[PGT] Utah (Arizona) @ Vancouver

Iron Man

Just now, OldFaithfulcap said:

Lines are a bit different at practice. I'd rather blueger than linds myself.

On the plus side i think it means we'll see brock back with miller.

IMG_5579.thumb.jpeg.096532808dbee09541adcbdc6ffe0591.jpeg

And podz outside looking in again.  Tocchet makes some mind boggling lineup decisions

• Tank 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Who said demko doesn't make a difference.  I said he can't scors goals and that's the team's single biggest issue.  They can't outscore their deficincies

No he doesn't score goals, but you gotta be an idiot to think Demko in net vs Silovs/DeSmith the past 13 games wouldn't have put the Canucks 3 to 5 points higher in the standings right now due to keeping pucks out of the net.  Scoring is not the single biggest issue across the past 13 games, it's the differential between scoring and goaltending that is the biggest issue. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

46 minutes ago, stawns said:

The start absolutely was crucial, but the back half had much stiffer competition and we all know top teams tighten up after the all star break.

There were many discussions about how tough the schedule was going to be after the all star break.

Tough or important?  At the start of the year, if it makes me right, also said (and don't care that much if i'm wrong) , that the end of the schedule is easier as far as time between games goes, but has two series, Vegas and LA that could determine if we made the playoffs or not.   Turns out the hard work they put into their craft in the summer and to make sure they started off on the right foot, mattered.    

Before the season bought into the experts view, that we were a bubble wildcard team.   And also felt EDM was the clear front runner to win the division.   Was probably the first to say EDM could catch us, and that was way back in November after our great start.    Don't care if that makes me right or wrong.    As far as recent play goes, agree with AJ, to dumb it down, our goaltending hasn't been that good.     Marginal maybe.   It's nothing like last season where we were hanging them out to dry, or when we needed elite goaltending to have a hope and a prayer during Greens tenure.   

As for our D.   Juulsen should slot in.   Believe he did more than enough to earn a spot.     EPs funk has also made things tougher although the signs are there he's ready to do his magic again soon.    Allvin did the right thing by saving some for next season.     Our window is cramped and it's until QHs/Demko get re-signed.   Would you agree on that?   

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Nux are 6-5-2 without Demko since his injury.    

Demko could've won us 2-3 of those games easily. 8-3-2 or even 9-3-1 type thing and we'd have the division and possibly league right now. 

• Cheers 2
  • Desmenko 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

And podz outside looking in again.  Tocchet makes some mind boggling lineup decisions

We don't have a clue how these guys bodies are holding up.   It also doesn't mean that's the line combos on Saturday.    Likely.   Rested guys can bring some juice.    Not a big fan of Aman myself though. 

• Cheers 1

Demko and the PP are the Nucks X factors. Outside of their control is the way officials have been incessantly calling weak penalties against Vancouver. It's almost as if they want a division title showdown to further boost McJesus' based views/revenues.

The boys are righting the ship despite the league and just in time for Stone...That team should be sanctioned somehow.

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Tough or important?  At the start of the year, if it makes me right, also said (and don't care that much if i'm wrong) , that the end of the schedule is easier as far as time between games goes, but has two series, Vegas and LA that could determine if we made the playoffs or not.   Turns out the hard work they put into their craft in the summer and to make sure they started off on the right foot, mattered.    

Before the season bought into the experts view, that we were a bubble wildcard team.   And also felt EDM was the clear front runner to win the division.   Was probably the first to say EDM could catch us, and that was way back in November after our great start.    Don't care if that makes me right or wrong.    As far as recent play goes, agree with AJ, to dumb it down, our goaltending hasn't been that good.     Marginal maybe.   It's nothing like last season where we were hanging them out to dry, or when we needed elite goaltending to have a hope and a prayer during Greens tenure.   

As for our D.   Juulsen should slot in.   Believe he did more than enough to earn a spot.     EPs funk has also made things tougher although the signs are there he's ready to do his magic again soon.    Allvin did the right thing by saving some for next season.     Our window is cramped and it's until QHs/Demko get re-signed.   Would you agree on that?   

Tough

EP's "slump" can lergeky be attributed to tight defensive attention by top teams ramping up for the post season, imo.  He's the guy the focus on neutralizing, with good reason.

Ad for injuries, that's an excuse akin to bad reffing.  Everyone has to deal with it and the top teams continue to play well and win in spite of it.  There's no room for excuses in a results oriented business

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Did I say it was bad? That brings back memories, thanks. 

No , you didn’t suggest it was bad at all. I think that random poster who posed the question to you may look down on wieners though. 

So many times as children we sang the Oscar Mayer song. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

People get real upset at the weirdest things. Oh the handwringing of the schedule early on from some people was laughingly sad. A huge excuse every time we lost a game. From having to wake up 2 hours earlier than usual out East, then the absolute horror 😱 of playing a hockey game at the same time they practice everyday, to having to fly in a plane for a couple hours, and then play hockey games the next day, the handful of back to backs (which were the easiest in the league this year) ... like as if any of this was new. The complaining and angst were off the hook. However, those of us who looked ahead could clearly see the strength of the opposition increased during the back nine. And as you say the league also tightens up in the second half.

To me it looks like a good and reasonable season of hockey. Some ups, some downs. Have we sputtered a bit. Sure, all the teams in the league have. Do we lack the things you mention? Yeah I would agree. Our scoring has dried up, our special teams need work. Hopefully Demko is healthy moving forward. He's a huge component of that winning we were doing. On the other hand, we've been an extremely well coached team. That's the competitive advantage this team has. That and elite game changers, plus a hulking defence, strong work ethic, and a top 5 goalie.

The one thing I don't see you accounting for is that we've been in first for a long time. It affects the way you play and the motivation to keep pushing at 110%. That's where experience or lack there of comes in. We're still in first though with 3 games to play so in that sense they're right where they want to be. I'm not overly critical of their last month or so as a result.

Really it's anyone's Cup to win this year. We could realistically beat anyone without any leaps of logic. Like you said, experience is a real area we are lacking. That's not to be degrading to the team, it's just a fact. Will it matter in the first/second round? We know not at this point.

I think we'll get a great effort from the team. I'm super excited to see it play out and I think a lot of these factors you mention will be meaningless in a week's time. It's a fresh slate with different aspirations completely.

Last year we were out, Schenn was traded, Hronek barely played and was out, and we had an AHL defense aside from QHs and Myers down the stretch.   Do you think the teams in the show were playing us the same way they've been playing us since our hot start and they've been chasing?   Of course not.    It was an easy part of the schedule too no doubt...I'm sure we haven't seen nearly the back up goalies that we saw during the WD-Bruce era either.    It's a totally different ball-game than playing spoilers and looking forward to the draft as "meaningful games". 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Tough

EP's "slump" can lergeky be attributed to tight defensive attention by top teams ramping up for the post season, imo.  He's the guy the focus on neutralizing, with good reason.

Ad for injuries, that's an excuse akin to bad reffing.  Everyone has to deal with it and the top teams continue to play well and win in spite of it.  There's no room for excuses in a results oriented business

Injuries killed Vegas's season, then they won the cup.   That is a legit excuse IMO.   The reffing nope.   That equals out over the year for everyone.   Should see some of the crap other teams have endured too this season.   

Edit: Excuse isn't the right wording.  Reason.   Legit reason why Vegas missed the playoffs. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

There "are" plenty of cracks in this statement. I hate to be that person but if you're going to teach us all about stuff, it matters to me.

"Vastly overachieved" is such a ridiculous angle. A team that "achieves something" deserves the accolades of that, it's not a fluke. Sure, maybe a game or two but to sustain what they did over the year means they're legit. When they built up enough capital that's noteworthy....you think a team should just stay on a trajectory of only winning? Even experienced teams hit skids. So to diminish what they've done with a label of "overachieving" is your deal, not theirs. They achieved that and it matters when Petey's a bit off and Demko's missing. Ignoring this stuff to feed a narrative doesn't make it (that narrative) true. The team's ran a bit colder recently but to cherry pick those moments is ridiculous. What they did earlier counts as much as anything.

But I'm sure if they don't win the cup this'll all be confirmed by some who don't realize that experienced teams will also miss out.

I wish the experts would quit "analyzing" our team and just get behind it for crying out loud.

Winning a round pushes any team forward. Momentum plays into this all BIG TIME...get hot at the right time and sky's the limit.

But only "experienced teams" count? Like the Penguins? Let's hear which of these teams you're awarding the cup to and then we'll see how it plays out.

It's interesting ...

The year Bruce was hired and Green was let go, Green "vastly underachieved" and then Bruce "vastly overachieved".

Now that we've made necessary improvements - coaching staff, management and players - we're a better team, been atop the league all season, clinched the playoff spot, proved a lot of people wrong ... yet we're still vastly overachieving because the "real team" of who they are isn't really that good. Not buying that.

We're not perfect but we're actually a good team for a reason, several reasons, with several dynamics at play, not fluke.

In fact, we actually got a look at that team a year earlier.

The amazing run with Bruce proved what this team was capable of accomplishing when elevating their game. That run proved what this core was capable of with the right pieces in place. THAT's who this team really was and is at their core. They nearly pulled off a miracle. They proved they were a good team. It was just clouded around a terrible season. And it's interesting how that was all minimized as the Bruce bump or Bruce effect. No, at our core, we were actually better than what many thought. The players proved it to both themselves and fans that year. That was reason for hope. Thankfully, PA and JR saw that and made the necessary smart, savvy additions to make this team even better.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

Demko could've won us 2-3 of those games easily. 8-3-2 or even 9-3-1 type thing and we'd have the division and possibly league right now. 

Yeah, you just can't discount what Demko means to the team. I firmly believe this team has been focusing on the playoffs for the last month or more. Playing the right way, spreading out the work load, and not losing their focus on the post-season just to eek out a couple more wins. Being relatively healthy and not pushing like gangbusters to win at all costs is circularly keeping us healthy at the same time. We're also still very much accomplishing objectives as the season ticks by. Not a cause for the panic some choose to portray. Since Feb 1: (We are 13th)

image.thumb.png.cd49088c5b0f9901d41d96827e386008.png

image.thumb.png.8e40a00319541fb03335e4f3b31bf4c2.png

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We don't have a clue how these guys bodies are holding up.   It also doesn't mean that's the line combos on Saturday.    Likely.   Rested guys can bring some juice.    Not a big fan of Aman myself though. 

Really hard to say what is going on. I thought resting Pods was a good idea to give him a refocus period. I like him better than Aman too but who does the coaching staff trust more? 

• ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, stawns said:

Tough

We've definitely got common ground on the reffing...if I was smart it enough to figure out how to add the "dumbest calls ever" videos out there ... you're old enough to have seen plenty!   I'm with you 100% on that.   We have to "beat the refs"  just as much as any other team in the history of the game including right now.   That's a crappy excuse. 

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, you just can't discount what Demko means to the team. I firmly believe this team has been focusing on the playoffs for the last month or more. Playing the right way, spreading out the work load, and not losing their focus on the post-season just to eek out a couple more wins. Being relatively healthy and not pushing like gangbusters to win at all costs is circularly keeping us healthy at the same time. We're also still very much accomplishing objectives as the season ticks by. Not a cause for the panic some choose to portray. Since Feb 1: (We are 13th)

image.thumb.png.cd49088c5b0f9901d41d96827e386008.png

image.thumb.png.8e40a00319541fb03335e4f3b31bf4c2.png

Really hard to say what is going on. I thought resting Pods was a good idea to give him a refocus period. I like him better than Aman too but who does the coaching staff trust more? 

I'm not a coach so what the heck would I know.   

For the record, felt we needed to add a tough SOB on the forward group going into the playoffs.   Love our D.   It's great for the playoffs.  Resting Juulsen is smart.    So is resting Cole.    Soucy too if he needs it (sure he's had some gaffes but who hasn't).   Wait until Soucy stretcher's a guy with a clean hit and the ensuing chaos.   Not that i want that to happen, but this guy can hit.   So can Zadarov.   And we all should remember Tyler Minors. 

As for Aman.   I'd of traded him for cement footed Maroon in an instant. 

Edited by IBatch

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Last year we were out, Schenn was traded, Hronek barely played and was out, and we had an AHL defense aside from QHs and Myers down the stretch.   Do you think the teams in the show were playing us the same way they've been playing us since our hot start and they've been chasing?   Of course not.    It was an easy part of the schedule too no doubt...I'm sure we haven't seen nearly the back up goalies that we saw during the WD-Bruce era either.    It's a totally different ball-game than playing spoilers and looking forward to the draft as "meaningful games". 

Absolutely, completely different situation which I think we've handled admirably well considering where we were this time last year. :canucks: I don't know how anyone could be upset with the season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Absolutely, completely different situation which I think we've handled admirably well considering where we were this time last year. :canucks: I don't know how anyone could be upset with the season.

No shit.

As far as seasons go, it's already up there with one of the greatest regular seasons in club history.   Won't be a twat so will ignore the kid stuff, as an adult, I can't re-call many that we're much better.   Maybe expectations have surpassed reality.   Not sure on that.    Every good season including the peak Sedin years, had its ebbs and flows.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I have been saying this core is one of the best in the league for a couple years now.

We have all the parts needed, at the right age.

I even knew that JT Miller would turn into one of the best all round leaders our team has ever had. I have the receipts to prove it.

Some on here thought they knew a leader when they see one and claimed JT was not. 

Some of those people claim that they have the life experiences to make such judgements. 

Some of those people were wrong and should wind their neck in. 

Exactly this. You're spot on.

The amazing turnaround after Bruce took over proved how good this team really was at their core. THAT'S who this team really is at their core. They proved it. JR and PA added the necessary pieces to make this team even better. That's why this season was so successful. That's why we made the playoffs. We had a good team at the core. It was easy to dismiss that and hide behind the negativity of a losing, terrible season, saying the team wasn't that good. In fact, at their core, they were much better than people wanted to believe.

PA and JR saw how good we were - like you say, with the right parts at the right age - and had the fortitude to not give in to the emotions and make the unpopular changes to turn this team into a winner.

Also, they supported Boeser because they knew what he was capable of accomplishing beyond the personal turmoil, and look at how that turned out - 40 goals and a player realizing his full potential. EDIT: And a player realizing his full potential with us - finally - not trading him away and him having success elsewhere like so many before him.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

And that's exactly where a lot of people said we'd be. Expecting a better record or a pace on par with Demko certainly wasn't talked about when DeSmith took over.

People largely agreed that if we go .500 we're still in good shape.

People arguing that goaltending isn’t the difference is wild.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'm not a coach so what the heck would I know.   

For the record, felt we needed to add a tough SOB on the forward group going into the playoffs.   Love our D.   It's great for the playoffs.  Resting Juulsen is smart.    So is resting Cole.    Soucy too if he needs it (sure he's had some gaffes but who hasn't).   Wait until Soucy stretcher's a guy with a clean hit and the ensuing chaos.   Not that i want that to happen, this guy can hit.   So can Zadarov.   And we all should remember Tyler Minors. 

Ah, you know quite a bit Mr. Batch.

I agree with adding a tough banger, would have theoretically been cheap, but we got to work with what we got. Fast and relentless hopefully. 

I also can't wait for people to see the dynamic Soucy adds. His ability to close time and space with the threat of that big hit keeps the other teams constantly giving up on plays on the boards. Until at which time he absolutely levels someone.  He's so much better at staying within his limits than Zads or Myers imo, as he doesn't get out of position, or completely lost at times. Although he's had a little bit of a rough stretch and given up a couple bad goals lately. I want Myers from the bubble but both he and Zad's got to limit the bad penalties. They will kill us.

Cole should be rested but I'm not sure he will be. I am counting on him knowing exactly what he needs to be ready game one. He was a huge part of our great start.

• Cheers 2