Interesting How Fast Things Can Change - Canada vs USA Part 1: Defence

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Sheltered minutes?  Against Team Canada??  What does our fourth line look like in 2026?  Suzuki and Bedard maybe?  

That's because Canadian goalies still aren't going to college yet and taking advantage of its development track.  So far the best goalies to come out of the CHL are guys like Sebastian Cossa (Canadian) and Dustin Wolf (American).

Just look at Devon Levi.  An undersized Quebec kid who went to college for a couple years and became a top goaltending prospect.  Imagine being able to play against grown men, practice with the same facilities/coaches for four extra years, and delay your decision to go pro until age 22/23.

Sheltered as in less minutes on the ice.  Therefore, more fresh, more energy to do what he does best... skate like the wind.

You'd still think some kid would come along with talent through the roof and break the odds (a la Bedard). 

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Doing some digging... these guys come to mind as closest comparables...

Kopitar is listed as 6'3" 225lbs

Getzlaf (as mentioned)

Barkov (6'3" 215lbs)

Hintz (6'3" 212lbs)

Eriksson Ek (6'3" 207lbs)

Gonna keep digging lol

I'd be curious to see what you find

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Sheltered as in less minutes on the ice.  Therefore, more fresh, more energy to do what he does best... skate like the wind.

You'd still think some kid would come along with talent through the roof and break the odds (a la Bedard). 

The problem for Lukey is in his own end.  He isn't used to the size and pace of the NHL yet.  No doubt Team USA has the talent to drive possession, but the trade off is when he gets hemmed in his own end against Team Canada.  Anyone who is weak defensively is going to get COOKED by us.  Luke Hughes will be an all-star and a complete player, but he still has a lot of work to do.

Goaltending talent doesn't emerge at such a young age.  It is something that requires more patience and development than ever before.  Hellebuyck was a 5th round pick.  Demko was a 2nd round pick.  Swayman was a 4th round pick.  Oettinger.... was a late 1st rounder.  Goalies are no longer born with innate talent.  They are slowly built up.  No more Fleury or Price.

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd be curious to see what you find

Found some more

Mikko Koivu (6'3" 213lbs)

Joe Thornton (Jumbo)

Sean Couturier (6'4" 210lbs)

Mike Modano (6'3" 212lbs)

Rod Brind Amour (only 6'1 205lbs, but the guy was a BEAST)

That's about it I think.  Most guys don't have the offensive prowess of Kopitar, and none are equally as big (usually 10lbs less). 

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Found some more

Mikko Koivu (6'3" 213lbs)

Joe Thornton (Jumbo)

Sean Couturier (6'4" 210lbs)

Mike Modano (6'3" 212lbs)

Rod Brind Amour (only 6'1 205lbs, but the guy was a BEAST)

That's about it I think.  Most guys don't have the offensive prowess of Kopitar, and none are equally as big (usually 10lbs less). 

Historically, for the type of player he is and what he's achieved, I think he's a unicorn. I'm not sure there's a comparable, if anything he will be the comparable going forward. 

I dug deeper into Kopitar and Barkov.

Regarding players currently playing, Barkov may be closest. He's one a single Selke and a single Byng. Same size, just lighter. 

Barkov's had several highly productive seasons but hasn't quite demonstrated the same level of durability. 

Kopitar's won two Selke's and been nominated an additional two times. Barkov's one it once and been nominated one other time. 

Barkov's won a Byng and been nominated for another two, ultimately losing one to Kopitar. Kopitar's won two and been nominated an additional time. 

It's tough to gauge given their age difference, but they may end up having had similar careers. The caveat to this is Barkov doesn't have someone like Bergeron also jockeying for the Selke. 

Calling Barkov Kopitar-lite wouldn't be fair, but he'll need to win a few more individual awards and lead his team to championships to be in quite the same tier. Kopitar put up 20 in 20 in 11-12 and 26 in 26 in 13-14, Barkov would need to get closer to matching that. He had 16 in 21 last season as Florida fell short. 

Cups are a team achievement, but they still matter, particularly when you're considering two players who would be drivers if their teams have won/were to win. 

https://records.nhl.com/awards/trophies/lady-byng-memorial-trophy

https://records.nhl.com/awards/trophies/frank-j-selke-trophy

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The problem for Lukey is in his own end.  He isn't used to the size and pace of the NHL yet.  No doubt Team USA has the talent to drive possession, but the trade off is when he gets hemmed in his own end against Team Canada.  Anyone who is weak defensively is going to get COOKED by us.  Luke Hughes will be an all-star and a complete player, but he still has a lot of work to do.

Goaltending talent doesn't emerge at such a young age.  It is something that requires more patience and development than ever before.  Hellebuyck was a 5th round pick.  Demko was a 2nd round pick.  Swayman was a 4th round pick.  Oettinger.... was a late 1st rounder.  Goalies are no longer born with innate talent.  They are slowly built up.  No more Fleury or Price.

I guess I can picture Luke getting out of trouble a similar way to how his big bro does it.  SKATE.  Not many defenders in the league can skate like either Hughes brother.

Even in terms of talent... who are Canada's top goalie prospects now?  The pickings are pretty slim.  Canada's goaltending used to dominate the world juniors too, which is pre-college level, so the college argument wouldn't work there.  Something in the grass roots isn't right IMO.  Goalies are not being developed properly from a very young age I reckon.

It's remarkable, Bergeron either won or was nominated for the Selke every season from the 2011-12 season up until he retired. Only a few players throughout NHL history have that kind of long-term grip on an NHL award. 

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I guess I can picture Luke getting out of trouble a similar way to how his big bro does it.  SKATE.  Not many defenders in the league can skate like either Hughes brother.

Even in terms of talent... who are Canada's top goalie prospects now?  The pickings are pretty slim.  Canada's goaltending used to dominate the world juniors too, which is pre-college level, so the college argument wouldn't work there.  Something in the grass roots isn't right IMO.  Goalies are not being developed properly from a very young age I reckon.

Just Cossa and Levi come to mind.  Luukonen took over the Sabres starting job, but I think Detroit expects Cossa to grow into a starter.  Eventually.  Probably two years away.

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Just Cossa and Levi come to mind.  Luukonen took over the Sabres starting job, but I think Detroit expects Cossa to grow into a starter.  Eventually.  Probably two years away.

Not pretty....

• HKSR changed the title to Interesting How Fast Things Can Change - Canada vs USA Part 1: Defence

@HKSR Just realized Detroit has Trey Augustine.  He's having a fantastic freshman year for the Spartans and all eyes will be on him being a starter down the line.

Local boy too.  From Michigan.  World Junior champion.  Cossa is fucked.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

@HKSR Just realized Detroit has Trey Augustine.  He's having a fantastic freshman year for the Spartans and all eyes will be on him being a starter down the line.

Local boy too.  From Michigan.  World Junior champion.  Cossa is fucked.

Gonna need several more and hope 1 of them hits as a Vezina calibre guy in 4 or 5 years...

EDIT:  Nevermind, I thought you were saying he was a Canadian born kid haha

Edited by HKSR

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Gonna need several more and hope 1 of them hits as a Vezina calibre guy in 4 or 5 years...

EDIT:  Nevermind, I thought you were saying he was a Canadian born kid haha

image.png.02e8fcdbc5aea6244b169aba520473bd.png

The future of American hockey... 😒

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I get why some folks don't like Drew, but those who try to dunk on him just make themselves look foolish. When it's all said and done he could potentially be a first ballot hall of famer. 

Two cups, a Norris, two Olympic golds, world junior gold, world cup of hockey gold, world championship silver, super series gold, Ivan Hlinka gold, 1000+ games, possibly 700+ points by the time he retires, NHL all-star, Olympic all-star. All he's missing for triple gold is a world championship gold and he could still get that. 

Even at 34 he's still a force, 50+ points this season and still one of the league's top minute munchers, as he has been for most of his NHL career. 

I've never been a Doughty fan and have argued that's been overrated at times--but he's almost certiainly a first-ballot HHOFer.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I've never been a Doughty fan and have argued that's been overrated at times--but he's almost certiainly a first-ballot HHOFer.

It's gonna be weird seeing the next crop of hall of famers over the next 1-8 years, at least for me 

I started watching in the early 2000's and have already seen guys like Iggy, Sakic, and the twins get in, it's gonna be weird seeing the next wave, those who largely thrived during the 2010's and on, get in 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's gonna be weird seeing the next crop of hall of famers over the next 1-8 years, at least for me 

I started watching in the early 2000's and have already seen guys like Iggy, Sakic, and the twins get in, it's gonna be weird seeing the next wave, those who largely thrived during the 2010's and on, get in 

Yeah same for me. It's interesting to see guys that I've watched from the beginning earn that iconic status. When I started watching, guys like Sakic, Yzerman, and Lidstrom already had legend status, but now I'm seeing guys build that legacy from the beginning and see it to completion. It's crazy that Crosby and Ovie have arguably surpassed most of the legends that were still hanging around in the early 2000s (save for maybe Lemieux) and I've watched their entire careers.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah same for me. It's interesting to see guys that I've watched from the beginning earn that iconic status. When I started watching, guys like Sakic, Yzerman, and Lidstrom already had legend status, but now I'm seeing guys build that legacy from the beginning and see it to completion. It's crazy that Crosby and Ovie have arguably surpassed most of the legends that were still hanging around in the early 2000s (save for maybe Lemieux) and I've watched their entire careers.

You're about three years younger than me, we're in the exact same boat

It's absolutely bizarre 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You're about three years younger than me, we're in the exact same boat

It's absolutely bizarre 

Millenial pain

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 2