[PGT] Nucks @ kangz

Just now, PureQuickness said:

Reading from the people online, there's a lot of emphasis on goaltending. Am I the only one who doesn't think this is the goalie's fault at all? We've been partly unlucky but also partly self-inflicted due to our anemic powerplay. We shouldn't be THAT bad on the PP.

6 goals on 29 shots is abysmal. We outplayed them last night, and were deserving of the win. With that said, yes the PP has been hot trash as well. 

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

LA has gotten the first goal in every game. Contrary to a common belief, LA can play offence. It’s just not the way they win the game. They must get a lead first, then they initiate their game plan. Fall back and clog the middle and wait for turnovers or PPs.

We have to be the ones that knock. 

LA turns it up to eleven at the start. An unsustainable pace. Because they know with their system it’s crucial to get the lead early to have any success. They come out of the gates like a run n gun team from the eighties. It’s like the Canucks don’t understand what they’re in for against LA. 

We can beat these guys. the underlining stats show that. 

the early penalties killed us. That and the bad PKs that followed

I’m not as down on the loss after sleeping on it. We were doubling their shots. Terrible “roughing” call on Zak. They were able to capitalize and we weren’t . With Desmith having an off night on top of it. It was just so damn disappointing. 

But I think we can absolutely beat LA in the playoffs with the right strategy

• Cheers 4

11 minutes ago, KFAN said:

Agreed. If my count is right, there are only 16 out of 42 who are on the active roster, with a few bouncing back and forth between Abby and Vcr. It's a different team, and a much better team. However we do in the playoffs, I believe we're in for some exciting hockey.

You're right. We're in for exciting hockey. The playoffs are a different beast. Healthy Demko will make a difference.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

One swallow does not make a summer.

Expecting to dominate teams this time of year is unrealistic anyways. Especially when. Tocchet has put an emphasis on defense first.

• Cheers 4

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

we're winning the cup.

this. year. 

Why not?

Every other year we haven't. Time for us to be the underdogs who take it all. Playoff positions are nice but we do better when written off. 

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Cheers 3

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

not really a hot take.. it's a bad take.. oilers can not overtake the canucks unless they finish ahead of them in points literally. the the canucks to finish at 107 points they need to go 3-1-1 or 0-0-5 for oilers to finish at 107 points they need to go 4-2-0.. the 3 wins for the canucks are going to be regulation/ot.. let's be real they ain't gonna win any shootouts.. 

canucks finish with 50 wins oilers finish with 51 wins.. canucks finish with 50 REGULATION OVERTIME wins edmonton finish with 49.. tie breaker is not who have the most wins.. it's who have the most regulation overtime wins.. canucks hold every single tiebreaker against oilers the only way they can win is finish with more points.

Not really sure what you’re blathering about, but my take is not only possible but probable.

To get to 107 points would see us with 2 outright wins and an overtime loss…putting us at a total of 49 wins. We’ve been playing .500 hockey lately and our schedule is not easy.

For Edmonton to get 107 points, they need 4 outright wins…putting them at a total of 51 overall wins. Have you looked at their schedule?

Anyway, I guess we’ll see…

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Expecting to dominate teams this time of year is unrealistic anyways. Especially when. Tocchet has put an emphasis on defense first.

It's completely unrealistic, and you can see the set up each game in the GDTs with "should" this, "should" that, easy win, etc. The Coyotes game against us was a perfect example. They scored seven goals on Vegas last night.  

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

While we put too much emphasis on "a savior" I do believe that goaltending's one of the most important elements during playoffs.

That and overall team health (and officiating which, sadly, can really make or break things by drastically changing momentum).

Agree about other team dynamics.

Regarding Demko, specially, it's like I said earlier ...

We know healthy Demko makes a huge key difference. The team will play differently in front of him.

All one needs to do is look at the difference between unhealthy Demko and the season we had last year (and people said that was really the team we were) and healthy Demko and the season we've had this year.

He'll not only be rested and recovered, he'll also be a much needed  psychological component for the team in knowing he's back between the pipes. As we've seen in the past, it will likely be a motivating factor.

• Cheers 1

Desmith is definitely not helping right now.My big concern is Petey.It's 2 fold.His play is of real concern but during the homestand after games he's struggled or the team has lost he goes home and it stays in his head.I'm pretty sure he lives alone and doesn't have something else to take his mind off of bad games.aA guy like Miller has a wife and kids and can get away from the game.This leads to my second issue.If Petterson has that same wrist problem,which  he's dealt with for a few years,which I belive is back again based on his shooting recently, why doesn't he stay  in Vancouver to have it properly dealt with.Petey does the samething every year,goes back to Sweden to be with family, after spending his off time in Vancouver for the most part alone.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

We seem to be doing the inverse of usual. Only teams we can beat lately are the bad ones. 
What is concerning is that we can’t seem to get interested in playing the teams that we are probably going to meeting on the playoffs. We have absolutely laid down to take it from both Vegas and LA.
Q looks like the only one interested in winning since ASB. 

Still 21-12-3 against current playoff teams overall including 15-6-3 against the top 10. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Reading from the people online, there's a lot of emphasis on goaltending. Am I the only one who doesn't think this is the goalie's fault at all? We've been partly unlucky but also partly self-inflicted due to our anemic powerplay. We shouldn't be THAT bad on the PP.

The PP is not helping the case but there is a massive difference in the quality of goaltending between DeSmith and Demko, anyone denying it is doing so with pure ignorance.  That still doesn’t excuse the PP or secondary scoring from not pulling their weight either. And Petey’s slump is compounding these issues too. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

All we need is one solid game to turn this around. Winning records start with one win. It’s not the first time this team has hit a skid and it won’t be the last. They’ll turn this around in perfect timing to compete well in the playoffs.

Demko and Lindholm’s injuries may be a blessing in disguise. We will have the most rested #1 goaltender and a fresh highly skilled 200 ft center. 

Another good, reasonable take, and so much truth. This could very well be perfect timing. 

We all knew this would be a tough stretch going into these final few games.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The PP is not helping the case but there is a massive difference in the quality of goaltending between DeSmith and Demko, annoying denying it is doing so with pure ignorance.  That still doesn’t excuse the PP or secondary scoring from not pulling their weight either. And Petey’s slump is compounding these issues too. 

Exactly this. And those latter factors are not absolute. They're fluid. It doesn't mean what we see now will be the defining factors come playoff time. We need to fix those things and thankfully we have these last few games to prep. 

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

One swallow does not make a summer.

Depends if she's cute and sticks around all summer...then, yeah...great summer.

• Haha 2

I think we're seeing now why DeSmith is not a starting NHL goalie. He's good in short bursts but then fades with the increased workload. It's OK because we built up a decent record prior to some key injuries (predictable), so again, I'm not surprised that we are fading a bit on the back end of the year. Our playoff success will depend upon our first round matchup (no duh). If LAK or VGK we could be 1 round and out (which I think most of us would have been very happy with back in October). But if we catch Nashville or St. Louis (very slim chance) then we could see 2 rounds of playoff hockey from the lads. We'll see how this goes I guess...lots of juggling to occur yet.