[PGT] Utah (Arizona) @ Vancouver

Iron Man

12 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think the Coyotes team were seeing now, is a playoff team. I've said before that with the draft picks they have been compiling, they are going to be a powerhouse in a couple of years, wherever they wind up playing. 

My concern extends to the fact that we've only beaten one Playoff team (Vegas) in the last month.

Really hope they can regain their focus quickly, they have too many guys not playing at the right level at the moment. Saturday will be a real benchmark game for us.

are you counting the coyotes as a playoff team? Or are you actually counting real playoff teams?

9 hours ago, stawns said:

That's such bullshit.  When everyone was dog piling on this team for two years, I was one of the very few who said with a decent coach, this was a playoff team.  When everyone was calling for Myers head (including this year), I was one of the few who said with team structure, we'd see myers bounce back (same with oel).  When they dealt bo, even though I didn't like it, I was one of the few telling raty was a real gem.  When they dealt the Isles first, I was one of the few who said they just got Detroit's #1 dman, I was also one of the few who said they should be playing Hughes and hronek together.

You just see what you want to see and have some weird need to have a villain to soothe your own insecurities about the team.

This team isn't perfect, they have many cracks and they are at the start of their window.........there's nothing negative about discussing that. 

You just want some strange Canucks circle jerk and that's fine, but don't run other people down for not participating in that.

I gave you a like because the points you made about your self are true (first paragraph) and I like that you stand your ground. You seem to be a no bs guy. This, I believe, puts some people off. No offence, but at times your posts can be taken as condescending and an bit antagonistic. This may or may not be your intent.

Everyone should have a voice here no matter if it is popular or not. I try not to get too riled up by what I read here but we all have emotions and some wear them on their sleeve.

Even though I disagree with a number of your opinions, I still enjoy reading them and the personality that comes through.

As I do with most everyone on here, including the strange fellow who sent me a pm saying ‘U r a WIENER’ unsolicited and with no explanation.

All good stuff on which I have enjoyed wasting a copious number of hours.

Keep being you. Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I have been saying this core is one of the best in the league for a couple years now.

We have all the parts needed, at the right age.

I even knew that JT Miller would turn into one of the best all round leaders our team has ever had. I have the receipts to prove it.

Some on here thought they knew a leader when they see one and claimed JT was not. 

Some of those people claim that they have the life experiences to make such judgements. 

Some of those people were wrong and should wind their neck in. 

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

13 hours ago, CanucksCountry said:

Would be at the top of the list with a better coach. Hughes has shined under any coach he has been under. can't praise a coach because a superstar player is having a superstar year. 

I don’t know the whole convo between you and @canuck73_3, but a team has more than one player to coach.
How about praising a coach who took a talented team playing at sub .500 hockey to play at a 600+ level over the last 1.5 seasons?
Do you think Boudreau or Green could have done this? Or maybe you think any other coach thrown in there could?

Tocchet  has managed to get a full buy-in and the confidence of this team so that they can play to their abilities. That is a good coach.

Who do you suggest would have been better for the Canucks?

• Cheers 2

• Jess unpinned and unfeatured this topic
1 hour ago, stawns said:

As I've said all along..........they're a team who is probably a wild card or 3rd division spot team who has had two amazing stretches of hockey this season where they have vastly overachieved and that put them where they are.  For the most part they work hard and play pretty sound defensive hockey on most nights.

During their two main stretches of outstanding hockey, everything was going right and everyone was playing significantly over their usual output levels and, as a team, they did a great job making hay during those times.  

However, as we go to the second half of the season and the schedule got harder and teams tightened up, we saw them come back to who they likely are.  Fortunately they built up enough capital in the first half to mostly mitigate that return to the norm and secure home ice for the first round.

As far as experience goes, they are an immature team that needs to learn how to win consistently and playing with real congidence, like the true contenders do.  And you do that with good coaching and experience..........experience in big games, experience with trying, failing and trying again and experiencing all that together.

There's plenty of cracks on this team, and I'm hoping for a good matchup in the playoffs because winning a round would go a long way in pushing this team forward.  It's unfortunate that it's looking like it might be LA in the first round, however.

I won’t get so picky on the usage of common terms.

We have overachieved in the sense, even if we lose the division to the Oilers, we have exceeded what where reasonable expectations of this team. 
We keep calling ourselves a young team but we aren’t really, we have a lot of Vets we are paying a lot of money.

Absolutely the season is different at the beginning, through the grind in the middle and near the end. We have feasted on complacent teams late in the season the last 2 seasons, it was just our starts were so bad it didn’t matter. 
Rightfully Tocch said this team needs to start good and actually managed to get them too.  It is exceedingly rare though that a team can play at that kind of pace all year and playoffs, look what happened to Boston and NJ last year. 
We came out of ASB lackadaisical and hit a couple key injuries, teams also adjusted to us and the good teams started hitting their stride. No longer is it a slate of backup goalies and teams not taking us seriously, Calgary gets those now. 
Structurally I like the look at the team much better. Outside of our small skill guys we are mostly huge, fast and more physical, especially on D. We play a better, structured system and have all the key pieces. Goalie check, centre depth check, size and depth on D with a true dominant number one D man, check.  We are a little thin on top 6 wingers and our special teams are going to make winning a first round series tough because the refs like to show they will call everything early before they predictably stop calling anything in the third round. 
The trick isn’t to be good 82/82 games and all the way to the cup. The key is to be your best in the playoffs, quickly put aside the nights you are not and win 4 out of every 7.  We haven’t shown we aren’t ready for the playoffs, we won’t know for another couple weeks whether Tocch has them firing for the playoffs but we are getting healthy at the right time. 
I just hope we can put in the work to finish off the division, I really don’t want LA first round when the refs call everything, I am happy with any other team other than LA and Dallas. 

Edited by DrJockitch

1 hour ago, stawns said:

As I've said all along..........they're a team who is probably a wild card or 3rd division spot team who has had two amazing stretches of hockey this season where they have vastly overachieved and that put them where they are.  For the most part they work hard and play pretty sound defensive hockey on most nights.

During their two main stretches of outstanding hockey, everything was going right and everyone was playing significantly over their usual output levels and, as a team, they did a great job making hay during those times.  

However, as we go to the second half of the season and the schedule got harder and teams tightened up, we saw them come back to who they likely are.  Fortunately they built up enough capital in the first half to mostly mitigate that return to the norm and secure home ice for the first round.

As far as experience goes, they are an immature team that needs to learn how to win consistently and playing with real congidence, like the true contenders do.  And you do that with good coaching and experience..........experience in big games, experience with trying, failing and trying again and experiencing all that together.

There's plenty of cracks on this team, and I'm hoping for a good matchup in the playoffs because winning a round would go a long way in pushing this team forward.  It's unfortunate that it's looking like it might be LA in the first round, however.

LA in the first round would mean that Oiler wins the Division

Even though NSH seems to be a tougher  opponent I would still prefer playing them in the first round.

I think we match better against NSH and, in addition, we’ll get that divisional banner.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Schedule was harder at the start of the year.   During one of those "winning steaks".     It's been like that all season with some posters (biggest game of the year!  well now it's Saturday, good thing we beat down on the Oilers when we did, those were good games, so was TB, and when Point complimented the team and said we have all the pieces for a championship team .. short memory's I guess, or when Gretzky said "this team can go far as they believe they can go " etc.)    Trying to find the faults and not seeing the good.   Aside from Dallas, and maybe NYR, can't think of any other team that hasn't had the exact same thing happen to them.   

Could it be just so simple as Demko going down.   And exhaustion from those condensed parts?    They did enough for me anyways, to give some credit where it's due.   

For years the obvious was stated at some point.   That we weren't going to make the playoffs.    Maybe this core is maturing, and just maybe we are also pretty good too.   

Edit:  Tochett made me a believer.    This team wasn't the same one we had a year ago not even close.   Aside from QHs ... completely overhauled the D core.     Oh and Myers ... who like you, didn't think he was nearly as bad either.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • MillerTime 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Schedule was harder at the start of the year.   During one of those "winning steaks".     It's been like that all season with some posters (biggest game of the year!  well now it's Saturday, good thing we beat down on the Oilers when we did, those were good games, so was TB, and when Point complimented the team and said we have all the pieces for a championship team .. short memory's I guess, or when Gretzky said "this team can go far as they believe they can go " etc.)    Trying to find the faults and not seeing the good.   Aside from Dallas, and maybe NYR, can't think of any other team that hasn't had the exact same thing happen to them.   

Could it be just so simple as Demko going down.   And exhaustion from those condensed parts?    They did enough for me anyways, to give some credit where it's due.   

For years the obvious was stated at some point.   That we weren't going to make the playoffs.    Maybe this core is maturing, and just maybe we are also pretty good too.   

At the start of the season, everyone was lamenting the back 9 of the schedule.......with good reason.  That was proven to be true.

Losing Demko has had an effect, none bigger than exposing the very real cracks in this team. Bottom line is that Demko can't score goals and that is easily the single biggest issue 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

I have been saying this core is one of the best in the league for a couple years now.

We have all the parts needed, at the right age.

I even knew that JT Miller would turn into one of the best all round leaders our team has ever had. I have the receipts to prove it.

Some on here thought they knew a leader when they see one and claimed JT was not. 

Some of those people claim that they have the life experiences to make such judgements. 

Some of those people were wrong and should wind their neck in. 

when this team executes to their ability, they have as good a chance as anyone. I think thats as far as any predictions can really go, there's so much luck that plays into playoff success, including injures. 

Hockey can be a real star f***er league, so many people fawn over McDavid e.g., I think it gives some a feeling of superiority to align with that. 

Playoff Miller might be "that guy" that carries a team. Or maybe not. We'll find out, but none of the wet blanket "objective" yappers on here know anything more than anyone else. 

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 2

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

At the start of the season, everyone was lamenting the back 9 of the schedule.......with good reason.  That was proven to be true.

Losing Demko has had an effect, none bigger than exposing the very real cracks in this team. Bottom line is that Demko can't score goals and that is easily the single biggest issue 

Whose everyone?   Didn't we play most of our back-backs already, condensed parts, and aside from a series against Vegas that looked important, to a lesser degree LA we had the biggest homestand of the year as well in there.    You can look at any segments of the schedule and find tough teams in there.    The start of the year was crucial, and we pulled it off.   Away for a lot of it.  It was also brought up.     And talked about.  Then it was the next one and then the next one.    Nobody predicted we'd have such a great start, or that we'd go how many games was it protecting a 3rd period lead?  

Short term memory is important in this game.   Don't feel like it was all a mirage.   And the team we've seen since the All-Star game is the "real team".  

Edit:  Believe it was something like 30 wins.   And the "rough patch " was win a game lose a game win a game lose a game.   Then another heater.   To the all-star game more or less.   Since then not so good.   We aren't playing back-up goalies in nothing games down the stretch anymore playing spoilers.   Teams are putting their best foot forward against us, and have since November.   Huge difference then the Bruce Bump. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Whose everyone?   Didn't we play most of our back-backs already, condensed parts, and aside from a series against Vegas that looked important, to a lesser degree LA we had the biggest homestand of the year as well in there.    You can look at any segments of the schedule and find tough teams in there.    The start of the year was crucial, and we pulled it off.   Away for a lot of it.  It was also brought up.     And talked about.  Then it was the next one and then the next one.    Nobody predicted we'd have such a great start, or that we'd go how many games was it protecting a 3rd period lead?  

Short term memory is important in this game.   Don't feel like it was all a mirage.   And the team we've seen since the All-Star game is the "real team".  

The start absolutely was crucial, but the back half had much stiffer competition and we all know top teams tighten up after the all star break.

There were many discussions about how tough the schedule was going to be after the all star break.

25 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We aren't playing back-up goalies in nothing games down the stretch anymore playing spoilers.   Teams are putting their best foot forward against us, and have since November.   Huge difference then the Bruce Bump. 

bingo.

Watching AZ reminded me of watching us for the last 8 years, playing great and losing lotto odds. 

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Sorry Stawns, that to me is a dumb statement. Demko’s job is stop goals and I contend that our record this past 13 games were be substantially better if he were there stopping those goals.

Shhh... he will just ignore the fact since Demko went down, in 13 games, the Canucks have a 3.00 GAA and 0.890 SV%.

Demko's GAA:  2.47 GAA

Demko's SV%:  0.917%

Nope, Demko wouldn't make a difference at all.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Sorry Stawns, that to me is a dumb statement. Demko’s job is stop goals and I contend that our record this past 13 games were be substantially better if he were there stopping those goals.

Defense isn't this teams issue, scoring is.  Even without demjo, they've managed to keep goals against reasonably low.  They are a good possession team, just not a good scoring team

That's why it's important that they don't play LA in the first round, LA can suffocate the Canucks.  Against Nashville and Vegas they can at least play a more open style and get a lot of chances 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Shhh... he will just ignore the fact since Demko went down, in 13 games, the Canucks have a 3.00 GAA and 0.890 SV%.

Demko's GAA:  2.47 GAA

Demko's SV%:  0.917%

Nope, Demko wouldn't make a difference at all.

Who said demko doesn't make a difference.  I said he can't scors goals and that's the team's single biggest issue.  They can't outscore their deficincies

• Haha 1