[PGT] Utah (Arizona) @ Vancouver

Iron Man

I do not normally question the officials on calls as it usually evens out a bit.

Thought the referees did not have their best night.  Unless, there were better angles on the penalties, did not like the three the Canucks got - Zadorov "appears" to have got the puck first, Myers and the Coyote player both cross checking each other (both should have been off) and the Boeser trip / interference in OT was difficult to see - was there a better angle to see the last penalty in OT I missed and was it flagrant enough.

Pretty soft calls - hopefully they pick up the officiating in the playoffs and let them play properly.  Good effort coming back though against some misfortune calls in the 3rd. 

Guess the refs got the memo to help pump up Saturdays match 🙂

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, Darius said:

Why do you think they had such a poor start.  Hot shot team from last year, same coach that got fired, walk into game 1 vs the Canucks and got destroyed.   Then they got pummeled in short order two games in the row by the Canucks.  I suspect their issue was a mental issue - i mean its basically the same roster unless you think Perry has made the huge difference.  Id say its not far fetched the Canucks had a large hand that sent them into that tail spin.

Reminds me of was it last season (maybe two) when we couldn’t hold on to the lead and it sent us into a tail spin too

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Darius said:

Why do you think they had such a poor start.  Hot shot team from last year, same coach that got fired, walk into game 1 vs the Canucks and got destroyed.   Then they got pummeled in short order two games in the row by the Canucks.  I suspect their issue was a mental issue - i mean its basically the same roster unless you think Perry has made the huge difference.  Id say its not far fetched the Canucks had a large hand that sent them into that tail spin.

Mcdavid and Ekholm were playing injured and their goalies couldn't stop a beach ball. Fix those 3 things and that team is drastically different.

41 minutes ago, Psycho_Path said:

Plenty of calls they didn't make against Arizona too. Don't have to mention that. It's implied

This isn’t going to be an excuse that the team or the fans can fall back on once the playoffs begin. 

16 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Good game but you have to find a way to win that game. The Coyotes played the other night as well…

Younger team those coyotes are. But yea. Your point stands. Canucks I figured just overlooked this game because the team they’re playing against wasn’t very good. But these points all matter. It would suck if we lost on Saturday. Whoever wins that game pretty much wins the division no? 

20 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Myer's 75 pm's in 74 games +13

4 g 22 asst's

Juulsen 22 pm's in 53 games -1

1 g 6 asst's

Not sure if I'd give Juul's more games than Myer's because of the penalties.

I think we will be needing Myers come the playoffs. Juulsen is a good depth guy. He’s not top four. 

5 minutes ago, Joshua.Guy said:

Mcdavid and Ekholm were playing injured and their goalies couldn't stop a beach ball. Fix those 3 things and that team is drastically different.

And our only issue tonight was our goalie couldn’t stop a beachball and we stopped skating a bit in the 2nd.  Fix those 2 things and this team is drastically different. 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

This isn’t going to be an excuse that the team or the fans can fall back on once the playoffs begin. 

When Arizona is setting picks and holding sticks all night with impunity and they call a phantom high stick  and a tap on the pants on Vancouver it is a legitimate fucking issue. Stop making excuses for mediocre officials. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

And our only issue tonight was our goalie couldn’t stop a beachball and we stopped skating a bit in the 2nd.  Fix those 2 things and this team is drastically different. 

Not really relevant but okay.

• Haha 1

Not the outcome we wanted, but it could be worse. The Canucks remain in first place in the Division and "control their fate". It probably comes down to the game against Edmonton on Saturday. 

Tonight, there were some positives and we learned a few things.

1. One thing we "learned" is that we desperately need a healthy Demko. Silovs had a negative expected goal differential again. The first two goals were both low danger changes--the first from a poor angle and the second from a long way out. They were partially screened but a big part of goaltending is fighting to get a glimpse of the puck, anticipating the shot, and being in the right position. The third goal was a high danger chance with the open man in front and the OT was a cross-seam tap in that Silovs had no chance on.

2. The Canucks were by far the better team tonight.   All-strength Corsi was 75-37, shots were 26-18, scoring chances were 42-16 and high danger chances 19-7. If the Canucks play like that and Demko in goal they probably win 90% of the time. 

3. It took a lot of character to come back to tie the game from a two-goal deficit, despite a bunch of penalties. A lot of people are complaining about the referees, but I think they let some pretty obvious Canuck penalties go. I don't know what Myers was thinking on his penalty. The refs let a flagrant cross-check but then he added two more. Hoggy's penalty came on play where the Arizona player could have been called for interference, but ripping the guy's helmet off is now supposed to be an automatic penalty. And Petey's PP goal came after a pretty soft call. 

4. The Miller line was really good again, and both Miller and Garland came up with big 5-on-5 goals. Petey, Boeser, and Hoggy were also good and, statistically, were the best line on the ice. Nothing wrong with the top 6. 

5. Lindholm came back. He was ok. When Tocchet was asked about him he said he "played hard" and that tonight was big step forward. He did not say that Lindholm actually had a good game. I thought he was ok but he was -2. I especially did not like the second Arizona goal. The Canucks just came back to tie the game and the period was almost over. The guys on the ice have to dig in.  Lindholm failed to keep the puck in at the Arizona blueline and was slow getting back. 

6. Hughes had another big game with 3 assists, becoming the first Canuck D to get 90 pts in a season (after being the first to get 80 and the first to get 70). But he did give puck away on the 3rd Arizona goal. Hughes makes very few mistakes but that was a mistake. PDG should have been covering the man in front and Silovs seemed totally surprised. I guess that the Hughes loses the puck so rarely that both PDG and Silovs were not expecting it and were certainly not ready for it. 

I think the bottom line for this game is the importance of goal tending. Saturday's game is big. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Captkirk888 said:

Better check your math

he’s right. We win our last 3 we end up with 111 points

Soilers win their last 5 they end up with 111 points

We win based on our 45RW to their 43RW

oops nvmnd wrong post and impossible scenario as they play each other lol.

ya i'm wrong i should have said we can afford to lose a game somewhere that's not the edmonton game

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Agree on needing our starter back but still not a playoff effort against a team well below us. 

Dallas just lost to Chicago in regulation. I'm not too worried about it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Younger team those coyotes are. But yea. Your point stands. Canucks I figured just overlooked this game because the team they’re playing against wasn’t very good. But these points all matter. It would suck if we lost on Saturday. Whoever wins that game pretty much wins the division no? 

image.png.2214fce707f848ae27e7d82f71f12dfe.png

Not quite - Canucks could still need to win one of the games against Flames or Jets to control their destiny if the Oilers won out their other 4 games. Canucks with the tiebreaker. 

Canucks 

Canucks - Oilers = W 

Canucks - Flames = [W] 

Canucks - Jets = L 

= 109 PTS

Oilers

Oilers - Coyotes = W 

Oilers - Canucks = L 

Oilers - Sharks = W 

Oilers - Coyotes = W 

Oilers - Colorado = W

= 109 PTS  

*On the bright side, Colorado is jostling for home ice advantage so likely no packing it in for their last game against the Oilers.

image.png.381622c9e6774117b3a1d7bbd05b5845.png

Edited by NHLer

Fun fact - Coyotes are also 2 and 1 against both Colorado and Vegas (who you'd consider contenders). So far they have just faced Edmonton and lost to them once so they may come out with 2 wins still....!! 

Edited by NHLer

image.png.2214fce707f848ae27e7d82f71f12d

My thoughts on how it could play out - 

Canucks 

Canucks - Oilers = OTW

Canucks - Flames = W

Canucks - Jets = L

= 109 PTS

Oilers

Oilers - Coyotes = W

Oilers - Canucks = OTL

Oilers - Sharks = W

Oilers - Coyotes = OTW

Oilers - Colorado = L

= 108 PTS

We better start cheering for the Yotes!! 

Edited by NHLer

So even if the Canucks lose to the Oilers (BUT win the rest), Oilers would need to go perfect the rest of the way with a 5-0 record or a 5-0-1 record to snatch the Pacific. 

Since I can't sleep - here are what I think and hope are most likely playoff match-ups: 

(1) Stars v (8) Kings / Knights

(2) Canucks v (7) Preds

(3) Oilers v (6) Kings / Knights

(4) Jets v (5) Avalanche 

Edited by NHLer

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

When Arizona is setting picks and holding sticks all night with impunity and they call a phantom high stick  and a tap on the pants on Vancouver it is a legitimate fucking issue. Stop making excuses for mediocre officials. 

I’m not making excuses for mediocre reffing. Without a doubt they’ve been terrible. But we gotta find a way to get pass that if we’re going to contend. 

7 minutes ago, NHLer said:

Since I can't sleep - here are what I think and hope are most likely playoff match-ups: 

(1) Stars v (8) Kings / Knights

(2) Canucks v (7) Preds

(3) Oilers v (6) Kings / Knights

(4) Jets v (6) Avalanche 

Those are all brutal series. Especially intrigued about Dallas facing Vegas. I’m not convinced that if we face L.A. that we could keep up with them. I think we lost the season series to them didn’t we? 

16 minutes ago, NHLer said:

So even if the Canucks lose to the Oilers (BUT win the rest), Oilers would need to go perfect the rest of the way with a 5-0 record or a 5-0-1 record to snatch the Pacific. 

That’s going to be tough but not impossible for Edmonton. But I think I heard someone share that they’re playing something like 5 games in 7 nights? Oof. But then again. Some of the teams they’re facing might just rest their star players. I think once positions are confirmed for who’s playing against who. Maybe some playoff teams might rest their players for the postseason. 

• Like 1