[Report] The Arizona Coyotes will be moving to Utah

I've been posting in the expansion thread but I figured this deserves it's own thread

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/arizona-coyotes-players-told-team-is-moving-to-utah/

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2891550/report-coyotes-players-informed-team-moving-to-utah

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

The worst part about this is I heard talk that if Arizona gets another team that the former owner of the Coyotes will get first dibs on them. He fumbled the bag so hard with this team, surely this was just a "sure thing kid" moment. There's no way Arizona should get another team and this cheap ass owner gets first dibs at owning them. But I think Houston and Atlanta get teams before another Arizona team comes. Hopefully anyway. This owner is the reason the Coyotes are playing in a CHL level arena right now and are on their way to a new city.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I am gonna suggest the Utah Bumble Bees given their beehive stateb eblem. 

But they might go with Hornets to make it sound more intimidating. 

3 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

The worst part about this is I heard talk that if Arizona gets another team that the former owner of the Coyotes will get first dibs on them. He fumbled the bag so hard with this team, surely this was just a "sure thing kid" moment. There's no way Arizona should get another team and this cheap ass owner gets first dibs at owning them. But I think Houston and Atlanta get teams before another Arizona team comes. Hopefully anyway. This owner is the reason the Coyotes are playing in a CHL level arena right now and are on their way to a new city.

NHL just have to not expand within 5 years or do it asap before any arena plans to deny that window. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

I've read that as well, but I think a lot of things would have to go right for it to happen. Supposedly there's chatter that executives around the league don't think he'd be able to meet the targets. 

Maybe the NHL will return to ARizona someday but I don't think whatshisname being the owner is guaranteed. 

I think the NHL returning to Atlanta is inevitable, Houston makes too much sense too. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I've read that as well, but I think a lot of things would have to go right for it to happen. Supposedly there's chatter that executives around the league don't think he'd be able to meet the targets. 

Maybe the NHL will return to ARizona someday but I don't think whatshisname being the owner is guaranteed. 

I think the NHL returning to Atlanta is inevitable, Houston makes too much sense too. 

Yeah, I think with the league going to Atlanta and hopefully Houston next it pushes the window too far off for this current Coyotes owner to actually get ownership of the next Arizona team. The league is literally fighting with him to pay their hotel fees. Like come on man. Literal poverty franchise. No home, won't pay hotel fees. Just a joke.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I would think it will be Houston, Altalnta, Kanasa City (Quebec City if Bettman feels generous), and Phoenix if they can figure out arena or Portland if they can't when nhl goes to 36 teams. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Yeah, I think with the league going to Atlanta and hopefully Houston next it pushes the window too far off for this current Coyotes owner to actually get ownership of the next Arizona team. The league is literally fighting with him to pay their hotel fees. Like come on man. Literal poverty franchise. No home, won't pay hotel fees. Just a joke.

If they do go back to Arizona I don't think it'll be sooner than later 

The natural rivalry with Dallas and the state's population and wealth make Houston an appealing landing spot 

Atlanta's the same, large untapped market, big TV market 

If they go back to Atlanta you know the NHL will do their best to make sure they're competitive off the hop 

1 minute ago, 24K said:

I would think it will be Houston, Altalnta, Kanasa City (Quebec City if Bettman feels generous), and Phoenix if they can figure out arena or Portland if they can't when nhl goes to 36 teams. 

I'd love to see Quebec get one but it's hard to see with Bettman at the helm 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

He bought the team for 300 million and it didn't make money.  He's selling for 1 billion, add the 200-300mil relocation fee Smiths paying.  expansion price is going to be 1.5 Billion +.   He's not going to pay that.

• chaos 1