[PGT]Canucks vs Golden Knights - April 8th, 2024

MikeyD

So Nashville clinched tonight with 1 point in overtime. Only 2 spots left to be clinched with LA and Vegas the likely winner. Blues have an outside chance of catching Vegas but it would require they to win most of theirs and Vegas losing most of theirs. Both unlikely to happen. 
There is a good chance it will be a Canucks vs. Nashville matchup. Which is my most favourite match up of them all. We’ve played well against them albeit it was earlier in the year. But LA’s style of play and Vegas firepower would make a tough first round. 

25 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

We can't face VGK in the 1st round. Gotta manage a couple of games, win, lose, draw as needed and face the Preds.  

VGK will take us out in the 1st round and it's going to be a long summer for us...

The only team I am really scared of is the Kings. We just match up so poorly against them. With that said, the west is like 6-7 teams deep. The only matchup that looks somewhat palpable is Nashville. Colorado, Dallas, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vegas, and LA are all very hard outs. Nashville is the only team that I look at like they aren't THAT scary. But they went on one hell of a heater, so we'll see how they do come playoffs. The west is stacked this year. If you don't think we stand a chance against Vegas. Then you pretty much think we can't beat anyone outside of Nashville.

11 minutes ago, KFAN said:

I've been impressed with his board battles and once in a while he throws a hit. He's still young.  As he matures and gets stronger, and he will, I think we'll see a much more complete offensive guy. If he toughens up, watch out, he'll be even more elite.

Also, he was the first and only player that really went after the guy who hit Hughes from behind a couple games back.

Brock I'd also the longest tenured Canuck now, so gotta give him credit for that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Hold on, this is mind blowing new information for me.

When a Canadian team visits a US state to play a game, they need to pay a state tax, even if they are employed by a Canadian team? 

So every player on a canadian team would need to have a US work visa and file taxes in the states as well as in Canada? How the hell would that be tracked for every player moving from state to state on different dates.

This seems so complicated. 

For traveling pro athletes their income is earned where they play. So a Canuck pays BC income tax on the 41 home games each year. The team deducts and remits appropriate tax for each different location they play in. I don't know exactly how it is administed, but I would imagine the league provides them with the deduction rates for each city, rather than duplicating that function in the payroll department of 32 different clubs. So it's just who was on the 23 man roster at the time of the game in each city.

As for visas, that's a good question. I would imagine there is a policy governing it that Canada and the US have agreed on for the league (and all the other cross-border pro sports leagues). 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

The only team I am really scared of is the Kings. We just match up so poorly against them. With that said, the west is like 6-7 teams deep. The only matchup that looks somewhat palpable is Nashville. Colorado, Dallas, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Vegas, and LA are all very hard outs. Nashville is the only team that I look at like they aren't THAT scary. But they went on one hell of a heater, so we'll see how they do come playoffs. The west is stacked this year. If you don't think we stand a chance against Vegas. Then you pretty much think we can't beat anyone outside of Nashville.

We can beat any team when we are at our best.

I don’t really care who we go against in the 1st round, but if I had to choose I rather go against Vegas than Nashville. The team that’s playing it’s best hockey before the playoffs start is the last team you want to go against in the 1st round. But I don’t really care, if you want to win it all, you have to beat the best eventually. Just happy to be a good team in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, PeteyBoeser said:

Last year leafs fan shouted we want Florida and got destroyed.. let’s not say we want the Preds and lose,. 

We’re not saying we want the Preds we’re saying we don’t want the Kings. 😂

• Haha 1

Playoffs are a different breed and you can throw out regular season stats as the games are not the same.

I don't think we would do better or worse against anyone at this point.

We just need to start fast and hit lots to be successful.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

To me these types of posts are worse than reading negative opinions.

Things are going well, so you decide to try and get attention and create drama and negativity by calling out other fans that have a different point of view than you.

Better to just say nothing.

Ok take breath. Stop projecting. Just pointing out the facts. You have your opinion I have mine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KFAN said:

I've been impressed with his board battles and once in a while he throws a hit. He's still young.  As he matures and gets stronger, and he will, I think we'll see a much more complete offensive guy. If he toughens up, watch out, he'll be even more elite.

If he could be a consistent offensive & responsible player like Toffoli that would be a great accomplishment 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arsenalian said:

RCA just kicks the can down the road though, and only 50% of the can. Also not sure where you’re getting 15% from. Anyway, you are totally entitled to not believe him. So not sure why I’m arguing this, lol. 

BDO ...

The second technique -- a properly structured signing bonus built into an athlete’s employment contract -- can lower their effective tax rate from 50%+ down to a rate of approximately 15%.

here's the link to the full article :

https://www.bdo.global/en-gb/insights/tax/expatriate-tax/canada-compensation-planning-for-athletes-under-the-microscope

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Robinfood said:

Ok take breath. Stop projecting. Just pointing out the facts. You have your opinion I have mine. 

Not projecting. You also didn't give an opinion... you just passively aggressively tried to attack other posters simply to try and get attention and I called you out on it. 

Don't try and spin it any other way.

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's good he got a rest last game. Will be interesting if we continue with Silovs next or go back to DeSmith. Demko could be the weekend. 

Interesting Tocchet comment .....

Tocchet says he hasn't decided who will start in goal tomorrow but Silovs is a possibility. Also said they might carry 3 goalies in the playoffs.

Full article:

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl-team/vancouver-canucks/canucks-goaltending-strategy-heading-into-the-playoffs

Edited by Googlie
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, cripplereh said:

Playoffs are a different breed and you can throw out regular season stats as the games are not the same.

I don't think we would do better or worse against anyone at this point.

We just need to start fast and hit lots to be successful.

The parity on top of the west is pretty amazing. I don't know if there is any particularly "good" match up but I also think if the Canucks are firing on all cylinders they are capable of winning a 7 game series against any of the potential first round opponents.

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Tocchet says he hasn't decided who will start in goal tomorrow but Silovs is a possibility. Also said they might carry 3 goalies in the playoffs.

Full article:

https://www.canucksdaily.com/nhl-team/vancouver-canucks/canucks-goaltending-strategy-heading-into-the-playoffs

I was thinking about keeping Silovs around the other day.

Would be great experience for him and allow him to bond with the guys more for next season. Would also allow an extra goalie for practices if Demko needs a rest.

At this rate I’d feel better about having him as an insurance policy if Demko goes down. Plus Abby seems to be good with Tolopilo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Googlie said:

BDO ...

The second technique -- a properly structured signing bonus built into an athlete’s employment contract -- can lower their effective tax rate from 50%+ down to a rate of approximately 15%.

here's the link to the full article :

https://www.bdo.global/en-gb/insights/tax/expatriate-tax/canada-compensation-planning-for-athletes-under-the-microscope

Interesting thanks. So the RCA isn’t great, as it is just a deferral, as I said kicking it down the road, there’s no access to the funds in trust (until retirement), and tax on remaining 50% is due up front. The signing bonus treatment is unusual. I thought it was just employment income, but appears to be special treatment due to a reciprocal agreement. 

29 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Full article:

Nice! This was what I thought was happening. Tocc has more options ahead of Demko's return. May be good to rest DeSmith for one more and carry three. We'll see. 

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

DeSmith had 14 games where he gave up 2 goals or less.

I’m not saying he does this every game. 

He had a great start to the season but as it’s went along i’ve felt less and less sure about him.

I’m probably being too harsh on the guy. I think he’s a great team mate and has done a good job for the team overall.

But there is probably a reason Silovs is getting starts over him right now. He hasn’t looked good lately. As the season has wore on he’s started playing smaller in net, he’s getting beat up high a lot. 

Of course a lot of this is due to him being the “starter” since Demko got injured. Teams figure out how to beat him and it’s open season. He needs to stay tall to see the puck through traffic, but he’s not doing that enough right now... Marky used to do this too. I always said for a big guy he would seem so small in net. Then Clarke rounded his game out and you see the beast he is now.

Silovs is your typical Clarke goalie, big with long reach, fills the net positionally, he also stays tall in net, you don’t find him rounding his shoulders and hunching over looking for the puck. He’s upright and looking forward to the play, not down on the play, he doesn’t get lost in the traffic.

I’m probably talking silly, it’s just things I notice in good goalies. I used to be one. So it’s my favourite position to watch. A lot of it is mental too, which I think Silovs has over Desmith. He will be our back up next year. Plus saves us some cap money too.

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I was thinking about keeping Silovs around the other day.

Would be great experience for him and allow him to bond with the guys more for next season. Would also allow an extra goalie for practices if Demko needs a rest.

At this rate I’d feel better about having him as an insurance policy if Demko goes down. Plus Abby seems to be good with Tolopilo.

Tolipilov and Sawchenko have both been very good since Silovs left.

I think they send him back for Abbys playoffs tho. He’s an easy call up if they need him and he’ll get big games in on the farm.

It’s gonna be a tough one to close out the season for abby. All 4 final games are against Calgary Wrangles…a team that gives them fits and is right there in the standings with them.

If they sweep Calgary they can potentially vault themselves further into the ahl playoff bracket and may not have to play in the wild card round…which would be nice.

Both seasons previous we have been swept in the wild card best of 3 series in the pacific division. 

If abby loses and goes 500 with Calgary they will def be a wild card team and may not have home ice advantage even ( in those series the home ice team gets the 1st 2 games at home)

They may want Silovs to help them with the tall task at hand.