[PGT]Canucks vs Golden Knights - April 8th, 2024

MikeyD

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

image.jpeg.866d5ac75aab0e958b36a777ec6603c4.jpeg

Yeah man I started watching the game and boom Las Vegas scores 2 goals

I shut the game off boom Canucks score boom they’re tied up boom yeah they win because I didn’t watch

boom GIF

• chaos 1

5 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Yeah man I started watching the game and boom Las Vegas scores 2 goals

I shut the game off boom Canucks score boom they’re tied up boom yeah they win because I didn’t watch

boom GIF

Good work keep it up bro

• Haha 2

Great game - very happy with the result given their two comebacks in the game.  Although their PK gave up goals again tonight, they did nullify a key advantage in the third - on that kill, looks like they made several adjustments - hopefully they can continue to adapt / refine their PK moving forward.

Silov made some big saves as the game went along plus some good D play by Big Z.  With only 4 games left,Its almost all hands on deck right now as they prep for post season round the corner. At this point, all their possible playoffs opponents will be a challenge (but still do-able)  - so just prepare their best for whoever it is.

Congrats to JT for his 100pt and Garland 400game / 2 goals tonight.

Screenshot 2024-03-31 010233.jpg

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Anyone but LA. I think Vegas will be tough to beat with a healthy Hertl and Stone if he comes back. I'd be happy seeing them go up against the Oilers in round 1.

Agreed. No one wants to be in a bar during the playoffs watching a snoozefest

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 2

2 hours ago, Dr.BRR said:

Went to the game tonight. Atmosphere was awesome. One of my unsung heroes of the game was Zadorov. Thought he was great. Uo and down the ice, smart plays, couple big hits. Overall huge win!!

Go Nucks Go!!

Zadorov was a beast tonight.  Played over 20 minutes.  All over the ice.  He is going to he huge for us in the playoffs.  Literally huge...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JamesB said:

The way the game started I thought my main comment tonight would be about goaltending problems (again). Instead the Canucks pulled out a big character win with a gutty, gritty performance--with several big milestones along the way.

1. After giving up two goals on the first two shots against it would be easy to give up. But the Canucks just kept going hard and got a well-deserved win. The Canucks were ahead in all-strength expected goals 3.44 to 1.98. They did not give up many chances (especially at 5-on-5).

2. Silovs did not look great. The first goal just went right through him. On the second he seem to slip or get tangled up moving across the crease. And the third goal was just a shot from the blueline that he should have stopped. He had trouble finding the puck as he was partially screened, but NHL goalies usually make that play. After 3 goals on 9 shots I was worried. But Silovs settled down and stopped the next 14 shots in a row. He looked a bit shaky at times, but he finished strong. Credit to him for battling back after a tough start, but I will breathe a sigh of relief when Demmer is healthy again (along with all other Canuck fans).

3. Some great performances from the skaters. Hard to know where to start. Garland was first star, which he deserved. He scored two goals and could easily have had a couple more.

4. Hughes had  yet another huge game, despite taking a cheap shot hit to the head and some other questionable hits. Other teams are definitely going after him and the Canucks do not have much pushback. Of course, they could not afford to take any unnecessary penalties tonight. And Joshua can't fight after just coming back from breaking his little finger. And Z was being careful to avoid taking penalties tonight. 

5. Miller gets 3 assists to reach the elusive 100 pt mark after putting up 99 two years ago. Great to see.

6. Boeser gets his 40th after all the false starts and questions about whether he would ever reach 30. Really happy to see that.

7. I also want to mention Petey, who had a very good game. He "only" had one assist but he screened the goalie on 3 of the 4 Canuck goals, played a physical game, and was very good defensively. He is never going to be as visible on the ice as Miller or Hughes, but he is very good in a more subtle way. 

8. Credit to Tocchet for building a real character team. Everyone is pulling for each other and putting the team ahead of themselves.

9. Despite all the positives, I noticed a few issues in addition to goaltending. On the first Vegas goal, Z. did not have very good gap control. The same thing happened on a pp goal in the last game. He is just giving the opposing forward too much time and space. He needs to close on the shooter more quickly as the shooter enters a high danger area. I am not saying it is easy, but it is an important skill. Cole and Z. struggled tonight. Scoring chances were 8-1 against Cole and 9-1 against Z at 5-on-5. I would play Juulsen in the next game. Frankly, it would be reasonable to rest any of Cole, Z., or Soucy. Fortunately, Myers has somehow turned into a reliable, consistent, top-4 RD.

10. The Canucks need more offence from the bottom 6. They played well defensively tonight but are generating very few offensive chances.

Still, a very satisfying win as the Canucks clinch being ahead of Vegas and LA (and had already clinched being ahead of Nashville) so the Canucks are guaranteed home ice advantage in the first round. 

If Demko comes back healthy and sharp and Lindholm comes back healthy I think the Canucks have a good a shot as anyone in the playoffs.

I agree somewhat with the Silovs take. He was so so, but Id attribute it more to the guys in front of him. There was barely any grade A chances he needed to stop, but he still made them, which lately DeSmith hasn't been able to

Gawd I hope Lindholm, Mikeyev and Pettersson are saving all their goals for the post season

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

The way the game started I thought my main comment tonight would be about goaltending problems (again). Instead the Canucks pulled out a big character win with a gutty, gritty performance--with several big milestones along the way.

1. After giving up two goals on the first two shots against it would be easy to give up. But the Canucks just kept going hard and got a well-deserved win. The Canucks were ahead in all-strength expected goals 3.44 to 1.98. They did not give up many chances (especially at 5-on-5).

2. Silovs did not look great. The first goal just went right through him. On the second he seem to slip or get tangled up moving across the crease. And the third goal was just a shot from the blueline that he should have stopped. He had trouble finding the puck as he was partially screened, but NHL goalies usually make that play. After 3 goals on 9 shots I was worried. But Silovs settled down and stopped the next 14 shots in a row. He looked a bit shaky at times, but he finished strong. Credit to him for battling back after a tough start, but I will breathe a sigh of relief when Demmer is healthy again (along with all other Canuck fans).

3. Some great performances from the skaters. Hard to know where to start. Garland was first star, which he deserved. He scored two goals and could easily have had a couple more.

4. Hughes had  yet another huge game, despite taking a cheap shot hit to the head and some other questionable hits. Other teams are definitely going after him and the Canucks do not have much pushback. Of course, they could not afford to take any unnecessary penalties tonight. And Joshua can't fight after just coming back from breaking his little finger. And Z was being careful to avoid taking penalties tonight. 

5. Miller gets 3 assists to reach the elusive 100 pt mark after putting up 99 two years ago. Great to see.

6. Boeser gets his 40th after all the false starts and questions about whether he would ever reach 30. Really happy to see that.

7. I also want to mention Petey, who had a very good game. He "only" had one assist but he screened the goalie on 3 of the 4 Canuck goals, played a physical game, and was very good defensively. He is never going to be as visible on the ice as Miller or Hughes, but he is very good in a more subtle way. 

8. Credit to Tocchet for building a real character team. Everyone is pulling for each other and putting the team ahead of themselves.

9. Despite all the positives, I noticed a few issues in addition to goaltending. On the first Vegas goal, Z. did not have very good gap control. The same thing happened on a pp goal in the last game. He is just giving the opposing forward too much time and space. He needs to close on the shooter more quickly as the shooter enters a high danger area. I am not saying it is easy, but it is an important skill. Cole and Z. struggled tonight. Scoring chances were 8-1 against Cole and 9-1 against Z at 5-on-5. I would play Juulsen in the next game. Frankly, it would be reasonable to rest any of Cole, Z., or Soucy. Fortunately, Myers has somehow turned into a reliable, consistent, top-4 RD.

10. The Canucks need more offence from the bottom 6. They played well defensively tonight but are generating very few offensive chances.

Still, a very satisfying win as the Canucks clinch being ahead of Vegas and LA (and had already clinched being ahead of Nashville) so the Canucks are guaranteed home ice advantage in the first round. 

If Demko comes back healthy and sharp and Lindholm comes back healthy I think the Canucks have a good a shot as anyone in the playoffs.

Thank you James, much appreciated as always.

This team will go as far as Demko takes them.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Thank you James, much appreciated as always.

This team will go as far as Demko takes them.

Demko for sure is a critical part of the team.    Like Vasilevsky was for TB.   Our record without him playing our 2nd and 3rd goalie, is nothing like it was last season without Demko.   Which is pretty encouraging. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

Kevin Woodley writing that Hughes scored on Silovs. Pretty stupid mistake to make for a professional sports writer.

‘Hughes tied it 2-2 with another power-play goal at 14:26, beating Silovs low with a point shot through a screen by Garland and Elias Pettersson.”

Woodly is a friggin’ moran.