Discussion: Juice Lets out preferring TB over Boston!

Sativika

https://canucksarmy.com/news/statsies-canucks-chances-count-against-kings

As most of us know, we had an exceptionally great run in the season of 2010-2011; missing the big prize in the 7th and deciding game. As was in '94; loss in the 7th and deciding game. But that's another discussion. 

I know it's just reminiscing and such; probably erring towards entertainment value, but Bieksa's bringing that up to the panel in HNIC was surprising to me. It makes one think, what if?

I mean, we'll never know and neither will Juice, but it's an interesting topic of note.

Back in the 2011 playoffs, I don't recall giving any thought to whether or not we were better matched to either of TB or Boston. I only wanted to get 'er goin' with whoever we ended up playing against. H*ll. Right now, I can't even remember who played for Tampa back then; who coached or even who was in goal. But I sure remember the big, bad Bruins!

Interestingly, in the Canucks Army thingy above, they mention, " To this day, the 2011 Canucks are the most recent Canadian team to come within one game of the Stanley Cup. " Coincidently, it's interesting to also note that before that, the 1994 Canucks held that distinction for a few years as well. I think the Oilers and Flames were there somewhere between then and 2011. 

• Like 1

Most fans at the time preferred Tampa from what I recall, we got screwed by the league refusing to call anything during the Tampa vs Boston game seven, Tampa's powerplay was hot. Not a single penalty, they'd scored three powerplay goals in game six.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I don't think I had a preference, I was a little too hyped up on the fact we even made it. But I can see why anyone would have preferred Tampa. Play a similar style. That Bruins team F'd up the org so bad Gillis traded Hodgson for Kassian to try add toughness. Which on paper was kind of genius. Kassian just had personal struggles that likely derailed his potential.

33 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I don't think I had a preference, I was a little too hyped up on the fact we even made it. But I can see why anyone would have preferred Tampa. Play a similar style. That Bruins team F'd up the org so bad Gillis traded Hodgson for Kassian to try add toughness. Which on paper was kind of genius. Kassian just had personal struggles that likely derailed his potential.

Absolutely nothing genius about it. It was a wildly hated trade by canucks fans here based on their pedigree. We actively made our team worse the last year we had a genuine shot at the cup.

• Vintage 2

I bet almost no one remembers this. In 2011 Tampa vs the Bruins Eastern Conference Final went 7 games. At the end of game 6 (which Tampa won 5-4) Nathan Horton of the Bruins had an interaction with a fan where he squirted the fan with water and threw his water bottle at him.

Given what happened earlier in the year between the Canucks' Rick Rypien and a fan in Minnesota which admittedly was much worse. The league announced a zero tolerance policy for these kinds of negative fan interactions.

However the NHL being the NHL decided there would be no discipline for Nathan Horton. ...........

Report: No Discipline For Bruins Horton, Tampa Bay

BOSTON (CBS) – It appears Nathan Horton squirting a fan and Tampa Bay fans throwing noisemakers on the ice after Game 6 is a wash.

The St. Petersburg Times reported via Twitter that NHL's deputy commissioner Bill Daly said there will be no punishment for either Horton or the Tampa Bay Lightning for their end of game shenanigans after Game 6 Wednesday night.

After the Bruins 5-4 Game 6 loss, Horton was seen spraying a Tampa Bay fan with a water bottle, and then tossing the bottle at him. Nothing else happened after, with security stepping in to hold back the fan and Horton retiring to the B's locker room.

The Bruins won game 7  1-0 on a 3rd period goal by Nathan Horton and our beloved Canucks' fate was sealed. 😭

bruins.jpg.314d03e41679ff546dc4ebd39a3437d8.jpg

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I bet almost no one remembers this. In 2011 Tampa vs the Bruins Eastern Conference Final went 7 games. At the end of game 6 (which Tampa won 5-4) Nathan Horton of the Bruins had an interaction with a fan where he squirted the fan with water and threw his water bottle at him.

Given what happened earlier in the year between the Canucks' Rick Rypien and a fan in Minnesota which admittedly was much worse. The league announced a zero tolerance policy for these kinds of negative fan interactions.

However the NHL being the NHL decided there would be no discipline for Nathan Horton. ...........

Report: No Discipline For Bruins Horton, Tampa Bay

BOSTON (CBS) – It appears Nathan Horton squirting a fan and Tampa Bay fans throwing noisemakers on the ice after Game 6 is a wash.

The St. Petersburg Times reported via Twitter that NHL's deputy commissioner Bill Daly said there will be no punishment for either Horton or the Tampa Bay Lightning for their end of game shenanigans after Game 6 Wednesday night.

After the Bruins 5-4 Game 6 loss, Horton was seen spraying a Tampa Bay fan with a water bottle, and then tossing the bottle at him. Nothing else happened after, with security stepping in to hold back the fan and Horton retiring to the B's locker room.

The Bruins won game 7  1-0 on a 3rd period goal by Nathan Horton and our beloved Canucks' fate was sealed. 😭

it's not surprising

weren't some emails leaked that basically proved the nhl was giving favourable treatment to the bruins?

1 hour ago, 112 said:

it's not surprising

weren't some emails leaked that basically proved the nhl was giving favourable treatment to the bruins?

That was Colin Campbell about Bruins penalties (and his son specifically) to the  head of NHL officiating earlier in that year, obviously he never stopped being an over-bearing Hockey dad even into the playoffs, (even when his son was an adult)

He was a piece of work with no integrity

Edited by Ballisticsports

I remembered wanting TB cuz Canucks would match well with them.  But knew the fix was in when in Game 7, there was ZERO powerplays for TB.  And TB had the hottest PP in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Most fans at the time preferred Tampa from what I recall, we got screwed by the league refusing to call anything during the Tampa vs Boston game seven, Tampa's powerplay was hot. Not a single penalty, they'd scored three powerplay goals in game six.

Clear fix from the league with Colin Campbell's kid playing for Boston. Oh lets not forget the week (im pretty sure it was more) of rest the league gifted Boston after playing Tampa. Had the finals started 2 days after Game 7, we'd probably have a cup banner in Rogers. That week break basically negated the advantages of us finishing the Sharks off in 5 and gave the Bruins much much needed rest after they went the distance with the Lightning. Im sorry, a beat up Bruins team is not beating a fresh 2011 Canuck team

• Vintage 2

The officiating in that 2011 SC final was ass. Boston got away with so much questionable sh*t. I mean, it's ancient history now. But officiating in the modern NHL has always seemingly favoured the American based teams when Canadian teams are the opponent.

I point the finger at Bettman! Dude's so illusional of American team franchise success; seemingly biased towards such, just to make him look good and whatever else. It's a no brainer that NHL hockey in Canada is wildly popular. I'm guessing he figures keeping the cup south of the border will boost the numbers and it has. It's my belief that the Gretzky trade to LA in '88 was the real catalyst that sparked hockey's interest in the U.S. I dunno. I digress.

Bettman's been around too freakin' long. Time for a change. A Canadian perhaps. 

I would have preferred it if we played Tampa. We probably would have won, and I would have ordered 2 replica cup rings, 1 for the case 1 for day to day wear. But it is what it is. 

14 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I would have preferred it if we played Tampa. We probably would have won, and I would have ordered 2 replica cup rings, 1 for the case 1 for day to day wear. But it is what it is. 

We also win in the Finals if we get the 2010 (Flyers with no goalie) or 2012 (relatively weak Devils) opponents instead.

You need luck to win a Cup, and part of that luck is who you end up playing in the Finals.

9 hours ago, BPA said:

I remembered wanting TB cuz Canucks would match well with them.  But knew the fix was in when in Game 7, there was ZERO powerplays for TB.  And TB had the hottest PP in the playoffs.

I remember thinking Montreal got jobbed against Boston as well watching that series unfold

Edited by Ballisticsports

On 4/7/2024 at 5:38 PM, Sativika said:

https://canucksarmy.com/news/statsies-canucks-chances-count-against-kings

As most of us know, we had an exceptionally great run in the season of 2010-2011; missing the big prize in the 7th and deciding game. As was in '94; loss in the 7th and deciding game. But that's another discussion. 

I know it's just reminiscing and such; probably erring towards entertainment value, but Bieksa's bringing that up to the panel in HNIC was surprising to me. It makes one think, what if?

I mean, we'll never know and neither will Juice, but it's an interesting topic of note.

Back in the 2011 playoffs, I don't recall giving any thought to whether or not we were better matched to either of TB or Boston. I only wanted to get 'er goin' with whoever we ended up playing against. H*ll. Right now, I can't even remember who played for Tampa back then; who coached or even who was in goal. But I sure remember the big, bad Bruins!

Interestingly, in the Canucks Army thingy above, they mention, " To this day, the 2011 Canucks are the most recent Canadian team to come within one game of the Stanley Cup. " Coincidently, it's interesting to also note that before that, the 1994 Canucks held that distinction for a few years as well. I think the Oilers and Flames were there somewhere between then and 2011. 

Both my brother and me think we were better suited to play TB.  Who was an offensive beast then.   If you weren't paying attention, that's your bad, sure was.  Watched every TB/Boson game.   Most fans back then were relieved we played Boston at the start of the series; ok as in TB was the favourite....   Not me.  Not my brother either.  I watched Thomas stone TB over and over and over again.   And really, they also did a better job than we did by a long shot.  That was actually a better final than we managed.  

Luongo laid some eggs he also was the only reason why we made it to game 7.   11 goals was it!   Nuts.   How do you make it to game 7 scoring so few goals.  

Bieksa is/was right.   Boston wasn't who I was rooting for in the conference final, it was obvious we were way better suited playing TB. 

Edited by IBatch

Between corruption and conflict of interest of Colin/Gregory Campbell and Tim Thomas using illegal size pads, the 2011 Stanley Cup champion is the most undeserved in history.