[PGT] Nucks @ kangz

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

I have our playoff song ready, it's so obvious but it fits. It's a progression, it even mentions the damn prize. I hope the Canucks DJ has the same idea.

Says Vid not available in my country (Canada)

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Future Considerations said:

I think Canucks will win enough to close out the season to clinch first in the division  and then, ready themselves for their playoff opponent.  This we know, the Canucks will be competing for the Stanley Cup in 2024.  

I agree.

They (Edmonton) need a third of their remaining games to pass us. If we win 2 of our last five, they need 4 of thir six to pass us. We win 3 and they can only afford to lose one. That is where my head is at, win 3 games, and hopefully one of them is against Edmonton.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

True, but that is the same for all teams (amped up fans and a will to win).

It's not all on the players, then .... we just need our fans to be ampier

5 hours ago, JayDangles said:

They need to get back to tips and deflections. Kuzy scored over half his goals last year from tips.

Hyman in Edm is a plug who stands in front of the net and either tips or hacks at rebounds.

They need to practice tips or firing it at the player at the far post.

That's where my boy (LK) is making his mark for Abby.

22 hours ago, JamesB said:

I will start this with an old hockey adage that I have used before but not much this year:

"The team with the better goalie usually wins." That happened tonight.

Here are some more comments.

1. Goaltending.  DeSmith had another bad night. None of the goals were "bad" goals, but they were all preventable. The first two goals were good shots, but unscreened and DeSmith was overplaying the short side and leaving too much space on the long side. The third goal was deflected but scored in the same area and would have been a save with better positioning. The Kings obviously figured out that DeSmith has a weakness high on the stick side. On the other goals he just did not look on top of his game. Yes, they were good chances, but good goalies stop most of those chances. The expected goals against number was 2.23 and the actual goals against was 6 for goals above expected of close to 4. This is not good. And DeSmith was bad in last start and not great before that. His save percentage on the season is 89.1%. Among goalies who have played at least 1000 minutes, that ranks 57th out of 67. 

2. Silovs has to start the next game. DeSmith was good when he played occasionally in carefully selected games. And did well for a few games after Demko went out. But he has broken down under pressure, much as Spencer Martin did last year. 

3. In the underlying stats the Canucks were the better team. Canucks led in all strength Corsi 76-45, in shots 41-29, in scoring chances 36-17, and in high danger chances 19-8. And it was not just a late surge. The Canucks dominated all three periods.

4. The Miller line had another good game, picking up a nice goal and being ahead 6-1 in scoring chances. Miller continues his push for 100 pts. Petey's line also had a good game and it is nice to Boeser get another goal bringing within one of 40. And Petey is still on pace for 90 pts. Nice individual milestones, although of course they care a lot more about winning than about personal stats.

5. Rinse and Repeat for the Blueger line (with Mik and Podz). Once again they had a good statistical game and once again they did not score, although Blueger got a shorthanded goal. Mikheyev may set a record for how many scoring chances you can get without scoring a goal. I still keep thinking he will start getting bounces, although obviously he is not a good finisher.

6. Hughes. It might be tempting to say that Hughes took a step back today. And he did get beaten on LA's shorthanded goal (although DeSmith could have played it better). But, once again, the ice was tilted when he was on the ice. The even strength Corsi was 25-9 when he was on the ice and he played over 25 minutes.

7. To respond to @Conscience, in my opinion the Canucks probably do win this game if Demko plays.

Bottom line: Disappointing loss, but it is not like the team played poorly (except for DeSmith), although Soucy did not play well. I would be tempted to put Juulsen in for Soucy for next game, along with Silovs for DeSmith.  And Lindholm would be a big upgrade on Aman but there is no point in rushing him.

I am expecting a bounceback against Vegas in the next game. At least I am hoping.

James, another great summary.

I wondered if anyone else had picked up on DeSmith overplaying the short side on the first LA goal.

Generally DeSmith was looking small, slow, and out of position for a good part of the night.

I too was starting to think of how DeSmith was looking just the same as Martin did last season when Demko was out for an extended period. Good for a few games in relief but not able to handle the rigours of the starting goalie job. 

DeSmith may have had some hope for a salary bump for next season. 

His recent play as a starter may have put the kibosh on any such bump.

Agree that perhaps Soucy should sit for a game. Give him a one game reset. He was looking kind of lost out there.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Watching the Stars/Avs game and Ferraro touched on the importance of having your goalie dialed in and not playing nervous. When your goalie is shaky it affects the whole team. We’ve seen it before.

A goalie making a big save can give a boost to the rest of the team and they can just relax and play their game.

When they’re worried any shot could be in the back of their net they play tentative and nervous. That’s the real game changing ability Demko brings. He calms the team down. DeSmith isn’t bringing that right now.

That’s why it’s impossible for me to evaluate the team right now with the Demko injury. Team just plays too different when Demko isn’t in net.

Nothing against DeSmith, he’s been great all season.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

There isn’t a team that doesn’t have any weaknesses.

What about Dallas? They have like 9 top 6 forwards, good defence especially with the addition of Tanev and elite goaltending. 

I just don’t see anything wrong with that team right now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, J-23 said:

What about Dallas? They have like 9 top 6 forwards, good defence especially with the addition of Tanev and elite goaltending. 

Elite goaltending?  More like decent goaltending.  If Jake Oettinger played like he did in the past, the Stars would be running away with the President's Trophy.

But I won't lie - I think that "weakness" will evaporate pretty quickly once the playoffs start.

• Huggy Bear 1

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic
12 hours ago, ABNuck said:

Actually, he's been up and down a bit. 2 of the LA goals were garbage shots. Casey had straight on looks at the shooter and straight up failed (first 2 goals). The Drew Dummy goal was sad...probably clocked in the 40mph range. Positioning and anticipation (the basic tools of every good goalie) would have stopped both of the first 2 goals.

He's let in a couple bad goals like any goalie. Pretty damn good overall though, especially as a backup. The team has not played as well as he has.

Edited by Gawdzukes

5 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

Says Vid not available in my country (Canada)

Alive and kicking - Simple Minds.

The next big follow-up single to "Don't you forget about me", so has link to our regular season goal song plus mentions the sweetest cup. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, J-23 said:

They still gave up 4 to the Avs so no they’re not perfect.

Oettinger may be elite but he’s been having a below average season stats wise. In a battle of goaltending they might not get the edge.

• Huggy Bear 1

14 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

The Sedins were great but if you didn't  yell at the TV at least once to shoot the puck while they were on the power play  You're not being honest with yourself lmao 

This is so true. The difference being eventually they would score at the end of their shift or get a quick change with worn out D so the fresh second unit would get some good looks and usually score. Whereas that is not happening currently.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, YourTimeisNow said:

Not really sure what you’re blathering about, but my take is not only possible but probable.

To get to 107 points would see us with 2 outright wins and an overtime loss…putting us at a total of 49 wins. We’ve been playing .500 hockey lately and our schedule is not easy.

For Edmonton to get 107 points, they need 4 outright wins…putting them at a total of 51 overall wins. Have you looked at their schedule?

Anyway, I guess we’ll see…

What they’re “blathering on about” is the tiebreaker rules that you clearly don’t understand, lol. It’s regulation wins that is first tiebreaker, which Edmonton does not have. Look at how many of their wins came in OT. Canucks have the first 2 tiebreakers.

14 hours ago, stawns said:

The irony is that they are always in motion at 5v5 and very stationary and predictable at 5v4

Yes the lack of movement is mind boggling and makes no sense. It really is an easy fix. I’m hoping they’re just playing safe, not showing their cards too early and we see a mobile PP in the playoffs.

20232024-21227-all.png

20232024-21227-5v5.png

xGF 4.66

xGA 2.33

HDCF 20

HDCA 8

PP HDCA 1

PP HDCF 6

This losing thing cant go on forever when the heat map and stats look like that. Its very favorable towards us. 

On 4/7/2024 at 7:22 AM, JayDangles said:

I'm just pointing out how silly it is to say things that no one knows.

If I said, if Lindholm was playing then we wouldn't have given up the first 2 goals because he's a good penalty killer then I'm sure someone on here would have said that's  ridiculous statement.

Not sure why this is so confusing.

The fact you're too dense to understand that the quality in play from Demko to Desmith is vastly different than Lindholm to whomever is playing his role on the PK is why people are upset lol. That and you're taking their comments super literally for the sake of being argumentative. Ever heard the phrase "you're splitting hairs"? That's exactly what you're doing.

You keep doubling down on that position too, which is further riling people up. 

There's subjective opinion, and then there's objective facts. Demko>Desmith and it's not even close. 

On 4/7/2024 at 10:49 PM, stawns said:

Van

Vegas - L

Az - w

Edm - L

Cgy - w

Jets - l

Finish with 106 points

Edm

Vegas - l

Az - w

Van - w

Sj -w

Cgy - w

Col - l

Finish with 107.......and I doubt they lose to Vegas 

After yesterday's big win, I think it's realistic the canucks go 2-1-1 to finish out the season with 109 pts. 

Oils would then need 110 pts. 

Thats 11 pts in 6 games as they currently sit at 99 pts

I hope vegas is pissed about the loss and takes it out on the oilers next game. 

That would cripple their chance greatly. 

Even if canucks go 2-2, oils would need to go 5-1...

Doable but again, odds are against it. 

I've always said anything is possible but that it will be highly improbable. 

Let's hope canucks take care of their own business and finish the season 3-1 or even 4-0  while beating the oilers.  That would be quite the statement heading into the playoffs

Something tells me they are playing possum. 

The Pk couldn't suck that badly could it? They stepped up and looked better in the 2nd half

28 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

After yesterday's big win, I think it's realistic the canucks go 2-1-1 to finish out the season with 109 pts. 

Oils would then need 110 pts. 

Thats 11 pts in 6 games as they currently sit at 99 pts

I hope vegas is pissed about the loss and takes it out on the oilers next game. 

That would cripple their chance greatly. 

Even if canucks go 2-2, oils would need to go 5-1...

Doable but again, odds are against it. 

I've always said anything is possible but that it will be highly improbable. 

Let's hope canucks take care of their own business and finish the season 3-1 or even 4-0  while beating the oilers.  That would be quite the statement heading into the playoffs

Something tells me they are playing possum. 

The Pk couldn't suck that badly could it? They stepped up and looked better in the 2nd half

Such a huge win.......gor the standings, but more for their confidence.  Also to change the narrative as well 

• Cheers 1

On 4/7/2024 at 5:48 PM, Gawdzukes said:

lol, weren't you the guy proclaiming we had the division wrapped up?

😂

You don't really get the league and math do you?

On 4/7/2024 at 9:13 PM, CanucksJay said:

The math? 

They need to make up 4 pts in 6 games... 

The math is pretty simple

On 4/7/2024 at 10:25 PM, CanucksJay said:

Luckily we don't seem to have trouble beating Edmonton 🤣

Well this aged nicely... 

I'm Joking btw. 

Canucks need to at least put up a point against the Flames. 

Oils can easily beat sharks and the Coyotes and they are capable of beating Avs. 

Canucks can't choke... 

If they lose against the Flames, there'll be so much pressure in the final game against the Jets if the Oilers win their next 2 games. 

Edited by CanucksJay

17 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Well this aged nicely... 

I'm Joking btw. 

Canucks need to at least put up a point against the Flames. 

Oils can easily beat sharks and the Coyotes and they are capable of beating Avs. 

Canucks can't choke... 

If they lose against the Flames, there'll be so much pressure in the final game against the Jets if the Oilers win their next 2 games. 

44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

• Haha 1