[PGT] Nucks @ kangz

15 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

The way it's shaping up it will be the Nuckelheads facing them .......Sigh

Could be LA, Vegas or Nashville at this point. It’s still very much up in the air.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Could be LA, Vegas or Nashville at this point. It’s still very much up in the air.

Each with its own opportunities and downsides. Call me crazy, but I still think we take la in 7 in playoff mode. 

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

And 2-5 against Vegas and LA. 

I'd also be curious as to how many of the 21 were prior to the all star break. I'm too lazy to check. Regardless, previous record isn't always a good predictor of payoff results. Goalies get hot, PP clicks, some teams just play better against others, etc.  etc.  Watching the Canucks lately, its hard to see what they are going to pull out of the hat to make those big impacts apart from the return of Demko. I remain optimistic that the coaching staff and players have it in them, but they'll need to really ramp up somehow.

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Each with its own opportunities and downsides. Call me crazy, but I still think we take la in 7 in playoff mode. 

Not crazy about the edge they would have with the most recent wins not to mention the one sided officiating California teams always get.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Not crazy about the edge they would have with the most recent wins not to mention the one sided officiating California teams always get.

With Demko and Lindy's defensive skills, and the team not taking LA lightly, I like our chances.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Given smart coaching and adapting to the play during the series, they have the talent to win the series, yes.

• ThereItIs 1

53 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We needed a right shot C that is crucial in the playoffs to have that option especially a near selke caliber one which Lindholm has been before. Sucks he was banged up but at least he’ll be ready before/during playoffs 

We weren’t really winning with him in the line up. If they medically clear players before trades then his injury happened after he got here.

The Canucks have not been in the playoffs in a while.  The fans will be amped up. The place will be loud.

I think the struggles finishing up the season will just serve to take the pressure off the guys as they don't have to go in as favorites. 

I think people will underestimate their will to win once the second season begins!

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Dom said:

Guentzel has 21 pts with the Canes. Wish we held off on the Lindholm trade and grabbed him instead. Ugh. 

How do you expect him to put up points on a 3rd line with Lafferty and Mikheyev?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

The Canucks have not been in the playoffs in a while.  The fans will be amped up. The place will be loud.

I think the struggles finishing up the season will just serve to take the pressure off the guys as they don't have to go in as favorites. 

I think people will underestimate their will to win once the second season begins!

True, but that is the same for all teams (amped up fans and a will to win).

11 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Given smart coaching and adapting to the play during the series, they have the talent to win the series, yes.

not saying it'll be easy, but fully healthy and motivated, yeah I think we get it done. 

2 minutes ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

True, but that is the same for all teams (amped up fans and a will to win).

Do we have to start calling you Canuck Downer Under?

Lol.

1 hour ago, Dom said:

Guentzel has 21 pts with the Canes. Wish we held off on the Lindholm trade and grabbed him instead. Ugh. 

Would have cost Lekkeramaki or Willander.

There was no deal to be made. They had no interest in our prospects outside those two.

The Canes had more pieces to part with and clearly Bunting was an important piece for Dubas.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

not saying it'll be easy, but fully healthy and motivated, yeah I think we get it done. 

The Canucks should have a good edge in overall talent. If they can break through the defensive 1-3-1 they should be able to win. I'd be more worried playing against teams with players like McDavid who can beat you with pure individual talent.

• MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

What was negative?  Are you suggesting the other teams won't care about winning?

I'll give you another chance. My main point was that the struggles closing out the season will help take the pressure off of expectations going into the playoffs. Which could be very positive. You didn't comment on that. What are your thoughts?

Wet Blanket Weekend: Nothing Stays the Same Forever

Starring ...

Frankie Avalon as JT Miller

Tab Hunter as Petey

Bobby Rydell as Brock Boeser

And ... introducing ...

Telly Savalas as Rick Tocchet

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Same, any team except Dallas. They have 9 forwards who can be top 6 players.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

I'll give you another chance. My main point was that the struggles closing out the season will help take the pressure off of expectations going into the playoffs. Which could be very positive. You didn't comment on that. What are your thoughts?

That is a fair point. It is balanced a bit by not having as much momentum and confidence. In reality, what happens now isn't necessarily a good predictor of the what will happen in the playoffs. There are just so many variables. I suspect that getting their starting goalie back will be huge (the importance of playing with confidence in your goalie can't be understated). I also wonder if there are line combinations and plays that they are working on but haven't deployed yet so other teams don't adjust to them prior to the playoffs. Especially on the PP. One goal against lower with Demko and even one PP goal per game is a huge swing and will put them into a strong position.

43 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

PP scored fine earlier in the season, needs better execution now I agree but the players we have, have done it before. They need to get back to shots and bodies in front of the net. Too much looking for the perfect play 

They need to get back to tips and deflections. Kuzy scored over half his goals last year from tips.

Hyman in Edm is a plug who stands in front of the net and either tips or hacks at rebounds.

They need to practice tips or firing it at the player at the far post.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

That is a fair point. It is balanced a bit by not having as much momentum and confidence. In reality, what happens now isn't necessarily a good predictor of the what will happen in the playoffs. There are just so many variables. I suspect that getting their starting goalie back will be huge (the importance of playing with confidence in your goalie can't be understated). I also wonder if there are line combinations and plays that they are working on but haven't deployed yet so other teams don't adjust to them prior to the playoffs. Especially on the PP. One goal against lower with Demko and even one PP goal per game is a huge swing and will put them into a strong position.

Ok you're back.  I will be at the game tomorrow, lucky to be in fantastic seats close enough to see the guys talking on the bench.  I'll let you know what vibe I get from the bench.

None of us know what's gonna happen, but after 53 years of following this team I firmly believe that they play better without the weight of lofty expectations - so for my money the .500 hockey they've played lately won't hurt them when the show starts.

• Cheers 1

Just now, fanfor42 said:

Ok you're back.  I will be at the game tomorrow, lucky to be in fantastic seats close enough to see the guys talking on the bench.  I'll let you know what vibe I get from the bench.

None of us know what's gonna happen, but after 53 years of following this team I firmly believe that they play better without the weight of lofty expectations - so for my money the .500 hockey they've played lately won't hurt them when the show starts.

Sounds awesome. I've had seats like that before but usually when they were in the dumps and scalpers weren't asking much for them. Seeing their body language and how they interact will be interesting.

Another thing Ive noticed over the past handful of games is how much the Canucks seem to miss the net on relatively good scoring chances.  Hopefully they can improve their accuracy a bit

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

I've also followed them from the first puck drop. There are a few of us here from the very beginning.

• Cheers 1