[PGT]Canucks vs Golden Knights - April 8th, 2024

MikeyD

29 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

That's right, I don't think he is correct.

For example, you can use a signing bonus and tax at 15%. You can then use an RCA to eliminate all taxes on the bonus and an RCA is only used in Canada.

When these two tax strategies are executes the differential between Florida and BC is minimal.

But I am not an expert in it so I only think that. I do know it's a commonly used strategy.

21 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Hold on, this is mind blowing new information for me.

When a Canadian team visits a US state to play a game, they need to pay a state tax, even if they are employed by a Canadian team? 

So every player on a canadian team would need to have a US work visa and file taxes in the states as well as in Canada? How the hell would that be tracked for every player moving from state to state on different dates.

This seems so complicated. 

Here's a good article on it. US state taxes are an insanely dumb thing.

I used to do international tax and US is complex (as are rca laws). 

Anyway less taxes, more hockey->

https://www.advisorperspectives.com/articles/2024/02/05/hidden-impact-state-taxes-nba-player-earnings#:~:text=To add complexity to the,where they play their games.

Edited by OldFaithfulcap

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Agree, I really like Silovs. He started the year off rough on the farm but has looked much better as the year has went on. Even after the soft goals he still looked calm and poised to make the next save. If your goalie stays calm so does the rest of the team. No one panics.

I worry about Desmith, once he gets shook up it just doesn’t stop with him. He loses all confidence, and so does our team. Not a good combo.

DeSmith had 14 games where he gave up 2 goals or less.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

There's an awesome podcast on it with Allan Walsh.

Check it out if you are interested. His tax guy says it's a non issue.

So Allan Walsh vs Brian Burke haha. Both extremely smart dudes.

Not interested. Currently doing my CPA and avoiding tax like the plague lol. At this stage, only know enough to get myself in trouble, so will shut up about it now.

So yeah…how about those Canucks? Heard they beat a pretty good team over there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Not interested. Currently doing my CPA and avoiding tax like the plague lol. At this stage, only know enough to get myself in trouble, so will shut up about it now.

So yeah…how about those Canucks? Heard they beat a pretty good team over there.

Good luck with the CPA!  

Go Canucks go!

5 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Dem needs games before the playoffs. He has to play once he has the green light to go.

This. I want Demmer to get 3 games in. Do not want to be starting an ice cold, albeit “well rested” goalie in playoffs. In Demko’s first 2 games back after injury, he has historically been rusty af. Do not want that to be first 2 playoff games

4 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I miss knowing what a penalty was.  Remember when you saw an obvious penalty and it didn't matter what the score was or if one team already had a couple power plays it didn't matter because you always knew what a penalty when it was obvious.  This play could have blown out Zadorov's knee.  Looks like an obvious 5 and a game.

And there was no second ref bumbling around getting in the way of play…sigh. I wish they’d go back to one ref system. Automatically doubles the talent pool, so maybe the officiating would improve to the point where we know what a penalty is again

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

I was too young to remember Orr, but absolutely remember Coffey.    Was my favourite Oiler.   Gretzky was the phenom but Coffey was every bit as extraordinary in his own way.   As for this little goofy records - let's wait awhile still shall we though. 

Oh man, I hated the Oilers, but idolized Coffey as a kid. I used to try to get my parents to buy me skates that were 2 sizes too small for hockey, as I heard or read somewhere that’s what Coffey wore as he thought it made him more agile, lol.

• Cheers 1

Looking more and more likely that Nashville ends up in that first wildcard.

With games left against the Hawks, BJs, and Pens and the tiebreaker over Vegas (who have a much tougher schedule than Kings) the Preds going 2-1 would mean the Knights could go 3-1-1 and still lose the tiebreaker.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

With games left against the Hawks, BJs, and Pens and the tiebreaker over Vegas (who have a much tougher schedule than Kings) the Preds going 2-1 would mean the Knights could go 3-1-1 and still lose the tiebreaker.

We can't face VGK in the 1st round. Gotta manage a couple of games, win, lose, draw as needed and face the Preds.  

VGK will take us out in the 1st round and it's going to be a long summer for us...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Robinfood said:

Crazy how a solid win sends the trolls scurrying under the bridge. It’s been real quiet since last night. 

Yeah they hate solid wins. Doesn’t flow with their narrative 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

We can't face VGK in the 1st round. Gotta manage a couple of games, win, lose, draw as needed and face the Preds.  

VGK will take us out in the 1st round and it's going to be a long summer for us...

They'll do better against Vegas than the kings, imo 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Probably the best case scenario, though I think they matchup well with Vegas.

6 hours ago, AngryGoose said:

Looking back on Brock’s 40 goal season so far, it’s pretty impressive that most of them have been greasy around the net style goals-not his snipe show reputation he had earlier in his career.  That’s the mark of a guy who has a nose for the net.  And of course his off puck play has really taken a step this year too.

I've been impressed with his board battles and once in a while he throws a hit. He's still young.  As he matures and gets stronger, and he will, I think we'll see a much more complete offensive guy. If he toughens up, watch out, he'll be even more elite.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

DeSmith had 14 games where he gave up 2 goals or less.

It's good he got a rest last game. Will be interesting if we continue with Silovs next or go back to DeSmith. Demko could be the weekend. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's good he got a rest last game. Will be interesting if we continue with Silovs next or go back to DeSmith. Demko could be the weekend. 

You go with the goalie that’s going to be the backup in the playoffs, which is going to be DeSmith.

Need a fully confident backup going into the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, J-23 said:

You go with the goalie that’s going to be the backup in the playoffs, which is going to be DeSmith.

Need a fully confident backup going into the playoffs.

DeSmith will be playing the Edmonton game if Demko doesn't and Demko the remaining games I'm sure. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar

6 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Likely no Demko tomorrow. 

But here's the big question. Do you out him in Saturday against the Oilers?

Depending on how tomorrow goes, Saturday might be an absolutely huge game for the Pacific standings.

Yes, I personally want Demmer in net on Saturday.  I always want the Nucks to slay the Oils, but being there for that game, even more so. Beating Edmonton for their last meeting of the season would be the biggest statement. 

28 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

No. I want to face Vegas in the 1st round.

The Canucks are a good team.