[PGT] Nucks @ kangz

1 minute ago, AngryGoose said:

Another thing Ive noticed over the past handful of games is how much the Canucks seem to miss the net on relatively good scoring chances.  Hopefully they can improve their accuracy a bit

That might be a bit of confidence. A couple going in will correct that pretty quickly.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Combover said:

Need demko back.

need to change pp to include a net front presence

this looks like the perimeter passing no shot pp of the sedins.

sit myers.

No shot powerplay of the Sedins? What are you talking about? 

The Sedins powerplay worked the puck around with mastery until the opposition was so worn down they were able to easily find open shooters like Daniel, Burrows, Salo, or Edler.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

No shot powerplay of the Sedins? What are you talking about? 

The Sedins powerplay worked the puck around with mastery until the opposition was so worn down they were able to easily find open shooters like Daniel, Burrows, Salo, or Edler.

The Sedins were great but if you didn't  yell at the TV at least once to shoot the puck while they were on the power play  You're not being honest with yourself lmao 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Each with its own opportunities and downsides. Call me crazy, but I still think we take la in 7 in playoff mode. 

Difficult but do-able actually against most teams.  No question, special teams have been the enigma the past 2 months. Not sure if someone has some stats but wondering how the team results would differ  if you removed the special team results.

The Canucks will need to sort out their PK - their goal-tending needs to be much sharper.  With the goal-tending issue, is the goalie beaten by the first shot or by a rebound.  If it is former, I feel that's partly the responsibility of the goalie + positioning - if the latter, the D surrounding the goalie is not boxing out or clearing the area properly. 

It has been a disappointing last 2 months - but some areas of weakness have been discovered before the playoffs which may be a blessing - when the games start in round 01 - everyone starts at zero.  It will be up to Canucks to correct these weaknesses before then and I hope RT + company can devote the necessary extended time to this area. I expect as the playoffs ramp up, they will also start "blocking" the appropriate shots more often (should get Ryan J to consult + help out). 

It would nice to finish first but just looked at the schedules - LA seems to have a "slightly better schedule than Vegas - and most likely finish 3rd.  EDM will probably not catch Dallas or Colorado - so by winning the division - may face Vegas.  Lets see what happens in the final week and where the chips fall.  Still too many variables at this point.

Edited by hockeyfan-observer

i wonder if part of the issue is the disparity in mindset at 5 on 5 vs powerplay. 

at 5 on 5, tocchet has said (very recently, though I can't remember where) that they don't like to waste shots or shoot from everywhere. if it's a low percentage area, they'd rather hold on to it and make a play. 

at 5 on 4 tocchet wants constant motion, a constant attack mindset, shots on net and causing chaos in front to generate scrambles and 2nd and 3rd chances. 

both strategies make perfect sense, but I have to imagine it's challenging to switch gears mentally back and forth on offense. 

• Cheers 1

They don't have a proper left handed bumper for the way they play the PP. Miller and Hughes spend a lot of time passing back and forth and Petey and Brock are more puck retrieval or screen lately. Suter can't tip or shoot accurately enough. They need to all skate more and look for timing shots with Petey and Brock. Right now, by the time the puck gets to them, they're covered.

16 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Ok you're back.  I will be at the game tomorrow, lucky to be in fantastic seats close enough to see the guys talking on the bench.  I'll let you know what vibe I get from the bench.

None of us know what's gonna happen, but after 53 years of following this team I firmly believe that they play better without the weight of lofty expectations - so for my money the .500 hockey they've played lately won't hurt them when the show starts.

Good point about the expectations. I'd also say recently, bigger picture, we've been better when we've had something to play for, on the line and the stakes were higher.

Despite falling short, the great turnaround and push for playoffs during Bruce's run was a good example. 

5 hours ago, YourTimeisNow said:

Not really sure what you’re blathering about, but my take is not only possible but probable.

To get to 107 points would see us with 2 outright wins and an overtime loss…putting us at a total of 49 wins. We’ve been playing .500 hockey lately and our schedule is not easy.

For Edmonton to get 107 points, they need 4 outright wins…putting them at a total of 51 overall wins. Have you looked at their schedule?

Anyway, I guess we’ll see…

please do your homework or know the tiebreaker rules being arguing because it makes you look stupid.. tiebreaker is not decided on total win.. the 1st tie breaker is regulation w.. canucks have the advantage.. the 2nd tiebreaker is regulation overtime win.. again the canucks have the advantage.. the 3rd tiebreaker is total win only then edmonton would have the advantage.. but at 51 overall wins they only have 49 regulation/overtime win.. canucks have 49 regulation/overtime win.. but let see the 1st tiebreaker regulation win.. canucks currently have 41 oilers have 37.. there's literally no way for oilers to catch us unless you think the canucks will win every single game in OT from here on out and oilers win every single game in regulation.. aka oilers can't finish ahead of the canucks coz they win the biggest tiebreaker "REGULATION WIN" i dunno why you keep spewing about total owin when that is the 3rd tiebreaker.

there's literally a less than <1% chance the oilers can finish ahead of the canucks on tiebreakers.. so your so call probable is improbable unless they lead outright in points.. your scenario would require the canucks to get their wins in OT or shootouts ONLY and oilers win every game in regulation only.

• Thanks 2
  • ThereItIs 1

15 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

The Sedins were great but if you didn't  yell at the TV at least once to shoot the puck while they were on the power play  You're not being honest with yourself lmao 

Big difference is they consistently scored on it. We had the best powerplay in league in 2011 and a top 5 in 2012.

• Cheers 3

I don't see the Canucks getting out of the first round this year.  They wither under pressure.  It was easy to play early in the season because they were underdogs.  Now that they aren't they are buckling and panicking and abandoning the systematic play that made the majority of the season easier.

This is a team issue.  They need to get in the room together and regroup.  This isn't an issue fixable by 1 guy being better.  They all need to be better.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

please do your homework or know the tiebreaker rules being arguing because it makes you look stupid.. tiebreaker is not decided on total win.. the 1st tie breaker is regulation w.. canucks have the advantage.. the 2nd tiebreaker is regulation overtime win.. again the canucks have the advantage.. the 3rd tiebreaker is total win only then edmonton would have the advantage.. but at 51 overall wins they only have 49 regulation/overtime win.. canucks have 49 regulation/overtime win.. but let see the 1st tiebreaker regulation win.. canucks currently have 41 oilers have 37.. there's literally no way for oilers to catch us unless you think the canucks will win every single game in OT from here on out and oilers win every single game in regulation.. aka oilers can't finish ahead of the canucks coz they win the biggest tiebreaker "REGULATION WIN" i dunno why you keep spewing about total owin when that is the 3rd tiebreaker.

there's literally a less than <1% chance the oilers can finish ahead of the canucks on tiebreakers.. so your so call probable is improbable unless they lead outright in points.. your scenario would require the canucks to get their wins in OT or shootouts ONLY and oilers win every game in regulation only.

Just have to win at least two of the three games, or pick up 5/6 points this week and we'll have the division locked up. The only chance Edmonton has at it is if we lose out and they win out. 

Edited by Pears
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Would have cost Lekkeramaki or Willander.

There was no deal to be made. They had no interest in our prospects outside those two.

The Canes had more pieces to part with and clearly Bunting was an important piece for Dubas.

Yup, despite being a contender the Canes had a deeper prospect pool than we did. Our prospect pool is more top heavy. 

The price for Guentzel was too high for the Canucks or they'd probably have pulled the trigger. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yup, despite being a contender the Canes had a deeper prospect pool than we did. Our prospect pool is more top heavy. 

The price for Guentzel was too high for the Canucks or they'd probably have pulled the trigger. 

Exactly.

Even if we still had the 2024 1st and Brewstayvich, Carolina still beats our offer.

Including Hoglander or one of our bluechippers was likely the only path to a deal.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

his Dad passed away at the age of 61 in spring of '22
i give anyone a pass that is going through tough personal issues
this fan base can be pretty heartless at times ngl

Exactly this. Then the same people turn around and wonder why we have the rep that we do. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Pears said:

Just have to win at least two of the three games, or pick up 5/6 points this week and we'll have the division locked up. The only chance Edmonton has at it is if we lose out and they win out. 

we should be able to guarantee 4 point if we play our game.. just have to figure out how to beat either edmonton winnipeg or vegas once.. tbh i think the lastgame against winnipeg would be the easiest.. i can see winnipeg resting players unless 2nd is still in play.. there's no way they are catching dallas.. and like i said earlier the edmonton game they'll be on a back to back flying into vancouver from arizona which is still a 3-4 hr flight.. there's really no excuse to not be up for that game and beat the crap out of them with the division literally on the line.. if they lay an egg then they deserve to lose the division

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Exactly.

Even if we still had the 2024 1st and Brewstayvich, Carolina still beats our offer.

Including Hoglander or one of our bluechippers was likely the only path to a deal.

Agreed, I was encouraged that management didn't ship out our blue chip guys. They've done a savvy job drafting thus far, I hope to see them use high picks to acquire more of them going forward. 

Picks can be currency, but I'm hoping they balance trading and using first and second round picks better than past management groups have. 

18 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

his Dad passed away at the age of 61 in spring of '22
i give anyone a pass that is going through tough personal issues
this fan base can be pretty heartless at times ngl

10 minutes ago, Pears said:

Exactly this. Then the same people turn around and wonder why we have the rep that we do. 

We're finally seeing Boeser come into his own and step into the potential we saw in his early years. 

He went from overcoming injury to dealing with his father. This year's success was a long time coming. Great for him and us.

And good on JR and management for supporting him through it.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

We weren’t really winning with him in the line up. If they medically clear players before trades then his injury happened after he got here.

He has been playing banged up virtually since arrival scored 2 and won the first game he played too. Then whatever’s bugging him seemed to get worse, I’ll wait till he comes back healthy to fully judge him here. 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, Pears said:

And they need to win out while rotating who is fighting Evander Kane on the bench next every game. Lol 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, tas said:

i wonder if part of the issue is the disparity in mindset at 5 on 5 vs powerplay. 

at 5 on 5, tocchet has said (very recently, though I can't remember where) that they don't like to waste shots or shoot from everywhere. if it's a low percentage area, they'd rather hold on to it and make a play. 

at 5 on 4 tocchet wants constant motion, a constant attack mindset, shots on net and causing chaos in front to generate scrambles and 2nd and 3rd chances. 

both strategies make perfect sense, but I have to imagine it's challenging to switch gears mentally back and forth on offense. 

The irony is that they are always in motion at 5v5 and very stationary and predictable at 5v4

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

We weren’t really winning with him in the line up. If they medically clear players before trades then his injury happened after he got here.

What? We were 7-1-1 in the last 9 games Lindholm played for us. Lol. We stopped winning when he went down. He was averaging 66% in the dot as well. He wasn't playing great, but he was a very solid piece to have. This team thrives on puck possession. Winning 2/3rds of your draws is a good way to start with the puck.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

42 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

But they can certainly finish ahead of us in points and will probably do so the way both teams are playing.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He has been playing banged up virtually since arrival scored 2 and won the first game he played too. Then whatever’s bugging him seemed to get worse, I’ll wait till he comes back healthy to fully judge him here. 

Just in general I think the break will do him good both physically and mentally. 

• Cheers 1