Flames' Nikita Zadorov speaks out against Russian invasion of Ukraine

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think it's quite so simple, particularly for those living in Russia 

Yep, Zadorov in the article brings up Fedotov and how he was sent to a remote military base for a year because he signed a deal with the Flyers and tried to leave. 

Edited by Diamonds
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Boudria said:

Simple process Alf. Russian players in NA should apply for refugee status. Failure to do so should revoke their visas and they should be sent back to Russia. Set a deadline of December 31st. End of conversation. Ukrainians are dying by the 10's of thousands. Conversely the other side is true. Any NA players playing for the KHL should be under threat of the same treatment. 

lol refugee status.. so who's going to protect them when russia assassinate them to make an example? even a 3rd world country like india managed to assassinate that sikh activist.. so who's going to stop russia and protect the "refugee"?.. if the role is reversed and canada goes invade some random country.. i doubt you'll leave behind everything and go claim refugee in another country especially when they restrict you from moving your money out. if you have no ties to russia yes you can speak whatever the hell you want.. if you have ties to russia? probably better to say nothing about it... or else they might end up forceably drafted into the military and sent to the front line next time they visit their family. 

For sure it takes some braveness by a Russian to speak out publicly against the Russian invasion. And it may mean that the player can for a long time or never go back to Russia without fear for life. On the other hand it is the ONLY sane thing they can do. They are in such a privileged position!! Come on, they are millionaires living in NA. Any player who doesn’t speak out against the war is a reckless self-entitled as..h..le. It is their duty to use their fame and call out this disaster. I have no respect for any player hiding and not raising their voice to spread the truth and try and convince people in Russia and elsewhere that Putin is a war criminal and this has to stop. ☮️ 

He did go on to say that he knows it means he can’t go back to his home country ever again while Putin is in power.

Panarin criticized the regime and got trumped up assault charges in Russia as a result.

Makes me even more sad that we didn’t sign Zadorov.  Seemed like the ideal player for a Hughes partner.  Huge, physical, defensively responsible, gets into trouble when trying to do too much.

Having his job be simplified to “get the puck to Hughes” on breakouts and transition seems like it would lean into his strengths and protect against his weaknesses.

I also don’t suspect it was pure coincidence that Kuzmenko didn’t go back to Russia and paid for a whole team of guys to come and train him in Bali.  Guys gotta be worried they get drafted and “at best” end up in Siberia.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Provost said:

He did go on to say that he knows it means he can’t go back to his home country ever again while Putin is in power.

Panarin criticized the regime and got trumped up assault charges in Russia as a result.

Makes me even more sad that we didn’t sign Zadorov.  Seemed like the ideal player for a Hughes partner.  Huge, physical, defensively responsible, gets into trouble when trying to do too much.

Having his job be simplified to “get the puck to Hughes” on breakouts and transition seems like it would lean into his strengths and protect against his weaknesses.

I also don’t suspect it was pure coincidence that Kuzmenko didn’t go back to Russia and paid for a whole team of guys to come and train him in Bali.  Guys gotta be worried they get drafted and “at best” end up in Siberia.

He is a pending UFA this summer...just saying...

Not Pesce (or a natural righty), but he'd be a decent stop gap until Willander is ready...Probably get him at something like $4x4...

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Canadian or Canadien. Both work for me. Great country. Great people. And one great hockey team … US! 

Don't forget about our awesome beer Alf 😎 . Ya definitely grateful to read about this garbage and not live it and we hands down own the sport of hockey.... God bless this country.

• Cheers 1