[GDT] Vegas @ Vancouver - Monday, April 8th - 7pt/10et - SNP, 650 - Rogers Arena - Vancouver, B.C.

38 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

w

The Canucks will never reach the level of depth Dallas has if they don't stop going for it every season and throwing all of their draft picks away. We definitely will be screwed for the next two years with the OEL cap hit and Mikheyev's waste of a contract. In addition to those we have no good picks left this year to mature when those two years end. Our only hope is Lekkerimaki and Willander turning into studs in short order. Otherwise we are probably 4-5 years away minimum from building that type of depth. We may never get there though.

I don't disagree that the team still needs work to improve. We know that much is true.

But you guys are saying that we're 2-6 players away and 4-5 years away (minimum) from building depth.

Just realize that these were the exact same talking points for the past 7-8 years - over and over and over again - when we were on the decline and bottom feeding.

We're not bottom feeders anymore. We're not rebuilding. Our window is just beginning. Our entire organization, including development, prospects and farm is better, improving and aligned.

My point is ... we can't always be 2-6 players away and always 4-5 years away no matter the situation, process, or improvements.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

The Canucks will never reach the level of depth Dallas has if they don't stop going for it every season and throwing all of their draft picks away. We definitely will be screwed for the next two years with the OEL cap hit and Mikheyev's waste of a contract. In addition to those we have no good picks left this year to mature when those two years end. Our only hope is Lekkerimaki and Willander turning into studs in short order. Otherwise we are probably 4-5 years away minimum from building that type of depth. We may never get there though.

I'm confused. On one hand you're calling out management for trading away futures, but on the other hand you're talking about how Willlander and Lekkerimaki are our only hope. 2 players highly sought after at this year's draft that our organization refused to trade in order to "go for it"

Sounds like you're just throwing stuff at the wall here.

Management made 2 solid moves this year to better the team. Zadorov was a great pick up, Lindholm was a very solid smart trade at the time. 

We were the class of the league and needed a 2C to solidify our top 6. It's not their fault Lindholm hasn't worked out.

They haven't mortgaged the future, they are bettering the team one step at a time. We've gone from far out of the playoffs to about to secure home ice for the first round.... management is doing awesome. Pace yourself.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Vollmilch90 said:

My bad with McWard, although Hirose turns 25 tomorrow so close enough. 

Karlsson will also be 25 in November, not sure I'd really consider him a prospect at this point. He's more of an NHL hopeful project, he's quickly approaching the age range where players largely are what they are. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Karlsson will also be 25 in November, not sure I'd really consider him a prospect at this point. He's more of an NHL hopeful project, he's quickly approaching the age range where players largely are what they are. 

He has improved under Colliton, not sure why he wouldn't be able to grab a spot next year - especially seeing as we need cheaper contracts. 

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

You can do it, JT. You deserve to be on hallowed ground ice.

It's crazy seeing what Nazzy and Bert did during the deadpuck era. I really wish Nazzy was born 5 years later. Seeing him in a more open era would have been a joy. Although him being born when he was, was a big reason I even became a Canucks fan. I think he could have broke 110-120 points in the modern NHL. Nazzy's stats look mid in retrospect, but people don't realize he played his entire prime in the deadpuck era. He is still imo one of the 5 most talented players we've ever had. But I digress, Miller is playing great hockey. Would love to see him hit 100.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Dom said:

He has improved under Colliton, not sure why he wouldn't be able to grab a spot next year - especially seeing as we need cheaper contracts. 

Maybe. Will he get a camp invite? Probably. But improvement or not, AHL hockey and NHL hockey are different beasts. 

You're not wrong about us needing cheaper contracts, but I'm less encouraged by our older prospects outside of Tolopilo. 

Abbotsford's been more impressive under this management group though, as has drafting, hopefully we see more of it going forward. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Am I the only one thinking that Tocchet is throwing Silovs to the wolves tonight?

He's looked pretty good and it seems like DeSmith got fatigued or something after the Demko injury. So, playing Silovs might be a good move.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Hippie Bath Day!!!!

We all chipped in and got you a May be an image of 1 person, playing hockey and text

This is not Silovs 🙂 Artur is wearing #31. This is either Martin or Domingue

• chaos 1

2 hours ago, Lemon Face said:

Dont forget Raty and D Pettersson.Silovs could save us some money too

Good point. Yeah, I like Raty and he's having a good year. D Petey and Silovs too, but they are still long shots. Hoping Silovs has a great game tonight.

2 hours ago, Vollmilch90 said:

I guess that's the cost of a retool.  The window is shorter. I agree, with this roster, it was too early to trade away a first round pick. This is the first successful year after a dark decade. And the prospect pool is still one of the weakest in the league. If this core does not work out, it will be a dark decade again because there is nothing in the tank. 

Let's just be optimistic and say that Willander is the partner for Hughes we are looking for and that Lekkerimaki will be set up for 40 goals for many seasons by Pettersson. And that EPD will be a solid Tanev like #4 while Raty centers the 3rd line, and Podkolzin turns into a Miller Light while Bains comes through like Joshua. 

This franchise is blessed more than once with the Sedins. I am so glad that they are working with the young guys. Let's hope they will never take a job as a coach or GM where we have to see the moment they get fired somewhere in the future. 

Or has there ever been a GM that was in his position until he retired?

Yeah, I always knew they would trade the first but I agree it's too early. It sucks more that Lindholm hasn't been a success yet and we probably can't re-sign him. I was alright with it though just in the sense that the team deserved it. Target could have been better perhaps.

I'm not down on the job management has done or prospects we have in any way and I love having the Sedin's and company working with them. I got this wrong last time but I think @Gurn or @Coconuts pointed out how many picks Dallas has kept and used compared to us. That's how they unearth gems every once in awhile.

David Poile (24 years) is one guy that comes to mind that had been with Nashville all the way and just retired last year and handed the reigns to Trotz. I would love it if they eventually took over!

2 hours ago, Dom said:

Disagree. 

Lekkerimaki

Willander

Pettersson

Raty

McWard

Hirose

Karlsson

Bains

Mynio

Alriksson

There is depth in the organization. 

Yeah I wouldn't say 'no depth'. That's not what I meant but not quality great depth like Dallas has. Outside of the two I mentioned the best for any of those players is tertiary depth. McWard, Hirose, Karlsson and Alriksson are super long shots that most likely never do anything. D-Petey, and Bains are possible bottom of the line-up guys, as is Raty, but those three are not likely scoring more than a handful of goals in a season. I like Mynio a heck of a lot (my Darkhorse favorite pick) but he's a rather long shot to play as well.

Nothing at all like Harley(15G), Lundkvist (2G, trade), Robertson(27G), Johnston (31G) , Stankhoven(24G/82), Oettinger(32W). And that's in addition to Heiskanen, Hintz, and throw in guys like Marchment (UFA), and Steel (UFA), who profile more like our players. 

That's 101 goals from young drafted players. Currently the crop you mentioned is at 0 and I would say 30-40 combined from our players is incredibly lofty, and that's likely only if Lekk can score 30 or more.

I should rephrase. We have depth unlike the last 15 years but it isn't anywhere near Dallas' depth.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Am I the only one thinking that Tocchet is throwing Silovs to the wolves tonight?

No baby, tonight is arty night. He's coming in hot. Sexy times for us.

sex appeal flirting GIF

Next week he'll cool off but then demko will be back.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

This is not Silovs 🙂 Artur is wearing #31. This is either Martin or Domingue

dangit, i stole this off my facebook feed...when did FB stop telling the truth????? lol

• Haha 1

It's Silovs' time tonight to shine and I hope he steps up and proves he belongs. 

The guy has succeeded at every level. His performances at the Worlds were incredible.

This is the opportunity he needs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

No baby, tonight is arty night. He's coming in hot. Sexy times for us.

sex appeal flirting GIF

Next week he'll cool off but then demko will be back.

I would totally........... not going to finish that thought.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Strawbone said:

The Canucks have given us such an amazing season so far, and I've had so many evenings of total joy as they just kept winning game after game, and even when they didn't win, they almost always looked very competitive. I feel like I owe them a little faith now that they can turn this thing around, so I'm going in to this game with nothing but positive vibes!

Happy Keep Your Head Up GIF by JCPenney

Boom! Post of the day!

Great post, Strawbone!

• Cheers 2