Demko and Lindholm’s injuries may be a blessing in disguise. We will have the most rested #1 goaltender and a fresh highly skilled 200 ft center. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Literally? 😂

Why? We could face LA or Vegas winning the division or not. We would also still have home ice advantage.

At this point it doesn't matter who we face.

Nashville was just on a heater of a run, and then choose between Oilers, Kings , Vegas.

I would almost prefer Vegas to start as the first round as it is by far, the most unpredictable round so if we have solid goaltending we can beat these guys.

If we take down Vegas, like we did Calgary back in 94 who was heavily favored, it could set us up for a run.

Having Desmith for the past month just tells you that with average goaltending you're going to be a 500 team or slight better. Look at Tampa without V at the start of the season, Edmonton with Skinner struggling early, or Calgary without Marky. They're beatable teams any night because the team has to play a different style over the long term whether they admit it or not.

Key injuries matter, especially goaltending.

Seeing the last few games of the year with Demko back to form will display what kind of team we ice,  and the chances we have against any first round opponent.

If he's bubble Demko then watch out!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • Desmenko 1

11 minutes ago, Nucklifer said:

At this point it doesn't matter who we face.

Nashville was just on a heater of a run, and then choose between Oilers, Kings , Vegas.

I would almost prefer Vegas to start as the first round as it is by far, the most unpredictable round so if we have solid goaltending we can beat these guys.

If we take down Vegas, like we did Calgary back in 94 who was heavily favored, it could set us up for a run.

Having Desmith for the past month just tells you that with average goaltending you're going to be a 500 team or slight better. Look at Tampa without V at the start of the season, Edmonton with Skinner struggling early, or Calgary without Marky. They're beatable teams any night because the team has to play a different style over the long term whether they admit it or not.

Key injuries matter, especially goaltending.

Seeing the last few games of the year with Demko back to form will display what kind of team we ice,  and the chances we have against any first round opponent.

If he's bubble Demko then watch out!

I disagree, I think it's crucial

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I think "Here lies Stawns, he waited for disappointment" will be his epitaph. 

Why's that?  I was one of the few optimistic ones for the last two seasons.  I don't really get disappointed, I just go with what I see on the ice.

Last year, I thought they were better than their record, this season, I think they're not as good as their record.  There isn't a "positive" poster on here who, deep down, isn't expecting the other shoe to drop at some point

I'm a very positive person, you can't do what I do for a living if you're not.