[PGT] Utah (Arizona) @ Vancouver

Iron Man

6 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

When Arizona is setting picks and holding sticks all night with impunity and they call a phantom high stick  and a tap on the pants on Vancouver it is a legitimate fucking issue. Stop making excuses for mediocre officials. 

so it WASN"T just me that saw all that 'interference' that was going on. whew, thought I needed new glasses for a minute there

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

Not the outcome we wanted, but it could be worse. The Canucks remain in first place in the Division and "control their fate". It probably comes down to the game against Edmonton on Saturday. 

Tonight, there were some positives and we learned a few things.

1. One thing we "learned" is that we desperately need a healthy Demko. Silovs had a negative expected goal differential again. The first two goals were both low danger changes--the first from a poor angle and the second from a long way out. They were partially screened but a big part of goaltending is fighting to get a glimpse of the puck, anticipating the shot, and being in the right position. The third goal was a high danger chance with the open man in front and the OT was a cross-seam tap in that Silovs had no chance on.

2. The Canucks were by far the better team tonight.   All-strength Corsi was 75-37, shots were 26-18, scoring chances were 42-16 and high danger chances 19-7. If the Canucks play like that and Demko in goal they probably win 90% of the time. 

3. It took a lot of character to come back to tie the game from a two-goal deficit, despite a bunch of penalties. A lot of people are complaining about the referees, but I think they let some pretty obvious Canuck penalties go. I don't know what Myers was thinking on his penalty. The refs let a flagrant cross-check but then he added two more. Hoggy's penalty came on play where the Arizona player could have been called for interference, but ripping the guy's helmet off is now supposed to be an automatic penalty. And Petey's PP goal came after a pretty soft call. 

4. The Miller line was really good again, and both Miller and Garland came up with big 5-on-5 goals. Petey, Boeser, and Hoggy were also good and, statistically, were the best line on the ice. Nothing wrong with the top 6. 

5. Lindholm came back. He was ok. When Tocchet was asked about him he said he "played hard" and that tonight was big step forward. He did not say that Lindholm actually had a good game. I thought he was ok but he was -2. I especially did not like the second Arizona goal. The Canucks just came back to tie the game and the period was almost over. The guys on the ice have to dig in.  Lindholm failed to keep the puck in at the Arizona blueline and was slow getting back. 

6. Hughes had another big game with 3 assists, becoming the first Canuck D to get 90 pts in a season (after being the first to get 80 and the first to get 70). But he did give puck away on the 3rd Arizona goal. Hughes makes very few mistakes but that was a mistake. PDG should have been covering the man in front and Silovs seemed totally surprised. I guess that the Hughes loses the puck so rarely that both PDG and Silovs were not expecting it and were certainly not ready for it. 

I think the bottom line for this game is the importance of goal tending. Saturday's game is big. 

Throughout the game the d-men were missing the net with their point shots. Especially Zad. What made me sit up were Zad's activation deep into the ozone and Meyers a little less so. It made me wonder whether this happens more during playoffs? If the team structure is strong enough the forwards could cover plays like this, especially with Demko in net. It might create the offence that has dried up. 

Canucks defeated themselves with poor point shots and penalties.  

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

so it WASN"T just me that saw all that 'interference' that was going on. whew, thought I needed new glasses for a minute there

Me too, mentioned it last night.

It was quite glaring.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

wrong.

players are human.

fans can have an effect on a team.

it's why some players stay away from social media etc. 

Fans at a game can effect the energy, but not fans here.  We mean nothing

18 minutes ago, stawns said:

Guess what, we have zero effect on the team.  

You’re so stuck in your own high and mighty opinions that you can’t see past your own nose. 

Obviously fans have an influence on both the players and the game outcomes. Players constantly comment on the crowds energy influencing the game. It’s called the 13th man in football.

How much effort would players maintain if 18,000 people sat quietly on their hands with sullen faces and only cheered and supported for the officials bad calls?  

You should consider expanding your mindset because you don’t know as much as you seem to think you do. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Barnstorm said:

You’re so stuck in your own high and mighty opinions that you can’t see past your own nose. 

Obviously fans have an influence on both the players and the game outcomes. Players constantly comment on the crowds energy influencing the game. It’s called the 13th man in football.

How much effort would players maintain if 18,000 people sat quietly on their hands with sullen faces and only cheered and supported for the officials bad calls?  

You should consider expanding your mindset because you don’t know as much as you seem to think you do. 

Awwwww, it must be so hard for you to hear other people's opinions hey?  What a tough existence you must lead

• Wiener 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Speak for yourself, I'm pretty important.

Sure, fans do effect energy. They effect everything. Apathy being the worst, negativity is at least attention but as I mentioned some of it makes some players turn off social media, not read the news ...etc..

Remember, without us there is no team. We are the bosses. We control Barter town. 

why did the org shut down cdc? I heard that they thought the fans were having a negative effect on the brand...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Wrong.

Positivity carries over from here to other people , to media, to attendance at games , to players and results.  Just like negativity is insidious, positivity is infectious. 

• Cheers 3

things I noticed last night:

- We seem to get penalized for being within 2 feet of the other team when they fall down.

- We seem to get penalized ( Meyers & Zadorov ) for being bigger and stronger than the other team.

-The other team is allowed to hold our sticks and set picks with impunity but we are not.

-This is the LAST time that we EVER have to play the Coyotes. But that just means that Bettman's new favorite team will be based out of SL city. Oy Vey

-I'd love to see a minor tweek to the rules... team gets a choice if they want the penalty shot or the power play. Plus, penalties called in OT should only be for ONE minute. 

-Our goaltending will be fine once Demko is back. I think that Silovs was again simply meh... not good not great. 

- our PKers should be practicing their breakaway moves at high speed... Blueger's attempt was week to say the least, could've ended the game right there. I won't mention Hronek's penalty shot, didn't even get a proper shot off really. He would have been better off blasting that slap shot from 10 feet away.

- why did our PP go away from the Petey one-timer? it worked so well last game. last night all's they did was fling the puck around the boards 10x back and forth till they lost the puck. SO frustrating. 

Problem last night wasn't goaltending, first 2 were strange bounces, 3rd was on Hughes, winner was 1 guy beating our defenders infront. Silovs actually made a number of huge saves.

Overall it's a game they should win more often than not, and the comeback was really good, but when you need the point it's not good to be mailing it in for 40 mins in the middle of the game.

Canucks did a great job stinkin up the place until the mid third period. Didn't expect that. Came on late, almost won but the point is the Dogs played the night 

before. Quite honestly, the only Canuck I personally thought had a rough night was R.T. His job to have them ready, (even playoff ready), and he didn't.

Of note; Hughes was unreal, but again; Should Tocchet be letting have 6, 7. 12 minute shifts?

Maybe an unpopular comment but Tocchet has to do better. The way he was till March. I would do a wee bit of switching on the top two lines.

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Sad Chloe Sevigny GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

You are so predictable it’s laughable. 
Every time you shove your foot in your mouth your argument quickly deteriorates to memes . It just gets weaker and weaker. Is this all you’ve got?

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

They hold destiny in their hands regardless. If they did not share your view of optimal first round opponents, surely they could do something. But then perhaps other opponents would act accordingly. All they control is winning. 

Was just referring to a division win.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I had band practice last night, so I wasn't able to watch the first two periods. It was pretty disappointing to see the team trailing 2-1 to the Coyotes and it got even worse when they went down 3-1 minutes later....

However, from that point on, the Canucks looked like the far superior team. The penalties against didn't seem to faze them at all and if there's one positive to take away other than the 2 goal comeback and the single point, it was the play of Lindy....

It would have been storybook, had he buried that chance late in regulation, but credit to Ingram for getting across and making himself big. Still it was encouraging watching him last night. He looked a lot more like the guy we saw against the 'Canes in his first game, than the guy we saw just prior to his injury....

Saturday night's game is looking bigger and bigger....

• MillerTime 1

7 hours ago, Joshua.Guy said:

Mcdavid and Ekholm were playing injured and their goalies couldn't stop a beach ball. Fix those 3 things and that team is drastically different.

At the start of the year when the Canucks beat them two in a row - McDavid was healthy.

But you do make a fair point - injuries to key players can affect a team.  How should we weigh the loss of Demko?  Was in the vezina conversation as one of the best in the league... his replacement is a sub .900 goalie who is a career backup.  I think there are games where they rely on Demko a little too much, but he is part of the team and this is no different than other teams relying on their star player. Honestly - its why i dont get worked up too much over some of these losses, if he was in net  this whole time im speculating they would have had the division locked up.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I think we will be needing Myers come the playoffs. Juulsen is a good depth guy. He’s not top four. 

But if Tocchet is going to lineblend the D, and split 17 & 43, I'd rather see Juulsen with Huggy than Myers.  (Added bonus is that Hughes likes playing with Juulsen)

BTW, can we please give it a rest on complaining about the referees every single game? Honestly....it's like death and taxes....

Yes, calls are missed and yes, sometimes they go against us....but sometimes we're on the other end, like the obvious hook in the o-zone that Miller got away with.

The fact is, we had a penalty shot chance to win this game. It's just too bad that Hronek was the guy.....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I had band practice last night, so I wasn't able to watch the first two periods. It was pretty disappointing to see the team trailing 2-1 to the Coyotes and it got even worse when they went down 3-1 minutes later....

However, from that point on, the Canucks looked like the far superior team. The penalties against didn't seem to faze them at all and if there's one positive to take away other than the 2 goal comeback and the single point, it was the play of Lindy....

It would have been storybook, had he buried that chance late in regulation, but credit to Ingram for getting across and making himself big. Still it was encouraging watching him last night. He looked a lot more like the guy we saw against the 'Canes in his first game, than the guy we saw just prior to his injury....

Saturday night's game is looking bigger and bigger....

actually, we carried 95% of the play in the first 2 periods... we just fell into our bad habit of making their goalie look like George Vezina, or couldn't hit the net. 

• Cheers 2