[PGT]Canucks vs Golden Knights - April 8th, 2024

MikeyD

19 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Friendly reminder that the Canucks have a generational talent.

I was too young to remember Orr, but absolutely remember Coffey.    Was my favourite Oiler.   Gretzky was the phenom but Coffey was every bit as extraordinary in his own way.   As for this little goofy records - let's wait awhile still shall we though. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I was too young to remember Orr, but absolutely remember Coffey.    Was my favourite Oiler.   Gretzky was the phenom but Coffey was every bit as extraordinary in his own way.   As for this little goofy records - let's wait awhile still shall we though. 

Orr had this mean streak (well I guess if you're a Bruin you get that by default 🥸😞

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

I miss knowing what a penalty was.  Remember when you saw an obvious penalty and it didn't matter what the score was or if one team already had a couple power plays it didn't matter because you always knew what a penalty when it was obvious.  This play could have blown out Zadorov's knee.  Looks like an obvious 5 and a game.

Z was no where near the puck. 

That was dangerous and dirty. 

Imagine players can skate around and pull down players from behind randomly

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wait for what? Quinn has already tallied 200 assists in three seasons matching Orr and Coffey. So we're supposed to wait to talk about that?

• Upvote 1
  • chaos 1

2 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

My point is Dallas is not the mighty powerhouse some folks around here claim them to be. They have the defence but pale in offence versus other contenders.

Any of the 10 top NHL teams right now can win the Cup in a 7 game series. It’s a very rare event. There is no one clear cut favourite whatsoever 

I know Dallas games can feel a bit boring, but they have no issues with offence or defence. For me, I think we could take them in round 2 or 3 if they get beaten up a bit and we get lucky with few injuries. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I know Dallas games can feel a bit boring, but they have no issues with offence or defence. For me, I think we could take them in round 2 or 3 if they get beaten up a bit and we get lucky with few injuries. 

Impossible for us to play them in round 2, just saying 🙂 

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Gold jacket, green jacket who gives a shit. We will beat anyone. Bring it on. Jt and I will lead this team to the promised land and petey if he wants......

• ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Even if we drop out of 1st in the Pacific?

We would have to drop to the first wild card spot and knock out the Pacific Division champion to play them in the 2nd round. Since the lowest we can finish is 2nd in the Pacific Division, yes it is impossible.

Edited by greenbean30
  • Thanks 1

Just now, greenbean30 said:

We would have to drop to the first wild card spot and knock out the Pacific Division champion to play them in the 2nd round. Since the lowest we can finish is 2nd in the Pacific Division, yes it is impossible.

Thx. I never remember how the brackets work anymore. Thanks Benning.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

From what I’ve seen from Silovs he’s one of those goalies that doesn’t let the last goal affect him. Seems very calm and composed.

Kind of like Demko. Even he lets in the odd softie but when the game is tight he locks it down.

Agree, I really like Silovs. He started the year off rough on the farm but has looked much better as the year has went on. Even after the soft goals he still looked calm and poised to make the next save. If your goalie stays calm so does the rest of the team. No one panics.

I worry about Desmith, once he gets shook up it just doesn’t stop with him. He loses all confidence, and so does our team. Not a good combo.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, chris12345 said:

I'm not convinced he is correct. I think the difference in rates is overblown.

Having said that he is one smart dude.

You don’t think the Harvard Juris doctorate lawyer, turned NHL exec, who negotiated NHL contracts for years is correct? He even gave the Stamkos example, from when he tried to sign him in TO. I’m fairly certain he is indeed correct

5 hours ago, chris12345 said:

What would be a superstar's marginal tax bracket? I think maybe 15% to sign in Van.

Not sure though?

Anything over 246k is 53.5% in BC. It is very significant. Of course good tax accountants can mitigate portions of that with smart investing, credits etc.

11 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

You don’t think the Harvard Juris doctorate lawyer, turned NHL exec, who negotiated NHL contracts for years is correct? He even gave the Stamkos example, from when he tried to sign him in TO. I’m fairly certain he is indeed correct

It's very complicated. Firstly you have convert cad to usd (1.36 now) and vice versa to compare the tax brackets and the us has lower rates for married vs single etc. Once you factor in deductions etc then you get to states. Not all us states have income tax but here's the crazy part when you play a game in new york state you have to pay income tax there so that's 3/82 games for a canuck player. You also need to see if there's a city income tax like nyc has. You then need to calculate whether any exclusions or credits apply across the jurisdictions and what amount can be exempted. No-one is doing their own taxes i guarantee it.

Short version - usa tax brackets are higher rate but they cut in later so there's probably a small advantage there. US State income taxes can be below canadian for the same reason. Texas and florida have no state income tax. But again you get state taxed in the usa where you play so max 50% would be not taxed for the panthers but it adds up. 

1 minute ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

It's very complicated. Firstly you have convert cad to usd (1.36 now) and vice versa to compare the tax brackets and the us has lower rates for married vs single etc. Once you factor in deductions etc then you get to states. Not all us states have income tax but here's the crazy part when you play a game in new york state you have to pay income tax there so that's 3/82 games for a canuck player. You also need to see if there's a city income tax like nyc has. You then need to calculate whether any exclusions or credits apply across the jurisdictions and what amount can be exempted. No-one is doing their own taxes i guarantee it.

Short version - usa tax brackets are higher rate but they cut in later so there's probably a small advantage there. US State income taxes can be below canadian for the same reason. Texas and florida have no state income tax. But again you get state taxed in the usa where you play so max 50% would be not taxed for the panthers but it adds up. 

Oh I know. But it is a very significant difference still for tax savings just between US and Canada, and primary residence comes into play, etc. I’m only referring to the non-tax states, on a $10M contract those nominal percentages add up.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, arsenalian said:

Oh I know. But it is a very significant difference still for tax savings just between US and Canada, and primary residence comes into play, etc. I’m only referring to the non-tax states, on a $10M contract those nominal percentages add up.

The US also has a lot more tax shelters/deductions for the wealthy so i do agree there are overall advantages to playing in the US which add up to be a lot. That being said, US living is not for everyone, i'll never fully adjust to some things here. 

38 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

That's right, I don't think he is correct.

For example, you can use a signing bonus and tax at 15%. You can then use an RCA to eliminate all taxes on the bonus and an RCA is only used in Canada.

When these two tax strategies are executed the differential between Florida and BC is minimal.

But I am not an expert in it so I only think that. I do know it's a commonly used strategy.

Edited by chris12345

6 minutes ago, chris12345 said:

That's right, I don't think he is correct.

For example, you can use a signing bonus and tax at 15%. You can then use an RCA to eliminate all taxes on the bonus and an RCA is only used in Canada.

When these two tax strategies are executes the differential between Florida and BC is minimal.

But I am not an expert in it so I only think that. I do know it's a commonly used strategy.

RCA just kicks the can down the road though, and only 50% of the can. Also not sure where you’re getting 15% from. Anyway, you are totally entitled to not believe him. So not sure why I’m arguing this, lol. 

13 minutes ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Hold on, this is mind blowing new information for me.

When a Canadian team visits a US state to play a game, they need to pay a state tax, even if they are employed by a Canadian team? 

So every player on a canadian team would need to have a US work visa and file taxes in the states as well as in Canada? How the hell would that be tracked for every player moving from state to state on different dates.

This seems so complicated. 

7 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

RCA just kicks the can down the road though, and only 50% of the can. Also not sure where you’re getting 15% from. Anyway, you are totally entitled to not believe him. So not sure why I’m arguing this, lol. 

There's an awesome podcast on it with Allan Walsh.

Check it out if you are interested. His tax guy says it's a non issue.

So Allan Walsh vs Brian Burke haha. Both extremely smart dudes.

Edited by chris12345