[PGT] Nucks @ kangz

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

So we don't like DeSmith now ? 😅

Silovs is a pending RFA, and is cost controlled. It's been a small sample size, but he looked more poised, and a lot sharper. Since the Canucks need every low cost option they can get for the time being. It makes sense. It's not about 'liking'. But this stretch has shown that DeSmith struggles if he has to step in as a starter. It's also going to depend a lot on what his asking price is this offseason.

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Luckily we don't seem to have trouble beating Edmonton 🤣

You can't say that based on the start of the year........both are different teams now

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Id like to say sure, but I don't think so.  I think it's going to be #2 van against #3 LA

Oh man i hope not. 

If they lose to the oilers in their remaining game along with the division, that's be worthy of a Naslund level choke job comment 

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

You can't say that based on the start of the year........both are different teams now

Edmonton is still sub par when they play top 10 teams. 

Wow. Lotta' emotion in here. The doom 'n' groomers are out after the loss last night. Winning against our western division contending rivals has seemingly been a hard road to hoe. And against the lesser teams we seemingly are just good enough. I get it.

Our record since ASW has been well, not horrible, but certainly not as stellar pre ASW. What could be the matter?

-  Could it be the trade for Lindy f*cked with the chemistry somewhat?

-  ASW combined with an immediate road trip afterwards conspired towards fatigue and visual signs of such in the faces and body language of the players?

-  In keeping with the post ASW factor; fatigue playing a role in Demmer's injury as a result of overplaying him in February?

-  Unavoidable injuries, mystery or otherwise, causing incompatibility within lines and d-pairings?

-  Putting Bains, PDG, Aman in and out which further puts chaos, if you will, on line chemistry and such?

-  DeSmith actually sucking?

-  Silovs not getting enough chances?........................

....................I dunno. Who does. Definitely not I. Likely it's a combination of all these things.

From many of the posts in here regarding goaltending; seemingly it's coming off like last season's scenario of Spencer Martin/Colin Delia when Demmer got injured.

Needless to say, our season last year to this year post ASW respectively, are like night and day; in the playoff hunt this season, in the Bedard hunt last season. However the circumstance surrounding both these scenarios remains coincidentally and eerily similar to last years February Demko injury. In the end as we all know, Martin/Delia couldn't get the job done. Demmer was missed. And now we have goalie controversy anew. DeSmith out, Silovs in. It's not just the goaltending that is seemingly stuttering.

There's a few glowing lights still shining for us; Huggy, JTM, Garly, Daks, Hogz. But it seems the team as a whole is struggling. Having no Soucy and Daks earlier on affected us. Now no Demmer and Lindy affects us. Would a full, healthy roster have made a difference in the month of March till now?!?!?!??!?? Well.....No one can truly know that, but it's likely that it could very well have.

Down the stretch here for us, we are witness to our Canucks seemingly struggling to keep things afloat. We're playing well enough to beat the lesser teams, and we're doing the same against contending teams, but we're not winning those games. I mean, we like outshot L.A. last night by about a dozen and a half shots or so. With our powerhouse offence, we shoulda' got more goals. I get it. Talbot was awesome last night. 

Yeah. Okay. We need to work on a few things still. As mentioned before by me and others in CFF. It's fortunate we're afforded the luxury, by virtue of clinching a playoff berth, to work out some bugs. In so much as we'd like these 'bug workouts' to have translated into more wins. well......they haven't.....Aroooooo........

I await the challenge of our 1st playoff opponent. Bring 'em on!

Go Canucks Go!!!!!:towel:

Edited by Sativika

32 minutes ago, Heretic said:

In 4 games against the Kings, they outscored us 15-8.
We won 1, 2-1 in OT.

Yes, DeSmith was the last 2 losses, but we lost the 1st game 5-1 with Demko in the net.

image.png.fb0728a4f41dbec13e8917c56dc8baa7.png

the timing is more important -- all 4 have come during the canucks' swoon. 

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Oh man i hope not. 

If they lose to the oilers in their remaining game along with the division, that's be worthy of a Naslund level choke job comment 

Van

Vegas - L

Az - w

Edm - L

Cgy - w

Jets - l

Finish with 106 points

Edm

Vegas - l

Az - w

Van - w

Sj -w

Cgy - w

Col - l

Finish with 107.......and I doubt they lose to Vegas 

Now that I've slept on it.... It has to be Silovs in the next game or two (I'm sure tocchet agrees). Desmith has been good all year but he has struggled in the role of starter. Silovs has looked sharp in his game this year and his multiple games last year. Soucy didn't have a great game but he has played well for most of the year when healthy, if it is an injury then Juulsen should go in for him.

I know we all have Canucks bias but holy that reffing was something else to start the game. I don't know what else to say. The blueger penalty to start the game I kind of understand, even though that play happens all the time - kind of like follow throughs don't get called high sticks. The Joshua roughing penalty shortly after was atrocious, either neither player or both of them had to go, not just one. After the ref ignores Myers getting his stick held, the Kings score their 2nd on 2 PPs. The Canucks played well to answer but it's hard to win starting the game down by 2. It seemed for the rest of the first 2 periods the refs ignored a lot of very similar plays that the Kings made on the Canucks.

I'm not blaming the refs entirely because i hate doing it and the Canucks have to find a way around it. But i really hope the Canucks are submitting tapes through back channels to the league. It's a different game without those 2 soft penalties, even just without the Joshua penalty. The Canucks come back from 1-0 imo.

Just now, stawns said:

Don't think I count vsm as a top 10 team anymore

lol why am I not surprised… 

Van needs Demko to compete with the top dogs consistently - there’s nothing wrong with that.  He’s one of the teams core players.  

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, tas said:

the timing is more important -- all 4 have come during the canucks' swoon. 

That's my concern - they don't look playoff ready and only a few games left...

1 minute ago, Darius said:

lol why am I not surprised… 

Van needs Demko to compete with the top dogs consistently - there’s nothing wrong with that.  He’s one of the teams core players.  

No argument here, but this was happening before demko went down

• Vintage 1

If this year has taught us anything it's that teams run hot and cold and it's nearly impossible to predict the outcome. People glom on to current streaks (both hot and cold) in the here and now but that doesn't mean a few weeks from now it'll be the status quo.

We're currently running a little cold...doesn't mean they'll just continue a downward spiral. 

Edmonton's a great example of how teams can fight back. Our team's done it in the past when they were still clawing in desperation at the slimmest hope of sneaking in to the playoffs.

There's reason for concern, sure. But there's NO reason this team can't regroup to find it's stride again. If they don't, fine...people'll have their gotcha moment while the rest of us won't be quite as happy. If they do, I imagine some here will disappear (again).

It ain't over till it's over. And it hasn't even started yet. Teams that look great can hit a skid. Injuries also are huge, as is goaltending. Right now, we're missing our goaltender and that matters (and, to some degree, our superstar who's in a bit of a funk).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Tortorella would have said “our goaltending sucked” 😂

Hes right though we did generate enough chances. I couldn’t even count the number of times we shot right at the goaltender without a screen. Talbot had a very easy night.

I also don't like how the system is being played in the offensive zone.

Its either generate offense from cycling down low to high for the defensemen to take a shot and crash the net or to shoot from the perimeter. Just counting way too much on the dman to get the shots through (which often don't or miss) and its a one and done. Need to get more bodies to the net and more offensive generation of bringing the puck to the net. Simply meaning, our forwards need to bring the puck to the net more to create that havoc and not depend on the dman to always get shots on net.

All night long our forwards deferred a shot off to the dman and skated slowly around the middle instead of going right to screen the goalie. 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

No argument here, but this was happening before demko went down

I’m not sure they struggle like this with demko in net. The top 6 can’t outscore the problem of having a sub 900 goalie in net right now 

I’m sure there are people thinking the loss of Demko can’t be used as an excuse. I think it’s between Demko and Hughes when it comes to MVP. Take out any MVP from any team and they will most likely downgrade their record vs other elite teams. I mean do we dare think about the oilers without Drai or McDavid,LA without doughty..  why is it any different if it’s a goalie?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

I’m not sure they struggle like this with demko in net. The top 6 can’t outscore the problem of having a sub 900 goalie in net right now 

I’m sure there are people thinking the loss of Demko can’t be used as an excuse. I think it’s between Demko and Hughes when it comes to MVP. Take out any MVP from any team and they will most likely downgrade their record vs other elite teams. I mean do we dare think about the oilers without Drai or McDavid,LA without doughty..  why is it any different if it’s a goalie?

And Petey not being in the conversation much too....but he could get hot and then it's a different look. We count on him for goals and right now he's not producing as we need him to.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Integra250 said:

Who cares if we get Vegas, Kings, or Preds in the first round. A true contender will find ways to beat any team in a best of 7 series, and I truly believe this team is capable of doing so with a healthy Demko.

Agree 

this team isn’t bad but it’s been a combination of bad reads on pk, 5v5 and not having Demko 

petey clearly cannot shoot with whatever wrist injury he has 

he had two amazing looks last night for shots and instead forced a pass …

Soucy and Zads made sone bad reads cole looks tired and slower compared to beginning of season 

our prize acquisition Lindy is hurt …

so this is what JR meant when he said in September that a lot /everything had to go write for us to be a playoff team …

oct - Jan 

everything went right 

but now a lot is going poorly and we are a .500 team…

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

If this year has taught us anything it's that teams run hot and cold and it's nearly impossible to predict the outcome. People glom on to current streaks (both hot and cold) in the here and now but that doesn't mean a few weeks from now it'll be the status quo.

We're currently running a little cold...doesn't mean they'll just continue a downward spiral. 

Edmonton's a great example of how teams can fight back. Our team's done it in the past when they were still clawing in desperation at the slimmest hope of sneaking in to the playoffs.

There's reason for concern, sure. But there's NO reason this team can't regroup to find it's stride again. If they don't, fine...people'll have their gotcha moment while the rest of us won't be quite as happy. If they do, I imagine some here will disappear (again).

It ain't over till it's over. And it hasn't even started yet. Teams that look great can hit a skid. Injuries also are huge, as is goaltending. Right now, we're missing our goaltender and that matters (and, to some degree, our superstar who's in a bit of a funk).

You're 100% correct Deb.

I think what we have here are 2 types of fans. One type(like you) remain positive in the face of adversity and believe things will work out. World needs more of those!

Other types(like me I admit it) also want to believe, and want to be positive but approach things from a "I'll believe it when I see it."

At the end of the day we all cheer just as hard when they win!

These are tough times for the team and the fans. Everyone just wants the playoffs to start so we can stop bickering and get back to just cheering wins.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

I should have invested more in  hopium/copium stocks; I see a whole lot of it being used here.

"It will be better when Demko gets back"    

"It will get better when Lindholm is back"

are both statements assuming those guys are coming back. 

Personally I find trusting Canuck medical info to be a very dubious thing to do.

It has been months since this team was playing it's best hockey.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 2