Mark Stone cleared for practice

Mark Stone Cleared To Return To Practice

April 12th, 2024 at 11:50am CST • By Josh Erickson

Golden Knights captain Mark Stone has been cleared to return to practice ahead of today’s morning skate, the team announced. He’s been out since sustaining a lacerated spleen on Feb. 20, missing nearly two months and the following 22 games.

Vegas moved Stone to standard injured reserve shortly after exiting the lineup and later to LTIR on March 4, a few days before the trade deadline. The increase in cap relief from Stone’s $9.5MM cap hit allowed GM Kelly McCrimmon to go all out, picking up two of the best players on the market in defenseman Noah Hanifin and center Tomáš Hertl, albeit both with significant salary retention from their former clubs.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/04/mark-stone-cleared-to-return-to-practice.html#ref=home

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Two things can be true

Both the injury and the shenanigans were serious 

We should have spleen these shenanigans coming

STFU Seravelli.  This is the 3rd fucking year in a row.  HUGE EYE ROLL here.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I went from being upset at the NHL for allowing this to being upset at our management. They could have easily played this game as well. Dem wasn’t right and Lindholm was playing through injury. We could have shut these guys down, beefed up our team and “play by the rules”. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, HKSR said:

STFU Seravelli.  This is the 3rd fucking year in a row.  HUGE EYE ROLL here.

Shenanigans 

I'm skeptical of the LTIR bit too idk how you fake a spleen injury short of upselling it's severity 

Just now, PureQuickness said:

This is what we suspected all along. I was half expecting the Stone thing to be embellished by Vegas, but it seems to be true here.  This is cap circumvention, but of course, the league won't retroactively punish a team for doing 'legal' cap circumvention at that moment. You know, unlike the Luongo cap circumvention which was ALSO legal at the time, but had every intention to circumvent.

The NHL is a bush league

Just now, Grandmaster said:

I went from being upset at the NHL for allowing this to being upset at our management. They could have easily played this game as well. Dem wasn’t right and Lindholm was playing through injury. We could have shut these guys down, beefed up our team and “play by the rules”. 

We would've likely been punished though. We were heavily punished for the Luongo contract (which was FULLY legal at that time, but was most definitely intended to circumvent) and other teams were hit hard with this too (but not certain teams).

A team like Vegas should've in theory been retroactively punished, but they won't. It's like the Devils who had their first round pick given back after forfeiting it for the Kovalchuk contract. Lmfao.

• Like 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Shenanigans 

I'm skeptical of the LTIR bit too idk how you fake a spleen injury short of upselling it's severity 

The latter part...

I don't doubt he had the injury.  I doubt the severity of it.  I feel they knew full well that there was a high probability of Stone coming back in time, and just drew things out long enough to circumvent the cap for the 3rd year in a row.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Shenanigans 

It’s a corrupt misdiagnoses. Doctors getting paid off. Not hard to do. I just read about this soccer player who did that regularly to get new contracts but never played a high level game. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The latter part...

I don't doubt he had the injury.  I doubt the severity of it.  I feel they knew full well that there was a high probability of Stone coming back in time, and just drew things out long enough to circumvent the cap for the 3rd year in a row.

I could see the team doing that, yes 

1 minute ago, Grandmaster said:

It’s a corrupt misdiagnoses. Doctors getting paid off. Not hard to do. I just read about this soccer player who did that regularly to get new contracts but never played a high level game. 

I don't even necessarily believe it requires a corrupt misdiagnosis, just the franchise finding ways to milk and draw out the recovery side of it 

It takes a lot of time to become a doctor and doesn't the NHL do it's own medical inquiry? I can buy the argument that league is corrupt but I'm less convinced by the argument of doctor's being willing to risk their license being commonplace 

Is it possible? Sure, but I don't personally buy that angle 

8 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

We would've likely been punished though. We were heavily punished for the Luongo contract (which was FULLY legal at that time, but was most definitely intended to circumvent) and other teams were hit hard with this too (but not certain teams).

A team like Vegas should've in theory been retroactively punished, but they won't. It's like the Devils who had their first round pick given back after forfeiting it for the Kovalchuk contract. Lmfao.

We used the IR loophole back in 2011. Maybe it's something we would have done again this year if we made another trade.

• Cheers 1