GDT Saturday April 13, 2024 7:00pm PDT SN, CBC, CITY, TVAS2 AM650SNP Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers Rogers Place

Goal_thecup

Just now, DeNiro said:

Did we not think he was a goal scorer?

That wasn’t the issue…

Toc was the issue.

You use the players you have and try to get the most out them.

Trying to turn him into a grinder was ridiculous.

What are we 27th in goals for since the all star break? Not exactly overflowing with scoring talent. 

• Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Every team that goes far in the playoffs have star players that buy into a system.

All Kuzmenko has shown is that he can score when the pressures off and expectations are low.

Sounds like the rest of the team right now eh, the pressures ramping up the goals drying up. 

• Confused 1
  • Wiener 1

14 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Kuz hattrick

what a time to sell so low

It was a tough one to swallow, but it just wasn’t happening with him and Toc. And perhaps the fact Kuz is -13 despite scoring a bunch with the flames is a sign of his ongoing defensive deficiencies. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Conscience said:

Sounds like the rest of the team right now eh, the pressures ramping up the goals drying up. 

Are you sure you're on the right discussion board my friend?

Kuzmenko is a one dimensional player. He's been scoring lots of goals in Calgary but is he still not a -10 or something.

Who cares if you score 20 if you let in 40. Goal differential wins a game not how many goals you score.

Give me an example of a recent cup winner or cup finalist who had a Kuzmenko-like player on their playoff roster making any sort of impact

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Every team that goes far in the playoffs have star players that buy into a system.

All Kuzmenko has shown is that he can score when the pressures off and expectations are low.

Bingo

8 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Toc was the issue.

What are we 27th in goals for since the all star break? Not exactly overflowing with scoring talent. 

He clearly wasn't going to work in RT's system and RT isn't really very good at deviating from that system or managing highly skilled players.  Kuz had to go

However, I will always think that RT eroded any trade value that Kuz had and if they suspected  it was going to be an issue in the summer, then PA dropped the ball there too

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, bh90 said:

Are you sure you're on the right discussion board my friend?

Kuzmenko is a one dimensional player. He's been scoring lots of goals in Calgary but is he still not a -10 or something.

Who cares if you score 20 if you let in 40. Goal differential wins a game not how many goals you score.

Give me an example of a recent cup winner or cup finalist who had a Kuzmenko-like player on their playoff roster making any sort of impact

Yes all the goals allowed are on kuz ur right. Definitely couldn't be because of a tanking team thats traded 3 of their top 6 defenseman away this season.

also theres a ton of offensive players that have struggled with defense on cup winning teams.

Edited by Conscience
  • Wiener 1

Just now, JamesB said:

I have to agree with this assessment. Kuzy was never going to fit into Tocchet's system.

I like Kuzy and obviously he has a lot of offensive skills. But Tocchet is the favorite for the Adams Award and for good reason.

I like RT for bringing defensive structure to a group of players who desperately needed it, but I don't find him to be a great coach otherwise. 

He's really coached the skill out of this team and the way he manages the roster is mind boggling at best

• Cheers 1

I was lucky enough to be that Canuck season opener when the beat Edmonton 8-1.

I think it is fair to say that everyone was shocked by that result.

Would love to see the Canucks do that again on Saturday to bookend the regular season. (But I will settle for any kind of win.)

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Toc was the issue.

No they wanted an offensive player who wasn't a defensive liability.

How is having an active stick, hungry on the puck, working hard on the boards stifling? If anything, being more aggressive to get the puck back will lead to more offence.

He seemed to try for a little bit, then got frustrated and gave up.

I don't get why this is hard to understand? When Scotty Bowman got Yzerman to play a 200 ft game. That helped Detroit win cups.

• Upvote 1
  • Wiener 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No they wanted an offensive player who wasn't a defensive liability.

How is having an active stick, hungry on the puck, working hard on the boards stifling? If anything, being more aggressive to get the puck back will lead to more offence.

He seemed to try for a little bit, then got frustrated and gave up.

I don't get why this is hard to understand? When Scotty Bowman got Yzerman to play a 200 ft game. That helped Detroit win cups.

Im against selling a player at his all time lowest value, is that hard to understand?

• Wiener 1

2 minutes ago, Conscience said:

Im against selling a player at his all time lowest value, is that hard to understand?

So if he stayed. And still didn't score how was his value going to go up here? Can't go back in time and trade him in Preseason.

Edited by Ghostsof1915

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

He didn't get Rick's message. 

21 pts in 43 games with the Canucks, and 19 pts in 25 games with Calgary and 8 pts in the last 8 games. Lindholm had 32 pts in 49 games and 9 pts in 23 games. It's definitely looking like Tocchet gave up on Kuzzy too soon.