[PGT] Utah (Arizona) @ Vancouver

Iron Man

On 4/11/2024 at 12:19 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think losing Demko was a bigger influence than acquiring lindholm. The Canucks won most of Lindholm's initial games.

Yeah but he has to have a whipping boy though, last season it was Tocchet and Hronek. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Floridas injury situation also gave Vegas a relatively easy cup finals.

For sure Dallas was last years best series.     Also CAR was all over FLD, as far as that series goes, it was all Bobrovsky.     As far as the eyeballs, the most deserving teams were Dallas and CAR.    CAR especially, the puck seemed to be in Florida's zone 2-1, all the time...shot after quality shot denied.    Short series, watching Brindamour after each loss was tough.    They were clearly the better team.    Goaltending.     Bobrovsky did the same thing to CAR, that he did to TB while in CLB.      Dallas and Vegas was  lot closer, edge to Dallas, yet they lost the series.  

Just goes to show how much luck and "inches" matter.    Vegas was at another level then FLD (healthy or not),   same with Dallas.    Dallas is the best team in the league IMO.    If luck was equal, they'd have swept Florida instead.    MT's antics didn't work (yes get the breastbone ouch!) against Vegas (18 Canadians - a lot of them big ... just not happening), and wouldn't have worked against Dallas either.    Jamie Benn as your third line center yikes.    He's still tough as nails.   Bet that his line would have neutered MT.   Barkov was too busy trying not to get scored on.   

Edit:  I do wonder if Florida is better this year (despite a recent cold streak).    Vegas  without Stone (their best player) is a very good team.    He's coming back.    That's ridiculous.   

Edited by IBatch
  • MillerTime 1

17 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Okay so if I go and look back the last 3-4 weeks we lost to LAK 3-2, DAL 3-1, VGK 6-3, LAK 6-3 and we beat VGK 4-3 

Breakdown vs LAK 

VAN vs LAK 3-2L 

All situations

62.37% CORSI

SCF 28

SCA 13

HDCF 14

HDCA 6

xGF 3.04

xGA 1.76

5v5

59.42% CORSI

SCF 20

SCA 9

HDCF 10

HDCA 4

xGF 2.06

xGA 1.02

VAN vs LAK 6-3L

All situations

59.15% CORSI

SCF 37

SCA 17

HDCF 20

HDCA 8

xGF 4.66

xGA 2.23

These wins for LAK are not sustainable against us whatsoever. I do not see a best of 7 where LAK wins 4 games with numbers like that, consistently every time we play them. They benefitted from some weak goals and capitalized on very very few chances. 

Dallas was one game where we were out chanced and lacked possession overall

vs DAL 3-1L

All situations

45.52% CORSI

SCF 28

SCA 40

HDCF 12

HDCA 22

xGF 2.93

xGA 5.94

Looks pretty ugly at first glance.

5v5

CORSI 45.26% 

SCF 23

SCA 28

HDCF 10

HDCA 13

xGF 2.13

xGA 3.06

The game tightens up a bit more 5v5, our special teams were really having a hard time vs DAL and ultimately every game it struggled for an extended period of time.   DAL scored 2PPGs and then added an empty netter. We lost solely on special teams and were only slightly out edged 5v5.

vs VGK 6-3L

All situations

54.39% CORSI

SCF 27

SCA 29

HDCF 11

HDCA 9

xGF 2.09

xGA 2.86

5v5

54.76% CORSI

SCF 22

SCA 22

HDCF 8

HDCA 5

xGF 1.33

xGA 1.56

Vancouver has been great 5v5, the PP has been disappointing and the PK was not holding up. We can play with anyone 5v5, we just need some adjustments on the PP, we need to press the issue to get more shots and traffic and the PK is missing its best player, Thatcher Demko. 

Special teams can be the difference, however the longer a series goes and the rounds go, the less whistles.    And this is the playoffs, so less penalties in general.    The 2011 team wasn't a possession darling.    Not like CHI and a year later, LA.    When it comes to playoffs give me top 5 x 5 and mediocre special teams verus the other way around.    As long as our PK is good, we will be fine.     And a 80-90% Demko is >>  Then our 2nd and 3rd string goalie.     He would have easily shaved one to two goals off each of those games.    

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

For sure Dallas was last years best series.     Also CAR was all over FLD, as far as that series goes, it was all Bobrovsky.     As far as the eyeballs, the most deserving teams were Dallas and CAR.    CAR especially, the puck seemed to be in Florida's zone 2-1, all the time...shot after quality shot denied.    Short series, watching Brindamour after each loss was tough.    They were clearly the better team.    Goaltending.     Bobrovsky did the same thing to CAR, that he did to TB while in CLB.      Dallas and Vegas was  lot closer, edge to Dallas, yet they lost the series.  

Just goes to show how much luck and "inches" matter.    Vegas was at another level then FLD (healthy or not),   same with Dallas.    Dallas is the best team in the league IMO.    If luck was equal, they'd have swept Florida instead.    MT's antics didn't work (yes get the breastbone ouch!) against Vegas (18 Canadians - a lot of them big ... just not happening), and wouldn't have worked against Dallas either.    Jamie Benn as your third line center yikes.    He's still tough as nails.   Bet that his line would have neutered MT.   Barkov was too busy trying not to get scored on.   

Edit:  I do wonder if Florida is better this year (despite a recent cold streak).    Vegas  without Stone (their best player) is a very good team.    He's coming back.    That's ridiculous.   

There's just too many things that factor in for anyone to predict who's going to win four rounds.

• chaos 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Special teams can be the difference, however the longer a series goes and the rounds go, the less whistles.    And this is the playoffs, so less penalties in general.    The 2011 team wasn't a possession darling.    Not like CHI and a year later, LA.    When it comes to playoffs give me top 5 x 5 and mediocre special teams verus the other way around.    As long as our PK is good, we will be fine.     And a 80-90% Demko is >>  Then our 2nd and 3rd string goalie.     He would have easily shaved one to two goals off each of those games.    

And the best part about fewer PPs as playoffs go on, VAN is one of the top scoring teams 5v5. Other teams have a hard time beating us with their PP. we can beat teams without our PP

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

There's just too many things that factor in for anyone to predict who's going to win four rounds.

You bet.   It rarely follows a script.   Luck and bounces often make the difference between a win in a series, and winning a series.   Goaltending is crucial.    A hot goalie can give great teams fits.   

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, AnthonyG said:

And the best part about fewer PPs as playoffs go on, VAN is one of the top scoring teams 5v5. Other teams have a hard time beating us with their PP. we can beat teams without our PP

I'd rather have the better 5 x 5 team.   Especially the deeper things go. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

You bet.   It rarely follows a script.   Luck and bounces often make the difference between a win in a series, and winning a series.   Goaltending is crucial.    A hot goalie can give great teams fits.   

if we can be stingy 5 on 5, Demko does Demko things, I like our chances, and I don't even need to quantify them. I just like them. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

if we can be stingy 5 on 5, Demko does Demko things, I like our chances, and I don't even need to quantify them. I just like them. 

Demko+Hughes 5v5 separates us from 90% of the teams in the league. Hughes is almost like having a man advantage.

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I think you can really credit CD with that one.  If he doesn't shut the door on that first oilers pp, it could really have gone south there.  You could see the team change after that first 7 minutes.  

So goaltenders do matter?

Last game Demko wouldn't have made the difference because he doesn't score goals.

What he DOES do though is exactly what you're crediting CD with here. So let's be consistent in that application. Demko can also help the team's overall confidence out there and our losses may not have been so, despite him not being a goal scorer.

I think if we're crediting CD with that one and shutting the door we have to assume Demko may have also in games that he was absent for too.