[Report] The Arizona Coyotes will be moving to Utah

I know that Utah has a law that all pro teams must use 'Utah' and not the city name and this has a spelling error, but I think it's cool for the Beehive state's team. 

438119155_834826712022778_5941744705793157919_n.jpg

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/shane-doans-gets-retirement-banner-returned-at-coyotes-final-home-game/

Now apparently (I can't substantiate it but given how the team operated in Arizona, it doesn't surprise me):

"Anyone catch the story about the Coyotes fan who gave Shane Doan his jersey retirement banner after last night’s game?

Apparently the Coyotes left it behind at their former arena in Glendale and never responded to requests to pick it up. Eventually the arena threw it out and this random Coyotes fan fished it out of a dumpster before eventually returning it to Doan."

What a way to show appreciation to a guy that spent his entire 21 year career with that sad sack team (ok, technically he played for three different teams but he merely just moved with the same franchise when it moved/changed names).  I doubt even Aquaman would do that (heh, he was want to sell the banner on ebay for $$$'s before tossing it into the garbage bin).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

So the team definitely needed to move out of Arizona since it didn't have an actual NHL arena to play in... But they're moving to another city that doesn't have an NHL sized arena, the arena in Salt Lake only holds 12,000 for a hockey game.

Kinda seems like they could be possibly moving from a terrible situation to one only marginally better.

Definitely feel sorry for the Coyotes fans though, they don't deserve to lose their team.

35 minutes ago, greenbean30 said:

So the team definitely needed to move out of Arizona since it didn't have an actual NHL arena to play in... But they're moving to another city that doesn't have an NHL sized arena, the arena in Salt Lake only holds 12,000 for a hockey game.

Kinda seems like they could be possibly moving from a terrible situation to one only marginally better.

Definitely feel sorry for the Coyotes fans though, they don't deserve to lose their team.

From my understanding, Ryan Smith has a green light from the City of Salt Lake to build a new arena, and there should be one in the next 4 years.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

56 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/shane-doans-gets-retirement-banner-returned-at-coyotes-final-home-game/

Now apparently (I can't substantiate it but given how the team operated in Arizona, it doesn't surprise me):

"Anyone catch the story about the Coyotes fan who gave Shane Doan his jersey retirement banner after last night’s game?

Apparently the Coyotes left it behind at their former arena in Glendale and never responded to requests to pick it up. Eventually the arena threw it out and this random Coyotes fan fished it out of a dumpster before eventually returning it to Doan."

What a way to show appreciation to a guy that spent his entire 21 year career with that sad sack team (ok, technically he played for three different teams but he merely just moved with the same franchise when it moved/changed names).  I doubt even Aquaman would do that (heh, he was want to sell the banner on ebay for $$$'s before tossing it into the garbage bin).

Just when you think it can't get worse

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, The Brock Star said:

From my understanding, Ryan Smith has a green light from the City of Salt Lake to build a new arena, and there should be one in the next 4 years.

Yup. New fancy rink as part of 2030 Olympics. 

• Cheers 2