[GDT] Vegas @ Vancouver - Monday, April 8th - 7pt/10et - SNP, 650 - Rogers Arena - Vancouver, B.C.

Many months ago JR said that everything would have to go “right” for the team to be a playoff team. 

Well…everything didn’t go exactly right and we still made it to the dance. Leading our division, any injuries it appears will be resolved in time for post season and home ice advantage is in reach and in our control. 

Not too bad considering last years results. 

Please come out firing on all cylinders and pushing the redline tonight. It’s been too long since we’ve seen a solid effort and results across the entire team.

On a side note…

AM 650 said Stone was seen enjoying a round of golf the other day.  How hurt can he be if he’s playing golf?

• Cheers 3

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Closest we ever came. Thanks Mike. 

Hope he is having a good life.

So.

Losing by a goal in game 7 in 1994 is not as close to winning the cup as getting thrashed 4-0 in game seven....

Ok then.....

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Many months ago JR said that everything would have to go “right” for the team to be a playoff team. 

Well…everything didn’t go exactly right and we still made it to the dance. Leading our division, any injuries it appears will be resolved in time for post season and home ice advantage is in reach and in our control. 

Please come out firing on all cylinders and pushing the redline tonight. It’s been too long since we’ve seen a solid effort and results across the entire team.

On a side note…

AM 650 said Stone was seen enjoying a round of golf the other day.  How hurt can he be if he’s playing golf?

Spleen gonna spleen.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

On a side note…

I will say, the biggest hurdle was gonna be health. Miller, Huggy, Boeser, Hronek, and Petey all played most if not all the games so far. Demko going down has obviously shown just how right that statement was tbh. If we lose Demko a month earlier. We're limping into the playoffs, we are pretty much still limping into the playoffs unless we win tonight. Can't lose every game against playoff teams going into the playoffs.

Our blueline only really lost Soucy for lengthy amount of time, and I remember how poorly we looked with just him gone. We lost Myers, but somehow looked better. Go figure. This team isn't really built to survive injuries. Which is exactly what he meant by "everything has to go right." Our stars had to be great, they have been. And they had to be healthy. Again, they have been. Although, even just losing Joshua had us up and down for a bit. We got lucky this year that our best players didn't miss time. But that is why we made the dance. I just hope it continues. Knock on wood.

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It has been, I haven't agreed with all of their moves but by and large it's been more encouraging. And you're probably right, it's been early going but we're trending away from that now. 

That's definitely worth considering. What Benning accomplished, and what he failed to accomplish, is underscored by the fact that we were largely bottom feeders or mediocre under his watch. We've begun to (hopefully) emerge under JR and Allvin, although I wouldn't be surprised to see some regression next season. They've walked into a different dynamic than Benning did and that will likely affect how they manage resources. 

Thing is, competitive window or not, they do need to balance trying to keep the NHL roster competitive with building the future. What's gone on in Abbotsford, and their picks thus far, are encouraging, but we need more. 

Miller will be 32 before next season is up, Pettersson will be 26, Boeser will be 28, Demko will be 29, Hughes will be 25. Much of the rest of the roster is later 20's, with guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin (largely AHL this season), and Aman being the exceptions. Willander is probably a little ways out, give it a season or two, that's probably true of Lekkerimaki as well but you never. 

But two years will fly by before you know it, and our core will all be closer to 30, 30, or just past it. That's not cause for panic when considered on it's own, but it suddenly doesn't look so good if you don't have blue chippers stewing, and if you aren't drafting in the first two rounds.

I understand the pressure of being competitive now, and viewing the short-term as a window, but unless we want to slide back into mediocrity management also needs to prioritize the future and utilize more of their picks to select players going forward. Our prospect pool is better than it was, but it's probably still in the bottom half of the league and it's propped up by Raty, Pettersson, Willander, and Lekkerimaki. 

It's why I've repeatedly emphasized the importance of drafting and developing, and of balancing bolstering the prospect pool while trying to build rosters that can be playoff teams. One can sign uni players and look for players overseas, one can even trade for players (though teams typically don't give up their stud young players), but drafting and developing your own players still remains the best way to acquire top tier talent. 

Good points all around. Don't disagree at all. 

We are trending away from that, you're right, and I do get why and the temptation to go all in now with this core. Especially if the mandate is winning a Cup at all costs during their tenure. .

But JR and Allvin are smart and not oblivious to any of this. I'm actually impressed who we do have coming in the short term as the first wave - Willander, Lekk, DPetey. Right now I'm more confident that they won't forsake the blue-chippers and the 2nds completely down the line.

These guys actually know what they're doing and even Allvin said they're constantly going over scenarios, needs and projections. I'm much more confident in the future picks than the Benning era.

You're right in that we do need more. I'm just saying it's going to be tougher given our competitive window. They've got their work cut out for them. The hard work continues.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I will say, the biggest hurdle was gonna be health. Miller, Huggy, Boeser, Hronek, and Petey all played most if not all the games so far. Demko going down has obviously shown just how right that statement was tbh. If we lose Demko a month earlier. We're limping into the playoffs, we are pretty much still limping into the playoffs unless we win tonight. Can't lose every game against playoff teams going into the playoffs.

Our blueline only really lost Soucy for lengthy amount of time, and I remember how poorly we looked with just him gone. We lost Myers, but somehow looked better. Go figure. This team isn't really built to survive injuries. Which is exactly what he meant by "everything has to go right." Our stars had to be great, they have been. And they had to be healthy. Again, they have been. Although, even just losing Joshua had us up and down for a bit. We got lucky this year that our best players didn't miss time. But that is why we made the dance. I just hope it continues. Knock on wood.

Yup, despite some adversity we’re right there in the mix for late spring hockey. Nothing better than a shortened off season. 

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

When I filled out my "predict the score", I had the Knights winning. Now I don't thing so at all! Look at how frightened they look at skate out.🙀

Adolescent Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters for the win.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I wasn't lumping you in with the naysayers or saying that you were being negative. Stop being so sensitive. I wanted to point out that you were treading into the territory where you were saying the same things. It's important to make the separation from when we were declining and bottom feeding. Otherwise it just sounds like the same arguments no matter what happens so it's always lose-lose.

I've long said on here that people need to be able to recognize when we're closer and things are going well. There's a difference this year in that we're a different team with better depth and have been atop the league.

Like I just said to Coconuts, Allvin and management have only been at this for just over two years. I'd look at this as Phase 1. Their decision-making has been better and the improvements and alignment has been impressive.

Me personally, I'd like to see them retain all of those 2nds but I honestly believe they're going for it with this core for the duration of Petey and Hughes as the window. It's going to be tough to stockpile and retain while competing and drafting higher. Their decision-making will be put to the test. I hope they figure it out and don't leave us depleted and bare for the next core.

It'll be tough with the cap but I'm confident they'll get through it more positively and effectively given the limitations.

Lol. I wasn't being so sensitive. I was going to say please don't lump me in with them because I didn't want to get the wet blanket treatment. I was just responding to someone else's post on the topic and I like discussing hockey, especially Canuck hockey. I will try my best to refrain from posting stuff like this in the future.

Anyways....

Go Canucks Go. Let's beat these chumps!

32 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Ah, we got both Silovs and Talapilo that is good enough in goal.

Räty and Sasson just waiting for a chance as C.

Bains, Karlsson, Läkkerimäki and others can jump in…

Wolanin says hi. He played a lot of games last year when we were good. 
So we have replacements… Just let them confyse is the whole idea. 

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Lol. I wasn't being so sensitive. I was going to say please don't lump me in with them because I didn't want to get the wet blanket treatment. I was just responding to someone else's post on the topic and I like discussing hockey, especially Canuck hockey. I will try my best to refrain from posting stuff like this in the future.

Anyways....

Go Canucks Go. Let's beat these chumps!

Don't abandon "team wet blanket" now........our snacks are way better 

Remember what Billy Joel says, it's better to laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

• Cheers 1