[PGT] Utah (Arizona) @ Vancouver

Iron Man

8 minutes ago, KFAN said:

As much as I dislike McDavid, I do hope I get to see him live in Edmonton on Saturday, in part because I want to see Zadorov or Joshua lay some big hits on him. Also, of course he is a helluva hockey player, and dislike or not, I have to appreciate that.

I agree. We need McDavid to truly test our team before the playoffs.

Silov did make a key save when the score was 3-2 to keep it within 1. Its not always the number of saves you make but when you make it - goalie's task to keep it close and make the key save when score in doubt - not when it is 4-1 or 5-1.  Really did not have a chance on several other goals - the third one right in the slot and the OT pass going through the D.  Yes, he could be better but I have seen worse.

If they get first place in division great, but the team really will be judged by their performance in the playoffs - yes, EDM has been really good the last month in the half but we have not had Demmer for almost that same time - all and all, Canucks have been okay and have not really been badly outplayed - with some breakdowns in PK and D / goalie coverage being the culprits. 

In the playoffs - take your choice - LA tough D system / Nashville hot record since December / Vegas getting back Hertl Hanefin Stone.  Even if we get into the second round, there is EDM / COL/ DAL / WPG in the way - whoever we play will be a challenge but still do-able if we play our game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Silov did make a key save when the score was 3-2 to keep it within 1. Its not always the number of saves you make but when you make it - goalie's task to keep it close and make the key save when score in doubt - not when it is 4-1 or 5-1.  Really did not have a chance on several other goals - the third one right in the slot and the OT pass going through the D.  Yes, he could be better but I have seen worse.

If they get first place in division great, but the team really will be judged by their performance in the playoffs - yes, EDM has been really good the last month in the half but we have not had Demmer for almost that same time - all and all, Canucks have been okay and have not really been badly outplayed - with some breakdowns in PK and D / goalie coverage being the culprits. 

In the playoffs - take your choice - LA tough D system / Nashville hot record since December / Vegas getting back Hertl Hanefin Stone.  Even if we get into the second round, there is EDM / COL/ DAL / WPG in the way - whoever we play will be a challenge but still do-able if we play our game.

From my understanding we would play Edmonton/LAK/Vegas before facing Col/WPG/Dal. That wouldn't be until the 3rd round.

Regardless, I'd be tempted to play Desmith against the Oil if Demko has even a hint of soreness or if the yotes beat them on Friday. It's a tough ask to shake off the rust vs Drai and McD. Give Demko games 81 and 82.... but if he's ready, he's ready.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Canucks-12 said:

No if we lose to Edmonton they will be tied in points with a game in hand. 

Canucks have to win on Saturday 

Hard to believe that once upon a time we were 17 points up on them and no looking back - NOW THIS !

It goes to show you how derailed this team has become since the All Star Break / Lind-🏠 insertion when the team lost it's chemistry.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hard to believe that once upon a time we were 17 points up on them and no looking back - NOW THIS !

It goes to show you how derailed this team has become since the All Star Break / Lind-🏠 insertion when the team lost it's chemistry.

I think losing Demko was a bigger influence than acquiring lindholm. The Canucks won most of Lindholm's initial games.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think losing Demko was a bigger influence than acquiring lindholm. The Canucks won most of Lindholm's initial games.

Yup

Canucks have had below average goaltending 5v5 since Demko went down

Add in the PK (all situations goaltending save percentage) and their goaltending has been bottom 5 in the NHL.

If they have had above average goaltending - something that Demko is proven to provide - they would have the division locked up.

But yeah lets blame it on the trade of a guy who wasnt scoring here at the start of the year , his bubbly personality was driving the team i suppose.

Edit: have a look here, filter for >20 games played.  Demko ranks second in the NHL for Goals saved above expected, DeSmith ranks like 50th. Major impact:

https://moneypuck.com/goalies.htm

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Game was entertaining, particularly towards the end. I want to see Lindholm in the top 6. He looked really frickin' good tonight.

He had the worse Minus  -2 on the night.   Only Cole (of course) and BB6 had as bad stats.    Just saying.....just to keep facts/facts.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

We still have more points than the Avs

I think its less the canucks derailing (yes we havent been at out best) and more the oilers being on a heater. I mean they won what 16 games in a row at one point ?

Edited by Chicken.
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I agree losing Demko is likely the major reason but that happened a month after we fell apart, but playing EP40 injured (which is pretty obvious), overplaying QH and the Lind-🏠trade disruption of team chemistry, have all combined to aggravate and compound our woes.  Hopefully Demko is back and 100% and they can rest QH and even EP40/JTM for at least one game before the crunch.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

He had the worse Minus  -2 on the night.   Only Cole (of course) and BB6 had as bad stats.    Just saying.....just to keep facts/facts.

Using +/- as a serious stat in 2024 lol

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Pears said:

Using +/- as a serious stat in 2024 lol

That's interesting because it was "THE" factor that caused QH to turn around his game a few years ago early in his career when he finished the season at minus  -26 (if memory serves me) despite stellar offence and he stated that himself - on top that it also led to the expulsion of several players over the last few years including a number of notable defenceman like Gudbranson who was the had the worst +/- for a defenceman in the entire league that year and as a result was disected from the canucks team.

So it is very important  because you can score all the goals/assist you like but if you're letting in, or causing, more goals against than adding points when you're on the ice, it's gonna catch-up with you.

• Confused 2

25 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I think of all the derision sent my way when I was saying this all the way back at the end of Dec.  Now most of those same people are still doing it because that reality is breaking down the door and they need someone to lash out at

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Really don't care about individual game +/-. He specifically looked good. You implying he's to blame for both goals he was on for? 

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

I think of all the derision sent my way when I was saying this all the way back at the end of Dec.  Now most of those same people are still doing it because that reality is breaking down the door and they need someone to lash out at

Do you think that they would be in this position with Demko in net?  

If your gonna pat yourself on the back perhaps we should review your positions on Boeser and Miller while we are at it?

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Darius said:

Do you think that they would be in this position with Demko in net?  

If your gonna pat yourself on the back perhaps we should review your positions on Boeser and Miller while we are at it?

I do, yes.  

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Really don't care about individual game +/-. He specifically looked good. You implying he's to blame for both goals he was on for? 

Let me just quote Quinn Hughes in this report ( https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/as-playoff-hopes-vanish-canucks-hughes-shatters-long-standing-record/ )   

Hughes was minus-24 last year during the pandemic season, and that old-school statistic scalded the new-age player who vowed to be better defensively this season. He told Sportsnet in November that he "wouldn’t care if had zero points, as long as he didn’t get scored on"

So there you go!    This comes right from argueably the top Defenceman in the NHL - stating Plus/Minus COUNTS!

Nothing more need be said!

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I do, yes.  

unlikely

Canucks have received poor goaltending since demko went down.  Bottom 10 in save percentage 5v5 and Bottom 5 all situations.  DeSmith is ranked near the bottom in save percentage since he took over for Demko.  Meanwhile the team has been strong defensively and in generating high danger changes.  Its not realistic to think that a goalie that was top 2 in the NHL in expected goals saved above average would not have impacted the last 3 weeks with a couple more wins.  With a couple more wins we would have the division locked up.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Don't like the lines.  Miller needs to be on the first line. 

First or second doesn't matter as much. Toch will give the better line more ice time. What I don't like is Aman on that line.  I assume he's a placeholder for BB. 

So maybe BB back with JT, which I like. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Let me just quote Quinn Hughes in this report ( https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/as-playoff-hopes-vanish-canucks-hughes-shatters-long-standing-record/ )   

Hughes was minus-24 last year during the pandemic season, and that old-school statistic scalded the new-age player who vowed to be better defensively this season. He told Sportsnet in November that he "wouldn’t care if had zero points, as long as he didn’t get scored on"

So there you go!    This comes right from argueably the top Defenceman in the NHL - stating Plus/Minus COUNTS!

Nothing more need be said!

Yes because he is specifically referring to his +/- as the one and only reason he needed to improve defensively and not anything else like positioning or awareness...

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Don't like the lines.  Miller needs to be on the first line. 

Guess Tocchet doesn’t like Suter as a center.

Seems like the obvious move is to put Blueger with Joshua and Garland and have Lindholm center the second with Petey on wing with Miller or him. Suter centers the fourth.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Derailed? Not really. EDM went on a 17 game heater versus largely non-playoff teams. We could go 12-5 in that same span and they gain 10 points on us.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Derailed? Not really. EDM went on a 17 game heater versus largely non-playoff teams. We could go 12-5 in that same span and they gain 10 points on us.

As a matter of fact they only beat 3 good/playoff teams during that run, and they needed our Vezina calibre goalie getting hurt to close the gap. Not a single person should take them seriously. 

Edited by Pears
  • Cheers 1

If we had Demko these last several games we easily win 3 or so more games and would still be 10+ points in the lead of the division. With how difficult the Playoffs will be no matter what who really cares. Vegas, Nash, LA all tough as hell. Really going to be a grind to even get past the 1st round. But I bet the other teams have us right up there as tough opponents. Could go anyway really, we could win against anyone if we show up 100% . Elliot was saying how crazy and even the Playoffs are this year literally could see any of the teams making a case to make it to the finals. Of course there's some slight favorites Avs, Florida, Dallas probably my top 3 picks if I was to bet. But I mean we're up there too. In it to win it! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1