Chatfield and Forsling

I think we sometimes give up too early on players. Chatfield had a great energy and love for the game about him...a lot of jump. 

He only played a dozen and a half games for us...there's obviously a bit of a settling in period after players hit the NHL. 

I wanted him to stay. 

I didn't know as much about Forsling but it seems that we let a good one get away there.

7 hours ago, Jigsaw said:

Watching these two in the playoffs last year makes me think… what if we still had them? We would be further ahead and Myers wouldn’t even be here.🤷‍♂️

Wow! This was the first hockey post I've read today . Are we not at the stage where we supposed to be " Yah! It's Cup this year baby!!!

🤩    🤩    🤩                           

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Forsling keeps coming up of course because he found his game... after being traded by us, then Chicago, waived by Carolina (after no games played), and finally finding a home in FLA in his draft +8 year I believe. 

If anything, Forsling is a story about personal perseverance, vs. GMs missing on a guy. He didn't show anything for a very long time. 

It took a while for a lot of ex-Canucks to find their game.  McCann is the strongest example, since he would've been our top goal-scorer this year.

Our failures are the result from years of futile playoff pushes, where we either crashed out early or failed to even qualify altogether.  Despite having one of the worst prospect pools 2 years ago, we have finally started to see some improvements.  Hopefully the last decade has taught management to avoid trading kids/picks for rentals, and hanging onto good players whenever possible.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

It took a while for a lot of ex-Canucks to find their game.  McCann is the strongest example, since he would've been our top goal-scorer this year.

Our failures are the result from years of futile playoff pushes, where we either crashed out early or failed to even qualify altogether.  Despite having one of the worst prospect pools 2 years ago, we have finally started to see some improvements.  Hopefully the last decade has taught management to avoid trading kids/picks for rentals, and hanging onto good players whenever possible.

it happens to every team, some guys need to move on to find their game. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

it happens to every team, some guys need to move on to find their game. 

I only agree to a certain extent.  Some guys moved on for no good reason.  Tofu and Stretch left for no good reason.  We have lost a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks for no good reason.

But then other times, we've held onto young players that show no promise until all their value is gone.  Feels like we traded away anyone who had real potential while keeping the busts.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Forsling keeps coming up of course because he found his game... after being traded by us, then Chicago, waived by Carolina (after no games played), and finally finding a home in FLA in his draft +8 year I believe. 

If anything, Forsling is a story about personal perseverance, vs. GMs missing on a guy. He didn't show anything for a very long time. 

Sounds like Michael Grabner, who we traded in the Ballard trade. He was traded to Florida, but didn't see success until he was waived.

1 hour ago, Miss Korea said:

I only agree to a certain extent.  Some guys moved on for no good reason.  Tofu and Stretch left for no good reason.  We have lost a lot of 1st and 2nd round picks for no good reason.

But then other times, we've held onto young players that show no promise until all their value is gone.  Feels like we traded away anyone who had real potential while keeping the busts.

yeah old Jimbo made some gaffes for sure. I don't see Forsling as one of them given how much had to happen to him to make him what he is now. 

• Cheers 1

Most people wanted Rafferty and Briseboise over Chatfield in the bubble. Now he's the missing piece.

Forsling passed through waivers after we traded him, albeit at the start of the season. The CBA is set up so slower developing players can get a shot at some point. It happens all the time.

12 hours ago, Jigsaw said:

Watching these two in the playoffs last year makes me think… what if we still had them? We would be further ahead and Myers wouldn’t even be here.🤷‍♂️

Both players took multiple teams to show they could play. Forsling is the better player, and seemed like he could amount to something, so I never really understood the trade but am not as upset as many. We can always look back at trades and see what a player amounts to 6-7 years later, sometimes its good, sometimes its bad. I think alot of people underestimate how lucky Forsling was to land on a very good defensive team like FLA when it was really his last kick at the NHL can. It allowed him to be sheltered. We didn't have that ability. I think had Forsling ended up in say Anaheim or SJ we'd be having a much different discussion. As for Chatfield. He's a dime a dozen and don't think anything of him as a "loss". He's basically an Ethan Bear.

Edited by BlockerHigh

3 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

This group seems more focused on development and  not rushing guys. Alot of people complain about the bottom 6 guys we signed this year, but they are all on short term contracts, cheap and there so we can actually not RUSH players like we did with McCann, OJ, and Jake. Now would they all have developed? Who knows, but there would have been a better chance if they had some time in Junior then the AHL....This group has said they want to "over ripen" players in the minors, which is what they did in Pittsburgh. I don't think we'll see that 'rushed' attitude with this group, and they've shown that with both Podz and Hogz. They could have kept them up and maybe busted them...instead, sent them to Abby to have less pressure, gain their confidence, and fix the holes in their games. That's the right approach.

Just now, Barn Burner said:

I didn't like that deal right off the bat. Hindsight's 20/20, but I at least wanted to give the kid a chance. 

Yeah he was showing some good promise. Granted, it ended up taking a long time for him to blossom, but now he's a solid #2 D, maybe even close to a low end #1 D.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, TheBrockStar said:

Forsling just hurts. 

Nah. He's been through 4 teams.

We traded him to Chicago and then they didn't want him either.

Traded to Carolina and they put him on waivers. He even cleared. Any number of teams could have claimed him, and they didnt.

Carolina put him on waivers a 2nd time and then Panthers finally picked him up.

It happens.

I'm glad he's having himself a good career but there's really nothing to feel bad or angry about imo

Edited by Canuckle
  • Cheers 1

The reason why I did not love that Forsling trade was there were red flags about Clendening. The Hawks needs defenseman on the right side and yet they were content letting this guy walk. On Hfboards there were quite a few Hawks fans who regularly saw him play in Rockford who were also convinced that he was career AHLer. I think Forsling would have eventually made our team, considering our depth on the blue line has been lacking. When the Hawks traded him Bowman was trying to compete and they were trying to shore up their blue line in De Haan and people forget but Saarela at the time had quite a bit of hype as well. Carolina's D has been stacked for ages now, a lot of defenseman in the NHL would not have cracked their roster.