[PGT] Utah (Arizona) @ Vancouver

Iron Man

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Two quibbles. One being the league will have an issue with it.

80 games vs 82, the NHL will not agree to that. Unless there's more pre-season games to offset the revenue.

Number 2, 8 games vs. Calgary, Edmonton and Seattle? You would get tired of seeing 4 games, let alone 8.

Travel wise, and historical rival wise it adds up.

Certainly an interesting option.

Losing  one home game is not a big deal if the percent is same for players/owner contract.   Probably a million dollars and I certain don't mind seeing our rival again.  I mean, it is what makes a fan love the game is the rivalry match-up and plus the playoffs.  13 potential games over a year, guaranteed makes the league great again.   Seeing Oilers/Flames/Kraken with just 3-4 games each is leaving us wanting more games against them.   Also with increased divisional games, will help to start the season at home or nearby for road games to start would be the most optimal rather than opening up 5 games road trip to start the season is always tough on us.  If you start badly, season is over before you even have a home game and playing catch-up hockey which is tough on us in last 5 seasons before this season.

Here is my version of pros/cons of the new format:

Pro:

-Reduced overall travels for the Canucks and other western teams would be fresher come playoff time.  It has profound effect for western teams more rest, staying within their regions will be huge, no extra travel across the North America, you save one extra trip to Chicago, for example rather than two games like we did this past season with just 1 game.  Next season, we would have to travel to Winnipeg, Dallas, St. Louis, and Arizona/Utah twice according to schedule rotation.  Under current format, you travel 28 road trips that is 2/3 time zones away.  When you adopt this format, you reduce the road games by 4 to just 24 road games and that will be huge for us.  Eliminate the north-south road trip in the same time zone, still feeling like you are travelling from west to east but half of the distance.  The eastern teams doesn't travel north/south that much and what even more advantageous is that they don't even travel two time zone away with just 10 road games on an annual basis and even if we adopt that new format, it remains unchanged for the Eastern teams.  They travel north/south just twice a year while the Canucks has to make one extra trip to 3 -4 times a year. Adding a lot of mileage.

-Focus on division, win the division, you would have made the final 8 with variety match-up, potential against East teams and forcing the eastern teams to travel in the playoffs before they make the Cup Final.  No guaranteed that any team from the East make the final.  Potential all-Western Stanley Cup final.  Imagine Canucks vs the Kings in the final.    Adopt the 2-3-2 format.  No teams will have any advantage for final 8 playoffs.

-Balanced schedule that made sense, with focus on division for the 1/3 of the season.

-Energy wise for Canucks and the west would be higher with the new format than the current format would have been.  Whoever in the East comes out of the Eastern Conference Final will always have the higher energy-wise when it comes to the Final match-up and have lots of advantage so new format will knock them down the notch.

-For playoffs:  eliminate whatever advantage that the Eastern teams have in the playoffs, forcing them out of their time zone early, staying in Eastern time zone for 1.5 months of the playoffs while western teams don't have that benefit.

- The 2-3-2 format prevents any such advantage for all teams, even if Eastern teams meet any eastern team in a final 8 series, you don't gain any advantage, you got to earn the momentum back if a team split the first two games of any series.  Lots of consideration involved in that when it comes to unpredictable variety match-up for final 8.

Con:

-Seeing same team in same division over and over. 

- For playoffs: teams might feast on weaker division but with one drawback, if you have a bad non-division record when compared to other final 8 teams and you would still be able to grab the home ice advantage if you choose to keep the highest points with home ice advantage throughout the playoffs, not throwing out the divisional regular season record.

-If you keep the 2-2-1-1-1 for final 8 with variety match-ups, you still have home ice advantage protection for game 5/7.  This will lead to lot of travel for every teams.  Teams would earn the home-ice advantage undeservedly.

I cannot think of any more cons points so to recap, we have 6 pros and 3 cons.  You could easily have 3 pro and 6 cons if you want to keep 8 teams division/2 conference format.

52 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Reading latest news on Demko - it seems like a big problem to start Demko cold in a pivotal game against Edmonton. Canucks are playing .500 hockey and need to win the Saturday, so can Demko play at least as well or better than DeSmith when he's been sitting for a month?

I find it VERY concerning that our no#1 goalie has been out a month and is expected to come in cold and play in a 1st round playoff series. Demko may be good, but he's not taking a few days off and then playing a regular season game, hes taking a month off *and* entering at a playoff pace.

Anyone concerned that Demko won't play in the 1st game and we start with a 0-1 hole in a playoff series? Or worse, Demko doesn't start games 1-2 and is expected to start cold in game 3 of a series. 

If Demko has had to miss a month of games, and possibly cost us the Division, then the injury must have been very serious. How can a goalie go from a very serious injury to starting a playoff series cold??

I don't see how we win with our backups, based on their regular season play and the .500 hockey being played in front of them.

Demko says he'll be ready for Calgary for sure. Maybe Edmonton but I hope he rests for one more, so no worries at all for game one.

To be honest I'm not that concerned with the layoff for him. It's actually nice that he'll be rested and fresh. He wouldn't be the first player or goalie to come in right before the playoffs and just pick it right up.

I think Hill came in cold for Vegas in the playoffs last year and played very well. I'm far more concerned about stuff like special teams.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

DeSmith was fine when he was the backup. And took some of the load off of Demko.

However at this point Silovs and DeSmith look like they can't handle the starters load.

The team long term needs to find goalie prospects that can turn into starters.

Because if early in the next season Demko gets a serious injury, at this juncture you'd probably write off any hopes of making the playoffs.

Well Silovs has only played 9 NHL games and is 6-2-1 with a 2.62 ga and 898 sv %. He is developing nicely. Might not be ready for backup duties yet, that’s why we got DeSmith. It’s hard for any team to have a 1a/1b situation where either goalie can handle a heavier work load. We were lucky to have that with Luongo/Schnieder when we did.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Reading latest news on Demko - it seems like a big problem to start Demko cold in a pivotal game against Edmonton. Canucks are playing .500 hockey and need to win the Saturday, so can Demko play at least as well or better than DeSmith when he's been sitting for a month?

I find it VERY concerning that our no#1 goalie has been out a month and is expected to come in cold and play in a 1st round playoff series. Demko may be good, but he's not taking a few days off and then playing a regular season game, hes taking a month off *and* entering at a playoff pace.

Anyone concerned that Demko won't play in the 1st game and we start with a 0-1 hole in a playoff series? Or worse, Demko doesn't start games 1-2 and is expected to start cold in game 3 of a series. 

If Demko has had to miss a month of games, and possibly cost us the Division, then the injury must have been very serious. How can a goalie go from a very serious injury to starting a playoff series cold??

I don't see how we win with our backups, based on their regular season play and the .500 hockey being played in front of them.

I would argue it doesn’t take a Vezina calibre goalie several games to get back in the groove. He is healthy. You worry too much.

I hope Demmer can get in before the playoffs. Dont care if he plays well or not as long as he is fully healthy. 

Get some game action to warm up for when it matters. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

I would be very surprised if that Miller line is together come game time.

Suter-Miller-Boeser have played together lots and done well. Aman is just spot filler for Boeser who’s having a maintenance day. 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, NucksNation said:

Suter-Miller-Boeser have played together lots and done well. Aman is just spot filler for Boeser who’s having a maintenance day. 

I really like Lindholm as the 3C, but we should just go with what works:

Höglander - Lindholm - Pettersson

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Podkolzin - Lafferty - Mikheyev

I do think in the end we'll run Petey-Miller-Lindholm-Blueger down the middle though. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Taking garland out of the top is not a good plan, imo

I think Garland and Hoglander both made the bottom six actually worth their ice time though. Lately they've been a non factor, especially offensive production. With Lindholm back give us the best spread through the top 3 lines

33 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Then you are delusional.

Why, he couldn't stop the slide on November and he couldn't stop the slide after the all star game.  Goalies can only do so much 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Hopefully they work on how to stop cross crease passes today in practice.

Leg extended with your stick down on the ice.

Thats one area where we miss Tanev. He was really good at making sure those didn’t get through.

I agree - I noticed our guys missing those back door passes around the same time that DeSmith had to take the reins when Demko went down. Best to eliminate those passing lanes regardless of who is in net. 

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why, he couldn't stop the slide on November and he couldn't stop the slide after the all star game.  Goalies can only do so much 

Irrelavent. The point is that there were specific games recently that we were much likely to win with Demko. No gurantee of course. A division title discussion woukd be a moot point.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Is 9-6-0 really a slide though? No more than two consecutive losses?

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

This isn’t going to be an excuse that the team or the fans can fall back on once the playoffs begin. 

My bad. Didn't realize the NHL suddenly got less biased reffing in the playoffs /s - As if I didn't watch the Canucks vs Boston series or Canucks vs SJ series in 2013, or any of our series VS Chicago in those years. Extremely biased officiating

Edited by Psycho_Path

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

Like steal games

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

Like steal games

when Demko does that, Stawns then says the team didn't deserve to win because its unsustainable. It doesn't matter, Walking Cloud looks for the downside in any Canucks situation. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

when Demko does that, Stawns then says the team didn't deserve to win because its unsustainable. It doesn't matter, Walking Cloud looks for the downside in any Canucks situation. 

I’ve heard these arguments before.  When McDavid saves the oilers night after night is it really different than Demko stealing a game. Does it count less  because he is a goalie? 

i saw Roy absolutely steal a cup in 1993. That year Montreal won the cup on his back. He shut the door on absurd number of OT games where the habs were outplayed.  Nobody cares who the hero was today. 

Maybe I’m Looking at it wrong? (Honestly) 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

4 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

He does.  But he doesn't generate a good pp. 

So you don’t think the guys play with more confidence and are more aggressive on the pp with Demko in net? A great goalie, which Demko clearly is, affects all aspects of a team’s play, including the pp. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • MillerTime 1