[PGT] Utah (Arizona) @ Vancouver

Iron Man

40 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah I just mean having the Joshua Blueger Garland line as the 3rd and when we had Hoglander on the 4th the bottom 6 actually scored. They've dried up drastically since they both moved up lines. 

I get you. I don’t know if that Joshua/Blueger/Garland line will find the chemistry they had again.

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why is it irrelevant?  If his efforts couldn't stop a slide those times, what makes you think he suddenly would have now?

They are not in a slide. I think the difference this time IS goaltending. The team as a whole was not playing well then. NOW it seams the team is playing well but sub par goaltending is not getting them over the hump. That is why I think he could be the difference NOW. 

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

I get you. I don’t know if that Joshua/Blueger/Garland line will find the chemistry they had again.

Possibly, but I think it's likely. The coach won't stop talking about spreading out the lines too, that's when we had the best lines was 

Mikheyev Petey (Kuz) 

Suter Miller Boeser

Joshua Blueger Garland 

PDG Aman Lafferty 

10 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Oh really? I don’t think I saw another Canuck jump on the ice though. It remained 4 on 3 until the goal.

No Boeser came back onto the ice when his penalty expired, but they scored just as he got back into the D zone

49 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

What slides? 48 wins so far is a problem for you?

For folks thinking Demko is going to save us needs to look at the bigger picture of how we've played PRE and POST All Star break.

Canucks were 33-11-5 between October 1, 2023 and February 4, 2024 ( .673 ) PRE All Star break and 15-11-4 between February 1, 2024 and April 10, 2024 ( .500 ) POST All Star break - that is a BIG slide.

They won twice as many games while losing the same amount of games PRE vs POST All Star break.

Since the All Star break, we've been a .500 hockey team regardless of whether we had Demko in net or not. 

• In the 17 games AFTER the All Star break and BEFORE Demko was injured. 6-7-2-1 record between February 8, 2004 and March 13, 2004
  • In the 13 games he's missed. 6-5-2 record between March 13, 2024 and April 10, 2024

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/canucks-record-between-mar-13-and-apr-10th-2024 )

(https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/winning-percentage )

NOTE: Demko missed his 13th straight game Wednesday against Arizona, but it's looking increasingly likely that he'll participate in a regular-season contest or two before the playoffs get underway. He's gone 34-13-2 while posting a 2.47 GAA and a .917 save percentage through 49 appearances this campaign ( https://www.rotowire.com/hockey/player/thatcher-demko-4410 ) 

Edited by AnotherCanucksFan

6 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

For folks thinking Demko is going to save us needs to look at the bigger picture of how we've played PRE and POST All Star break.

Canucks were 33-11-5 between October 1, 2023 and February 4, 2024 ( .673 ) PRE All Star break and 15-11-4 between February 1, 2024 and April 10, 2024 ( .500 ) POST All Star break - that is a BIG slide.

They won twice as many games while losing the same amount of games PRE vs POST All Star break.

Since the All Star break, we've been a .500 hockey team regardless of whether we had Demko in net or not. 

• In the 17 games AFTER the All Star break and BEFORE Demko was injured. 6-7-2-1 record between February 8, 2004 and March 13, 2004
  • In the 13 games he's missed. 6-5-2 record between March 13, 2024 and April 10, 2024

NOTE: Demko missed his 13th straight game Wednesday against Arizona, but it's looking increasingly likely that he'll participate in a regular-season contest or two before the playoffs get underway. He's gone 34-13-2 while posting a 2.47 GAA and a .917 save percentage through 49 appearances this campaign ( https://www.rotowire.com/hockey/player/thatcher-demko-4410 ) 

And also to note all the analytics say the Canucks have done a better job control high danger shit attempts etc post all star break compared to pre.. they won a lot of games they were out played early on. Now that they are playing a more structured game they aren't winning. They were talking about it a lot on 650 the last few games 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zodiak said:

Need willander and petterson on d to force out myers and Cole.  Seems like Cole and Soucy have slowed down to become third paring d. Myers always has been third pair

Cole shouldn't be in the lineup with a healthy roster and soucy has really not been good in the last couple of weeks.  Both zads and Myers are playing well

2 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

And also to note all the analytics say the Canucks have done a better job control high danger shit attempts etc post all star break compared to pre.. they won a lot of games they were out played early on. Now that they are playing a more structured game they aren't winning. They were talking about it a lot on 650 the last few games 

Yeah I haven't dug deeper on why their scoring dropped. My guess would be losing Joshua really caused havoc to all the Canuck's lines. Now they have Joshua back, but were missing Lindholm. Will having Lindholm and Joshua back help put the balance back in the Canuck's lines resulting in more goals.

The Speciality teams were winning us games and that aspect has caused us more problems. PKs that's gone down to 19th and PP is struggling ( but looks better just not scoring enough yet )

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

But I thought Tocchet sucked as a coach cause Taylor Hall had a bad year with a shitty Coyotes team? Right @CanucksCountry

Would be at the top of the list with a better coach. Hughes has shined under any coach he has been under. can't praise a coach because a superstar player is having a superstar year. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

VAN vs Contenders/playoff teams

vs EDM 3-0-0

vs VGK 2-2-0

vs LAK 1-3-0

vs NSH 3-0-0

vs DAL 1-1-1 (outscored DAL 6-2 at 5v5)

vs COL 0-2-1

vs WPG 1-1-1 (outscored WPG 6-2 at 5v5)

vs TBL 1-1-0

vs FLA 2-0-0

vs NYR 1-0-1 (that OTL was bullshit with the blatant non-call)

vs TOR 1-1-0

vs NYI 2-0-0

vs CAR 2-0-0

vs BOS 1-1-0

PIT DET and WSH are still sorting out that final spot.

VAN vs legit playoff teams and contenders 21-12-4

I think the Coyotes team were seeing now, is a playoff team. I've said before that with the draft picks they have been compiling, they are going to be a powerhouse in a couple of years, wherever they wind up playing. 

My concern extends to the fact that we've only beaten one Playoff team (Vegas) in the last month.

Really hope they can regain their focus quickly, they have too many guys not playing at the right level at the moment. Saturday will be a real benchmark game for us.

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Possibly, but I think it's likely. The coach won't stop talking about spreading out the lines too, that's when we had the best lines was 

Mikheyev Petey (Kuz) 

Suter Miller Boeser

Joshua Blueger Garland 

PDG Aman Lafferty 

Ya I suppose. Where does Lindholm fit?

1 hour ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Mikheyev Petey (Kuz) 

Suter Miller Boeser

Joshua Blueger Garland 

PDG Aman Lafferty 

Hoglander?

55 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl/ask/canucks-record-between-mar-13-and-apr-10th-2024 )

January was solid hockey and then February was a disaster, for sure.  The team had their mojo

and were playing very good hockey.   I think the all-star break was enough to interrupt their chemistry,

which, in turn, allowed doubt to sneak in and steel their confidence.  Feb was a write off.

March started out with 4 consecutive wins, and then Demko was i njured. Since then, the team

has floundered with 6wins/7losses in 13 games; several of which many people would argue that

the team played well, but the goaltending was not good enough.

Imo, the team would have had several more W if Demko had been the netminder.

How they perform in the playoffs remains to be seen, but I will be cheering them

all the way. Play the best they can and let the cards fall where they may.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

But it's true, you hunt for the downside constantly. 

I think it's the coach in him. If you're looking to get better you focus on things you're doing wrong. You don't waste your time patting yourself on the back for what you're doing right. There is a time and place for it, like building up your players, but the thought process  itself is pedestrian. In that sense I get it, hyper focused on being the best. No participation badges at this level.

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

But it's true, you hunt for the downside constantly. 

That's such bullshit.  When everyone was dog piling on this team for two years, I was one of the very few who said with a decent coach, this was a playoff team.  When everyone was calling for Myers head (including this year), I was one of the few who said with team structure, we'd see myers bounce back (same with oel).  When they dealt bo, even though I didn't like it, I was one of the few telling raty was a real gem.  When they dealt the Isles first, I was one of the few who said they just got Detroit's #1 dman, I was also one of the few who said they should be playing Hughes and hronek together.

You just see what you want to see and have some weird need to have a villain to soothe your own insecurities about the team.

This team isn't perfect, they have many cracks and they are at the start of their window.........there's nothing negative about discussing that. 

You just want some strange Canucks circle jerk and that's fine, but don't run other people down for not participating in that.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think it's the coach in him. If you're looking to get better you focus on things you're doing wrong. You don't waste your time patting yourself on the back for what you're doing right. There is a time and place for it, like building up your players, but the thought process  itself is pedestrian. In that sense I get it, hyper focused on being the best. No participation badges at this level.

And teacher as well.......im trained for assessment without emotion based on what I observe.  If someone perceived that as negative, that's their issue, not mine.

3 hours ago, Captkirk888 said:

Ya I suppose. Where does Lindholm fit?

Not sure yet but my buddy Toch seems to think with Joshua and Garland haha

He's a good passer should be put with a shooter. Not Mikheyev imo

Edited by Rick_theRyper
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

That's such bullshit.  When everyone was dog piling on this team for two years, I was one of the very few who said with a decent coach, this was a playoff team.  When everyone was calling for Myers head (including this year), I was one of the few who said with team structure, we'd see myers bounce back (same with oel).  When they dealt bo, even though I didn't like it, I was one of the few telling raty was a real gem.  When they dealt the Isles first, I was one of the few who said they just got Detroit's #1 dman, I was also one of the few who said they should be playing Hughes and hronek together.

You just see what you want to see and have some weird need to have a villain to soothe your own insecurities about the team.

This team isn't perfect, they have many cracks and they are at the start of their window.........there's nothing negative about discussing that. 

You just want some strange Canucks circle jerk and that's fine, but don't run other people down for not participating in that.

That's funny, you run down people on here all the time 

• ThereItIs 2

On 4/11/2024 at 2:21 AM, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Anyone know why Canucks are playing Silovs over DeSmith? 

Anyone know why Demko isn't playing in a game yet? How many games has he missed at this point? Anyone concerned that it will be very hard for him to jump into a playoff game without playing for a month?

The Canucks need to look themselves the mirror and look at the cold hard reality of their pre and post All Star game stats. When the All Star break happened, fans and critics were saying that it was time to consider the Canucks a legitimate playoff contender team. Over the first 49 games Canucks were a .673 team, but over the last 30 games Canucks have been a .500 team. How did we drop by almost 18%? What happened between pre and post All Star game to turn us from a playoff contender to an average team. Had we played the way we've played over a full season, we'd not be in the playoffs, so can we find our Pre All Star swagger or have we just settled to our true level now? 

https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/winning-percentage

Can we change our trajectory or will Oilers just keeping moving up while we keep moving down as the trajectories have been since the All Star break?

I'd imagine the Canucks will be tight and the Oilers will be lose, because both teams had very different post All Star game trajectories. We've been around a .500 hockey team for about 30 games and Edmonton has been a .600 team since the All Star break.

Edmonton Oilers

• 18-15-1 record between October 1, 2023 and January 1, 2024
  • 29-15-1 between October 1, 2023 and February 4, 2024
  • 30-9-4 since January 1, 2024
  • 19-9-4 since February 4, 2024

image.png.7225af25135441490ba8f6f99b0a20aa.png

Canucks

• 23-10-3 record between October 1, 2023 and January 1, 2024
  • 33-11-5 between October 1, 2023 and February 4, 2024
  • 25-12-6 record since January 1, 2024
  • 15-11-4 record since February 4, 2024

image.png.28362985c4e8ba1add9ee44ea170c511.png

https://www.statmuse.com/nhl

Interesting take.   So...the best team in the league since Feb 4,  has won a shocking 9.38% more games then we have ? (pretty sure it's actually Dallas or NYR but too lazy to check, the way some folks keep going on about the Oilers though ... their winning streak was in January...in the rearview mirror now, the same way our winningest part of the year is too).  Or if you just look at the numbers, 4 more games out of 30...And our murderously mediocre 15 wins in the last 30 games ... the way some fans have been jerking off to the Oilers comeback, makes one wonder/question allegiance's (not you). 

For those that have been watching the games,  we lost quite a few games where goaltending was the difference.   Last year without Demko we stunk.   This year without Demko, we are still a playoff team.   41 out of 60 points isn't crap.    And that's our worst stretch.   As for the Oilers, they've cooled down as well.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, stawns said:

And teacher as well.......im trained for assessment without emotion based on what I observe.  If someone perceived that as negative, that's their issue, not mine.

As a teacher, how would you assess this then?   These are the leagues best regular season teams.   Right now we are in sixth place, how many of these teams, are playing without their star goalie?    How many of those teams have a star goalie.   One team looks to be going in on a "high note", yet still 5-4-1. 

Edit:  As for overall points, not a fan of 3 point games.   They scew standings and hide a lot of warts.   Boston.   They'd be closer to mediocre then "one of the best"  under the old system, that ranks only team play, not 3 x 3 (which rarely happens in a normal game and especially playoffs), and that gimmick that we adopted from Europe.   Re-calculate the standings based on that it also tells a different story.    Regulation wins are the first tie breaker in a full season.   For a reason. 

IMG_3924.png

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As a teacher, how would you assess this then?   These are the leagues best regular season teams.   Right now we are in sixth place, how many of these teams, are playing without their star goalie?    How many of those teams have a star goalie.   One team looks to be going in on a "high note", yet still 5-4-1. 

IMG_3924.png

As I've said all along..........they're a team who is probably a wild card or 3rd division spot team who has had two amazing stretches of hockey this season where they have vastly overachieved and that put them where they are.  For the most part they work hard and play pretty sound defensive hockey on most nights.

During their two main stretches of outstanding hockey, everything was going right and everyone was playing significantly over their usual output levels and, as a team, they did a great job making hay during those times.  

However, as we go to the second half of the season and the schedule got harder and teams tightened up, we saw them come back to who they likely are.  Fortunately they built up enough capital in the first half to mostly mitigate that return to the norm and secure home ice for the first round.

As far as experience goes, they are an immature team that needs to learn how to win consistently and playing with real congidence, like the true contenders do.  And you do that with good coaching and experience..........experience in big games, experience with trying, failing and trying again and experiencing all that together.

There's plenty of cracks on this team, and I'm hoping for a good matchup in the playoffs because winning a round would go a long way in pushing this team forward.  It's unfortunate that it's looking like it might be LA in the first round, however.

• Haha 1