[PGT]Canucks vs Golden Knights - April 8th, 2024

MikeyD

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

The club plays with more confidence in front of Silovs too. The players trust him. Not too sure if that same level of trust exists with deSmith at the moment. 

I think it matters when you see your tender stay in his crease and command his paint. Silovs doesn't over commit like DeSmith ... I still think they trust him ... but not at the same level .... and it's noticeable when scrums start happening. 

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Actually I really like both our back ups. We're pretty lucky to have this help so that Demko can heal up. But that one atat really stood out for me 14 games of 2 goals or less. And 6 ot losses. We're a solid team when we play our game. But yes we have been a bit off this last 2 weeks. But last night was great to see. The one difference I like with Silov is his size 6'4" 203 lb which helps especially when teams are crashing the crease more. 

This is pretty much how I'm feeling as well. I think we're good in net for the playoffs. The fact that we have Silovs is great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Refs miss another boarding. While flimsy embellishments go tumbling and head twerking through the game.

It's almost like it's a man's game and multiple penalties go uncalled all game long for both teams and you need to kill off the shorties and score on the power plays to win these games. Hmmm, go figure.

I think it's called hockey. 🤣

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Chon derry said:

Both desmith and silov aren’t established starters , both for different reasons. We’re lucky to have both in each of their seperate circumstances. Desmith is and always has  been a backup and that’s all he’ll ever be. Silovs just getting started. The games that he’s going to get in the future will go up as will his expectation. Luckily it’ll take a while for him to establish himself and with any luck at all he becomes good enough to take over at the same time demko still has some tradable wealth left. Because we all know how The last time this team had 2 starters. We lost both of them. And are still paying for 1 of them.  

I like your comment about "Silovs becoming good enough to take over at the same time that Demko still has some tradeable wealth left."      

I too, had been thinking along those lines. Still several years away but I would keep an eye on Silovs development and if he advances to the point of becoming a capable "starting goalie" I would look to sell high on Demko. Demko's next contract will be quite rich and after a roster is put together we can only afford so many 8 figure salaries and really only need one good starting goalie, not two. 

Demko is under contract for two more years after this season. 

Silovs will have to start showing some real promise by next year or it would be back to Plan A and extend Demko.

Which former starting goalie are we still paying for?

The Luongo Cap Recapture Penalty is finished and over with.

Interesting side note .....  (it was reported) the Panthers contacted Benning about re-acquiring Luongo. This would have allowed the Canucks to LTIR Luongo and (in effect) null out the cap penalty. Apparently, Benning never bothered to return the phone call.  So if Benning would have found some time, we didn't have to suffer through years of cap penalty. Was it any wonder that the Canucks under Benning's mismanagement were almost always drafting in the top 10?

4 hours ago, Chon derry said:

Far cry from the Craig Janney incident. For me that one and the tkackuk garden gnome thing in Calgary is proof the opposite can happen.  Like you said these guys do seem content here.  That said I’d like to see more Canadian boys or prairie boys like the 6’6” kid they have coming up. 

Our non-national players do seem quite happy here. Haven't heard anything to the contrary.

Even in hindsight and knowing that he behaved like a douchebag, I still would have drafted Matthew Tkatchuk before Juolevi.

Not a total surprise that MT wanted out of Calgary, his father did the same thing in Winnipeg. Wonder if Brady will persevere through the losing in Ottawa?

Which Canadian boy or prairie boy that is 6'6" do we have coming up?

Are you referring to Vilmer Alriksson who is Swedish and was drafted from the Djurgardens system of the Swedish Hockey Association?

Don't really care where our players originate from. Once part of the team, they are all canucks.

Though like you, I am always happy when we draft Canadian players.

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

Whole point of the last 1/2 dozen posts on this, though, is that you are comparing tax percentages on the cap hit, not the salary actually being received by the player

Am I?   The only point of taxes is take home pay.   I'm suggesting, because it seems pretty evident, and has since Stamkos signed his last deal, so 8 years ago, that contracts go up in Canada pretty close to what the actual net pay is (in other words we pay more for similar players then south of the border in direct correlation to net pay).   That's the point.  I've been beating this drum for over close to decade now, funny how it takes one comment by Friedman two years ago for anyone start paying attention to this.    Vancouver has a huge disadvantage compared to six US teams.   And most US teams, all of them - aside from CALi and NY, still even them.    It's basic arithmetic.    JB deals were considered expensive.   Allvins likely will be too aside from Miller who's kicking butt.   Wait until they all get paid their UFA deals.    It's a cap world, and 36.6-53.089 is the reality.   The majority of the teams fall into the 36.6-43% bracket.      

Do you really think it's a coincidence that Vegas, Dallas, Florida, TB, CAR are contenders? Or COL...come on.   Most of the teams the past decade, who made it to the final four, were low tax teams.   What could we do, with another 8-12 million in payroll?  Quite a bit.   Allvin absolutely earned GM of the year this year.   Don't expect this as the norm.   It won't be.    Last time this team was good, we were in the 47-48% bracket, same as EDM and CAL.     Absolutely it matters where you live.   Vancouver is pretty nice.    It's not like BC produces a lot of hockey players though does it.    Small towns about at the same rate as anywhere else but not in the lower mainland or the Island really.    A few every generation and that's it.  Nothing like other major cities in Canada.   Not hard to understand why, no outdoor rinks, limited availability.

Do you really think EP would have negotiated 11.6 if he lived in a low state tax city?   I don't.   Added 600k and that's exactly what he got, and even then that was a "discount".   Go look on that thread and see how many people are already freaking out.    Barkov 10.5.  Best comp.  Cap went up a couple million and is expected to go up another four this summer.   So take that deal, add 5-6% the rest is taxes.   If you don't think that's the case then can only bring the horse to water.     Barkov is making more, so is Bobrovsky, so is MT at 9.5.    That's taxes. 

Look and Huberdeau's deal.  Kadri's.   Nylander.  Mathews.    Once your a UFA and playing in Vancouver, TO, MTL and OTT yikes.   Yikes again for WNP.   At least it's a little closer in Alberta, but then you have to live there (same with WNP).    MTL, TO and VAN offer a lot more then EDM and WNP.   Heck the entire Oilers dynasty took off as soon as they could.    Pretty sure that's happening again soon.   Two decades, two playoffs.   That's the norm, not what they have right now. 

Back to JB.   Those teams were bad so expect to pay a little more.    Add the taxes and a little more became a lot more for his UFA fillers.    Allvin has done some amazing gymnastics.   Also laid his eggs too.   Mikheyev.    Kuzmenko.    And if you were paying close attention, JR admitted that this market was a lot different then he was used to - to SIGN players.   There is an extra stipend.   This was about three months into his tenure.    It's a lot different than PIT and CAR. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I think it'll be a quick series vs either of those two teams. 

Quick as in we are one and done?   I think we can beat either team, agree with Stawns though, i'd rather play Vegas.   Let someone else knock out the snooze fest that LA will bring. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

It's almost like it's a man's game and multiple penalties go uncalled all game long for both teams and you need to kill off the shorties and score on the power plays to win these games. Hmmm, go figure.

Yeah tell that to Barbashev who wins Best Supporting Actor for that dive last game. 

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yes it happens to every team.  Not just us. 

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Refs miss another boarding. While flimsy embellishments go tumbling and head twerking through the game.

Interesting non-call. Looked pretty bad.

Watched a 1 minute version of this play on You-tube.

Quick summary as I saw it on the replay:

- Rangers are down a goal late in the game and have pulled their goalie for the extra attacker.

-Rangers have control in the Islanders zone with the puck high in the zone near the blue line.

-Ranger player delivers the puck  with shot/pass off the glass to the right of and behind the Islanders goal.

-Trochek is closest to the puck with has bounced up into the air and because of this there is time for the Islander player (Dobson) to contest the puck.

-Trocheck realizes that Dobson will arrive as the puck lands on the ice and with his back to the advancing player extends his right arm and upper body to shield Dobson from the puck.

-Dobson continues forward and hits Trochek with his left shoulder and drives Trochek forward about 1 yard and into the boards with a bit of force.

- bit of a scrum insues from which Trocheck retrieves the puck while on his knees and attempts to pass back to the point. This pass is intercepted and the Rangers score on an empty net.

-Trocheck is livid with Kelly Sutherland. Believes that he was cross-checked from behind.

-Rangers commentators state that they believe that it was boarding and that it was vicious?

Have certainly seen Kelly Sutherland make boarding calls on far more innocuous plays. Anyone remember his call on Daniel Sedin in the 2013 playoffs against San Jose?

We are becoming accustomed to seeing any player hit in the numbers and close to the boards, get the boarding call. Doesn't seem to matter if they turn at the last moment and present their numbers as the hit is being delivered. Remembering the Zadorov Major boarding penalty. The players are probably not sure what is or is not a penalty.

Neither ref called a penalty and given how Trocheck played that puck, with the interference on Dobson, I don't think that I would have called a penalty either.

If anything, I would have called two penalties, one on Dobson for boarding and one on Trocheck for interference.

Edited by Artemus

2 hours ago, Artemus said:

I like your comment about "Silovs becoming good enough to take over at the same time that Demko still has some tradeable wealth left."      

I too, had been thinking along those lines. Still several years away but I would keep an eye on Silovs development and if he advances to the point of becoming a capable "starting goalie" I would look to sell high on Demko. Demko's next contract will be quite rich and after a roster is put together we can only afford so many 8 figure salaries and really only need one good starting goalie, not two. 

Demko is under contract for two more years after this season. 

Silovs will have to start showing some real promise by next year or it would be back to Plan A and extend Demko.

Which former starting goalie are we still paying for?

The Luongo Cap Recapture Penalty is finished and over with.

Interesting side note .....  (it was reported) the Panthers contacted Benning about re-acquiring Luongo. This would have allowed the Canucks to LTIR Luongo and (in effect) null out the cap penalty. Apparently, Benning never bothered to return the phone call.  So if Benning would have found some time, we didn't have to suffer through years of cap penalty. Was it any wonder that the Canucks under Benning's mismanagement were almost always drafting in the top 10?

Sorry, but who reported this?... Just find this really hard to believe...

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Sorry, but who reported this?... Just find this really hard to believe...

Report: Canucks rejected opportunity to reacquire Roberto Luongo for LTIR purposes from Panthers before he retired in 2019
alt
Lachlan Irvine
1 year ago
When Roberto Luongo retired as a Florida Panther in June 2019, it triggered a $3.035 million cap recapture penalty against the Vancouver Canucks for signing him to a twelve-year extension in 2009. But according to Sportsnet 650’s Satiar Shah, Luongo’s career could’ve officially finished in a very different way.Before Luongo announced his retirement, then-Panthers GM Dale Tallon offered the Canucks the opportunity to reacquire Luongo’s contract, allowing the team to place the Hall of Fame goaltender on LTIR instead and eventually finish his career in Vancouver.The Canucks, then run by GM Jim Benning, turned the offer down. “They gave the Canucks a chance to trade back the contract to do some LTIR stuff or whatever, they never did,” Shah said. “Ultimately, he ends up retiring.”Despite the extremely valuable opportunity to reacquire the best goalie in franchise history and avoid a costly recapture penalty, the Canucks felt such a move didn’t tie into their existing plan at the time. But that didn’t stop Benning from using it as a frequent excuse for his front office’s inability to improve.

Are
  • Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yeah tell that to Barbashev who wins Best Supporting Actor for that dive last game. 

In other news water is wet, the sky is blue, and the earth is round.

An incredibly huge part of the game is pushing the limits of the rules without getting busted. It's shocking how people can't get their heads around that, especially those who have watched hockey for decades.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

An incredibly huge part of the game is pushing the limits of the rules without getting busted. It's shocking how people can't get their heads around that, especially those who have watched hockey for decades.

Yeah.!

What is that old adage in sports? something along the line of ...... "If you're not cheating, you are not trying hard enough.!"

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Artemus said:

Report: Canucks rejected opportunity to reacquire Roberto Luongo for LTIR purposes from Panthers before he retired in 2019
alt
Lachlan Irvine
1 year ago
When Roberto Luongo retired as a Florida Panther in June 2019, it triggered a $3.035 million cap recapture penalty against the Vancouver Canucks for signing him to a twelve-year extension in 2009. But according to Sportsnet 650’s Satiar Shah, Luongo’s career could’ve officially finished in a very different way.Before Luongo announced his retirement, then-Panthers GM Dale Tallon offered the Canucks the opportunity to reacquire Luongo’s contract, allowing the team to place the Hall of Fame goaltender on LTIR instead and eventually finish his career in Vancouver.The Canucks, then run by GM Jim Benning, turned the offer down. “They gave the Canucks a chance to trade back the contract to do some LTIR stuff or whatever, they never did,” Shah said. “Ultimately, he ends up retiring.”Despite the extremely valuable opportunity to reacquire the best goalie in franchise history and avoid a costly recapture penalty, the Canucks felt such a move didn’t tie into their existing plan at the time. But that didn’t stop Benning from using it as a frequent excuse for his front office’s inability to improve.

Are

Cheers, appreciated....

What the story doesn't tell, is the ask from Florida to trade him back?

There would have been a price to pay, and I wonder, what it would have been... It must have been big, otherwise it just makes no sense, why you wouldn't take the contract back?

Never mind, water under the bridge now... Thanks amigo for finding it.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Cheers, appreciated....

What the story doesn't tell, is the ask from Florida to trade him back?

There would have been a price to pay, and I wonder, what it would have been... It must have been big, otherwise it just makes no sense, why you wouldn't take the contract back?

Never mind, water under the bridge now... Thanks amigo for finding it.

You're Welcome.

Don't know the ask but if I got the story correct, and I am relying on my memory, it was nothing, "Future Considerations" or the like.

It seems that the Panthers would also have benefited from Luongo going on Vancouver's LTIR as they too had a Luongo Cap Recapture Penalty, although it was no where near as large as our penalty.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh yeah cheating forgot about that. It should be in the stats.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Artemus said:

You're Welcome.

Don't know the ask but if I got the story correct, and I am relying on my memory, it was nothing, "Future Considerations" or the like.

It seems that the Panthers would also have benefited from Luongo going on Vancouver's LTIR as they too had a Luongo Cap Recapture Penalty, although it was no where near as large as our penalty.

If so, Benning should be hammered for that alone... 🤬

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Oh yeah cheating forgot about that. It should be in the stats.

Maybe someone should start recording stuff like that. Seems like it would be pretty popular nowadays, especially here. Doesn't interest me at all but to each their own.

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Maybe someone should start recording stuff like that. Seems like it would be pretty popular nowadays, especially here. Doesn't interest me at all but to each their own.

It would be a great kangaroo court stat

Reddit maybe

Non bias

Head snapping back, diving, peeking up smiling, feigning injury than first out on the pp

Adjudicated fairly across the boatd