[GDT] Vegas @ Vancouver - Monday, April 8th - 7pt/10et - SNP, 650 - Rogers Arena - Vancouver, B.C.

6 minutes ago, Devron said:

Hertl playing tonight. You knew he would 

First game back from knee surgery, he probably won't be up to 100% game speed, but he will still be a factor. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Dom said:

First game back from knee surgery, he probably won't be up to 100% game speed, but he will still be a factor. 

Can’t wait to see him flying thru the neutral zone with his jet packs on, he was a good pick up for them. 

I just saw this Tocchet might go 11/7 for help on the pk and also his wide body. 

Where's the beef!

I was imagining me and Tocchet drinking in my back yard arguing about Juul's and 11/7 and we got into a big scrap.  Until our old ladies had to come out and break it up. I had a bloody nose and ripped shirt and Tocchet had a harsh glare but then we cheered it out.

BRING IT BOYS!!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vollmilch90 said:

I don't disagree with that, actually it underlines what I am saying. This roster is not deep enough. Canucks are 2 top 6 forwards short.

I would prefer to go back to the original 3rd line. I also like Boeser more with Miller. 

Maybe 

21 9 6

40 23 92

81 53 8

65 24 18

It still may take a while before the Canucks reach depth like Dallas. 

This season was fun and I am very excited to see playoff hockey. But I am a little surprised that the Canucks were able to stay right at the top of the conference. The top 6 feels stitched together with players that should not be there, and Pettersson who's having not half the impact that Garland has on the team at the moment. The bottom 6 is small and somewhat soft. And on defense another top 4 defenseman is needed. 

The Canucks will never reach the level of depth Dallas has if they don't stop going for it every season and throwing all of their draft picks away. We definitely will be screwed for the next two years with the OEL cap hit and Mikheyev's waste of a contract. In addition to those we have no good picks left this year to mature when those two years end. Our only hope is Lekkerimaki and Willander turning into studs in short order. Otherwise we are probably 4-5 years away minimum from building that type of depth. We may never get there though.

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The Canucks will never reach the level of depth Dallas has if they don't stop going for it every season and throwing all of their draft picks away. We definitely will be screwed for the next two years with the OEL cap hit and Mikheyev's waste of a contract. In addition to those we have no good picks left this year to mature when those two years end. Our only hope is Lekkerimaki and Willander turning into studs in short order. Otherwise we are probably 4-5 years away minimum from building that type of depth. We may never get there though.

Dont forget Raty and D Pettersson.Silovs could save us some money too

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I guess that's the cost of a retool.  The window is shorter. I agree, with this roster, it was too early to trade away a first round pick. This is the first successful year after a dark decade. And the prospect pool is still one of the weakest in the league. If this core does not work out, it will be a dark decade again because there is nothing in the tank. 

Let's just be optimistic and say that Willander is the partner for Hughes we are looking for and that Lekkerimaki will be set up for 40 goals for many seasons by Pettersson. And that EPD will be a solid Tanev like #4 while Raty centers the 3rd line, and Podkolzin turns into a Miller Light while Bains comes through like Joshua. 

This franchise is blessed more than once with the Sedins. I am so glad that they are working with the young guys. Let's hope they will never take a job as a coach or GM where we have to see the moment they get fired somewhere in the future. 

Or has there ever been a GM that was in his position until he retired?

Edited by Vollmilch90

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Disagree. 

Lekkerimaki

Willander

Pettersson

Raty

McWard

Hirose

Karlsson

Bains

Mynio

Alriksson

There is depth in the organization. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

If I were Tocchet, I'd put that up on the motivation board - a BIG reason to get it done tonight!

💯 

I would absolutely be pointing that out.

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

Well said and I agree completely. If this team wants to be taken seriously (and I know they aren’t the ones dumping on DeSmith) these are the types of challenges they need to overcome. 

and in a way, already at 100+ points, they have.  Even if we had won the last few games due to Demko or goalie heroics I don’t think we should be any happier (though I’m sure we would be.)

Losing makes the task crystal clear:  clean up the special teams and find a way to generate a little more at 5 on 5.  We still have time to figure it out and some quality opponents to do it against. 

Great points Duke. If we can get our special teams going, hopefully get Petey going, and Lindholm plus Demko back, while winning enough games to win the division there really isn't anything lost here. Maybe home ice throughout the Western Conference playoffs but not a huge deal compared to winning a round or two with the home ice and favorable matchup first in the div. would give us. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm hoping for Willander and Dpetie to take spots with the next 2 years. And clearing Mik's contract somehow. 

Read good things about LD Kudryatsev too, smart hi hockey IQ.

My dark horse is 6'6" Arlikson who I believe signed in Abby recently. We need a big 4th liner.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dom said:

Disagree. 

Lekkerimaki

Willander

Pettersson

Raty

McWard

Hirose

Karlsson

Bains

Mynio

Alriksson

There is depth in the organization. 

That's still a weak list compared to teams that were much more competitive in the last decade than the Canucks. 

McWard and Hirose Al already 25 or 26 right? Not too much to expect there, although I hope I am wrong. I liked watching both for the little time we got. Karlsson I don't know, did not look like top 6 material. Bains is intriguing. But the lack of centers is very concerning 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Vollmilch90 said:

That's still a weak list compared to teams that were much more competitive in the last decade than the Canucks. 

McWard and Hirose Al already 25 or 26 right? Not too much to expect there, although I hope I am wrong. I liked watching both for the little time we got. Karlsson I don't know, did not look like top 6 material. Bains is intriguing. But the lack of centers is very concerning 

McWard is 22 - his first AHL season out of university. Hirose is 24, also his first season out of university. 

I forgot to mention Max Sasson (C) - 23, also his first year out of university and put up 41 pts.

Edited by Dom
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dom said:

McWard is 22 - his first AHL season out of university. Hirose is 24, also his first season out of university. 

My bad with McWard, although Hirose turns 25 tomorrow so close enough. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Disagree for the most part as Abbotsford Canucks have a better record than the Texas Stars right now.  Dallas has drafted well, but Benn, Duchesne, Pavelski and more on that team are all aging out.  Hintz is already 27.   

Abbotsford is running a pretty good young line up right now, they have players.   Canucks may have the next Hintz in Raty who's only 21. 

I'd love a conference final of Van vs. Dal because the Canucks would win that.  

I think Vancouver looks set to contend for the next 5 years right now.  The OEL buyout means we get to try out our young players and find quality.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CaribouCanuck said:

Could be but on the other hand they could be just looking past the Canucks as a team that they’ve typically done super well against and that has been struggling lately on top of that. 

Maybe, but I doubt it. The odds of them making it are slim but St. Louis ain't out of things yet, Vegas will want to clinch. 

2 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

If I were Tocchet, I'd put that up on the motivation board - a BIG reason to get it done tonight!

Nah, that is only a little bit.

The motivation board is to be before the Oilers so we get home advantage in the second round also.

To get home advantage in first round is only  a few wins… 

2 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Difficult times for Canucks and fans. Here we are with 5 games before the Playoffs, and we have a lot of issues that remain unresolved. We don't have any solid lines that are producing points ( post All star game ), our Special teams have declined and our PK especially is costing us games, we've lost our ability to be able to close out games after leads ( pre All star game ), and finally our Goalie situation remains uncertain.

IF we compare our team status to the teams we could face in playoffs, our lines and special teams aren't as solid.

Can we do well in the playoffs when we're playing 500 hockey, our Special teams are costing us games, and Pettersson still is a question mark in playoff hockey?

This team is in need of motivation and a bit of luck.

That will resolve in playoffs… The few games before is almost of none importance. Only the fans that tries to see important signals in every little bit where there are none.

Edited by LillStrimma