[Report] The Arizona Coyotes will be moving to Utah

Meruelo has now pissed off the fans in Tuscon. So for some stupid reason, he's moving the Roadrunners from Tuscon to the Mullett Arena.

So he's moving from a small arena, to an even smaller arena.

How did this guy get money again?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

wow, good for them. 

I think hockey will do well in Utah, better once they build that brand new arena

Maybe interest will tail off for some, but I don't think they'll ever bleed money like Arizona 

Taking on Arizona instead of a traditional expansion team gives them a lot of resources to work with and a chance to really build things how they want, team could have a bright future

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I think hockey will do well in Utah, better once they build that brand new arena

Maybe interest will tail off for some, but I don't think they'll ever bleed money like Arizona 

Taking on Arizona instead of a traditional expansion team gives them a lot of resources to work with and a chance to really build things how they want, team could have a bright future

that AZ owner never lost a cent, that leech made his money off the rest of the league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

that AZ owner never lost a cent, that leech made his money off the rest of the league. 

He didn't, but I don't imagine other owners were thrilled about subsidizing a franchise that couldn't earn

Now they likely won't have to

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He didn't, but I don't imagine other owners were thrilled about subsidizing a franchise that couldn't earn

would you be? I did hear I think Friedman talking about how pissed off other owners were behind the scenes, they were tired of carrying this loser. 

Anywho, it'll be good for the league, maybe bad for us at some point, to have a viable team. 

Smith is certainly buying in at a great time tho, its all picks and promise at the moment, he can probably take the time to build it right. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1

On 4/19/2024 at 11:07 AM, Coconuts said:

Utah is a beautiful, vibrant state. If I ever move to the US it’s Utah or Colorado for me. This will turn out just like it did in Denver. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Utah is a beautiful, vibrant state. If I ever move to the US it’s Utah or Colorado for me. This will turn out just like it did in Denver. 

They better not win the cup in the first year after they move.

• Cheers 1

SALT LAKE CITY -- The players had been introduced to Utah. They’d been greeted by hundreds of youth hockey players at the airport; toured Delta Center and Utah Jazz headquarters; and come back to the arena to find about 12,400 people packed inside for a welcome event.

Now they introduced themselves as Utah’s new NHL team. On stage before a raucous crowd Wednesday, they were supposed to state their names, positions and hometowns one by one. But they were so emotional, so inspired, they couldn’t help but fire up the fans further.

Clayton Keller grabbed the mic and yelled, “Utah! How we doin’?” Lawson Crouse took it and yelled, “Let’s make some more noise!” Nick Bjugstad yelled, “Let’s go!” Liam O'Brien told the fans they could call him “Spicy Tuna,” and Jack McBain led a “Spicy Tuna” chant.

“This is honestly one of the coolest experiences we’ve all had as hockey players,” Alex Kerfoot told the crowd.

A week ago, the Arizona Coyotes finished their season. The next day, the NHL Board of Governors voted to establish a new team in Utah, which would acquire the Coyotes hockey assets. The players had mixed emotions, unsure of their future.

Utah wanted to give them a look at their new home and arranged a series of events.

Suddenly, they could be excited about where they were headed. Utah has 29,000 season-ticket deposits and counting.

“I know what it’s like for them and what they’re feeling when they see you and they see you cheer like that,” general manager Bill Armstrong told the crowd. “You have no idea what that means to us, to be loved.”

NHL.com followed along as the executives, coaches, players, staff and their families visited Utah on Wednesday:

10:27 a.m. MT

The Delta plane stopped on the tarmac, and hundreds of youth hockey players, parents and coaches waited in the hangar holding homemade signs. “WELCOME TO UTAH!” “UTAH [HEARTS] HOCKEY!” “WELCOME HOME!” One sign had a map of Utah, a star for Salt Lake City and directions: “You are here.”

With music rocking in the background, the kids chanted: “Let’s go, Utah! Let’s go!” The players disembarked in black hoodies with the NHL shield and “UTAH EST. 2024.” As they walked down the steps, they took in the scene and broke into smiles.

“I had tears coming down my face,” Armstrong said.

The scene sent a message.

“I think just to really let them know that we’re really excited about this, that we wanted an NHL team for a long time, that they’re going to have a lot of support and have a lot of fans here,” said Bobbi Jaramillo, who brought her 10-year-old daughter, Addison, a left wing for the Davis County Wind. “I think this is a great place for hockey to grow.”

The players took their time and signed autographs. Sometimes it was so wholesome it hurt. Josh Brown introduced himself to kids by saying simply, “I’m Josh. Josh Brown.” Liam Cevallos, a 10-year-old who plays at the Utah Olympic Oval, held a sign that said, “ONE DAY I WILL BE LIKE YOU.”

“We’re super excited to be here,” Keller said. “Stepping off the plane was unbelievable.”

The players gathered in a hallway at Delta Center, standing in front of a huge sign that said, “NHL IN UTAH.” Ryan and Ashley Smith own Utah’s NHL and NBA teams, which will share the arena. Jazz president Jim Olson gave a guided tour.

“This is your home,” Olson told the players.

They walked down the hallway, turned the corner and walked onto the ice. The arena will host 16,200 for hockey next season, with 12,000 unobstructed seats, but it will be renovated over two or three years to host more than 17,000 for hockey.

“My first impression when I walk in the building is being sad to think I have to wait four, five months to get back,” coach Andre Tourigny said. “I cannot wait to get on the ice. I think it’s exciting to have an opportunity to build something with our fans.”

The players gathered in a hallway at Delta Center, standing in front of a huge sign that said, “NHL IN UTAH.” Ryan and Ashley Smith own Utah’s NHL and NBA teams, which will share the arena. Jazz president Jim Olson gave a guided tour.

“This is your home,” Olson told the players.

They walked down the hallway, turned the corner and walked onto the ice. The arena will host 16,200 for hockey next season, with 12,000 unobstructed seats, but it will be renovated over two or three years to host more than 17,000 for hockey.

“My first impression when I walk in the building is being sad to think I have to wait four, five months to get back,” coach Andre Tourigny said. “I cannot wait to get on the ice. I think it’s exciting to have an opportunity to build something with our fans.”

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

wow, I guess if you don't drink or dance you have a lot of energy left over for stuff. 

At least they'll probably sell well, I'm kind of rooting for them tbh 

It'd be neat to see what an organization willing to spend could do with all those picks, prospects, and young players 

I'm not expecting much any time soon given they've Dallas, Colorado, and Winnipeg jockeying in their division, plus lesser tier teams in Minnesota, Nashville, and St. Louis, but they could maybe overtake one of these teams sooner than later if they build things right 

Both the Pacific and Central have tough ladders to climb for middling to lesser teams 

Edited by Coconuts

Just now, Coconuts said:

At least they'll probably sell well, I'm kind of rooting for them tbh 

It'd be neat to see what an organization willing to spend could do with all those picks, prospects, and young players 

I'm not expecting much any time soon given they've Dallas, Colorado, and Winnipeg jockeying in their division, plus lesser tier teams in Minnesota, Nashville, and St. Louis, but they could maybe overtake one of these teams sooner than later if they build things right 

I suspect that its going to be very well run. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

I suspect that its going to be very well run. 

Here's hoping 

I won't root for the team itself, but I am rooting for the organization to do well, it's better for everyone if they do 

• MillerTime 1